Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Increasingly it's rich white families that play cricket..

Why do you think that is? Is it cost? Is it workload/commitment demands?

Surely if these are factors - particularly at struggling clubs - then they should sit down and nut out some work arounds? If I had half a dozen kids who could play the game very well, I sure as hell would be doing whatever I could to ensure that cost wasn't an issue to stop them playing.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 am

Not just cost but yes that's part of it. The endless equipment required for cricket compared to just a pair of shoes for most sports is astronomical.

But it's more that you do what your parents did. If your dad played cricket or your parents are cricket fans, then there's a good chance that their kids will give it a try. Anglo saxon families often know cricket and gravitate towards it. Families from some areas of Asia, Europe, elsewhere have no familiarity with the sport so don't play - and there are increasing numbers of these families north and south.

Cricket is still strong in colleges and at schools in inner east, inner south, inner north and Glenelg-Henley beachside areas. Good numbers. No schools play further north or south. No interest.

Generally speaking, very young kids (4-6 year olds) are less skillful than they were a generation ago. Smaller backyards, time poor parents, iPads, screen time etc. So when they go to take up a sport later they are too unco to play cricket. Can't bowl especially, can't hit the ball, can't catch. The sport is difficult. Whereas even the biggest dunce can play soccer. Just swing a leg at the ball whenever it's near you.

The areas where there are still backyards and mum/dad love cricket and their offspring learn how to catch & throw are those same select suburbs where cricket is strong.

'Middle-classing the game' is a phrased I've heard used.

Even 20-25 years ago the northern and southern suburbs were more like country towns. Real Aussies who played cricket in summer and footy in winter. Has changed immensely.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Not just cost but yes that's part of it. The endless equipment required for cricket compared to just a pair of shoes for most sports is astronomical.

But it's more that you do what your parents did. If your dad played cricket or your parents are cricket fans, then there's a good chance that their kids will give it a try. Anglo saxon families often know cricket and gravitate towards it. Families from some areas of Asia, Europe, elsewhere have no familiarity with the sport so don't play - and there are increasing numbers of these families north and south.

Cricket is still strong in colleges and at schools in inner east, inner south, inner north and Glenelg-Henley beachside areas. Good numbers. No schools play further north or south. No interest.

Generally speaking, very young kids (4-6 year olds) are less skillful than they were a generation ago. Smaller backyards, time poor parents, iPads, screen time etc. So when they go to take up a sport later they are too unco to play cricket. Can't bowl especially, can't hit the ball, can't catch. The sport is difficult. Whereas even the biggest dunce can play soccer. Just swing a leg at the ball whenever it's near you.

The areas where there are still backyards and mum/dad love cricket and their offspring learn how to catch & throw are those same select suburbs where cricket is strong.

Even 20-25 years ago the northern and southern suburbs were more like country towns. Real Aussies who played cricket in summer and footy in winter. Has changed immensely.
Back in my days as a young whipper snapper but maybe it was just because it was country but most clubs had 3 sets of kit available for players to use mainly pads, gloves and bats. No keeper had their own gear. Most blokes would usually supply their own protectors & thigh pads. Now days a compliant helmet costs as much as a lump of wood and now almost everyone has their own complete kit to use.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Not just cost but yes that's part of it. The endless equipment required for cricket compared to just a pair of shoes for most sports is astronomical.

Back in my days as a young whipper snapper but maybe it was just because it was country but most clubs had 3 sets of kit available for players to use mainly pads, gloves and bats. No keeper had their own gear. Most blokes would usually supply their own protectors & thigh pads. Now days a compliant helmet costs as much as a lump of wood and now almost everyone has their own complete kit to use.

Yeah absolutely that was the case, not sure how much clubs supply these days.
Another thing that is only recent is the push from CA to do their milo and t20 bash programs. Compared to what clubs in my area were charging for subs the cost of these programs is astronomical. Most clubs used to subsidise juniors somewhat by only charging 20 -30 bucks for a season of u 10 or u12, its now 75 for milo and 100 for t20blast which gets back to Tony's point about the have and have nots
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Too much ‘junior’ money is used for ‘seniors’ in both cricket and football
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Brodlach wrote:Too much ‘junior’ money is used for ‘seniors’ in both cricket and football

I think thats a rubbish comment, i know in both my local football and cricket clubs subs are kept below what it costs to put the teams on the park to get as many kids involved as possible.
If youre talking about premier grade clubs then yes absolutely you are right
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 pm

I stand by my comment but especially at football.

What sort of money do juniors pay at both?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Brodlach wrote:I stand by my comment but especially at football.

At my club its $30 subs for cricket, not 100% on football but i think its $50 this is for up to U16 cricket and U17half for footy.Students playing senior cricket $100, so well and truly subsidised by the rest of the club.
A senior footballer only pays $100 so clearly money is raised elsewhere.

What are junior subs at grade clubs?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I stand by my comment but especially at football.

At my club its $30 subs for cricket, not 100% on football but i think its $50 this is for up to U16 cricket and U17half for footy.Students playing senior cricket $100, so well and truly subsidised by the rest of the club.
A senior footballer only pays $100 so clearly money is raised elsewhere.

What are junior subs at grade clubs?
$350 plus add another 100 for seniors. Most of the player (both junior and seniors) fees at some clubs would barely cover pitch preparation for both games and training.

Each club has different expenses that are astronomical some get raped by curating costs but others might get a good deal on that but get screwed on rent.

I do know for a fact about 7 or so years ago Premier Clubs needed a turnover of at least $250k to make ends meet. I suspect these days it would be $350-400k.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm

I thought Kensington juniors were around $350 but I could be corrected.

Last year CLG juniors (footy) were $220 and that was at the lower end of the scale in surrounding clubs
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Gee that is a lot of expenditures heater, TBH I hadn’t given a huge thought about costs at a District club compared to a suburban club
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:I thought Kensington juniors were around $350 but I could be corrected.

Last year CLG juniors (footy) were $220 and that was at the lower end of the scale in surrounding clubs

Says $290 on Kensington website for junior fees. Senior men $420 which includes cap and shirt.

What would Adelaide Turf clubs charge junior players?

Quite a few football clubs run their own 'rogue' Under 6 and Under 7 competitions to get around parents having to pay Auskick fees. I know a few primary schools did this with 'Milo' cricket too. Parents just run stuff for the kids that age for free. Saves them having to pay for the kit every year.

I heard that Cricket Australia wants all the states doing the exact same thing for juniors. All doing Milo in2cricket, all doing T20 Blast, all doing their new junior formats. Same ages, same costs, same programs everywhere. Not sure if I heard this correctly but supposedly they hate that there is primary school cricket and Kanga cricket in South Australia because it is different to everywhere else and takes numbers away from their programs. 'Confuses the pathway' whatever that means.

Rambling a bit but to me there are two problems cricket has:

1) Children/families choosing to do sports other than cricket
This comes down to cost, length of the match, familiarity with the sport, perceived difficulty of cricket (complicated game, skills hard)

2) Children/families not doing any sport at all
Being involved in organised sport is just not as much a part of the weekly family routine as it has been previously. Fat kids, lazy parents, higher divorce rates, screen time, weekend work

There have been some positive signs lately but for years cricket was getting a smaller slice of a shrinking pool
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 am

Tony Clifton wrote: Cricket is still strong in colleges and at schools in inner east, inner south, inner north and Glenelg-Henley beachside areas. Good numbers. No schools play further north or south. No interest.

I can think of at least one that does.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 am

Tony Clifton wrote:I heard that Cricket Australia wants all the states doing the exact same thing for juniors. All doing Milo in2cricket, all doing T20 Blast, all doing their new junior formats. Same ages, same costs, same programs everywhere. Not sure if I heard this correctly but supposedly they hate that there is primary school cricket and Kanga cricket in South Australia because it is different to everywhere else and takes numbers away from their programs. 'Confuses the pathway' whatever that means.

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. CA only care about meeting their KPI's and exposure quotas - other formats such as primary school take away from their target groups, and ultimately lose them $$... CA only care about $$.. F**k CA.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Says $290 on Kensington website for junior fees. Senior men $420 which includes cap and shirt.

This is why I've never been interested in genuinely having a crack at grade cricket.. Pay that sort of money, plus the commitment levels required is stupid. I much prefer my measly $10 a week to play hard wicket :lol:

People wonder why the better players go to ATCA - what would you choose? Pay $420 to play grade, or get paid to play ATCA which also includes a social aspect and some beers with mates after the game?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am

Is cricket a dying sport?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 am

The Bedge wrote:Is cricket a dying sport?

If you believe the T20 spruikers it is.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Is cricket a dying sport?

If you believe the T20 spruikers it is.

T20 is as much to blame for the downfall of cricket as anything. Players becoming mercenaries chasing money playing T20 over national duties, CA saturating our TV screens over two months with a competition and promoting it as the best thing since world series cricket. Promoting shorter formats all through juniors right down to the T20 blast program.

Hell I even saw the SACA Friendship cup includes a T12 competition! WTF!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am

The Bedge wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Says $290 on Kensington website for junior fees. Senior men $420 which includes cap and shirt.

This is why I've never been interested in genuinely having a crack at grade cricket.. Pay that sort of money, plus the commitment levels required is stupid. I much prefer my measly $10 a week to play hard wicket :lol:

People wonder why the better players go to ATCA - what would you choose? Pay $420 to play grade, or get paid to play ATCA which also includes a social aspect and some beers with mates after the game?

You missed the main reason- No Sunday Cricket
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 am

helicopterking wrote:You missed the main reason- No Sunday Cricket

In my head that was included under the commitment level required :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps