General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
HH3 wrote:Started watching Active Shooter on Stan last night.

Six one hour episodes covering the biggest mass shootings in the US.

I got through the first three, being Aurora, San Bernadino and Charleston.

I've already read a fair bit about all of these cases, but nothing has gone so indepth with the survivors, first responders and nurses. The Aurora one especially is pretty f**ked up.

@HH3, I imagine this series is heavy going? It certainly sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I could last 6 one hour episodes. By the end of it you must surely put your head in your hands and ask 'why does this shit continue to happen'?

I watched some more yesterday. It's actually 8 episodes.

In a lot of cases, the first responders can't help people dying on the floor, because their first priority is neutralizing the threat. This is a viewpoint you don't really hear much about. The trauma they suffer is pretty full on too.

Have also been watching this.

Watched the Columbine Episode last night.

2 things:

1- The story of Daniel Mauser struck a chord with me. For those who don't know the background- Daniel was the 2nd last to die in the massacre (shot in the library) and was a member of the Columbine HS debate team. His father, Tom, recalled Daniel speaking 2 weeks prior to the massacre about a loophole in the Brady Bill (a bill allowing firearms to be purchased without the need for background checks) which was the topic of his debate at the time. Tom brushed it off as just another piece of knowledge that Daniel had acquired, and nothing more was mentioned of it.

2 weeks later, Daniel was shot by a gun that was purchased through that very loophole :shock: :( .

2- The kids going through their training on what to do during such an event, kids even suggesting to the police officer conducting the training not to sit near windows at school so perpetrators don't have free range at you :shock:. Unbelievable.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

valleys07 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
HH3 wrote:Started watching Active Shooter on Stan last night.

Six one hour episodes covering the biggest mass shootings in the US.

I got through the first three, being Aurora, San Bernadino and Charleston.

I've already read a fair bit about all of these cases, but nothing has gone so indepth with the survivors, first responders and nurses. The Aurora one especially is pretty f**ked up.

@HH3, I imagine this series is heavy going? It certainly sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I could last 6 one hour episodes. By the end of it you must surely put your head in your hands and ask 'why does this shit continue to happen'?

I watched some more yesterday. It's actually 8 episodes.

In a lot of cases, the first responders can't help people dying on the floor, because their first priority is neutralizing the threat. This is a viewpoint you don't really hear much about. The trauma they suffer is pretty full on too.

Have also been watching this.

Watched the Columbine Episode last night.

2 things:

1- The story of Daniel Mauser struck a chord with me. For those who don't know the background- Daniel was the 2nd last to die in the massacre (shot in the library) and was a member of the Columbine HS debate team. His father, Tom, recalled Daniel speaking 2 weeks prior to the massacre about a loophole in the Brady Bill (a bill allowing firearms to be purchased without the need for background checks) which was the topic of his debate at the time. Tom brushed it off as just another piece of knowledge that Daniel had acquired, and nothing more was mentioned of it.

2 weeks later, Daniel was shot by a gun that was purchased through that very loophole :shock: :( .

2- The kids going through their training on what to do during such an event, kids even suggesting to the police officer conducting the training not to sit near windows at school so perpetrators don't have free range at you :shock:. Unbelievable.

The cop interviewed for the Charleston one really hit a nerve with me. When they told him who the guy he had to leave to die was in relation to the old lady and child. Heavy shit.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Just watched the Charleston episode. Jesus, that cop :(
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Has anyone watched The Handmaids Tale?

Yep, it’s brilliant. Very dark but one of the best shows I’ve seen recently

Just on Ep 5

Weird but captivating

Up to Ep 9
Keeping me up late
Lucky I’m on holidays
Not sure if I like it but I keep watching it anyway
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby JK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:History channel on Fox running series called "The Eighties" .. so far the eps have covered shows from the decade that made an impact, AIDS and associated movements, the Regan era, technology. Interesting reminders from childhood and also some explanations of things I recall seeing but had no real knowledge of how or why

SBS on Demand made available a similar show on the Nineties, wth each episode dedicated to a particular aspect. If its the same type of production then they’re great viewing, and an interesting walk down memory lane. I don’t have Fox so hopefully it surfaces somewhere soon.

Final episode was about the music of the 80's, and was awesome .. From the way MTV changed the industry, to Michael Jackson forcing MTV to finally give airtime to African American muso's, the luminaries that shaped the industry and culture (MJ, Freddy Mercury, Madonna, and a heap more) of the decade and beyond, the change and growth of genre's particularly from R&B to closing the decade with a grungey garage type band from Seattle that made MTV come to them.

So much happened in the 80's musically, it's easy to forget just how much .. If you can only get hold of one episode of the season (albeit all are worth watching), this was the one.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Season 8 of Shameless done and dusted, still remains my favourite show (well, behind GOT maybe). Last few seasons felt more like there was more emphasis on the dramatic, and less on the cringeworthy storylines and dark humour - This season however was a return to the earlier years and the best in ages IMHO.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

JK wrote:Season 8 of Shameless done and dusted, still remains my favourite show (well, behind GOT maybe). Last few seasons felt more like there was more emphasis on the dramatic, and less on the cringeworthy storylines and dark humour - This season however was a return to the earlier years and the best in ages IMHO.

A lot of people have canned it because it was more like the Brady Bunch than Shameless, I didnt mind it but can see where theyre coming from.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:
JK wrote:Season 8 of Shameless done and dusted, still remains my favourite show (well, behind GOT maybe). Last few seasons felt more like there was more emphasis on the dramatic, and less on the cringeworthy storylines and dark humour - This season however was a return to the earlier years and the best in ages IMHO.

A lot of people have canned it because it was more like the Brady Bunch than Shameless, I didnt mind it but can see where theyre coming from.

Haha, totally different to the Brady Bunch, wasn't even a housekeeper
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 am

With my phone plan, I get a free subscription to National Geographic, which includes both Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild live channels, and a really good selection of docos.

Currently I'm watching Inside The American Mob. Its a really in-depth doco series where some big players are interviewed. Joe Pistone aka Donnie Brasco included.

I also watched a couple of episodes of a series called Explorer. One followed a team trying to get to the top of a mountain in Myanmar, and another followed an archaeological team search for a lost city in Honduras.

Haven't touched Netflix or Stan since realising I had Nat Geo for free. Unmetered streaming too for when Im out.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I finished watching Seinfeld yesterday. I've seen it before, but the finale is definitely one of the worst endings in history.

Now started The Office (US). Only ever caught the odd episode here and there. Four episodes in Im enjoying it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Talk of Nick "the Honey Badger" Cummins being the next Batchelor after Sophie Monk doing the other one.

I'm sure he'll trot out a few lines like "sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage"
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Hazbeen wrote:Talk of Nick "the Honey Badger" Cummins being the next Batchelor after Sophie Monk doing the other one.

I'm sure he'll trot out a few lines like "sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage"

That is a good line.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 pm

"As nervous as a bag full of cats at a greyhounds meet"
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Like a midget at a urinal, he'll have to be on his toes
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:06 pm

HH3 wrote:Now started The Office (US). Only ever caught the odd episode here and there. Four episodes in Im enjoying it.

im currently rewatching the office.

as good as i remember it.

The other silly comedy im watching at the moment is peep show. Not my wife's humour so I usually save it for when i am away for work etc but its bloody funny
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I love The Office, I remember when the US version first came out I disliked it but when it developed it's own story lines and characters I loved it.
Rewatched it all again a couple of months ago. It does go a bit downhill when Michael leaves.
Funny show but still could be a tear jerker occasionally, Pam and Jim's wedding and the final episode come to mind.
There's talk of another season or movie being worked on.

I have a Dwight bobble head! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Im not up to the bit where michael leaves yet, but yes when it develops its own storyline it is great. All of the characters have their flaws but are still likeable
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm

I like how a lot of the characters like Creed, Phyliss, Kevin, Toby, Angela, Kelly, Oscar, etc were just background characters to start with who either didn't speak or rarely did to eventually become integral parts of the shows. It certainly made a few careers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Wedgie wrote:I like how a lot of the characters like Creed, Phyliss, Kevin, Toby, Angela, Kelly, Oscar, etc were just background characters to start with who either didn't speak or rarely did to eventually become integral parts of the shows. It certainly made a few careers.

Yep they have developed those characters very well.

My favourite is when you find out Kevin is actually a gun poker player and gambler
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm

I want a brother like Moes. :lol:

I'd also love a dollar for the amount of times I did a Jim look at a camera when I worked in an office even if there was no camera!
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment