Netflix

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Netflix

Postby Grenville » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:The Real Football Factories. 6 episodes on football hooliganism around England. Deadset f***en nutters.

This show also caught my eye, I thought it might provide an interesting insight into the ugly and inexplicable world of football hooliganism. I watched the first couple of minutes of the first episode, and its tone and the host (forget his name) with his 'orright bruvva, well 'ard, innit, na'what'a'mean' Sarf Lahndon cockney lad attitude turned me off. It seemed to be more of a celebration/glorification of 'tough guy' hooligans rather than recognising, explaining, and understanding why such a ****** up thing exists in civilised societies.

So, am I right, or should I give it a proper go (orright then bruvva)?

Danny Dyer likes to portray himself as a bit of a toughnut but you could tell he was shitting himself a few times in this series. Well worth a look, you can tell a few times Dyer can't fathom the reasoning behind why they do it and that they are proud of it.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:The Real Football Factories. 6 episodes on football hooliganism around England. Deadset f***en nutters.

This show also caught my eye, I thought it might provide an interesting insight into the ugly and inexplicable world of football hooliganism. I watched the first couple of minutes of the first episode, and its tone and the host (forget his name) with his 'orright bruvva, well 'ard, innit, na'what'a'mean' Sarf Lahndon cockney lad attitude turned me off. It seemed to be more of a celebration/glorification of 'tough guy' hooligans rather than recognising, explaining, and understanding why such a ****** up thing exists in civilised societies.

Danny Dyer likes to portray himself as a bit of a toughnut but you could tell he was shitting himself a few times in this series. Well worth a look, you can tell a few times Dyer can't fathom the reasoning behind why they do it and that they are proud of it.

Cheers, will give it a go.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Cheers, will give it a go.

There was one that came out in 1995 called ID - can really recommend it.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Q. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:5 eps into punisher. Really like it

Yes is great. Finished the season now started "Jessica Jones"
For me Jessica Jones is the best of the Marvel Netflix series or at least interested me the most.
I thought it was average. Halfway through Luke Cage now, which is a little better.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:29 am

davedevil, jessica jones and luke cage all petered out for mine. decent to start with but got bored about 2/3 of the way through
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Kahuna » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 am

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Would of been great if Louis Theroux had done this. May have actually tried to find out something instead of playing to their egos and sounding like a wannabe.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 am

Kahuna wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Would of been great if Louis Theroux had done this. May have actually tried to find out something instead of playing to their egos and sounding like a wannabe.

Good call. Louis' docos are always thought-provoking and interesting, he seems to have a knack of asking tough questions in awkward situations without getting up the interviewee's nose.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 am

Finished the Punisher last night. Best hero show on Netflix easily I reckon.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Starting on Manhunt- Unabomber

Quite good but not sure Iike the flicking back and forth.

Finished this one last night, thought it was pretty good, if slightly historically inaccurate (as with most 'based on a true story' shows). An interesting story nonetheless, particularly the background to Ted Kaszcynski.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

That's what happens when you pay good money after bad to go and watch scoreless draws in -°'s after riding on a tube for an hour, you get angry.

I simply cannot understand the mentality of these morons. Most of them follow sides who have never achieved anything of note other than perhaps a 4th round FA Cup loss in the 90's.

Absolute dickheads who somehow have an admiring few in Australia who think it's tough/cool to try and be the same.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm

There was one that came out in 1995 called ID - can really recommend it.[/quote]

Don't remember that one, was it a movie or doco?
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Grenville wrote:There was one that came out in 1995 called ID - can really recommend it.

Don't remember that one, was it a movie or doco?[/quote]

Movie based on an undercover cop infiltrating a group of hooligans & getting too involved.
I’ve heard they’ve recently bought out a sequel. (ID2 released 2016)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby HH3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 am

.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Booney wrote:

That's what happens when you pay good money after bad to go and watch scoreless draws in -°'s after riding on a tube for an hour, you get angry.

I simply cannot understand the mentality of these morons. Most of them follow sides who have never achieved anything of note other than perhaps a 4th round FA Cup loss in the 90's.

Absolute dickheads who somehow have an admiring few in Australia who think it's tough/cool to try and be the same.

Watched about an hour of it. I understand them more now, they're morons.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Spargo wrote:
Grenville wrote:There was one that came out in 1995 called ID - can really recommend it.

Don't remember that one, was it a movie or doco?

Movie based on an undercover cop infiltrating a group of hooligans & getting too involved.
I’ve heard they’ve recently bought out a sequel. (ID2 released 2016)[/quote]

Cheers I'll have to have a butchers.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Grenville » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Kahuna wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

To be honest it would've been dangerous having Louis Theroux doing it. An intelligent bloke challenging morons like them wouldn't end well I reckon.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:

Watched about an hour of it. I understand them more now, they're morons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCbDF-OPDX4

The Streets wrote a great song which makes me reflect how bad society is when we glorify that type of behaviour
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:06 am

Grenville wrote:
Kahuna wrote:Would of been great if Louis Theroux had done this. May have actually tried to find out something instead of playing to their egos and sounding like a wannabe.

To be honest it would've been dangerous having Louis Theroux doing it. An intelligent bloke challenging morons like them wouldn't end well I reckon.

I reckon he'd do alright. In the past he's successfully challenged neo-Nazis and white supremacists having admitted he's Jewish, for example. If you can get out alive from that then anything's possible.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 am

Been watching 'Hip-Hop Evolution' in the last day or so. A really interesting analysis of the backstory of hip hop from the South Bronx through to Run DMC and Public Enemy in the 1980s, then to the West Coast, gangsta rap, and its modern day incarnations (which is far less interesting than the music that started it IMHO). Interviews with key DJs and rappers are quite revealing. Some great old-school footage of late 70s-early 80s New York as well. It also introduces you to some of the lesser known artists and tracks that influenced the development of the genre, like this track (considered by many as the first example of 'rapping'):

Anyhoo, definitely worth a look if you like this sort of thing.

@Dogwatcher The first episode bears a strong resemblance to the plot and characters in 'The Get Down', and demonstrates that it's quite an accurate depiction of the origins of hip hop.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:04 am

Magellan wrote:Been watching 'Hip-Hop Evolution' in the last day or so. A really interesting analysis of the backstory of hip hop from the South Bronx through to Run DMC and Public Enemy in the 1980s, then to the West Coast, gangsta rap, and its modern day incarnations (which is far less interesting than the music that started it IMHO). Interviews with key DJs and rappers are quite revealing. Some great old-school footage of late 70s-early 80s New York as well. It also introduces you to some of the lesser known artists and tracks that influenced the development of the genre, like this track (considered by many as the first example of 'rapping'):

Anyhoo, definitely worth a look if you like this sort of thing.

@Dogwatcher The first episode bears a strong resemblance to the plot and characters in 'The Get Down', and demonstrates that it's quite an accurate depiction of the origins of hip hop.

I've watched both of these.
I thought the timing was interesting and wondered if the doco was put up on Nextflix to tie in with 'The Get Down'.
Hip Hop Evolution is fantastic. Here come da judge!
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment