Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:50 am

Homemade burgers

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Homemade burgers

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Choice.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 am

Ying Chow - Gouger St, Adelaide

Popped in prior to seeing the Greenday musical ( see Music forum ) with another couple for a bite to eat. The other couple are familiar with the place for it's Shallot pancakes, so, in we go.

Small but clean little restaurant, just West of Chinatown on Gouger St. Air conditioning was working a treat on the hot day, well played.

For entree we went the shallot pancakes and a serve of spring rolls, friends went shallot pancakes and beef satays. Shallot pancakes, wow! More of a batter scroll than a pancake, with a lemony dipping sauce these things rocked, worth going back for just on their own!

For mains we shared an e-shand beef, chicken with cashew nut, shanghai noodles with pork and a table fried rice.

E-shand beef was excellent, thinly sliced, tender, perfectly cooked with just enough spice to get the lips tingling, the chicken and cashew nut was fresh and tasty, the veggies done perfectly so they were just crunchy, the shanghai hokkien noodles had a slight bbq flavour, the pork in it was crispy, fried rice the standard with plenty of egg, prawns and pork throughout.

The girls had 2 vodka and lemonades each, the lads two pales each. Total bill was $148. $37 per head including two drinks each...beautiful food and really attentive without being over bearing service. 4 entree's, 2 mains and 2 side dishes, 2 spirits and 4 beers. Great value.

Highly recommend and make sure you have the shallot pancakes to start with.

As far as Chinese I've had of late, this gets a 9/10. Great food.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Homemade burgers

I'm interested to see if there's going to be a negative review of this one. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Taminga is usually when I see my wife’s grandmother. My grandparents love the Southern too so whenever we have family lunches we probably end up in a gianotto establishment 50% of the time. Much to my chagrin

A trivia question for you: What connection to the Australian cricket team does the Gianotto name have?

maybe they sponsored darren lehmann?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Booney wrote:Ying Chow - Gouger St, Adelaide

Popped in prior to seeing the Greenday musical ( see Music forum ) with another couple for a bite to eat. The other couple are familiar with the place for it's Shallot pancakes, so, in we go.

Small but clean little restaurant, just West of Chinatown on Gouger St. Air conditioning was working a treat on the hot day, well played.

For entree we went the shallot pancakes and a serve of spring rolls, friends went shallot pancakes and beef satays. Shallot pancakes, wow! More of a batter scroll than a pancake, with a lemony dipping sauce these things rocked, worth going back for just on their own!

For mains we shared an e-shand beef, chicken with cashew nut, shanghai noodles with pork and a table fried rice.

E-shand beef was excellent, thinly sliced, tender, perfectly cooked with just enough spice to get the lips tingling, the chicken and cashew nut was fresh and tasty, the veggies done perfectly so they were just crunchy, the shanghai hokkien noodles had a slight bbq flavour, the pork in it was crispy, fried rice the standard with plenty of egg, prawns and pork throughout.

The girls had 2 vodka and lemonades each, the lads two pales each. Total bill was $148. $37 per head including two drinks each...beautiful food and really attentive without being over bearing service. 4 entree's, 2 mains and 2 side dishes, 2 spirits and 4 beers. Great value.

Highly recommend and make sure you have the shallot pancakes to start with.

As far as Chinese I've had of late, this gets a 9/10. Great food.

yep, best cheap chinese going around imo
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Taminga is usually when I see my wife’s grandmother. My grandparents love the Southern too so whenever we have family lunches we probably end up in a gianotto establishment 50% of the time. Much to my chagrin

A trivia question for you: What connection to the Australian cricket team does the Gianotto name have?

You're close with the Lehmann connection ;)

John Giannitto and Darren Lehmann went to school together (St Brigid's Catholic School, I think).
Lehmann called Giannetto a 'Wog' and he responded by calling him a 'boofhead'. The nickname stuck and was shortened to 'Boof'.

"A friend called Johnny Giannitto gave it to me when we were playing [Aussie rules] footy growing up in Gawler, north of Adelaide, when we were 12. I used to have a big mullet – a bouffant – so it became Boofhead, then Boof. It just stuck from there. He wants a dollar for every time I get called it … he’d be a rich man because I rarely hear Darren these days …"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... -gillespie
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

You're close with the Lehmann connection ;)

John Giannitto and Darren Lehmann went to school together (St Brigid's Catholic School, I think).
Lehmann called Giannetto a 'Wog' and he responded by calling him a 'boofhead'. The nickname stuck and was shortened to 'Boof'.

"A friend called Johnny Giannitto gave it to me when we were playing [Aussie rules] footy growing up in Gawler, north of Adelaide, when we were 12. I used to have a big mullet – a bouffant – so it became Boofhead, then Boof. It just stuck from there. He wants a dollar for every time I get called it … he’d be a rich man because I rarely hear Darren these days …"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... -gillespie

Good story!
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:24 pm

John told me it one day over beers. It's a crack up. They're still very good mates.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Pag » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 am

Copy and pasted this from my Facebook review last night. Goldburger & Steak, Golden Grove.

Phoned an order in, told 15-20 mins wait, no probs.

Arrive 20 mins later, nowhere near ready, busy filling UberEATS bags. No greeting asking what I was after, stood there looking like an idiot for another 10-15 mins while the whole two staff (on a Friday night no less) worked the grill and the assembly.

When they finally asked if anyone was waiting to order, I let them know I had a phone order a while back. Check the computer, they forgot to put names next to the phone orders. As this is going on, a couple with their young son walk out without seemingly having eaten anything. This is going to go well.

Then I pay and am told my chips are only just going on now (apparently there was a problem with the fryer, a quick glance tells me there simply isn't any cooked after filling the four UberEATS orders). Waited another 5-10 mins.

Two burgers go out to two other customers, there are none left ready to go. Still standing. Bloke on the grill then turns to me and asked what I ordered. I answer for the third time, and add that I ordered approx. 45 mins before. He decided to make mine a priority now (over the only other two people in store, who had just walked in). Thanks.

By this point I'm ready to walk out and order next door at Fasta Pasta (I'd still get it quicker), but had paid by card and was stuck.

See a bag being packed, get excited, til I see the UberEATS logo. Wonder what customers they value here? May as well just cook it out of a kitchen at home and not have any dine-in or take-away customers.

Now the joke is just looking at my watch and laughing at how bad this actually is. If the wait is 45 mins to an hour, just tell me that on the phone and don't waste my time.

Finally get my meal in my hand 56 minutes after ordering on the phone and get a quick 'sorry about the wait', no offer of any form or compensation (a can of coke, bottle of water). No offer for something next time to try to entice me back, nothing.

I get home and eat 66 mins after ordering and get a burger and small chips combo that is on par with an average fish and chip shop (but is apparently worth $16). Burger slightly soggy and chips have a tiny bit of salt but not much else.

In summary, an absolute rabble. Any burger joint (or hospitality business in general) worth any pinch would have more than two people working on a Friday night. I can't work out whether or not the two staff were just so overworked they couldn't keep up, they were seemingly working hard, or just had no idea what was going on, but management needs to have a genuine think about the processes they have in place (both numbers of staff and some sort of logical ordering system).

Won't be rushing back anytime soon (or ever, more than likely). For anyone wanting a burger in the north-east, treat yourself and drive 2-3 mins down the Golden Way to Hungry Hen.

Blacklisted.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Ash Man » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Pizza Star Surrey Downs

Has been one of the best places in the area for a long time.
Tonight I decided I’d order from them after frequenting St Agnes Pizza lately.
97mins from order to delivery, no call, no explanation, no “sorry about the wait”.
I have since been told it has new owners that may be celebrating new year next week.

BANNED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 am

It was my turn for punters club for the 3rd week in a row in which my run had come to an end.

As we were about to leave I checked the couple of personal tickets I had in front to find I won $477 from a $4 bet.

I bought a round for those there that I talk to and then we proceeded to leave, I rang Niks BBQ on the Lake and ordered 2 lamb yiros combo deals for a pick up in 10 minutes.

We arrive, I send the better half in while I'm whoofing down a CC's and it is ready to go. We ate the chips on the way home and then shared the first yiros and it is the bomb.

The Churchill Centre makes a mean yiros but these guys have a completely different style, It was about $28 all up for the yiros', chips and a cans of coke.

I'm not generally a chip fan and neither is the wife but their chips are something else, the only thing I can knock them for is that they slugged me 50 cent for BBQ sauce.

It is our go to when I have a good day on the punt and I urge others to try the experience, true Greek style yiros.

I'm yet to try Yianni's though, I've heard that place is #1.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 am

IMHO the Cheeky Greek does the best Yiros, open in Mr Barker now too I believe .. Nice collect btw mate :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:It was my turn for punters club for the 3rd week in a row in which my run had come to an end.

As we were about to leave I checked the couple of personal tickets I had in front to find I won $477 from a $4 bet.

I bought a round for those there that I talk to and then we proceeded to leave, I rang Niks BBQ on the Lake and ordered 2 lamb yiros combo deals for a pick up in 10 minutes.

We arrive, I send the better half in while I'm whoofing down a CC's and it is ready to go. We ate the chips on the way home and then shared the first yiros and it is the bomb.

The Churchill Centre makes a mean yiros but these guys have a completely different style, It was about $28 all up for the yiros', chips and a cans of coke.

I'm not generally a chip fan and neither is the wife but their chips are something else, the only thing I can knock them for is that they slugged me 50 cent for BBQ sauce.

It is our go to when I have a good day on the punt and I urge others to try the experience, true Greek style yiros.

Good to hear LM. My experience with NIk's is that its very hit and miss. I've had some rather poor yiros work from them in the past (and they're not exactly cheap either). In fact I'd rather go the chicken place next door on the corner, pretty good without being awesome but at least reliable and still convenient IMO.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 am

JK wrote:IMHO the Cheeky Greek does the best Yiros, open in Mr Barker now too I believe .. Nice collect btw mate :D

Where are they?

Apparently I gotta try the Burek Lounge.

Yeah, I wasn't even aware, seen the number 6 was coming up a bit during the day so backed 6 to win with 1,2,3,4 & 5 to run the places in the 6th at Gilandra, I still can't work out how 20% got me so much, anyway I'll take it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 am

Magellan wrote:Good to hear LM. My experience with NIk's is that its very hit and miss. I've had some rather poor yiros work from them in the past (and they're not exactly cheap either). In fact I'd rather go the chicken place next door on the corner, pretty good without being awesome but at least reliable and still convenient IMO.

Yeah, I have a had a howler of an experience there too, the manager did try and butter it up too so all was well in the end.

Thanks for the tip, I've wondered about that place, must go alright to still be there considering the opposition close by.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:It was my turn for punters club for the 3rd week in a row in which my run had come to an end.

#fitFebruary
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Group of 10 of us had our annual lunch/drink fest at Estia yesterday. Been there plenty of times in the last 25 years and it's never disappointed.

Yesterday we had the $45 ph banquet which consisted of:

Dip platters with Pita
Meatballs
Zucchini, Cheese and Onion balls
Chilli Olives
Greek Salads
Kalamari
Lamb
Chicken

Food awesome as always and plentiful, as usual we couldn't get through it all. Service was great and the square a great place to just chill with a drink and take in the scenery.

Bill came to $115 per person after beer, wine, shots, whiskey, champagne and cocktails were flowing freely.

Awesome afternoon before finishing with a few nightcaps at Bacchus.

Estia seriously ticks every box, 9/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 am

Booney wrote:
#fitFebruary

It's still being fit, seeing how much yiros I can fit in my mouth.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:IMHO the Cheeky Greek does the best Yiros, open in Mr Barker now too I believe .. Nice collect btw mate :D

Where are they?

Apparently I gotta try the Burek Lounge.

Yeah, I wasn't even aware, seen the number 6 was coming up a bit during the day so backed 6 to win with 1,2,3,4 & 5 to run the places in the 6th at Gilandra, I still can't work out how 20% got me so much, anyway I'll take it.

Original Cheeky's is opposite the Grange Hotel on Seaview Rd, definitely recommend if you're ever down that way.

Burek Lounge is good too, absolute meat fest!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion