Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am

There are no refugees living in detention centres
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Q. wrote:Not sure if you've noticed but we've been torturing refugees in offshore detention for a couple of years now because it makes a great political wedge in a carefully crafted climate of fear.

No I haven't noticed that, I have noticed asylum seekers who do things the right way get treated well. Have also noticed asylum seekers who get food, clothes & a roof over their head, complain the process is taking too long, decide to riot & burn down said roofs, resist arrest & then complain of being dealt harshly.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Q. wrote:
Of course, vote in your own interest. No good reason for you to vote for a party that might abolish negative gearing and superannuation rorts etc.

That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?

I will as does everyone else, and as I’ve said many times, I haven’t voted either Liberal or Labor for over 20 years

How do you rort superannuation?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:[quote="Q."]
The opposition, the media and finally the public overwhelmingly decided debt reduction was needed prior to 2013 election.

The failure of mainstream media to hold the LNP to the same hysteria from five years ago confirms it's bias.

If the LNP get voted out it won't be on the back of this debt, it will be on the back of wage stagnation.

That's the problem when you get on the debt train. You can't get off without pain
I've given up worrying about it Q. Like everyone else; it's someone else's problem
My wage is fine and I have no household debt. Not my problem
If Labor get into power and attack my wealth; I'll just move overseas

Of course, vote in your own interest. No good reason for you to vote for a party that might abolish negative gearing and superannuation rorts etc.

That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?

Also interested in what you mean by that.
Not sure if you've noticed but we've been torturing refugees in offshore detention for a couple of years now because it makes a great political wedge in a carefully crafted climate of fear.[/quote]

Labor were just as bad in that regard. Both of them have blood in their hands in that regard
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:58 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:Not sure if you've noticed but we've been torturing refugees in offshore detention for a couple of years now because it makes a great political wedge in a carefully crafted climate of fear.

No I haven't noticed that, I have noticed asylum seekers who do things the right way get treated well. Have also noticed asylum seekers who get food, clothes & a roof over their head, complain the process is taking too long, decide to riot & burn down said roofs, resist arrest & then complain of being dealt harshly.

That's a lovely picture you paint. Unfortunately it isn't close to the truth.

Here's a document with factual detail of the conditions of detention:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3461339-Communication-Regarding-the-Situation-on-Manus.html#document/p1
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:Labor were just as bad in that regard. Both of them have blood in their hands in that regard

Yes, they support the current policy.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:How do you rort superannuation?

Superannuation tax concessions. They are being accrued mostly by the top 10% of households.

The top 20 per cent of households receive 60 per cent of tax concessions, worth $17.8 billion. Compare this to the bottom 50 per cent of households who only get 11 per cent of the tax concessions, worth $3.35 billion.

Get rid of them and you deliver $20 billion to the national budget bottom line.
Q.
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Q. wrote:That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?

I you feel like things aren’t going to improve for you, you might as well make yourself feel better by making someone else feel worse.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3461339-Communication-Regarding-the-Situation-on-Manus.html#document/p1

So who's rioting & setting fire to all the detention centres
cracka
Veteran

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Gee, I wonder why.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:

You know the answer and so you'd also know why.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:50 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:

Q. wrote:You know the answer and so you'd also know why.

I reckon you do to, but it doesn't suit your argument
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:57 pm

cracka wrote:I reckon you do to, but it doesn't suit your argument

That doesn't make sense.

You know that the initial riot on Manus started because a refugee died after being ill for several months and having several requests for medical assistance being ignored.

I posted above a document detailing the crimes against humanity that have occurred in our offshore detention that you clearly don't want to know about. Children in detention literally want to commit suicide, but you somehow think that's okay because 'politics'.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Q. wrote:

That doesn't make sense.

You know that the initial riot on Manus started because a refugee died after being ill for several months and having several requests for medical assistance being ignored.

I posted above a document detailing the crimes against humanity that have occurred in our offshore detention that you clearly don't want to know about. Children in detention literally want to commit suicide, but you somehow think that's okay because 'politics'.

I haven't read it yet because I'm on my phone. When was the initial riot. It doesn't make sense that the Libs have closed Manus Island down yet they don't want to move.
No I don't think its ok because its politics,stupid thing to say.
cracka
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:

That doesn't make sense.

I haven't read it yet because I'm on my phone. When was the initial riot. It doesn't make sense that the Libs have closed Manus Island down yet they don't want to move.
No I don't think its ok because its politics,stupid thing to say.

The are being resettled in other parts of PNG right?

That notoriously safe and welcoming country where we are trying to dump people?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm half way through it & there are some terrible things happening, I agree. However it contradicts your claim below of it being just a LNP issue as a lot of the atrocities happened when the ALP were in government.
Q. wrote:That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Further reading has found some of the atrocities were committed by the asylum seekers themselves then they complain of being mistreated after they've murdered someone.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm

cracka wrote:I'm half way through it & there are some terrible things happening, I agree. However it contradicts your claim below of it being just a LNP issue as a lot of the atrocities happened when the ALP were in government.

Have agreed it's a policy supported by both parties - viewtopic.php?p=2225934#p2225934

'Tough on Immigration' has been a selling point for both parties. My original statement was inferring that at what point does it not become a wedge issue and rising income inequality become one instead.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm

cracka wrote:Further reading has found some of the atrocities were committed by the asylum seekers themselves then they complain of being mistreated after they've murdered someone.

Outsourcing offshore detention is clearly failing and costing us billions in the process.
Q.
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Q:

The "document" is an opinion piece and contains no evidence that would convict any person or entity in the modern world. I stand to be corrected but the seventeen authors have not gained any knowledge by observation or corroborated testimony,

The use of the term refugee like the term asylum seeker is widely used as an catch all by persons and their supporters to gain support, both emotionally and financially. This does not preclude that some of it may be accurate.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2087 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics