Goodbye Football Park

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Goodbye Football Park

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Happy last game for me and victory for the red and whites.
The Roosters upset the favourites the Redlegs in the reserves prelimary final in 2016.
Then in another upset the following week beat the previously unbeaten Eagles to win the flag at Adelaide oval.
Good memories indeed.
Probably the last SANFL game at any level ever played at FP.

2017 U18 PF between South and Sturt was played at FP.

I'll get around to posting my memories of the ground later, but I am sad to see it go.

Waverley 2.0 in life and in death.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Gozu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Gozu wrote:I was born and grew up across the road from Footy Park so it will always have a special place in my heart really and as a kid I used to get a real kick out of the stories my dad would tell me that the land used to be all swamp land there only to walk down the road and look at this big concrete behemoth it was fascinating. Any footy game memories I have will always be secondary to the awe I held that stadium in as a kid.

I've lived in plenty of places since then and even after it's been demolished Footy Park & the old aeroplane out of the front of Maccas will be two things I will always remember fondly from my childhood.

How good was a kids birthday in the aeroplane.
I remember having a couple there as a youngster.

Indeed great fun. I reckon my mum's still got all the pics from my 5th birthday party or whatever it was lol
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Magellan wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Magellan wrote:Image

i was there as well. Really muggy night. Drank a six pack of warm sparkling ale in record time, pub ran out of cold beer take aways.
Human pyramids, great concert, swam in the lake after it.
Slept on somerton beach. Woke up with water lapping on my feet.
Fun night!

Sorry TP, I have to confess that I didn't go...I lifted the ticket image from Google Images! :oops: :lol:

But I do remember when they came to town in 1991. I also remember them coming in early 1986, lots of hoo-haa about them coming to Adelaide back then (one of the biggest bands in the world at the time), and they had biggest crowd at Footy Park for a concert IIRC.

Actually I have to confess I wasn't there either lol. I went to the 86 or 87 show.
They were massive then!
I reckon a 6 pack back then was 6 bucks?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby saintal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:06 am

Will always hold fond memories of going there, especially as a kid/teenager. St Kilda’s record at the ground was pretty woeful, but was lucky enough to see two finals there

2005 QF- Managed to knock off the highly fancied crowbots in a fairly dour contest. Bangers Harvey was everywhere, while a young Gwilt kicked a few goals.
2004 PF- Perhaps the best game I’ve witnessed live. The Gehrig ton. Guerra’s attempted toe poke in the dying seconds. Was crook during the week and lost my voice by half time.

Another highlight was the 1997 SOO against the Big V. Amazing game.

Enjoyed being able to linger around the players race as a youngster and have a chat/get autograph of the players as they sat and watched the curtain raiser.

The only South Adelaide matches I saw at the venue were the two finals in 2011
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Went for a walk around the stadium on Monday and took some photos of as much as I could

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaResGX
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:Image

$41 back then would have been considered a fair whack, wouldn't it?

My INXS Kick tour ticket was $45 in 1988 (thankfully I got it as a birthday gift from my 4 best mates at the time)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm

A lot of my memories are a little different, given that I worked in the downstairs members bar for 13 seasons. I had my own bar and a faithful clientele, some of whom I am still in contact with.

I remember working at the U2 and the RObbie Williams concert a week apart - U2 possibly the worst concert I've ever seen(left about 3 songs in) and Robbie one of the best, despite not being a massive fan at the time. I had no plans on staying to watch but ended up staying for most of the concert. His performance certainly turned that around. I also remember it being ridiculously hot and never seeing so many pregnant women in one spot at the same time. It was mad! :lol:

The 1992 GF - was wearing a monochrome black and white top and it pissed down with rain just before half time, Felicitie and I just stood there - everyone else bolted for cover and did get a few comments about the partial wet t-shirt afterwards :lol:

The 1990 Elimination final - South coming from nowhere to make the 5 and defeating Norwood - I was helping taking stats for that game as work experience of sorts, KG actually sourced that out for me.

Me nearly crying at the 89 GF when I found out that Jack tore Trigger a new one for letting Burton kick the goal :lol:

Showdown I: I was working - barely remember a bloody thing, except that it was the busiest day I'd ever encountered in my 13 years - even busier than any GF or any other showdown thereafter. I think I went through 8 kegs of beer, just in my little booth (the average 2-3, depending on who was playing)

FP was all I knew and despite it being a pain in the arse to get to, it was always the home of footy to me and personally, I felt a lot closer to the action there. I've watched 2 games of footy at Adelaide Oval and it just doesn't do it for me.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby JK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm

That U2 concert was shithouse .. Highlight of that evening was leaving a bit early and bumping into mates that had a ute loaded with Eskies and ice cold froffs
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 pm

JK wrote:That U2 concert was shithouse .. Highlight of that evening was leaving a bit early and bumping into mates that had a ute loaded with Eskies and ice cold froffs

Nov 16, 1993
U2 were horrid, haven’t still ran into anyone who rated the show
However Big Audio Dynamite beforehand were magnificent, really good :supz:
I can’t however recall Kim Salmon & The Surrealists who came* on first...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby GWW » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 pm

I enjoyed the 86 & 87 State Games, in addition to the '94 game.

My first state game was agsinst Western Australia in 1980, which we won fairly easily.

I enjoyed the 88 to 90 grand finals equally and as a neutral supporter saw the 3 games between Glenelg & North from 85 to 87.

The final against St Kilda in 04 was a highlight in recent years.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby JK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:That U2 concert was shithouse .. Highlight of that evening was leaving a bit early and bumping into mates that had a ute loaded with Eskies and ice cold froffs

Nov 16, 1993

Sat outside that one with a few mates, sounded terrible but we thought that was probably just the acoustics
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am

Spargo wrote:

Nov 16, 1993

They also played November 16, 2006 and I can tell you that was the second worst concert I have ever been to. The sound was appalling, not helped by a fairly stiff* southerly cool change that blew in on a day that was a little over 30° from memory, many punters left wanting when it came to Pleurisy Park's conditions.

We left after the "show" had finished, knowing an encore would be in order....so we sat outside and listened ( as much as we could ) to the encore. We bumped into some friends, the crowd was pouring out...encore #2 was starting!

We went home.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Most of you would be too young to have been to the Beachboys concert in early 1978 at Footy Park. It was the worst concert I have ever been to by many miles. Early in the concert, mid song, Brian Wilson just put down his guitar and walked off stage. Carl Wilson followed him off. We thought that he had gone to get Brian but next thing we saw was the two of them throwing an American football to each other behind the stage. At no time after that were there more than 3 beach boys on stage at any one time. Mike Love was the only beach boy who stayed on stage for the whole concert. And their actually playing was terrible as well.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Rising Power » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pm

The first time I went to Footy Park was to see Port v Essendon, mid season, either 1992 or 93. Bloody cold from what I remember.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Rising Power wrote:The first time I went to Footy Park was to see Port v Essendon, mid season, either 1992 or 93. Bloody cold from what I remember.

Port only entered in 1997 so I’m assuming you meant 02 or 03?
The only really cold one I remember between us was in 2005 on a Saturday night
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:25 am

Jim05 wrote:
Rising Power wrote:The first time I went to Footy Park was to see Port v Essendon, mid season, either 1992 or 93. Bloody cold from what I remember.

Port only entered in 1997 so I’m assuming you meant 02 or 03?
The only really cold one I remember between us was in 2005 on a Saturday night

Nope, mid season game in the early 90's, Port v Essendon, when both teams had a bye.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am

Do you mean the trial game? When Gavin Wanganeen introduced himself to the AFL as a young star?
Sold out crowd. Wet day. About 89/90?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Do you mean the trial game? When Gavin Wanganeen introduced himself to the AFL as a young star?

IIRC Port played Geelong in a trial match at Footy Park in early 1990.

Also, in 1993 Port played Collingwood at Footy Park in a trial match as well:

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Do you mean the trial game? When Gavin Wanganeen introduced himself to the AFL as a young star?

Wanganeen was already fairly established at Essendon when this game was on, although I can't recall if he played or not. I wish I kept the team sheets! They may have played a mid season trial 2 years in a row (I remember seeing something in the news about it), but I only went to the first one.

I do have the budget from when Port played Freo at FP in 1995. They also went to Canberra later that year during a bye and played a combined ACT team.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

I remember a trial against Essendon, prior to its AFL push, must have been 88 or early 89, that was held at Footy Park.
The crowd was massive. I went with a school mate and his parents drove up West Lakes Boulevard, saw the cars queued up and decided that we weren't going to get in, so turned around (we ended up at those crappy markets on Grand Junction Road instead).
From memory, the game played a big part in Sheedy recruiting Wanganeen.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum