Goodbye Football Park

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Goodbye Football Park

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I remember a trial against Essendon, prior to its AFL push, must have been 88 or early 89, that was held at Footy Park.
The crowd was massive. I went with a school mate and his parents drove up West Lakes Boulevard, saw the cars queued up and decided that we weren't going to get in, so turned around (we ended up at those crappy markets on Grand Junction Road instead).
From memory, the game played a big part in Sheedy recruiting Wanganeen.

That one was really before my time of watching footy. The one I went to was a night game and I don't think it was a sell out or anything but a decent sized crowd.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am

Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Do you mean the trial game? When Gavin Wanganeen introduced himself to the AFL as a young star?
Sold out crowd. Wet day. About 89/90?

IIRC Port played Geelong in a trial match at Footy Park in early 1990.

Also, in 1993 Port played Collingwood at Footy Park in a trial match as well:

I went to the Port vs Collingwood match.

A couple of observations :

Firstly I disagree with David Wildy's opening comment about the guernsey's looking alike. I thought that they were clearly different. As a non Port supporter, I wish that they had stuck to their guns and insisted on keeping the prison bar black and white guernsey. It is too late now but why could the AFL have three blue and white sides, two of which are navy blue and white, but only one black and white side. I thought that in the days before "away" guernseys, Collingwood vs North Melbourne and Collingwood vs Geelong were more of a clash Guernsey wise than Collingwood vs Port Adelaide.

Mark Tylor had a great game, kicking five goals. I rember Leigh Matthews saying that Port's spine, I think that it was Mark Tylor, Darren Smith, Stephen Williams, Greg Phillips and Roger Delaney was AFL standard.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:51 am

I went to the Port v Geelong game, there was long lines and I didnt get into the ground till the 2nd quarter.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:I went to the Port v Geelong game, there was long lines and I didnt get into the ground till the 2nd quarter.

That was the game where the Port kids came out looking like spacemen in their silver jackets :lol: (or that may have been the collingwood game)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby LPH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Well, I loved the place - I basically grew up there as a kid.
We moved to West Lakes in 1974 - the end of Sportsman's Drive.
My Old Man used to drive his Ute to the West Lakes Mall carpark (remember Lloyds, before it was Banner?) on the eve of the Grand Finals in the 70's & early 80's & leave it there, with his BBQ locked inside. Then we would walk there early Saturday Morning, set up the BBQ, & have Breakfast.

He was a Member of SANFLUA & mates with Rick Kinnear, Lawrie Argent, 'Jack' Hilton & others.
I have fond memories of State Games under the Grandstand listening to pre-game speeches by Sheedy & Cornes - I recall literally bumping into Simon Madden in the Race, at 3/4 time of the Curtain Raiser (Norwood U/19s v SA Teal Cup side). Going to the after match function/presentations in the function rooms in awe of stars like Bradley, Platten, Kernahan, Naley, Jarman, Ablett, Watson, Weightman, Flower, Healy, etc.

1984 had the 2 Highlights: The 1st State Game under lights - Kernahan kicking 10; & the Grand Final between Port & Norwood (Torrens won the Ressies that year too) but the 'blue' between Balme & Evans was right in front of us.

1986 State game vs The Vics (the old man stole me a Match Sherrin from the bag - Argent stole 4 of them, hid them in the fridge in the Umpires Room!) that was a great win, particularly after being flogged by 22 man Victoria in '85... The Old Man Goal Umpired the International Rules Game that year too - I was there in the driving rain, & witnessed the Parachutist hit the Concourse Roof in the N/Western Pocket, & die. Took them ages to 'cut him down', as I recall :(

1978 Grand Final, Sturt v Norwood, I contend is still the BEST Grand Final I witnessed...
1980 I worked the 'trades', filling in for a friend's brother on occasion; "Pies, Pasties, Chicko Rolls & Orange Juice" - remember Big Ben Pies & Fruit Boxes?
1993 Modra's mark vs Nth Melbourne - right in front of me @ the Golf Course End... & the final Minor Round Game v Collingwood - I contend that was the LOUDEST I ever heard that place, & I saw most State of Origin Games there.
2006 WWTFC 2nd Flag - I believed that was the point when the 'old loyalties' of the 2 former Clubs were forgotten & the 'Merged Entity' accepted as the single Club
1986 1st Semi Final, Woodville v Port - 39,000 - in the Woodville Cheer Squad that day. Like everybody else in the State (except Port supporters), hoping Woodville would win :D
1982 Preliminary Final, Bays v Port - Granger's hit on Cornes. Again, not far from where we were sitting under-cover in the Concourse.
1981 1st West Torrens Mini League game - played on 1/2 the Oval, running East/West
1987 Pool B Pizza Hut Cup Grand Final - unfortunately lost by 10 points

There are many others but the saddest thing for me is my Old Man's Ashes were scattered there some 25 years ago - he loved the place, as did I. It is sad to see it go, but Adelaide Oval is far more accessible & a better venue.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Hondo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:05 pm

I have been watching a lot of the old SANFL videos on YouTube. I usually only last about 5 mins per game but it is great being able to relive those great old SANFL days pre Crows.

However, re-watching them in today's eyes now we have the Adelaide Oval one thing that really stood out to me in hindsight is just how empty Footy Park was most of the time.

There's a minor round game Port v Centrals from 1979. That's 1st and 3rd for the year in a late season game yet in terms of people there it seemed like the two cheers quads at each end, a scattering of people in the outer and then however many were in the members out of view of the cameras. The rest was a mass of emptiness. The atmosphere was non-existent. That same game at Alberton or Elizabeth would have rocked the foundations.

Even for finals, even in the early 80s and even those involving the so-called "big 4/5" clubs of the era like say Port v Glenelg the ground looks about half full.

IIRC it was only ever full up for the grand final, most state games v Victoria and then some of the double header days that were held. Then early Crows games.

In light of the success of the AO redevelopment and the now obvious advantages of a CBD stadium, does anybody remember there ever being concern about Footy Park being so empty so much of the time? Or was it unrealistic to think that Footy Park was ever going to be near capacity except for those stand out games each year? Was it too big? I think were plans for it to house ~ 70,000 originally.

I know owning Footy Park, rather than sharing the AO, was critical to the bargaining power of the SANFL throughout the 80s and I have many, many fond memories of going there.

I wonder though if hindsight suggests that putting the SANFL's home base so far away from the CBD and without good transport connections was too ambitious and it makes me wonder what land was available closer to the CBD at the time, what different outcome might have occurred if the stadium was centrally located from the start.

All academic now but I am interested in anyone's reactions or views here. Or even facts that about the decision to move to West Lakes that were relevant at the time that I should be considering before being an expert in hindsight.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Hondo wrote:I have been watching a lot of the old SANFL videos on YouTube. I usually only last about 5 mins per game but it is great being able to relive those great old SANFL days pre Crows.

However, re-watching them in today's eyes now we have the Adelaide Oval one thing that really stood out to me in hindsight is just how empty Footy Park was most of the time.

There's a minor round game Port v Centrals from 1979. That's 1st and 3rd for the year in a late season game yet in terms of people there it seemed like the two cheers quads at each end, a scattering of people in the outer and then however many were in the members out of view of the cameras. The rest was a mass of emptiness. The atmosphere was non-existent. That same game at Alberton or Elizabeth would have rocked the foundations.

Even for finals, even in the early 80s and even those involving the so-called "big 4/5" clubs of the era like say Port v Glenelg the ground looks about half full.

IIRC it was only ever full up for the grand final, most state games v Victoria and then some of the double header days that were held. Then early Crows games.

In light of the success of the AO redevelopment and the now obvious advantages of a CBD stadium, does anybody remember there ever being concern about Footy Park being so empty so much of the time? Or was it unrealistic to think that Footy Park was ever going to be near capacity except for those stand out games each year? Was it too big? I think were plans for it to house ~ 70,000 originally.

I know owning Footy Park, rather than sharing the AO, was critical to the bargaining power of the SANFL throughout the 80s and I have many, many fond memories of going there.

I wonder though if hindsight suggests that putting the SANFL's home base so far away from the CBD and without good transport connections was too ambitious and it makes me wonder what land was available closer to the CBD at the time, what different outcome might have occurred if the stadium was centrally located from the start.

All academic now but I am interested in anyone's reactions or views here. Or even facts that about the decision to move to West Lakes that were relevant at the time that I should be considering before being an expert in hindsight.

My understanding is it was never the SANFL's choice to stick Footy Park out at West Lakes, rather it was the only place they could get the land (which was on the cusp of being redeveloped from a shithole swamp into what it is today). The SACA and in particular Bradman at the time were integral in blocking opportunities for the stadium to be built in a more advantageous position.

Also, no-one back in the day grizzled about FP being half full. A crowd of 10,000 people with both sets of passionate fans going at it, especially in a close game, made for a great atmosphere. It was only ever full for GFs and state games, and I think that's what it was designed for given the typical GF crowd at Adelaide Oval was something a bit over 50,000. Also, a half full Footy Park in a finals match again was a great atmosphere, more colorful and exciting than the one-sided crowds you get today at Adelaide Oval - full of noise when the match is going their way but turns pretty quite when they're not (and that includes Showdowns).

Also, you're comparing Adelaide Oval in an AFL competition with one if its tenants with 3/4 of SA as its fan base with Footy Park in the SANFL where there were 10 teams. Apples and oranges.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Hondo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Magellan wrote:Also, you're comparing Adelaide Oval in an AFL competition with one if its tenants with 3/4 of SA as its fan base with Footy Park in the SANFL where there were 10 teams. Apples and oranges.

Yes that is fair enough and even today in the AFL often the G and Ethiad stadium are half full.

And yes Footy Park did have a good atmosphere at the ground, I think it didn't always reflect that way on the TV with so many empty seats.

I am not trying to suggest that Footy Park should have had 40,000 every week. it's just speculation about how many more may have gone to games had it been centrally located but if that was impossible at the time as you say then it's just a hypothetical.

There is also the cost implication of land near or in the CBD versus out at West Lakes.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Hondo wrote:
Magellan wrote:Also, you're comparing Adelaide Oval in an AFL competition with one if its tenants with 3/4 of SA as its fan base with Footy Park in the SANFL where there were 10 teams. Apples and oranges.

Yes that is fair enough and even today in the AFL often the G and Ethiad stadium are half full.

And yes Footy Park did have a good atmosphere at the ground, I think it didn't always reflect that way on the TV with so many empty seats.

I am not trying to suggest that Footy Park should have had 40,000 every week. it's just speculation about how many more may have gone to games had it been centrally located but if that was impossible at the time as you say then it's just a hypothetical.

There is also the cost implication of land near or in the CBD versus out at West Lakes.

They still did have a lot of games at Adelaide Oval and not just Sturt or South's home games, I remember North playing Norwood and Central there in the mid 80s.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Hondo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:17 am

As a teenager without a car I could and did go to AO via public transport in one trip safely. This was 85-86 mostly watching South Adelaide. A trip out to West Lakes from the NE suburbs on my own relying on public transport was realistically impossible for me. If I went with dad in the car it would be up to a 6 hour exercise from leaving home and returning.

I always bumped into kids from school at the AO so clearly its location allowed us to get there safely and so we did.

Then there was the fact dad had to bring the binoculars to watch the game! And if you were on the boundary the players would disappear over a horizon. How times and viewing expectations have changed.

I read an interview with Max post AO redevelopment and while he said AO is now a great stadium he said words like "what we could have done with that same money out at Footy Park". He clearly still wished the SANFL was based out there and wished that millions of taxpayers dollars had been spent on it despite where it was.

Obviously he had a strong emotional connection with the place but I read it and felt he still didn't understand how important the central location was.

Anyway on reading the thread through again, my greatest memories out there:

- 1980 with dad for one of Barrie Robran's last games and dad getting me to watch him through the binoculars.
- 1987 GF
- playing mini-league for Norwood at half time of one of the first, if not the first, double header in 1983 (Port v Norwood and I think Woodville v Torrens)
Hondo
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am

The thing about Footy Park was that despite how crap it may have become towards the end (due to changes in spectator attitudes in the main, IMHO), it was a symbol of the league maturing and deciding to move out of home (so to speak). It stood up to the overlords of the SACA, told them them to **** off, went out on a limb to build its own stadium in a spot everyone thought was dump, and ultimately made it work and paid it off with plenty of time to spare.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Hondo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Magellan wrote:The thing about Footy Park was that despite how crap it may have become towards the end (due to changes in spectator attitudes in the main, IMHO), it was a symbol of the league maturing and deciding to move out of home (so to speak). It stood up to the overlords of the SACA, told them them to **** off, went out on a limb to build its own stadium in a spot everyone thought was dump, and ultimately made it work and paid it off with plenty of time to spare.

Yes, and the way it turned out you would have to call it a brilliant investment. I completely understand the SANFL's attachment to it for those reasons. I do however feel in the end they were too attached to it to see the reality of it's ending economic useful life and the urgent need to get footy back into the CBD. To be fair they probably didn't think a union with the SACA at AO could ever work and weren't to know that the Government would kick in $450m to make it work.

And they ended up with freehold prime real estate in West Lakes and left SA Footy with a treasure trove of great memories at Footy Park.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Captain_Bulldog » Tue May 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Adelaide Oval is great, and a lot easier to get to, but there will always be many memories from Football Park.

My least memorable memories would be the 1995/1996 Grand Finals and the first Showdown

My best memories (and I'm very fortunate to have a few!) would be all the CDFC Premierships, but 2000 was extremely special being the first. The second semi final victory a fortnight earlier was a day I'll never forget signing and celebrating our victory in the rain! 1994 semi final win over Norwood was a classic too.

My other great CDFC memory was the 2010 GF, so close and nervous but to win that was a great memory of our last flag at Footy Park.

Best AFL memories would be the Crows first ever match against Hawthorn, 1993 last round win against Collingwood and Showdown #4 as that was my first live Showdown Victory (Didn't get to the amazing Semi Final in 2005)

Mum was lucky enough to score the family a Corporate Box in 2012 so that along with being at the last Crows AFL game there was a nice send off.

I went past the stadium a few weeks ago, but unfortunately it was all locked up. Couldn't help but have a bit of a hollow feeling at how ghostly it felt!
Captain_Bulldog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 pm

My grandfather was a foundation member of FP and due to a disability he had issues with parking close enough to away grounds to see Westies play so we went to a lot of FP games as neutrals. The regular gate staff even created an unofficial disabled parking spot for him years before they became common. Even if the crowd was only 6,000 the atmosphere was OK because the original members was only the western stand and maybe a small area in front so most people would sit on the western side and before it became fully seated would also stand on the concrete terrace with the leaning bars on the western flanks and pockets similar to old English soccer grounds. I was at the infamous West Lakes SC car park bombing in 1975. West v Sturt that day. The members stand vibrated as though we were having an earthquake. The umpire blew his whistle to stop play but restarted fairly quickly when it was realised the explosion came from outside the stadium.

I saw many of the memorable games mentioned previously but my fondest memories and the best thing the SANFL did to make the experience of attending our football headquarters wonderfully unique compared to other states was turning the car park area into a fantastic green space for parking the car, grabbing some chairs and the esky out the boot and relaxing with some beers pre and post match. Some of the best days of my life were SANFL grand final days from 1984 until the mid 90's (nearly always as a neutral) heading to FP with a convoy of 10 to 15 mates spread across 4 or 5 cars, timing our arrival just after the gates were open so that we weren't forced to park too close to the stadium and often be allowed to park near the line of shrubs and small trees on the southern side of Max Basheer Res. which came in handy after the 3rd or 4th beer. Great times.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum