Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Do you believe we don't give enough then or are these youths just little sh!ts no matter what we give them.

Why are young people in general drawn to acts of delinquency? It is worth reading the Sibling Study, addresses the underlying factors contributing to this.

Which sibling study report are you referring to. I think that might be a different issue though. My question to Morell was, in regards to the immigrant youth gangs, does he believe we are too much take & not enough give causing the resentment which exacerbates these youths being disaffected. What do you think. My opinion is no we are not.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:43 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Do you believe we don't give enough then or are these youths just little sh!ts no matter what we give them.

Why are young people in general drawn to acts of delinquency? It is worth reading the Sibling Study, addresses the underlying factors contributing to this.

Which sibling study report are you referring to. I think that might be a different issue though. My question to Morell was, in regards to the immigrant youth gangs, does he believe we are too much take & not enough give causing the resentment which exacerbates these youths being disaffected. What do you think. My opinion is no we are not.
My point is that factors contributing to youth delinquency are universal. Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups for clickbait or political advantage contribute to these factors within the minority group.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:

My point is that factors contributing to youth delinquency are universal. Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups for clickbait or political advantage contribute to these factors within the minority group.

Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.
So you're not going to answer my question then.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:[quote="cracka"]Do you believe we don't give enough then or are these youths just little sh!ts no matter what we give them.

Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.
So you're not going to answer my question then.[/quote]Media outlets and politicians.

To answer your question, yes, we generally have great and various community youth engagement programs. But the good work is undone when you contribute to disenfranchisement via demonization - that is the 'take' he's referring to.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:

cracka wrote:Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.

Q. wrote:Media outlets and politicians.

To answer your question, yes, we generally have great and various community youth engagement programs. But the good work is undone when you contribute to disenfranchisement via demonization - that is the 'take' he's referring to.

Are you saying I personally am demonizing them.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:

cracka wrote:Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.

Have you got examples of the media and politicians demonizing them.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka"]Do you believe we don't give enough then or are these youths just little sh!ts no matter what we give them.

[quote="cracka wrote:Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.

Are you saying I personally am demonizing them.[/quote]Lol. I don't know who you are. It's 'you' as a general term of reference.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:34 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka"]Do you believe we don't give enough then or are these youths just little sh!ts no matter what we give them.

[quote="cracka wrote:Who is Unnecessarily demonizing minority groups.

Have you got examples of the media and politicians demonizing them.[/quote] We've covered that. Hence this discussion to this point.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Have you got examples of the media and politicians demonizing them.
We've covered that. Hence this discussion to this point.

I just went through the last 5 pages. We haven't had examples of the media and politicians demonizing them. Please post some
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:50 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Have you got examples of the media and politicians demonizing them.
We've covered that. Hence this discussion to this point.

I just went through the last 5 pages. We haven't had examples of the media and politicians demonizing them. Please post some

Re. media. Last week, there was a riot in Torquay involving around 100 youths. It was barely mentioned in mainstream media outlets and, where it was, ethnicity was not mentioned. Consider this, why was it not covered in mainstream media? And, if that riot had involved people of African descent, how do you think the riot would have been covered?

Crime in Melbourne’s west is trending downwards in almost every category. In the 12 months to last October, the most recent available data, overall reported crime dropped by more than 10 per cent in the inner-west, Brimbank and even Wyndham. However, that is not the narrative being told by the media or politicians. Serious crimes have been committed in the same region, but do not warrant front page attention or mention of ethnicity:

https://t.co/F4gL0oGtPv
https://t.co/YHc6qUZPyB
https://t.co/kOKgtCLd0H
https://t.co/2Ghx5hRBxU
https://t.co/8xWTyEpaCP
https://t.co/M7bU1ZJVQE

Literally every mainstream media outlet was running with inflammatory headlines. The Daily Mail even used a reporter to provoke violence and publish a beat-up article (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... up-scuffle). The Age had to write a front page apology for shoddy journalism (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/we-ha ... 4yy4p.html).

It is an election year in Victoria. It is potentially an election year federally. Dutton outright lied with his inflammatory comment Victorians are “scared to go out to restaurants” because of “African gang violence” - why make a deliberately demonizing sweeping statement with no evidence? To divide. To distract. Around the same time as the 'African Gangs' hype it was barely reported that Australia was experiencing the longest continual fall of living standards in more than 25 years - but it barely rated a mention.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 am

cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 am

cracka wrote:http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9297984
What's you're point? That they have an ANZ crime problem?
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 am

cracka
Veteran

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:26 am

Q. wrote:It is an election year in Victoria. It is potentially an election year federally. Dutton outright lied with his inflammatory comment Victorians are “scared to go out to restaurants” because of “African gang violence” - why make a deliberately demonizing sweeping statement with no evidence? To divide. To distract. Around the same time as the 'African Gangs' hype it was barely reported that Australia was experiencing the longest continual fall of living standards in more than 25 years - but it barely rated a mention.

Dutton's motives were purely political, given the elections that loom as you've rightly pointed out. He's from Queensland and the Libs are desperate to wrestle back some ground from the Hanson brigade, so he's tried to beat One Nation to the punch with a dog-whistle tailored for the conservative Queensland base. How the **** does Dutton even know what's going on down in Melbourne anyway? Too touchy-feely-arty-lefty a city for his provincial Queensland cop sensibilities.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:50 am

cracka wrote:https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/07/victorian-crime-wave-confirmed-abs/

Terrible article. Statistics haven't been adjusted for a per capita rate:

Also, for that period Victoria was the only state or territory in which the number of offenders decreased between 2014–15 and 2015–16, with a decrease of 3,163 offenders (or 4%).
Q.
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 am

Trader wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:As people grow into their community, it also reduces.

Remember the Asian crime fear of the early 90s?
Weren't true blue Aussies worried about crime in the 50s and 60s as Italian and Greek immigrants moved here?

Is that because society was highly aware of it and vigilant to the fact, almost forcing them to tidy up their act?
I don't know, but I would suggest that if people are behaving badly, and society was pushing for that behavior to stop, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

They 'tidy up their act' as they settle deeper into our country and become used to the way our society operates - as this occurs, they also start to work their way up the financial scale. Meanwhile, as this is happening, the 'mainstream community' finds a level of acceptance for their presence and starts eating at their restaurants and finding out they can play sport. Then, all of a sudden, Mario is okay, so's Marino and the Nguyen family are part of the furniture. Then we all find another immigrant group to be scared of.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Trader wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:As people grow into their community, it also reduces.

Remember the Asian crime fear of the early 90s?
Weren't true blue Aussies worried about crime in the 50s and 60s as Italian and Greek immigrants moved here?

Is that because society was highly aware of it and vigilant to the fact, almost forcing them to tidy up their act?
I don't know, but I would suggest that if people are behaving badly, and society was pushing for that behavior to stop, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

They 'tidy up their act' as they settle deeper into our country and become used to the way our society operates - as this occurs, they also start to work their way up the financial scale. Meanwhile, as this is happening, the 'mainstream community' finds a level of acceptance for their presence and starts eating at their restaurants and finding out they can play sport. Then, all of a sudden, Mario is okay, so's Marino and the Nguyen family are part of the furniture. Then we all find another immigrant group to be scared of.

So there's a group of people who are yet to "settle into the way our society operates", therefore suggesting they're acting in a different manner to what our society typically accepts, yet we shouldn't be concerned?

Every wave of immigration has given rise to concern from the "mainstream community" and history suggests that each wave has brought it's own demons with them, why wouldn't "mainstream communities" have concerns over the next?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

Never said we shouldn't be concerned.
My main belief is it shouldn't be overplayed - like it currently is.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Never said we shouldn't be concerned.
My main belief is it shouldn't be overplayed - like it currently is.

I think the concerns at the moment are indeed being overplayed, not to the extent that the opposition to the concerns are suggesting it is though.

One could argue the concerns are self fulfilling, create enough negativity towards a group and that group has more reason to fight against the majority.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby morell » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am

When someone says:

"this is not out of normal for people of this age and social profile, and has nothing to do with immigration"

That doesn't equate to:

"Let people get away with whatever they want"

Just so everyone is clear.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics