Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Tradition generally.

They'll never swap the Melbourne or Sydney dates.

Eh that sucks, Brisbane get crap crowds anyway, Perth/Adelaide would've got plenty more hosting the first test of the Ashes series.

For 3 test series, i'd be keen to see Boxing Day MCG, New Years Test SCG and then a 3rd rubber a week later.

Mix it up, make it interesting haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:The Adelaide Oval is set to host the opening Test of next Summer with a Day/Night contest against India. Matches to follow in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

Sri Lanka will be here in January for 2 Tests in Brisbane and Tassie.

Was actually wondering the other day why they don't mix up the test order for series.

Tradition generally.

They'll never swap the Melbourne or Sydney dates.

South African cricket has been trying to get us to play a Boxing Day Test over there for years, they offered massive money once and CA said "thanks but no thanks".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Bring back the triangular series too.. better yet quadrangular series including Australia A.. ah they were the days way back when! 8) :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 pm

The Bedge wrote:Bring back the triangular series too.. better yet quadrangular series including Australia A.. ah they were the days way back when! 8) :D

Nah ODIs suck too. More test cricket. 6 or 7 tests per summer would be awesome.

After the traditional 5 or 6 tests, we should bring out Ireland or Afghanistan or Zimbabwe and play them too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Bring back the triangular series too.. better yet quadrangular series including Australia A.. ah they were the days way back when! 8) :D

After the traditional 5 or 6 tests, we should bring out Ireland or Afghanistan or Zimbabwe and play them too.

Nah need to have some ODIs in there still, absolutely would love to see Ireland, Afghan or Zimbabwe come out bit more too, may not be big draw cards but good for their development and the novelty of seeing a new side would be good.

Break up the tests and ODIs though instead of playing them in blocks.. have an ODI or two between test matches and extended break between tests to accommodate.. maybe go to the old domestic format - a test match followed by an ODI.. :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Nah need to have some ODIs in there still, absolutely would love to see Ireland, Afghan or Zimbabwe come out bit more too, may not be big draw cards but good for their development and the novelty of seeing a new side would be good.

Break up the tests and ODIs though instead of playing them in blocks.. have an ODI or two between test matches and extended break between tests to accommodate.. maybe go to the old domestic format - a test match followed by an ODI.. :D

I always liked the ODI's, good mixture between strategies, clean hitting and tight bowling.

I like the way the momentum can change within a few overs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Bringing the minnows out is good for them but does nothing for cricket Australia surely?
Who is going to rush out and buy a ticket to watch them play at Adelaide Oval?

With the cost of going to the cricket now playing a part I'd save my coin for the real teams.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Why not play those games in cairns and Darwin etc like they did with Bangladesh back in the day?

I’m sure somewhere like Canberra would love to host a test too.

Doesn’t have to be at Adelaide Oval.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:Why not play those games in cairns and Darwin etc like they did with Bangladesh back in the day?

yeh it would have to be a small 10,000 seat stadium like in Cities you mentioned if any.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I always liked the ODI's, good mixture between strategies, clean hitting and tight bowling.

I like the way the momentum can change within a few overs.

Bang on LM.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Bringing the minnows out is good for them but does nothing for cricket Australia surely?
Who is going to rush out and buy a ticket to watch them play at Adelaide Oval?

With the cost of going to the cricket now playing a part I'd save my coin for the real teams.
Reckon Bangladesh are almost good enough for a 'summer' series, Ireland and Afghanistan would appreciate 'winter' matches
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Bangladesh beat us over there so it probably is time for them.
Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe are years away though if ever.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I wasn’t saying replace ODIs entirely, but 3 per nation is more than enough imo. I doubt there would be enough interest for the old triangular series anymore
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 pm

The two non Australian teams was always the problem when they played. Low ratings and attendance

I too love the one dayers
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Bangladesh beat us over there so it probably is time for them.
Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe are years away though if ever.
Bangers a complete unknown in Australian conditions is the only concern. But surely they could do no worse than the West Indies.
heater31

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Brodlach wrote:The two non Australian teams was always the problem when they played. Low ratings and attendance

I too love the one dayers
Also the host nation owed each team an ODI at home as compensation.
heater31

Postby David Brent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Why not play those games in cairns and Darwin etc like they did with Bangladesh back in the day?

I’m sure I read yesterday that Canberra have been given a test match next year.

Hobart missing out I believe but could be wrong.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby RB » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Have the Bangas (or Ireland or Zimbabwe or Afghanistan) play tests in August in Darwin, Cairns and then maybe Brisbane/South Queensland (not at the Gabba though).
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm

David Brent wrote:

I’m sure I read yesterday that Canberra have been given a test match next year.

Hobart missing out I believe but could be wrong.

Yes, next summer is a 4 test series against India in Perth (Optus Stadium), Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, followed by a 2 test series against Sri Lanka in Canberra and Brisbane.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Lynn faces three weeks on sidelines

Six-hitting sensation Chris Lynn's rotten luck with injuries has batsman in danger of missing one-day series with calf issue

Batting superstar Chris Lynn is under an injury cloud and reportedly in danger of missing the upcoming Gillette ODI Series and the remainder of the KFC BBL.

Lynn had scans on his injured calf on Saturday and is in doubt for Brisbane Heat's next match against Hobart on Wednesday.

A Cricket Australia spokesperson told News Corp that national selectors will wait on Lynn's availability for Wednesday's game before they consider naming a replacement for him in the ODI squad.

Lynn picked up the injury in the Heat's win against the Perth Scorchers and could face up to three weeks on the sidelines.

Dumped batsman Glenn Maxwell would be among the frontrunners to replace Lynn should the Queenslander be ruled out of the series against England, which starts on Sunday, while in-form batsmen Shaun Marsh, Usman Khawaja and Victorian Peter Handscomb could also be considered.

Lynn has had a torrid run of luck on the injury front in recent years; he underwent yet another shoulder operation last year and has also been troubled by a sore hamstring this summer.

Consequently, he has been used in low-traffic areas of the field for the Heat this season and has been restricted to underarms and throwing with his non-dominant right-hand.

Heat teammate Brendon McCullum, New Zealand's former captain, said on Sunday night that Australian selectors needed to be cautious with the right-hander given his injury history.

"Personally, I would have liked to have seen him being kept until the T20 (internationals next month)," McCullum told Channel Ten on Sunday.

"Then they can introduce him and get him back into the fold.

"But you'd never turn down the opportunity to play for his country and I know 'Lynny' was very excited about it.

"Unfortunately at the moment he does have his limitations from a body point of view.

"It's just a matter of looking after him and protecting him in the field. He'll win you games with the bat."
Lynn had also played down his own chances of returning to 50-over cricket this summer as he battles back to full fitness.

"I kind of wrote my chances of playing for Australia off this season, just due to the shoulder recon, so to get the call-up again is very exciting," the 27-year-old said earlier this week.

"I know there's a good opportunity there to really cement a spot and there's an opportunity there for me to be a long-term player in the green and gold
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket