BBL 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Postby Yangebup » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Go Strikers - but a mate was saying this morning that something felt weird about the Hurricanes batting.

1 for 70 after 7 overs & needing another 130 off 13 overs Hobart then went in their shells Bailey stopped swinging, & Short who belts anything hardly
gave the ball a whack to the short boundary at all & McDermott barely swung at a ball in anger.

The bowling wasn't that threatening & they treated O'Connor like he was bowling hand grenades. A district cricketer would've been giving him a decent whack - You would not have believed it was a do or die final for Hobart that's for sure.
Yangebup
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Yangebup wrote:Go Strikers - but a mate was saying this morning that something felt weird about the Hurricanes batting.

Occam's Razor. I would suspect the occasion being a BBL GF probably got to them more than anything nefarious being involved.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Yangebup wrote:Go Strikers - but a mate was saying this morning that something felt weird about the Hurricanes batting.

1 for 70 after 7 overs & needing another 130 off 13 overs Hobart then went in their shells Bailey stopped swinging, & Short who belts anything hardly
gave the ball a whack to the short boundary at all & McDermott barely swung at a ball in anger.

The bowling wasn't that threatening & they treated O'Connor like he was bowling hand grenades. A district cricketer would've been giving him a decent whack - You would not have believed it was a do or die final for Hobart that's for sure.

Gets harder after the end of the 5 over power play with numbers back on the fences
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I know Wade’s a twat but why didn’t he open instead of Paine?
Short and Wade surely was the way to go with the openers.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:52 pm

The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Most of us thought their list was terrible. But turns out their list was one of the best balanced and varied

#MoneyBall :lol:

Think watching yesterday, particularly Siddle & Laughlin the biggest thing I got was it doesn't matter the format a good Yorker is the best ball you can bowl, and good areas are good areas. No need to be creative with slower ball bounces and 100 different variety of delivery - just keep it simple, set fields and bowl to plans.

Exactly. Well said. Don't over think it.
Process, execute, drink beer!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Laughlin’s one finger slower ball that swings away is damn near unplayable when he gets it right. Well at least unscoreable
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby robranisgod » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:58 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I know Wade’s a twat but why didn’t he open instead of Paine?

For some reason they wanted a left and right handed combination. It didn't worry Adelaide having Weatherald and Head batting together.

Speaking of Wade, it was good to see Australia's two best keepers performing yesterday and Wade isn't one of them!
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Robran » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:08 pm

robranisgod wrote:

For some reason they wanted a left and right handed combination. It didn't worry Adelaide having Weatherald and Head batting together.

Speaking of Wade, it was good to see Australia's two best keepers performing yesterday and Wade isn't one of them!

Wade is just another flog he wasn't happy after his dismissal nor should he have been he prob the main reason the got there anyways. But always fun to see him have a spit.
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Robran wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Wade is just another flog he wasn't happy after his dismissal nor should he have been he prob the main reason the got there anyways. But always fun to see him have a spit.

Reminded me of his his cousin when he didnt win mark of the year, the whole family it seems are flogs
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

I'll just leave this here from December 19.

Lightning McQueen wrote:
carey wrote:Strikers have the worst list by a mile!

I agree, in saying that we'll probably win now.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am

bennymacca wrote:Laughlin’s one finger slower ball that swings away is damn near unplayable when he gets it right. Well at least unscoreable

Just about my favourite player. Just a stock standard medium pacer but has worked out ways to be effective and excel at that level. Has developed his skills and has a couple of points of difference that make him unique to face. Premiership player and off to IPL!

There's hope for all of us.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Laughlin’s one finger slower ball that swings away is damn near unplayable when he gets it right. Well at least unscoreable

Just about my favourite player. Just a stock standard medium pacer but has worked out ways to be effective and excel at that level. Has developed his skills and has a couple of points of difference that make him unique to face. Premiership player and off to IPL!

There's hope for all of us.

You can see why T20 is so appealing - Laughlin only ever played 7 first class games for an average of 60, and 39 List A games, but due to T20 he has developed into an excellent bowler at that level and now has the chance for a six figure payday
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Watching a bit of the T20 Blast up in Hong Kong on Fox today, some seriously ordinary cricketers up there, but Benny Laughlin bowling at the death 2/17 off 4 on a postage stamp!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:Watching a bit of the T20 Blast up in Hong Kong on Fox today, some seriously ordinary cricketers up there, but Benny Laughlin bowling at the death 2/17 off 4 on a postage stamp!

same

wonder how much they get paid for a random league like this. probably still get a few grand or more for a week's work
bennymacca
Coach

Postby abber » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 pm

heater31 wrote:
abber wrote:Utmost respect to Dizzy but I heard him on the radio during the week, and he said Tim Nielsen excluded himself from every discussion about a replacement Keeper for Carey. So who was Dizzy getting his Intel about replacement keepers from? Who does Dizzy report to? Would've thought it was Nielsen or Cox. Today Wayne Phillips gets on radio gushing about Harry. Give us a break. Old boys club.

Shows you have no clue. Jamie Cox was shown the door for breaching the BBL recruiting rules.

Absolutely right I cocked up mentioning Cox.

Extraordinary debut by Harry today in Sheffield Shield and hats off to him.

Still think he's been given opportunities others haven't.
abber
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 pm

abber wrote:Extraordinary debut by Harry today in Sheffield Shield and hats off to him.

Still think he's been given opportunities others haven't.

Maybe he's better than those others
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am

abber wrote:Utmost respect to Dizzy but I heard him on the radio during the week, and he said Tim Nielsen excluded himself from every discussion about a replacement Keeper for Carey. So who was Dizzy getting his Intel about replacement keepers from? Who does Dizzy report to? Would've thought it was Nielsen or Cox. Today Wayne Phillips gets on radio gushing about Harry. Give us a break. Old boys club.

I had a phone call from Nielsen a couple of months ago in regards to a concern I had raised to someone else, he was an exceptional person to talk to and certainly didn't make himself seem any more important than me, I could totally see him sitting out of the convo, pretty rare that we have two emerging players in the same boat.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:09 am

Whilst Harry Nielsen has no doubt been afforded some opportunities that other may not have received, it would be foolish to suggest he's only getting a game due to his name.

People who are better qualified than safooty.net posters identify players, and see what the regular persons may not see - a player may not be the best Grade cricketer, but have the tools to excel at first class level, and vice versa, player may be the best grade cricketer but cant cut it at first class.

A tick in the selectors box for Nielsen, and anyone who watched his innings yesterday would've seen early that he obviously has the tools and temperament to have success at first class level.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

The Bedge wrote:Whilst Harry Nielsen has no doubt been afforded some opportunities that other may not have received, it would be foolish to suggest he's only getting a game due to his name.

People who are better qualified than safooty.net posters identify players, and see what the regular persons may not see - a player may not be the best Grade cricketer, but have the tools to excel at first class level, and vice versa, player may be the best grade cricketer but cant cut it at first class.

A tick in the selectors box for Nielsen, and anyone who watched his innings yesterday would've seen early that he obviously has the tools and temperament to have success at first class level.

Seeing some of his work behind the stumps suggests he is more than apt.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am

Football loves the romance of father/son, cricket tends to mock it
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket