Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:It's such a divisive issue, like Bedge, I just wish we could all get along without any prejudices.

I speak only for myself, but the way I see it, the date for Australia Day doesn't matter to me - I'm thankful and proud of my country every day.

It does however, matter to many people I know and have met over the years and if we're going to have a party/celebration, then I'd prefer it was all inclusive on a date that works for everyone.

Well said!!
Agree with everything you said but what is that ‘magical’ date everyone will agree on?

Does anyone think this is even possible, let alone probable?

Unfortunately NO
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:It's such a divisive issue, like Bedge, I just wish we could all get along without any prejudices.

I speak only for myself, but the way I see it, the date for Australia Day doesn't matter to me - I'm thankful and proud of my country every day.

It does however, matter to many people I know and have met over the years and if we're going to have a party/celebration, then I'd prefer it was all inclusive on a date that works for everyone.

Well said!!
Agree with everything you said but what is that ‘magical’ date everyone will agree on?

Not everyone as extremists for example would never be happy its not Jan 26.
Easy to find a day thats respectful to everyone that most people should be happy with though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am

Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a time when anything is acceptable because of what happened in the past.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Well said!!

Unfortunately NO

Sadly, this.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Well said!!

There won’t be a date we can all agree on, but surely Squabbling about random dates is a better option than telling a whole country of people who were taken over by Europeans just to shut up and take their medicine
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm

No one is saying that Benny.......... well at least not us on SAFooty.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Agree with the posters above about how Australia Day seems to have become jingo-fied, as Magellan put it, over the last 10-15 years. As a kid in the '80's I can't really recall too much happening other than it being mentioned, and then in the 90's it seemed to be celebrated more without being over the top, but now there is a lot, not all, that goes on that is cringeworthy boorishness or worse. This takes the gloss off the awards, particularly at a local community level, people who are being recognised for doing special things in their own quiet way, and probably don't want to be caught in the debate on one side or the other.

As I said on another thread, I first thought this was being stirred up by people not directly affected looking for another cause, but after a visit to the National Treasures at the Library in Canberra, one of the pieces was for a flyer advertising a rally in 1938 (150 years) protesting about it, so it is not new and caused me to change my thoughts to be accepting of a date change.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby tipper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:11 pm

leave jan 26 as a public holiday. not as australia day, but as a day to commemorate/remember where we came from, and the things that werent so good about our country

then have jan 27 as australia day to celebrate where we are/where we are going. the things that we are doing right.

after all, whats more australian than an extra public holiday
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

And if it falls on Monday/Tuesday then why bother coming the rest of the week :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tipper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:And if it falls on Monday/Tuesday then why bother coming the rest of the week :)

exactly. it would be another week like christmas/boxing day, but without having to go spend time with all the rellies you only see at christmas.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby reppoh_eht » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm passionate about the issue but would never post on facebook about it. Facebook isn't the place for these sort of issues, or politics or religious issues IMHO. I'm not even facebook friends with my parents due to me taking issue with some of the anti-muslim crap and other lies (that they believed without checking) they put on there. Its amazing how redneck/ignorant some people become after living in the country for 25 + years.

What's the difference between Facebook (an online social media that allows people to post what they like and have others provide comment) and SAFooty (an online social media that allows people to post what they like and have others provide comment)?

*I have no view on the actual topic being discussed, just curious about your comment above...
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:46 pm

reppoh_eht wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'm passionate about the issue but would never post on facebook about it. Facebook isn't the place for these sort of issues, or politics or religious issues IMHO. I'm not even facebook friends with my parents due to me taking issue with some of the anti-muslim crap and other lies (that they believed without checking) they put on there. Its amazing how redneck/ignorant some people become after living in the country for 25 + years.

What's the difference between Facebook (an online social media that allows people to post what they like and have others provide comment) and SAFooty (an online social media that allows people to post what they like and have others provide comment)?

*I have no view on the actual topic being discussed, just curious about your comment above...

Just my opinion/preference, I prefer to use facebook for fun things, I like seeing where people are in the world, what events are happening that people are going to, what they're up to and how their children are. I'm not interested in peoples political views and am even less interested in propaganda which is incorrect forwarded on from people/organisations using it to justify ridiculous and sometimes racist causes. I don't want to have fall outs with my facebook friends which happens if they post crap like that. I much prefer forums for discussion.

I was just agreeing with the person that made the point originally.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:48 pm

tipper wrote:leave jan 26 as a public holiday. not as australia day, but as a day to commemorate/remember where we came from, and the things that werent so good about our country

then have jan 27 as australia day to celebrate where we are/where we are going. the things that we are doing right.

Jan 26 isn't a holiday for me, I'll be working 9+ hours at my normal pay rate. Public Holidays are irrelevent these days.
I'm hoping to still find time to attend the Invasion Day rally though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 pm

If Australia Day is moved will people still attend Invasion Day / Survival Day rallies?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Wedgie wrote:
tipper wrote:leave jan 26 as a public holiday. not as australia day, but as a day to commemorate/remember where we came from, and the things that werent so good about our country

Jan 26 isn't a holiday for me, I'll be working 9+ hours at my normal pay rate. Public Holidays are irrelevent these days.

irrelevant to you maybe, but not to anyone else i know.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Ignore the date, obviously no one will ever agree on one. First Friday in Feb (so it never falls on the 26th Jan) and everyone is free to celebrate it as they see fit.

As for the increase in misguided patriotism and anger at people who have a differing opinion, I would be pretty confident that the increase would coincide with the advent of social media. Everyone can have an opinion but not everyone deserves to be heard.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Booney wrote:If Australia Day is moved will people still attend Invasion Day / Survival Day rallies?

Probably not, the main reason of the Invasion Day rallies I've attended is to oppose the current date of Australia Day.
Personally if it got moved I would just treat Jan 26 as another day.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

tipper wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I could introduce you to at least 2000 of them on Friday 26th at my workplace if you want.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tipper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:
tipper wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I could introduce you to at least 2000 of them on Friday 26th at my workplace if you want.

so because public holidays dont benefit hospitality workers the rest of us should miss out? no thanks. im selfish like that
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 pm

tipper wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

He means irrelevant as the award he's under doesn't pay penalty rates for working on a public holiday. Fair? Probably not, but he doesn't set alarms for Monday morning so....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion