Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 am

Part of Valleys review of the Members Convention touched on Chris Davies and Jason Cripps talking about list management.

Davies made it clear that the scuttlebutt about Port's salary cap being at breaking point simply wasn't accurate at all.

Now, I'm sure either amber and Dutchy will come in and call bullshit, as they do, but I can either take Davies' word or not. I'll take his word for it.

Coupled with that I am sure, absolutely sure the planning has included a fair whack for our captain in waiting's long term contract.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 am

Not sure that I have ever questioned the cap at Port.

This is pure positioning from Wines, I heard an interview last week where he was positive about re-signing at Port, I suggest his manager then called him and advised he has to play hard to get in the media, hence the correction today which has maybe gone too far the other way.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Dutchy wrote:Not sure that I have ever questioned the cap at Port.

This is pure positioning from Wines, I heard an interview last week where he was positive about re-signing at Port, I suggest his manager then called him and advised he has to play hard to get in the media, hence the correction today which has maybe gone too far the other way.

He'll probably sign on the arse end of 4 cracking games, perhaps Boak is looking to return home for his final couple of years and they are holding off on that? I'm sure there's room for one more at the Kardinia Retirement Village, despite their ages they all still have plenty to offer.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

He'll probably sign on the arse end of 4 cracking games, perhaps Boak is looking to return home for his final couple of years and they are holding off on that? I'm sure there's room for one more at the Kardinia Retirement Village, despite their ages they all still have plenty to offer.

Boak's contract comes to an end this year and he'll be 30 by the time it expires, he'll sign a 2 year deal on much lesser monies and hand the baton over to Wines.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Boak's contract comes to an end this year and he'll be 30 by the time it expires, he'll sign a 2 year deal on much lesser monies and hand the baton over to Wines.

You hope.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

You hope.

Have you joined SA Best and have decided to run for Minister of the Bleeding Obvious? :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

Not necessarily, Spargo.

Of course I hope he stays, but if he chose to leave- the nature of the FA market and out of contract players means you will gain what you lose. With players such as Polec, Monfries, Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop & Watts coming to the club in recent times, it has to be expected players will leave.

The Hawks won the next 2 flags after losing the competitions best player at the time, Geelong did the same in 2011. If the systems are in place, you will challenge irrespective of personnel.

That is the level I want to see Port get to, not to the point of paying overs to keep blokes at the club that don't want to be there.

For the record, I don't see Wines as that type of character. In my opinion, he is doing his due diligence in the market to maximise his offer based on performance output.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Spargo wrote:You hope.

It wont surprise me to see him go, I wont begrudge him though, the service he has given to the Power is nothing short of brilliant when it would've been easier to head back home sooner.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am

When does he become a FA?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby MW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 pm

if he's 30 at contracts end in 2018 he'd probably be unrestricted this year
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:When does he become a FA?

He was drafted in 2012, making this his 6th year on our list, restricted free agency kicks in at 8 years if you're in the top 25% of your clubs salaries, which I would assume he is. As such he'd be asking for a trade and not be eligible for restricted free agency.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 pm

According to Footywire, Wines is entering his 6th season at the club. The AFL website suggests you have to serve 8 years with a club to be eligible for restricted Free Agency, provided said player is in the top 25% of salaries at their club.

Ollie fits that bill so he will be an RFA at the end of season 2020.

What will cause conjecture is Ollie signing a 2 year extension at the end of this year.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 pm

MW wrote:if he's 30 at contracts end in 2018 he'd probably be unrestricted this year

30?

Ollie is 23!

valleys07
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm

valleys07 wrote:
MW wrote:if he's 30 at contracts end in 2018 he'd probably be unrestricted this year

30?

Ollie is 23!

The wires have been crossed between Boak and Wines.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

valleys07 wrote:

According to Footywire, Wines is entering his 6th season at the club. The AFL website suggests you have to serve 8 years with a club to be eligible for restricted Free Agency, provided said player is in the top 25% of salaries at their club.

What will cause conjecture is Ollie signing a 2 year extension at the end of this year.

I'd day we're a 98% of him staying on a long term deal and a 2% chance he asks for a trade at the end of the year.

Also he's from Echuca, hardly a "Melbourne" boy.

Plus, Echuca to Adelaide is about 600km's. Echuca to Melbourne is about 250km's. Neither of these are important when you own and fly your own small aircraft as Wines does. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Yeah I was talking about Boak. Wines wouldn't be a free agent
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

MW wrote:Yeah I was talking about Boak. Wines wouldn't be a free agent

Wires crossed. Sorry lads.

Yes, Boak is an UFA at the end of this season.

valleys07
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm

This would be absolutely 100% what has happened.
He will also only sign for 2 years, his manager wouldnt be doing his job if he let him sign for anymore. He will be in huge demand in 2 years and have that extra bargaining power of leaving for compensation which also helps Port if he does decide to go home.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

I'd day we're a 98% of him staying on a long term deal and a 2% chance he asks for a trade at the end of the year.

Also he's from Echuca, hardly a "Melbourne" boy.

Plus, Echuca to Adelaide is about 600km's. Echuca to Melbourne is about 250km's. Neither of these are important when you own and fly your own small aircraft as Wines does. ;)

He did his lessons out at the Gawler airport.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:He did his lessons out at the Gawler airport.

Yep, Wines and Monfries. I'm pretty sure Wines has his pilots licence, I'm not sure whether Monfries completed his or not.

Wines has said a few times he hopes to follow the career path of his Uncle (?) and become a commercial airline pilot when his football career comes to an end.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL