Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Q. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:In the car with my 10 year old daughter today and she blurts out "I know Santa isn't real". I know I've probably been lucky it's taken this long for the penny to drop but still my first thought was sadness. More so when she followed it up with her best friend finding out a couple of years back, they grow up too quick.
She could always take up a religion if she wants to continue the tradition of believing in imaginary figures

I know it's drivel, but when the reality that they know it's crap smacks you between the eyes it still stings. The sooner they grow up the sooner the pain starts, on both sides.

What do you mean by the last sentence? Curious newbie father asking.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby JK » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:In the car with my 10 year old daughter today and she blurts out "I know Santa isn't real". I know I've probably been lucky it's taken this long for the penny to drop but still my first thought was sadness. More so when she followed it up with her best friend finding out a couple of years back, they grow up too quick.
She could always take up a religion if she wants to continue the tradition of believing in imaginary figures

I know it's drivel, but when the reality that they know it's crap smacks you between the eyes it still stings. The sooner they grow up the sooner the pain starts, on both sides.

I'd imagine Grenville isn't comfortable knowing little Grenville has lost that degree of innocence and the little one is close to discovering life isn't all
Peaches and Roses.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Grenville » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:

Not trying to sound soppy and emotional mate but a dad always hopes that their kids never grow up. You always want to shield them from the world, when they start discovering even comparatively mundane things as Santa they start finding out the world ain't exactly a paradise. You seem like a pretty rounded and sensible bloke, all you can do is do your best. You'll be right lad.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I know it's drivel, but when the reality that they know it's crap smacks you between the eyes it still stings. The sooner they grow up the sooner the pain starts, on both sides.[/quote]

What do you mean by the last sentence? Curious newbie father asking.[/quote]

I'd imagine Grenville isn't comfortable knowing little Grenville has lost that degree of innocence and the little one is close to discovering life isn't all
Peaches and Roses.[/quote]

Correct weight, you just hope you've been doing the right thing by them preparing them for the real world.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Q. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:[quote="Grenville"]In the car with my 10 year old daughter today and she blurts out "I know Santa isn't real". I know I've probably been lucky it's taken this long for the penny to drop but still my first thought was sadness. More so when she followed it up with her best friend finding out a couple of years back, they grow up too quick.

Not trying to sound soppy and emotional mate but a dad always hopes that their kids never grow up. You always want to shield them from the world, when they start discovering even comparatively mundane things as Santa they start finding out the world ain't exactly a paradise. You seem like a pretty rounded and sensible bloke, all you can do is do your best. You'll be right lad.[/quote]If I can get him to his first birthday without losing him down the side of the couch I'll consider that a win
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Grenville » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 pm

They bounce, you'll be right.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Wedgie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:43 am

I couldn't wait for mine to grow up so they could drive me home from the pub! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 pm

JK wrote:I'd imagine Grenville isn't comfortable knowing little Grenville has lost that degree of innocence and the little one is close to discovering life isn't all
Peaches and Roses.

Although I'm not a parent, I can definitely relate to this. I can recall the pain when I realised life wasn't all Guns N' Roses.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:I'd imagine Grenville isn't comfortable knowing little Grenville has lost that degree of innocence and the little one is close to discovering life isn't all
Peaches and Roses.

Although I'm not a parent, I can definitely relate to this. I can recall the pain when I realised life wasn't all Guns N' Roses.

Don't you cry.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby JK » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Magellan wrote:
Peaches and Roses.

That was a turbulent time for many of us :(
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Peaches and Roses.

Don't you cry.

Like when you see an ex-girlfriend who now has kids, and you think to yourself "You Could Be Mine."
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Peaches and Roses.

Don't you cry.

Like when you see an ex-girlfriend who now has kids, and you think to yourself "You Could Be Mine."

I swear sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Peaches and Roses.

Don't you cry.

But, now you’re just Estranged.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:23 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:Although I'm not a parent, I can definitely relate to this. I can recall the pain when I realised life wasn't all Guns N' Roses.

Don't you cry.

But, now you’re just Estranged.

Sounds like Double Talkin' Jive.
Magellan
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 am

The poor workers at Thomas Foods in Murray Bridge. 1400 people could be out of work. It will affect my work big time too.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:12 am

12 minutes in and it's decidedly freaking dull.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am

Booney wrote:12 minutes in and it's decidedly freaking dull.

yep. first day back here and its a struggle.

however i have just recieved a call that has brightened my day considerably. a mate just rang and asked how many beers ill need to get through my first day back, so im meeting him at a pub in less than an hour :)

wait, that should be in things that i rate.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:29 am

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:12 minutes in and it's decidedly freaking dull.

yep. first day back here and its a struggle.

however i have just recieved a call that has brightened my day considerably. a mate just rang and asked how many beers ill need to get through my first day back, so im meeting him at a pub in less than an hour :)

wait, that should be in things that i rate.....

It's a little brighter here, too. The cricket is on and there's beers in the fridge from the Xmas party. Just need to work out how I get my holiday afternoon nap in. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am

still on leave until the 15th...suffer lads :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Still working...and on thursday the joys of 12hr days kick on for a month....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion