Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:Good to hear LM. My experience with NIk's is that its very hit and miss. I've had some rather poor yiros work from them in the past (and they're not exactly cheap either). In fact I'd rather go the chicken place next door on the corner, pretty good without being awesome but at least reliable and still convenient IMO.

Yeah, I have a had a howler of an experience there too, the manager did try and butter it up too so all was well in the end.

Thanks for the tip, I've wondered about that place, must go alright to still be there considering the opposition close by.

To be honest I use the corner place more for chook/fish and chip or ABs than a yiros. In fact, their chips are the highlight. Bellezza Gourmet Chicken on Goodall Parade are also OK IIRC, but I don't go there too often.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am

Magellan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:Good to hear LM. My experience with NIk's is that its very hit and miss. I've had some rather poor yiros work from them in the past (and they're not exactly cheap either). In fact I'd rather go the chicken place next door on the corner, pretty good without being awesome but at least reliable and still convenient IMO.

Yeah, I have a had a howler of an experience there too, the manager did try and butter it up too so all was well in the end.

Thanks for the tip, I've wondered about that place, must go alright to still be there considering the opposition close by.

To be honest I use the corner place more for chook/fish and chip or ABs than a yiros. In fact, their chips are the highlight. Bellezza Gourmet Chicken on Goodall Parade are also OK IIRC, but I don't go there too often.

Have you tried the Indian joint near Niks? Great food but the portions are small compared to the price.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 am

JK wrote:IMHO the Cheeky Greek does the best Yiros, open in Mr Barker now too I believe .. Nice collect btw mate :D

Yep had one in Barker last week, nice quality yiros but lacking on the quantity for $13.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Have you tried the Indian joint near Niks? Great food but the portions are small compared to the price.

Yeah, didn't really rate it. Haven't been there in yonks, though.

Top shelf Indian at Indian Temptations on Main North Road, a bit closer to town than the Cooper's Alehouse and on the same side. Best for take-away, not really a dine-in vibe happening there. You know its good if you see Indians are buying their dinner there. Not in ML but worth the short drive.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:32 am

Magellan wrote:Yeah, didn't really rate it. Haven't been there in yonks, though.

Top shelf Indian at Indian Temptations on Main North Road, a bit closer to town than the Cooper's Alehouse and on the same side. Best for take-away, not really a dine-in vibe happening there. You know its good if you see Indians are buying their dinner there. Not in ML but worth the short drive.

Yep, agree with you there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am

Cafe Dolci on friday night.

Was probably 3/4 full and filling up.
Got in there at 5.45 and ordered immediately as we were planning on going to movies upstairs at 7.45.

Bruschetta for entree...took about 25 mins to come out. Which was a slight concern given our time restraints.
However just as we finished our entree the mains arrived....
Normally this is never ideal.
Pollo zingara and a chicken parmi.

As usual it was delicious..

2 mains + entree + 2 drinks and 2 movie tickets came to $86.

They are in the ent book, but we had used that voucher already.

Solid 7.5
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Neighbours and a friend went to Keg and Barrel at Pt Noarlunga. Most of the reviews on Facebook aren't great and unfortunately those reviews seem to be spot on.

The 2 girls would have got a bottle of bubbles and he wouldve had a few beers.....but they were never asked if they wanted drinks...

Food is overpriced. Serving sizes are ordinary. Extra charges for basic sides...
Decor is a mixed bag.

And for people who rarely eat Hungrys or Maccas they were contemplating getting some on way home....

They wont be going back.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Went to golden boy Friday night with my family for my mother’s birthday, group of 8

Had to book at either 6 or 9, so went for the earlier time slot. Even at 6 it was absolutely packed.

The table we were sitting at a high bench with stools - I didn’t mind but both my wife and sister in law are pregnant and my mum had had a hip replacement, and all of them mentioned that it was a bit uncomfortable. There were other tables that weren’t like this though so I think I would ask next time.

We got the tuk tuk menu, $58 per head

Service was great - they made sure we had no dietary requirements (my brothers gf is vegetarian so she ordered separately) and asked how spicy we liked everything. Water was always filled and drinks were mostly promptly served.

Now to the food
We had four entrees, soft shell crab, fish cakes, TBBC, and some big spring rolls type thing.

All were absolutely excellent - didn’t even feel like mains after the entrees. The pick of them were the crab and rolls.

For mains they brought out grilled tumeric chicken, and slow cooked beef short ribs, with papaya salad and steamed greens for the sides.

Both were excellent, particularly the chicken. More than enough for everyone.

For dessert they brought out roti with pandan custard and mango and sticky rice.

The roti was probably the highlight of the night, it was crispy and sweet. Sensational.

Came to I think $550 for 8 of us, which wasn’t too bad.

Probably the best food I’ve had in adelaide in the last couple of years. 9.5/10
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

If Golden Boy gets old try Baby Blue.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Wedgie wrote:If Golden Boy gets old try Baby Blue.

Where is that?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Where is that?

:lol:

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:A rare incursion from me to this thread. I’m not a big one for negatively reviewing businesses online, but I’ll make an exception on this occasion.

I’d eaten at Jamie’s Italian several years before and really enjoyed the meal. The Godfather cocktail was also a big highlight. So when we discussed booking there for NYE prior to the Strikers’ match I was looking forward to the meal, with a Godfather to finish off.

Upon booking for our group of 21, we received an email that acknowledged our booking and indicated that for groups of 12 or more the restaurant charges 10% on top of the bill. I’m unsure why they would charge you for bringing more people to their business, but I understand this is their standard policy (NYE or not).

Anyway, our booking was for 4pm, so not in the busy period. We arrived on time to be told our table was not prepared and we waited for 20 minutes before being seated. Seems ridiculous that our table was not ready this early in the night, at a time when few people are eating. Business was steady, but not busy.

Finally, we got to our table and no one came to ask if we’d like a drink to start with. It was 40 minutes after our arrival time when we were finally offered a drink. C’mon, it’s NYE and I’m catching up with some dear friends – I want a beer with the lads!
The waiter was charming, if overly familiar.

Our meals came in good time. A friend and I had the crab spaghetti – we both thought it was horrible - washed out and tasteless. Mrs DW didn’t enjoy her meal (and, like me, she isn’t one to complain lightly), another friend’s $45 steak was stringy and chewy, while another person who had a steak dish was disappointed.

To top it off, a meal was forgotten and delayed by 20 minutes –the rest of us had finished, which is always uncomfortable for that person. This person really lucked out – they were earlier told their first choice meal wasn’t available, they asked for a wine that was unavailable, they asked for a cocktail for which they were told not all the ingredients were available.

It was really disappointing, considering as a group we spent about $700 there and potentially would have spent a lot more had we seen a drinks waiter earlier and had we had an enjoyable enough meal that we wanted dessert.

I missed out on my Godfather cocktail (https://www.thespruce.com/godfather-coc ... ipe-761446) as the service was so slow that I didn’t want to order another drink prior to our departure.

Had the meal been set up as the highlight of our night, it probably would have really diminished the enjoyment of our catch-up. Luckily, the Strikers and the Elder Park fireworks were to follow.

Jamie’s doesn’t seem to answer its phone, its Facebook is poorly monitored and full of complaints, meanwhile a Tweet to Jamie’s Italian Australia (seeking a chance to provide feedback direct) has gone unanswered. Interestingly, feedback I’ve received from mates suggests our experience was not isolated. Looking through the company’s replies to Tweets and it would seem the majority of the negative comments to Jamie’s Italian are about its Adelaide restaurant. I’m clearly not alone.

It’s doubtful I’ll be back.

Well there is a reason for the poor service....... Jamie Oliver’s restaurant business racks up $125m in debt

doubt it will be around much longer.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Where is that?

:lol:

Manhattan? **** that. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Was in Adelaide on the weekend and had lunch at the Deep Blue Cafe at Moana on the esplanade. On recommendation from a friend. Checked the 1st 20 reviews of this place and nothing short of fantastic. Well it lived up to the reviews. Fantastic from the front of house gentleman to the staff to the owners. Being a Sunday was very busy. Bookings essential but a lot of walk ins were taken care of. My table of 3 had our drinks order taken not long after we were shown to our table. On arrival of our drinks we ordered our food. Decided to have the deep blue platter consisting of seafood and meat for 3. $35 a head. Platter consisted of garfish, skewered prawns, salt and pepper squid lamb skewers, marinated chicken tenderloins, chorizo, artichokes roasted capsicums, kalamato olives, haloumi cheese, feta cheese, dips, pita bread and garlic bread. Ordered a large green salad to accompany. Drinks consisting of 2 little creatures beer 2 Bunderberg ginger beers and a lemon lime and bitters came to $31. Salad for 3 $15. Platter for 3 $115. Total $161. The platter was like an entree and main course all in one. The pizzas looked amazing. If you cant eat it all doggy bags are provided as there were many tables not getting through there meals. Generous servings. HIGHLY recommend. 9/10.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Yeah they do a nice brekky as well
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:Was in Adelaide on the weekend and had lunch at the Deep Blue Cafe at Moana on the esplanade. On recommendation from a friend. Checked the 1st 20 reviews of this place and nothing short of fantastic. Well it lived up to the reviews. Fantastic from the front of house gentleman to the staff to the owners. Being a Sunday was very busy. Bookings essential but a lot of walk ins were taken care of. My table of 3 had our drinks order taken not long after we were shown to our table. On arrival of our drinks we ordered our food. Decided to have the deep blue platter consisting of seafood and meat for 3. $35 a head. Platter consisted of garfish, skewered prawns, salt and pepper squid lamb skewers, marinated chicken tenderloins, chorizo, artichokes roasted capsicums, kalamato olives, haloumi cheese, feta cheese, dips, pita bread and garlic bread. Ordered a large green salad to accompany. Drinks consisting of 2 little creatures beer 2 Bunderberg ginger beers and a lemon lime and bitters came to $31. Salad for 3 $15. Platter for 3 $115. Total $161. The platter was like an entree and main course all in one. The pizzas looked amazing. If you cant eat it all doggy bags are provided as there were many tables not getting through there meals. Generous servings. HIGHLY recommend. 9/10.

Yep one of my go to places for Brekky down south and always do a superb job, haven't tried them for dinner so will have to give it a crack!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:Was in Adelaide on the weekend and had lunch at the Deep Blue Cafe at Moana on the esplanade. On recommendation from a friend. Checked the 1st 20 reviews of this place and nothing short of fantastic. Well it lived up to the reviews. Fantastic from the front of house gentleman to the staff to the owners. Being a Sunday was very busy. Bookings essential but a lot of walk ins were taken care of. My table of 3 had our drinks order taken not long after we were shown to our table. On arrival of our drinks we ordered our food. Decided to have the deep blue platter consisting of seafood and meat for 3. $35 a head. Platter consisted of garfish, skewered prawns, salt and pepper squid lamb skewers, marinated chicken tenderloins, chorizo, artichokes roasted capsicums, kalamato olives, haloumi cheese, feta cheese, dips, pita bread and garlic bread. Ordered a large green salad to accompany. Drinks consisting of 2 little creatures beer 2 Bunderberg ginger beers and a lemon lime and bitters came to $31. Salad for 3 $15. Platter for 3 $115. Total $161. The platter was like an entree and main course all in one. The pizzas looked amazing. If you cant eat it all doggy bags are provided as there were many tables not getting through there meals. Generous servings. HIGHLY recommend. 9/10.

I see it but I don't believe it! :shock:

Welcome back old friend ;)

Don't wait another 3 years to post now, will you ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Must be a password close to your heart. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Kahuna » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 am

magpie in the 80's wrote:Was in Adelaide on the weekend .......

Welcome back, how about doing us a quiz for old times sake?!
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 am

If anyone tries this, please give me feedback! $40 Valentines special at the Burek Lounge.
Attachments
Burek.jpg
Burek.jpg (143.01 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion