SAWFL 2018

Adelaide Footy League Talk

SAWFL 2018

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

Any news of the womens competition front?

It seems to be expanding yet again with many more new teams this season, I know Smithfield had a sign up day over the weekend where 26 registered, not bad going with the well established Angle Vale FC just down the road with two senior womens teams and Eastern Park had a successful entry into the comp last season.

The travel was a bit crazy last season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Re: SAWFL

Postby Pag » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am

I would think Div 1 might be expanded to 9/10 teams, with A/B grades following each other like the blokes.

Div 2 - Div 5 would be for single team clubs.

Season starting after Easter, same as the blokes, which means a slight overlap with the SANFL women's comp.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Re: SAWFL

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Pag wrote:I would think Div 1 might be expanded to 9/10 teams, with A/B grades following each other like the blokes.

Div 2 - Div 5 would be for single team clubs.

Season starting after Easter, same as the blokes, which means a slight overlap with the SANFL women's comp.

Div 1 has 8 teams with Christies Beach and Angle Vale joining Div 1. Season starts i believe April 28-29
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: SAWFL 2018

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm

My mail is that womens will go from something like 45 teams in 2017 to nominations of around 75 for 2018.

Even if half of those nominated get up, I reckon HQ would be working around the clock to work out how it should look this year with travel and all that given they have clubs from Hills, SFL and I even understand one from Murray Bridge (which will probably go in a hills div I'd say)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My mail is that womens will go from something like 45 teams in 2017 to nominations of around 75 for 2018.

Even if half of those nominated get up, I reckon HQ would be working around the clock to work out how it should look this year with travel and all that given they have clubs from Hills, SFL and I even understand one from Murray Bridge (which will probably go in a hills div I'd say)

Going to be a head **** in itself to ensure groundspace is available to physically play the games on.

Will be a few hoping its not too wetter winter!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My mail is that womens will go from something like 45 teams in 2017 to nominations of around 75 for 2018.

Murray Bridge already had a team, as did Aldinga, Iron Bank, Blackwood, Nairne Bremer, Mt Lofty & Kangarilla, a fair span geographically.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm

jo172 wrote:

Going to be a head **** in itself to ensure groundspace is available to physically play the games on.

Will be a few hoping its not too wetter winter!

Friday nights, Saturday after teams A Grade or when the men are away are always timeslots, late Sunday's are used too pretty often, they seem to work it out pretty well currently although some 8pm starts get a bit brisk and foggy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Not sure how it'll work support staff wise, but could they play a double header with a mens C grade?

Some may not see this as viable because triple headers are life but at least it may encourage more income every week at the club BBQ and canteen wise

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby mickey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Moving to Saturday afternoons could hinder some players who have football as their 2nd sport. I know a few who netball on Saturday and football on Sundays
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Not sure how it'll work support staff wise, but could they play a double header with a mens C grade?

Some may not see this as viable because triple headers are life but at least it may encourage more income every week at the club BBQ and canteen wise

Most existing clubs that I've encountered are pretty much a separate identity to their senior footy, therefore have their own support staff.

mickey wrote:Moving to Saturday afternoons could hinder some players who have football as their 2nd sport. I know a few who netball on Saturday and football on Sundays

A lot already use the Saturday timeslot.

One thing I've seen over the past few years with the SAWFL is that it is a lot like the AFL with the match schedules, they send out a draft fixture for clubs to look at and then they will barter with the league for possible changes of games that they know they will have troubles with, some clubs announce they will host all their home games at 6pm on a Saturday, there's a lot of give and take.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah I wasn't really sure as to how the girls work in terms of support staff etc...

Footy Chick

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Murray Bridge already had a team, as did Aldinga, Iron Bank, Blackwood, Nairne Bremer, Mt Lofty & Kangarilla, a fair span geographically.

I thought there was talk of a HFL Womens div..... as it was Div 4 last season (I think) had Ironbank, Kangy, Nairne B & Mt Lofty as 4 of the 8 teams...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Yeah I wasn't really sure as to how the girls work in terms of support staff etc...

From what I saw, it was get support staff from wherever you could...... My son, ended up as team runner for his GF's team a fair few times. I think he was even the Goal Ump one week!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Not sure how it'll work support staff wise, but could they play a double header with a mens C grade?

Most existing clubs that I've encountered are pretty much a separate identity to their senior footy, therefore have their own support staff.

mickey wrote:Moving to Saturday afternoons could hinder some players who have football as their 2nd sport. I know a few who netball on Saturday and football on Sundays

A lot already use the Saturday timeslot.

One thing I've seen over the past few years with the SAWFL is that it is a lot like the AFL with the match schedules, they send out a draft fixture for clubs to look at and then they will barter with the league for possible changes of games that they know they will have troubles with, some clubs announce they will host all their home games at 6pm on a Saturday, there's a lot of give and take.

PNU talking about having Quadruple headers. Would be great for the girls as they will be on 4th and will have a crowd to play in front of and feel part of the club. Could be a few lads on the balcony with some real sparkling repartee after 8 hours of football and a a few shandis. :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I thought there was talk of a HFL Womens div..... as it was Div 4 last season (I think) had Ironbank, Kangy, Nairne B & Mt Lofty as 4 of the 8 teams...

Would make sense.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Yeah I wasn't really sure as to how the girls work in terms of support staff etc...

From what I saw, it was get support staff from wherever you could...... My son, ended up as team runner for his GF's team a fair few times. I think he was even the Goal Ump one week!

Yep, some clubs found it tough getting help with the goals and boundary, not a huge spectator sport.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:21 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

PNU talking about having Quadruple headers. Would be great for the girls as they will be on 4th and will have a crowd to play in front of and feel part of the club. Could be a few lads on the balcony with some real sparkling repartee after 8 hours of football and a a few shandis. :lol:

Could work, could be a blight on your club aswell, I've umpired games after senior footy where the team managers have asked for the pissed blokes to be removed due to their sexist comments etc.

It's the most rapidly growing sport in the country so it needs to be handled with a bit of decorum and respect, if you're not there to support or have an interest in the game, go elsewhere.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Not sure we should be programming games based on it being someone's second sport. Either they want to play or they don't.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Keefy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Would make sense.
Was talk of it but sounds like the HFL have dropped the ball there.

So as mentioned there will be a div made up of mainly hills clubs plus Murray Bridge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Could work, could be a blight on your club aswell, I've umpired games after senior footy where the team managers have asked for the pissed blokes to be removed due to their sexist comments etc.

It's the most rapidly growing sport in the country so it needs to be handled with a bit of decorum and respect, if you're not there to support or have an interest in the game, go elsewhere.

This is a footy forum LM, not clementine Ford’s page. If you have no interest in being vaguely amusing go elsewhere.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League