Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Lad was fine (cheers lads), otherwise things would have ended worse for both myself and the waiter .. Might have to go back to the Brompton to avoid a hatty of bad reviews.

Just on Sammys, went there when it was relatively new and thought it was crap so have never been back, but a few I know have spoken fairly highly of it in the last month or two.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am

Wow have been to Zak's many times...being married to a greek many family shows including weddings have been there in the past and it has always been outstanding food and service....sad to hear :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby JK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 am

Dutchy wrote:Wow have been to Zak's many times...being married to a greek many family shows including weddings have been there in the past and it has always been outstanding food and service....sad to hear :(

Yeah, like you had never had any experience other than excellent over the past coupla decades so it definitely came as a surprise .. Maybe like many others they struggled with a busy time of year?? Still, no go zone for us again unless they have new owners perhaps
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Moe wrote:I took Mrs. Moe and the Moettes to see the Lobethal Xmas lights last weekend.
I had never been, so we looked for a place to have dinner along the way.
We stopped in to the Bedford Hotel in Woodside.
A very old style country pub, we took a gamble.
Very happy with the outcome.

Kids meals for $10 were quite large and worth it.
Oldest lad had the spicy chicken salad and gave it the thumbs up.
Wifey had some chicken dish, which I cant remember, but she loved it.
I had surf & turf. Porterhouse was brilliant, seafood sauce lovely.
Bruschetta for entree was delectable.

Only negative was paying $1 per dinner roll, and working in the industry, Ive never understood charging for a bread roll.
Also, ice in soft drinks should be a given.

Moe's rating: 8.5/10

I had one of the best shnittys ever from that pub before the owners changed hands. one of the biggest as well
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:52 pm

A rare incursion from me to this thread. I’m not a big one for negatively reviewing businesses online, but I’ll make an exception on this occasion.

I’d eaten at Jamie’s Italian several years before and really enjoyed the meal. The Godfather cocktail was also a big highlight. So when we discussed booking there for NYE prior to the Strikers’ match I was looking forward to the meal, with a Godfather to finish off.

Upon booking for our group of 21, we received an email that acknowledged our booking and indicated that for groups of 12 or more the restaurant charges 10% on top of the bill. I’m unsure why they would charge you for bringing more people to their business, but I understand this is their standard policy (NYE or not).

Anyway, our booking was for 4pm, so not in the busy period. We arrived on time to be told our table was not prepared and we waited for 20 minutes before being seated. Seems ridiculous that our table was not ready this early in the night, at a time when few people are eating. Business was steady, but not busy.

Finally, we got to our table and no one came to ask if we’d like a drink to start with. It was 40 minutes after our arrival time when we were finally offered a drink. C’mon, it’s NYE and I’m catching up with some dear friends – I want a beer with the lads!
The waiter was charming, if overly familiar.

Our meals came in good time. A friend and I had the crab spaghetti – we both thought it was horrible - washed out and tasteless. Mrs DW didn’t enjoy her meal (and, like me, she isn’t one to complain lightly), another friend’s $45 steak was stringy and chewy, while another person who had a steak dish was disappointed.

To top it off, a meal was forgotten and delayed by 20 minutes –the rest of us had finished, which is always uncomfortable for that person. This person really lucked out – they were earlier told their first choice meal wasn’t available, they asked for a wine that was unavailable, they asked for a cocktail for which they were told not all the ingredients were available.

It was really disappointing, considering as a group we spent about $700 there and potentially would have spent a lot more had we seen a drinks waiter earlier and had we had an enjoyable enough meal that we wanted dessert.

I missed out on my Godfather cocktail (https://www.thespruce.com/godfather-coc ... ipe-761446) as the service was so slow that I didn’t want to order another drink prior to our departure.

Had the meal been set up as the highlight of our night, it probably would have really diminished the enjoyment of our catch-up. Luckily, the Strikers and the Elder Park fireworks were to follow.

Jamie’s doesn’t seem to answer its phone, its Facebook is poorly monitored and full of complaints, meanwhile a Tweet to Jamie’s Italian Australia (seeking a chance to provide feedback direct) has gone unanswered. Interestingly, feedback I’ve received from mates suggests our experience was not isolated. Looking through the company’s replies to Tweets and it would seem the majority of the negative comments to Jamie’s Italian are about its Adelaide restaurant. I’m clearly not alone.

It’s doubtful I’ll be back.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Jamie’s is by far the worse value for money restaurant I’ve been too!!
Been twice, once with family and once with friends and both times the food was OK(just) but the service slow.

For what you pay it’s so overrated.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby DOC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 pm

I find the food good but the wine list is amongst the worst in Adelaide. It lacks variety and depth of choice and is expensive for what it is.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:A rare incursion from me to this thread. I’m not a big one for negatively reviewing businesses online, but I’ll make an exception on this occasion.

I’d eaten at Jamie’s Italian several years before and really enjoyed the meal. The Godfather cocktail was also a big highlight. So when we discussed booking there for NYE prior to the Strikers’ match I was looking forward to the meal, with a Godfather to finish off.

Upon booking for our group of 21, we received an email that acknowledged our booking and indicated that for groups of 12 or more the restaurant charges 10% on top of the bill. I’m unsure why they would charge you for bringing more people to their business, but I understand this is their standard policy (NYE or not).

Anyway, our booking was for 4pm, so not in the busy period. We arrived on time to be told our table was not prepared and we waited for 20 minutes before being seated. Seems ridiculous that our table was not ready this early in the night, at a time when few people are eating. Business was steady, but not busy.

Finally, we got to our table and no one came to ask if we’d like a drink to start with. It was 40 minutes after our arrival time when we were finally offered a drink. C’mon, it’s NYE and I’m catching up with some dear friends – I want a beer with the lads!

Our meals came in good time. A friend and I had the crab spaghetti – we both thought it was horrible - washed out and tasteless. Mrs DW didn’t enjoy her meal (and, like me, she isn’t one to complain lightly), another friend’s $45 steak was stringy and chewy, while another person who had a steak dish was disappointed.

To top it off, a meal was forgotten and delayed by 20 minutes –the rest of us had finished, which is always uncomfortable for that person. This person really lucked out – they were earlier told their first choice meal wasn’t available, they asked for a wine that was unavailable, they asked for a cocktail for which they were told not all the ingredients were available.

It was really disappointing, considering as a group we spent about $700 there and potentially would have spent a lot more had we seen a drinks waiter earlier and had we had an enjoyable enough meal that we wanted dessert.

I missed out on my Godfather cocktail (https://www.thespruce.com/godfather-coc ... ipe-761446) as the service was so slow that I didn’t want to order another drink prior to our departure.

Had the meal been set up as the highlight of our night, it probably would have really diminished the enjoyment of our catch-up. Luckily, the Strikers and the Elder Park fireworks were to follow.

Jamie’s doesn’t seem to answer its phone, its Facebook is poorly monitored and full of complaints, meanwhile a Tweet to Jamie’s Italian Australia (seeking a chance to provide feedback direct) has gone unanswered. Interestingly, feedback I’ve received from mates suggests our experience was not isolated. Looking through the company’s replies to Tweets and it would seem the majority of the negative comments to Jamie’s Italian are about its Adelaide restaurant. I’m clearly not alone.

Didn’t the business change hands or get sold a year or so ago? I assume that’s got something to do with the drop in quality. I ate there not long after it opened and it was pretty good, nothing spectacular though.

Haven’t come across the Godfather cocktail. At least as far as Jamie’s Italian is concerned, it seems like they’ll refuse you an offer they can’t make.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Upon booking for our group of 21, we received an email that acknowledged our booking and indicated that for groups of 12 or more the restaurant charges 10% on top of the bill. I’m unsure why they would charge you for bringing more people to their business, but I understand this is their standard policy (NYE or not).

Thats unbelievable, surely you want to encourage large groups to come to your business.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Upon booking for our group of 21, we received an email that acknowledged our booking and indicated that for groups of 12 or more the restaurant charges 10% on top of the bill. I’m unsure why they would charge you for bringing more people to their business, but I understand this is their standard policy (NYE or not).

Thats unbelievable, surely you want to encourage large groups to come to your business.

Yeah I would have thought they’d give you 10% discount for the large bill.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby saintal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Moe wrote:I took Mrs. Moe and the Moettes to see the Lobethal Xmas lights last weekend.
I had never been, so we looked for a place to have dinner along the way.
We stopped in to the Bedford Hotel in Woodside.
A very old style country pub, we took a gamble.
Very happy with the outcome.

Kids meals for $10 were quite large and worth it.
Oldest lad had the spicy chicken salad and gave it the thumbs up.
Wifey had some chicken dish, which I cant remember, but she loved it.
I had surf & turf. Porterhouse was brilliant, seafood sauce lovely.
Bruschetta for entree was delectable.

Only negative was paying $1 per dinner roll, and working in the industry, Ive never understood charging for a bread roll.
Also, ice in soft drinks should be a given.

Moe's rating: 8.5/10

I had one of the best shnittys ever from that pub before the owners changed hands. one of the biggest as well

They used to sponsor my cricket club so ate there most Saturday nights for a while. Haven't dined there since the most recent change of owners, might need to give it a shot. Has had a fairly chequered recent history with a number of ownership changes.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yeah I would have thought they’d give you 10% discount for the large bill.
Surcharge on large groups is common place in Europe although their threshold of a large group is much lower than 12....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 am

Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:A rare incursion from me to this thread. I’m not a big one for negatively reviewing businesses online, but I’ll make an exception on this occasion.

Didn’t the business change hands or get sold a year or so ago? I assume that’s got something to do with the drop in quality. I ate there not long after it opened and it was pretty good, nothing spectacular though.

Haven’t come across the Godfather cocktail. At least as far as Jamie’s Italian is concerned, it seems like they’ll refuse you an offer they can’t make.

My understanding is it's returned to the control of Jamie Oliver's company.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:27 am

Have only been to Jamie's once, and the thought the food was overpriced given how ordinary it was. Had no problem with service IIRC and the atmosphere was good.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 am

I've never heard a good word about Jamies, hence why I've never been.

Plus, I can get really good italian food for free right across the road, at my Italian grandmothers house :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I've never heard a good word about Jamies, hence why I've never been.

Plus, I can get really good italian food for free right across the road, at my Italian grandmothers house :lol:

The food might be good, but how is the service?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I've never heard a good word about Jamies, hence why I've never been.

The food might be good, but how is the service?

Service is great, it's usually waiting for me on the table when I arrive :D
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Wine list?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Ambience?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Group surcharge?
FUSC
JK
Coach