Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:
Spargo wrote:I use to be a two miler, now I barely get out of the gates...

Might be the state of the track mate, maybe need a new Penetrometer?

Lugging bit off, tongue tie off, winkers on...

Gelding needed?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 am

The Turpin family 'House of Horrors' that was just discovered in California. How this kind of atrocity can happen in this day and age at the hands of people who are the children's so-called 'parents' is as utterly astounding as it is tragic.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/neighbours-recall-turpin-family-behaviour-following-shocking-discovery-inside-home/news-story/c5c1d0fca937ff6c2ac8482e7893e157
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

Magellan wrote:The Turpin family 'House of Horrors' that was just discovered in California. How this kind of atrocity can happen in this day and age at the hands of people who are the children's so-called 'parents' is as utterly astounding as it is tragic.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/neighbours-recall-turpin-family-behaviour-following-shocking-discovery-inside-home/news-story/c5c1d0fca937ff6c2ac8482e7893e157

Astounding is indeed the word, among many others that could be used.

I watched probably 4 or 5 services run this story and just sat gob smacked through every one of them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 am

Things that give me the sh1ts...

This time every year, the amount of hate fuelling, racist, divisive crap that goes around FB in relation to Aus Day. Stupid posters aimed at doing nothing that create a divide amongst society, and worse still going through the comments that people post!

Why can't we all just get along? :'(
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

The Bedge wrote:Things that give me the sh1ts...

This time every year, the amount of hate fuelling, racist, divisive crap that goes around FB in relation to Aus Day. Stupid posters aimed at doing nothing that create a divide amongst society, and worse still going through the comments that people post!

I blame the Australian Greens....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 am

My view, January 26 is an important day in our history. It was the day that our indigenous people had their world changed forever, it was the day that many of us, as anglo-Australians, first had our ancestors walk the land. For both "sides" of this discussion January 26 is a day that will be part of our shared history forever. Forever.

I've posted these thoughts previously, I would like to see January 26 be commemorated in a respectful manner much like Anzac Day is. A day of quiet reflection for what transpired, a time to bow your head to those who paid the ultimate price. For the first nations people this wasn't one they had any say in, so I appreciate this differs from the Anzac Day meaning.

It is however the modern day "vibe" of Australia Day that is, in my non-indigenous view, much of the reason for the #changethedate movement. I don't recall Australia Day having such negative feelings in the past, perhaps the oafish flag-wearing morons who march our streets saying "Love it r **** off" in recent times have given the day a different feel, vibe.

Question to those of you who are indigenous, could we, as Australians one and all, commemorate January 26 in a manner that would respectfully acknowledge our shared history or must we move Australia Day to another date?

If so, is there a date that you, as an indigenous person, see befitting of our national day of celebration / commemoration?

None of this is designed to hurt or inflame the discussion, it's simply my view and if moving the date is the answer, then let's move the date, but I think January 26 will always be a day this nation marks, it's just how we do it....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 am

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am

Booney wrote:

My view, January 26 is an important day in our history. It was the day that our indigenous people had their world changed forever, it was the day that many of us, as anglo-Australians, first had our ancestors walk the land. For both "sides" of this discussion January 26 is a day that will be part of our shared history forever. Forever.

I've posted these thoughts previously, I would like to see January 26 be commemorated in a respectful manner much like Anzac Day is. A day of quiet reflection for what transpired, a time to bow your head to those who paid the ultimate price. For the first nations people this wasn't one they had any say in, so I appreciate this differs from the Anzac Day meaning.

It is however the modern day "vibe" of Australia Day that is, in my non-indigenous view, much of the reason for the #changethedate movement. I don't recall Australia Day having such negative feelings in the past, perhaps the oafish flag-wearing morons who march our streets saying "Love it r **** off" in recent times have given the day a different feel, vibe.

Question to those of you who are indigenous, could we, as Australians one and all, commemorate January 26 in a manner that would respectfully acknowledge our shared history or must we move Australia Day to another date?

If so, is there a date that you, as an indigenous person, see befitting of our national day of celebration / commemoration?

None of this is designed to hurt or inflame the discussion, it's simply my view and if moving the date is the answer, then let's move the date, but I think January 26 will always be a day this nation marks, it's just how we do it....

Excellent point. Australia Day has become excessively jingo-ified in last couple of decades IMHO.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

Booney wrote:Question to those of you who are indigenous, could we, as Australians one and all, commemorate January 26 in a manner that would respectfully acknowledge our shared history

No, never. Just like white Australians would never celebrate the day the Japanese bombed Darwin.

Booney wrote: so, is there a date that you, as an indigenous person, see befitting of our national day of celebration / commemoration?

Any date EXCEPT for January 26 would be an improvement.
Personally I think that date that other countries similar to us celebrate which would be January 1 would be more suitable, the day we became a nation.
Maybe even July 30 or July 28 which were celebrated as Australia Day in this country before January 26 was.
I had a bit of time up my sleeve the other day and couldn't find another similar country that celebrates when white invaders/colonists first came to their country (US, NZ, Canada, etc). Its amazing how backwards Australia is in this regard. Mind you Columbus Day was an interesting one considering Columbus never set foot in the US but even that day in the US is dying/changing.

It'll change eventually, hopefully in my lifetime, so Ill be able to celebrate an Australia Day one day.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

Just looked into NZ's day.

Waitangi Day, named after Waitangi where the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed, commemorates a significant day in the history of New Zealand. Ceremonies take place each year on 6 February to celebrate the signing of the treaty, New Zealand's founding document, on that date in 1840. The day is a public holiday, unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, when the Monday that immediately follows becomes the public holiday.

History[edit]
The Treaty of Waitangi was first signed on 6 February 1840, in a marquee in the grounds of James Busby's house (now known as the Treaty House) at Waitangi in the Bay of Islands by representatives acting on behalf of the British Crown and initially, more than 40 Māori chiefs. During the next seven months, copies of the treaty were carried around the country to give other chiefs the opportunity to sign. The signing had the effect of securing British sovereignty over the islands of New Zealand, which was proclaimed on 21 May 1840.[3]

Early celebrations[edit]
Prior to 1934, most celebrations of New Zealand's founding as a colony were held on 29 January, the date on which William Hobson arrived in the Bay of Islands to issue the proclamation, which had been prepared by colonial office officials in England. Hobson had no draft treaty. From the British perspective the proclamation was the key legal document, "what the treaty said was less important".

As I said in my initial comments, change the date if we can't see January 26 ever being a date we can all acknowledge.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:20 am

I'm sure there are plenty of dates it could fall on. I've been an advocate of changing the date but i'm not going to try and push the agenda, nor am I going to abuse those who disagree.

My biggest gripe - from both sides of the coin - is that this hatred appears elevated this time of the year.. passionate aboriginal people posting about change the date, and the commentary that surrounds that, and then the "patriarchal" Aussies who fuel the "get over it".. "love it or f**k off" etc side of the coin, and of course the commentary that follows that, and how quickly it turns very nasty.

Probably not making much sense haha.. examples:

Person on FB shared a poster this morning:
"No one blames Americans born after the bombing of Hiroshima for what happened..
No one blames Germans born after WW2 for what happened..
So why are white Australians still being blamed for what happened in the 1700's?

Comments on it include:
"Because we pay their social welfare so they have time to complain. The rest of us are too busy working to complain."
"There aren't even any full blood abos left, rest don't have a leg to stand on"
"Idiots running the country"
"because blacks want more white man handouts"
"emotionally weak attention seekers"
"Blamed for what? Bringing the abbos out of the stone age?"

Example 2:
Poster shared "Proud Australian - who will be celebrating Aus Day on the 26th Jan?"
Comments - similar to above.

Then I have a large number of Aboriginal mates who share/post numerous stuff on the other side of the coin about atrocities occurred, and reasons to change date etc or posters that depict previous used dates for Aus Day.. and low and behold the comments are just as bad on them, and regularly spiral out of control.

So much hatred, and so much crap that encourages it.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 am

Booney wrote:Just looked into NZ's day.

Waitangi Day, named after Waitangi where the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed, commemorates a significant day in the history of New Zealand. Ceremonies take place each year on 6 February to celebrate the signing of the treaty, New Zealand's founding document, on that date in 1840. The day is a public holiday, unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, when the Monday that immediately follows becomes the public holiday.

History[edit]
The Treaty of Waitangi was first signed on 6 February 1840, in a marquee in the grounds of James Busby's house (now known as the Treaty House) at Waitangi in the Bay of Islands by representatives acting on behalf of the British Crown and initially, more than 40 Māori chiefs. During the next seven months, copies of the treaty were carried around the country to give other chiefs the opportunity to sign. The signing had the effect of securing British sovereignty over the islands of New Zealand, which was proclaimed on 21 May 1840.[3]

Early celebrations[edit]
Prior to 1934, most celebrations of New Zealand's founding as a colony were held on 29 January, the date on which William Hobson arrived in the Bay of Islands to issue the proclamation, which had been prepared by colonial office officials in England. Hobson had no draft treaty. From the British perspective the proclamation was the key legal document, "what the treaty said was less important".

As I said in my initial comments, change the date if we can't see January 26 ever being a date we can all acknowledge.

Well then, have Australia sign a treaty and make it that date..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 am

Wedgie wrote:Personally I think that date that other countries similar to us celebrate which would be January 1 would be more suitable, the day we became a nation.

I like this idea. As someone else has said on this forum, 26 January seems more like "New South Wales" Day rather than a properly inclusive "Australia" day with significance to what Australia is: a federation of the Commonwealth and six states. January 1, being the day the Constitution that created the Australian federation took effect, is an appropriate day IMO as Wedgie suggests, or perhaps 9 July being the date the Constitution Act was passed.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 am

It's such a divisive issue, like Bedge, I just wish we could all get along without any prejudices.

I speak only for myself, but the way I see it, the date for Australia Day doesn't matter to me - I'm thankful and proud of my country every day.

It does however, matter to many people I know and have met over the years and if we're going to have a party/celebration, then I'd prefer it was all inclusive on a date that works for everyone.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

I'm passionate about the issue but would never post on facebook about it. Facebook isn't the place for these sort of issues, or politics or religious issues IMHO. I'm not even facebook friends with my parents due to me taking issue with some of the anti-muslim crap and other lies (that they believed without checking) they put on there. Its amazing how redneck/ignorant some people become after living in the country for 25 + years.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:Question to those of you who are indigenous, could we, as Australians one and all, commemorate January 26 in a manner that would respectfully acknowledge our shared history

No, never. Just like white Australians would never celebrate the day the Japanese bombed Darwin.

We commemorate the day we got slaughtered by the Turks. So I can see where booney is coming from in that regard.

Personally I think that aboriginals should be recognised in the constitution - and maybe a good day to officially do that would be jan 26. Then Australia Day can become indigenous recognition day.

That way it can serve as a day we acknowledge that we can’t change the past, but we can try to move forward - and it can stay on the same date.

Don’t meant to sound tokenistic but what would resident aboriginals think about that? I’m far from the best person to comment on that so I’m happy to be persuaded by other arguments.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

The Bedge wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of dates it could fall on. I've been an advocate of changing the date but i'm not going to try and push the agenda, nor am I going to abuse those who disagree.

My biggest gripe - from both sides of the coin - is that this hatred appears elevated this time of the year.. passionate aboriginal people posting about change the date, and the commentary that surrounds that, and then the "patriarchal" Aussies who fuel the "get over it".. "love it or f**k off" etc side of the coin, and of course the commentary that follows that, and how quickly it turns very nasty.

Probably not making much sense haha.. examples:

Person on FB shared a poster this morning:
"No one blames Americans born after the bombing of Hiroshima for what happened..
No one blames Germans born after WW2 for what happened..
So why are white Australians still being blamed for what happened in the 1700's?

Comments on it include:
"Because we pay their social welfare so they have time to complain. The rest of us are too busy working to complain."
"There aren't even any full blood abos left, rest don't have a leg to stand on"
"Idiots running the country"
"because blacks want more white man handouts"
"emotionally weak attention seekers"
"Blamed for what? Bringing the abbos out of the stone age?"

Example 2:
Poster shared "Proud Australian - who will be celebrating Aus Day on the 26th Jan?"
Comments - similar to above.

Then I have a large number of Aboriginal mates who share/post numerous stuff on the other side of the coin about atrocities occurred, and reasons to change date etc or posters that depict previous used dates for Aus Day.. and low and behold the comments are just as bad on them, and regularly spiral out of control.

So much hatred, and so much crap that encourages it.

Absolutely, my fears are the debate invokes so much passion that a date we can all agree on would be harder to establish that the one we don't agree on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

bennymacca wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

We commemorate the day we got slaughtered by the Turks. So I can see where booney is coming from in that regard.

Personally I think that aboriginals should be recognised in the constitution - and maybe a good day to officially do that would be jan 26. Then Australia Day can become indigenous recognition day.

That way it can serve as a day we acknowledge that we can’t change the past, but we can try to move forward - and it can stay on the same date.

Don’t meant to sound tokenistic but what would resident aboriginals think about that? I’m far from the best person to comment on that so I’m happy to be persuaded by other arguments.

Not an option. Think its a terrible idea. Dont have an issue with an Indigenous recognition day or an Australia Day, fully supportive of them both but January 26 cannot be used, its too painful and disrespectful.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

JK wrote:It's such a divisive issue, like Bedge, I just wish we could all get along without any prejudices.

I speak only for myself, but the way I see it, the date for Australia Day doesn't matter to me - I'm thankful and proud of my country every day.

It does however, matter to many people I know and have met over the years and if we're going to have a party/celebration, then I'd prefer it was all inclusive on a date that works for everyone.

Well said!!
Agree with everything you said but what is that ‘magical’ date everyone will agree on?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:It's such a divisive issue, like Bedge, I just wish we could all get along without any prejudices.

Well said!!
Agree with everything you said but what is that ‘magical’ date everyone will agree on?

Does anyone think this is even possible, let alone probable?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion