Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2018

Postby jo172 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 am

locky801 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
locky801 wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:
signed for Glenelg

obviously paying the asking price whatever that maybe

An Adelaide Footy League club complaining about a league club "paying the asking price" is novel.

whose complaining was pointing it out and i have no affliliation with any Adelaide Footy League Club either

Apologies, just "paying the asking price whatever that maybe" tends to be used mostly in the pejorative sense around here.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am

bandar wrote:We did have one of our guys talk to some of yours about the experience. While it’s great having some knowledge I’m not certain we can avoid all the pitfalls but we are trying.

Can you play/train at Immanuel College? Keep things local
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bandar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
bandar wrote:We did have one of our guys talk to some of yours about the experience. While it’s great having some knowledge I’m not certain we can avoid all the pitfalls but we are trying.

Can you play/train at Immanuel College? Keep things local

Funnily enough they have just had their oval resurfaced not sure when it would be available.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Grenville » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

cracka wrote:Jessie Obrien & Luke Mitchell to SPOC apparently. Bugger we needed to keep them.

For $1000 and $800 per game respectively apparently.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Trader » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 am

Grenville wrote:
cracka wrote:Jessie Obrien & Luke Mitchell to SPOC apparently. Bugger we needed to keep them.

Geez they are fast running out of room in the cap given Calabrese is also on $750
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am

Trader wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Geez they are fast running out of room in the cap given Calabrese is also on $750

I thought 400 was the limit ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:24 pm

SPOC have learnt the lesson from PAOC and ROC to spend up big
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby EB53 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:SPOC have learnt the lesson from PAOC and ROC to spend up big

Interesting, clubs with no junior programs spending up. Good onya!!!!!
EB53
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ramming23 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:37 pm

EB53 wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:SPOC have learnt the lesson from PAOC and ROC to spend up big

Old Scholar teams have the best junior programs in the country. They get to play footy with each other every week for their whole education, see each other 6 days a week, some 7 if they're good friends, train every week together etc. Its just a matter of whether or not they can keep them/get them back from their clubs after school. It's not all doom and gloom for the Colleges
ramming23
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby EB53 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm

ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:

Old Scholar teams have the best junior programs in the country. They get to play footy with each other every week for their whole education, see each other 6 days a week, some 7 if they're good friends, train every week together etc. Its just a matter of whether or not they can keep them/get them back from their clubs after school. It's not all doom and gloom for the Colleges

Appreciate that, but what sort of financial support is extended to junior sport by the old scholars?
EB53
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times

Postby ramming23 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 pm

EB53 wrote:
ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:

Appreciate that, but what sort of financial support is extended to junior sport by the old scholars?

None, which is why I believe they have the best program in the land. The school puts in all the hard yards and if the old scholars get them but then they are cheering. Unlike a, let’s say PNU who spend big amounts on their junior program for their feeder system and eventually lose half of those kids to their old scholars anyway. Think they had 9 or so junior players playing against them for ROCS in the GF this year.
ramming23
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Jetters » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:52 pm

ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:

And colleges invest incredible $$ to recruit the best players... i mean students
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby bird of prey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:
ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:

None, which is why I believe they have the best program in the land. The school puts in all the hard yards and if the old scholars get them but then they are cheering. Unlike a, let’s say PNU who spend big amounts on their junior program for their feeder system and eventually lose half of those kids to their old scholars anyway. Think they had 9 or so junior players playing against them for ROCS in the GF this year.

Clubs like PNU don’t “spend big”on junior programs as you say. It’s the opposite. They generate more $ because of their large number of juniors.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Been liked: 40 times

Postby bird of prey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm

It just so happens that a club like pnu has so many juniors that go to colleges in the area.
A lot of the other larger clubs would have a pretty good retention rate of senior players that played juniors there (Modbury, TTG, etc) even though PNU still do.

Why is St Michaels, which has a very strong football program, so irrelevant with their old scholars? I’ve heard there are very few old scholars that play at Smosh.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Been liked: 40 times

Postby Dolphin Treasure » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Jetters wrote:
ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:

And colleges invest incredible $$ to recruit the best players... i mean students

Do mercedes college offer sporting scholarships? What about public schools? Brighton or say Henley?
Dolphin Treasure
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

bird of prey wrote:It just so happens that a club like pnu has so many juniors that go to colleges in the area.
A lot of the other larger clubs would have a pretty good retention rate of senior players that played juniors there (Modbury, TTG, etc) even though PNU still do.

Why is St Michaels, which has a very strong football program, so irrelevant with their old scholars? I’ve heard there are very few old scholars that play at Smosh.

A few years back SMOSH tried very hard to bridge that gap and in turn get some students fresh out of school to play for them. I think it worked to a degree but it is very hard in the western suburbs as the players are spread over so many different clubs. Henley, Smosh, Districts, Seaton, Flinders, Portland, Rosewater, North Haven.
There doesnt appear to be as many junior clubs on the east side of town. many college players wouldnt even play club footy on a sunday. Would I be right in saying that?
So PAC, St Peters as examples only lose players to PNU, Broadview (I cant think of any other clubs that side of town with juniors).
SHOC would lose to a few more in Brighton, Morphie Parks, Kenilworth, Plympton, Marion.
Its easier to convince a group of 4-5 mates to play together at a team they have for many seasons during school rather then to try get 1-2 players across from a rival club to a old scholars side.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Dolphin Treasure wrote:
Jetters wrote:
ramming23 wrote:
EB53 wrote:Interesting, clubs with no junior programs spending up. Good onya!!!!!

Do mercedes college offer sporting scholarships? What about public schools? Brighton or say Henley?

Henley run a special sports program, that allows footballers to play footy as a lesson. Very enticing for a 14yr old that doesnt really like school that much.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby jo172 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Iron Fist wrote:So PAC, St Peters as examples only lose players to PNU, Broadview (I cant think of any other clubs that side of town with juniors).

Literally seen Walkerville junior teams with half the team kitted up in their SPSC guernsey.

They go from a thriving junior program to puberty hitting and it evaporating overnight.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby laser » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Iron Fist wrote:
A few years back SMOSH tried very hard to bridge that gap and in turn get some students fresh out of school to play for them. I think it worked to a degree but it is very hard in the western suburbs as the players are spread over so many different clubs. Henley, Smosh, Districts, Seaton, Flinders, Portland, Rosewater, North Haven.
There doesnt appear to be as many junior clubs on the east side of town. many college players wouldnt even play club footy on a sunday. Would I be right in saying that?
So PAC, St Peters as examples only lose players to PNU, Broadview (I cant think of any other clubs that side of town with juniors).
SHOC would lose to a few more in Brighton, Morphie Parks, Kenilworth, Plympton, Marion.
Its easier to convince a group of 4-5 mates to play together at a team they have for many seasons during school rather then to try get 1-2 players across from a rival club to a old scholars side.

Our experience has been the opposite. Quite often we see our juniors playing for Scotch OC, PAOC St Peters OC etc. The lure of the collegiate clubs is pretty strong. Agree it would be tougher for OC clubs to attract those not from the college. Perhaps the main challenge (especially for us) is the get up a competitive U18 team to give the juniors a reasonable pathway to adult footy.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 pm

laser wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

Our experience has been the opposite. Quite often we see our juniors playing for Scotch OC, PAOC St Peters OC etc. The lure of the collegiate clubs is pretty strong. Agree it would be tougher for OC clubs to attract those not from the college. Perhaps the main challenge (especially for us) is the get up a competitive U18 team to give the juniors a reasonable pathway to adult footy.

Im not associated with SMOSH so my view is only from an outsider.
Traditonally Smosh have a reasonably strong U18 side.
Iron Fist
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League