Who said they're pansies out Unley way?

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Who said they're pansies out Unley way?

Postby Magellan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Watched this Channel Nine Football Show highlights package of the 1976 grand final a weeks or so ago, and had to laugh at this piece of commentary (at 31:35), once it looked like Sturt had Port's measure:

"Who said they're pansies out Unley way...they've tackled every bit as hard as Port Adelaide have all day."

Pansies!! I guess you couldn't question sexuality with an equivalent term that might've been readily expressed in the outer on a live television broadcast, even in the mid 70s. Presumably it's an inference that Sturt were not a tough side.

Given this victory gave them their 7th flag in 11 seasons, four of which were against Port and three against Fos Williams (an advocate of a stridently physical 'non-pansy' game style), and two of those flag sides won in tough conditions (1970 and 1974), this comment seems like bullshit. Perhaps those who were there at the time might have more to contribute on Sturt's toughness status in that era.

Also, David Granger's kick to the legs of Sturt's number 15 (can't immediately recall who that is) at 32:00 was also a sign of things to come.

Third, great intro theme music. 8)

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: Who said they're pansies out Unley way?

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm

In the end footy skills always win the contest.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Ian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 am

VALE PARK wrote:In the end footy skills always win the contest.

Not always, especially in Grand Finals
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

Magellan wrote:Watched this Channel Nine Football Show highlights package of the 1976 grand final a weeks or so ago, and had to laugh at this piece of commentary (at 31:35), once it looked like Sturt had Port's measure:

"Who said they're pansies out Unley way...they've tackled every bit as hard as Port Adelaide have all day."

Pansies!! I guess you couldn't question sexuality with an equivalent term that might've been readily expressed in the outer on a live television broadcast, even in the mid 70s. Presumably it's an inference that Sturt were not a tough side.

Given this victory gave them their 7th flag in 11 seasons, four of which were against Port and three against Fos Williams (an advocate of a stridently physical 'non-pansy' game style), and two of those flag sides won in tough conditions (1970 and 1974), this comment seems like bullshit. Perhaps those who were there at the time might have more to contribute on Sturt's toughness status in that era.

Also, David Granger's kick to the legs of Sturt's number 15 (can't immediately recall who that is) at 32:00 was also a sign of things to come.

Third, great intro theme music. 8)

Nigel Wark
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Nigel Wark

Thanks Jimmy.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Granger was simply an utter grub of our game.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jimmy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Pansies might have referred to how Sturt we’re using more handball and therefore more finessed than port who were a more kick and mark, kick and mark sort of team. Sturt were definitely tough in those days. Dad has relayed this to me many times over the years. Although by 76 other teams started copying them. I think the 66 GF had the handball count of Sturt 70-odd to port 8 lol
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Sturt had a different style to Port but it's a matter of degrees. Sturt players were not soft, the Port players were well skilled. They had some epic clashes in front of big crowds back then and I doubt anyone could call the players soft.
The soft tag was thrown at Sturt at fair bit . I recall going to a game about 1987 and a loud opposition Torrens supporter was sure that Sturt was a 'handbag' side. Daryl Hicks, now well entrenched in the Centrals zone, believes that Centrals and Sturt have to play the game differently, because they need to identify with the areas that they represent. I can't recall his exact words, but it was something along those lines, the inference being that Centrals represent their blue collar area and Sturt represent the more affluent Unley area, therefore their football sides will be different.
I'm not sure I take to that extent, certainly they draw on different areas, but it's a fascinating discussion. I think it has more to do with the coach personally, some of those Phil Carmen Sturt sides, once they got the personnel right, were as physical as anyone.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Granger also king hit Michael Graham in that game, out on the SE flank IIRC.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Grenville » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Talking to a mad Sturt supporter today who I've worked with for over 10 years, he mentioned his old man is a Sturt playing life member from the 50's Gus Hunter. His first opponent was Doug Thomas who walked up to him and told him he was going to kill him. True to his word he knocked him out not long after.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum