BBL 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Booney wrote:I'm glad you've raised the point re the standard of the competition, Dutchy.

Self confessed T20 critic here ( No way? They all say ), but I've succumbed to the nightly entertainment ( mainly because there is nothing else on ) option of the Big Bash.

I've found it decidedly dull to watch, perhaps the aforementioned development of the game where teams build their innings has taken the dynamic aspect away, I've found myself thinking the standard of batting looks ordinary, perhaps that's the quality of the bowling or it might just be the comments above retired old "stars" filling the competition is lowering the standard.

Anyway, I've sat through nearly half a match twice now, both the Strikers home games.

Very much the same. I generally watch the first team bat, and nod off while the second teams chases.... Mrs C must turn the TV off, as I am snoring.

Got through all of last nights game though.

Teams like the Stars who have kept the likes of KP & Wright are way off beam. The Renegades seem to have gotten away with Hogg, Hodge & White though.

Fast Forward to the finals & if the Strikers are in it, I will pay a little more attention.

Bring on the test matches in South Africa.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Moe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I am a cricket tragic.
I have been since I was 3, and I was taken to the Adelaide test by my dad, where I spent the entire day in the corner of the Chappell bar (apparently).
This tradition continued until I was 6, then I was allowed to roam free around the back of the stands, as my dad knew everyone (a big name in the district scene), until I was 9.
Years 10-16 were spent in the stand, with my own scorebook.
Then I was allowed to drink with the "men".
I went to the first day of the test with my dad for 34 years, and unfortunately, that is not an option anymore.
I looked forward to starting the same tradition with my own son, and if it wasnt for the BBL, this probably would never have eventuated.

I dont care about the standard. It has been the sole reason all 3 of my kids are playing cricket, including my daughter. In fact little Miss Moe is infatuated with cricket now, and loves going to watch it, whether it be our B grade at Morphy Parks, or whoever.
She has asked me to take her to the test match next year, and I cant wait.

T20 might not be for the purists, but I thank it for getting my kids interested.

Cheers,
Moe.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Moe wrote:I am a cricket tragic.
I have been since I was 3, and I was taken to the Adelaide test by my dad, where I spent the entire day in the corner of the Chappell bar (apparently).
This tradition continued until I was 6, then I was allowed to roam free around the back of the stands, as my dad knew everyone (a big name in the district scene), until I was 9.
I went to the first day of the test with my dad for 34 years, and unfortunately, that is not an option anymore.
I looked forward to starting the same tradition with my own son, and if it wasnt for the BBL, this probably would never have eventuated.

I dont care about the standard. It has been the sole reason all 3 of my kids are playing cricket, including my daughter. In fact little Miss Moe is infatuated with cricket now, and loves going to watch it, whether it be our B grade at Morphy Parks, or whoever.

T20 might not be for the purists, but I thank it for getting my kids interested.

Cheers,
Moe.

great post.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm

What a terrible decision that Ross dismissal was!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm

RustyCage wrote:What a terrible decision that Ross dismissal was!
Abominable. How the **** did the third ump come to that conclusion.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Just about the worst decision I've seen in my life.
Great game marred only by that.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Cheers,
Moe.

Great post

In South Australia a lot of sports have dropped in attendances
The races/ sanfl/sheffield shield to name a few
That T20 has attracted so many to attend is quite an achievement

Its a good package
A 3 hour contest , great for young kids[and some adults] with limited attention spans
Its a comp, with a premiership at the end
This is what Test cricket lacks, and might start suffering for attendances in the long run [ The Ashes an exception]

Been talk about standard drops in the BBL
But crowds are still flocking to the venues
And this with so many Test players unavailable
Imagine if Starc, Smith, Cummins, Warner were playing

Its not traditional cricket , I understand why some of the purists dislike this brand of cricket
However, the next generation is embracing the new cricket, bums on seats is the evidence

I think BBL is entertaining
Its been great watching the ashes tests, all up the BBL
Im liking both forms of cricket
Jack
Rookie

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Keefy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Wedgie wrote:Just about the worst decision I've seen in my life.
Great game marred only by that.
Ordinary decision

But how was the caught and bowled by Archer to dismiss Cutting though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Jack wrote:Its not traditional cricket , I understand why some of the purists dislike this brand of cricket
However, the next generation is embracing the new cricket, bums on seats is the evidence

I think BBL is entertaining
Its been great watching the ashes tests, all up the BBL
Im liking both forms of cricket

Agreed Jack. both forms have their place. And the sooner the ICC implement their mooted league formats the better
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Correct decision IMO, he was trying to protect the stumps, if you think he wasn't then when was the last time you saw at batsmen slide towards the stumps, nearly hitting them?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:Correct decision IMO, he was trying to protect the stumps, if you think he wasn't then when was the last time you saw at batsmen slide towards the stumps, nearly hitting them?

I agree with you Dutchy. Alex Ross is a very clever cricketer. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. How often do you see a batsmen run across the pitch and towards the stumps. It did not look right which is the trigger to eventually give it out. Gutsy call by the third umpire but correct in my option.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Correct decision IMO, he was trying to protect the stumps, if you think he wasn't then when was the last time you saw at batsmen slide towards the stumps, nearly hitting them?

I agree with you Dutchy. Alex Ross is a very clever cricketer. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. How often do you see a batsmen run across the pitch and towards the stumps. It did not look right which is the trigger to eventually give it out. Gutsy call by the third umpire but correct in my option.

Pretty dumb move really, the ball was going to miss the stumps by at least a metre and more than likely would've hit Ross along the way too.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

Cheers,
Moe.

Can't dispute any of that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am

Cheers,
Moe.

I am envious, my father was an interstate truck driver so attending the cricket wasn't really an option for us as kids, he did take me to a match at Adelaide Oval when all the old farts had a 50 over match, it was a day I'll always cherish, big crowd, hot day and a great spectactle.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Pretty dumb move really, the ball was going to miss the stumps by at least a metre and more than likely would've hit Ross along the way too.

Unless its blatantly obvious, these types of dismissals are always going to be contentious.
Back "in the day" we were taught as kids to always run between the ball and the stumps to minimize the chances of getting run out even if you had to deviate off the line. It seemed to be acceptable back then but with the recent tightening of the rule you cant do that now.
You can still run in between the line of the ball and the stumps but as long as your objective to solely make your ground and not to deliberately obstruct the field or the ball.
I can see why people think that it should not have been given out or Hobart should not have appealed or that the appeal should have been withdrawn but can also understand the appeal being made and once it was made and the decision given then i thinks it looks pretty stupid to withdraw it.
A good case to withdraw an appeal maybe a situation where the batsman just innocently picks the ball up off the ground to return to the bowler or fielder after playing a shot (Happens quite a bit in Country cricket) and a smart arse fielder appeals. Umpire gives it out but then Captain steps in and withdraws it. Pretty much common sense.
I agree with a few others that it looked strange why he slid the way he did at an angle, why wouldn't you just dive forwards in a straight line with your bat outstretched to make your ground? If the ball hits you doing that there is no case to answer.
I think its one of those ones where if the decision went either way it would be fine as at the end of the days its a subjective thing in the eyes of the umpire and we all see and interpret things slightly differently.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm

I was unaware there had been a rule change, or interpretation change in this instance. In fact I was guilty of something similar in a game late last year, and it never raised an eyebrow. I have always run between the stumps and the fielder if I thought I needed to, just part of the game.

Cheers for the heads up JJ.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Heard the other day the WBBL Strikers team had a girl who batted No. 11 and didn't bowl, is the depth that bad?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:Heard the other day the WBBL Strikers team had a girl who batted No. 11 and didn't bowl, is the depth that bad?

She was the keeper.

I wouldn't think it would be that diabolical at that level.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

She would have to be a good keeper then, surely there would be another girl who could keep and bat 7/8.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:She would have to be a good keeper then, surely there would be another girl who could keep and bat 7/8.

The Women Scorchers are a pretty unbalanced side, 3 of their top 4 batters are their mainline bowlers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket