AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby MW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

The game will get better when they start drafting footballers, not athletes from other codes to be a footballer.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 am

MW wrote:The game will get better when they start drafting footballers, not athletes from other codes to be a footballer.

Yeah, I get a bit tired hearing "Blah blah had to choose between football and hockey etc" No she didn't, she plays footy for 8 weeks and gets paid handsomely for it despite being a hockey player.

I wouldn't have allowed as many licences just yet, having said that, there are a lot of good players at SANFL that didn't get an AFLW gig, it baffles me slightly, Brittany Perry is as good as at least half that are running around.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am

Standard isn't going to get any better while they continue to expand and bring new clubs in quicker than the talent improves.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

MW wrote:The game will get better when they start drafting footballers, not athletes from other codes to be a footballer.

Don’t agree, the men’s AFL do that all the time too.

How many times have you heard that Jenkins or Pendlebury were good basketballers back in their day?

Especially at the lower general skill level, the athletes from other codes are going to perform much better than good footballers - Erin Phillips is a good example.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:

How many times have you heard that Jenkins or Pendlebury were good basketballers back in their day?

Especially at the lower general skill level, the athletes from other codes are going to perform much better than good footballers - Erin Phillips is a good example.

Agree, Brogan (NBL championship and Premiership Player), Jenkins, Pendlebury, Blicvas, Hunt and Foulu (haha).
Go the other way........and you have Alex Carey :-)
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:

And only 50% of them can play footy too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

AFLW are not drafting players who can play many sports, they are drafting players who never played football before but are elite at other sports. Big difference.
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Erin Phillips is an elite footballer in her own right outside of being an elite basketballer.
MW
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote: There are a lot of good players at SANFL that didn't get an AFLW gig, it baffles me slightly, Brittany Perry is as good as at least half that are running around.

Knowing the family as well as I do, I can tell you it baffles them as well.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 pm

I've been a defender of the standard saying patience is the key but the Carlton v GWS game made my eyes bleed. Next time it starts raining I'll be changing the channel.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote: There are a lot of good players at SANFL that didn't get an AFLW gig, it baffles me slightly, Brittany Perry is as good as at least half that are running around.

Knowing the family as well as I do, I can tell you it baffles them as well.

I have a few out at PAWFC who can kick the footy as well not better than some guys i have seen. If they have a good year there is no reason why they wont get at least SANFLW or higher. One has a beautiful kick and takes the footy at the highest point when marking the footy.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 am

We are in the midst of a new era. An era of equality and diversity in the AFL. Some may agree with the inclusion of women in the AFL and talk about whether or not the level of skill is adequate enough to win ratings. I'll be honest to say that I haven't watched anymore than 10 minutes of a woman's game as it doesn't really get my attention ( when it comes to the standard of the game) than it does with the men's game. But with everything that is going on in the world. Everything is about giving everyone a go.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:We are in the midst of a new era. An era of equality and diversity in the AFL. Some may agree with the inclusion of women in the AFL and talk about whether or not the level of skill is adequate enough to win ratings. I'll be honest to say that I haven't watched anymore than 10 minutes of a woman's game as it doesn't really get my attention ( when it comes to the standard of the game) than it does with the men's game. But with everything that is going on in the world. Everything is about giving everyone a go.

I'd prefer women's footy to be exclusive to women only though, I was horrified at the decision yesterday and even more so when I heard him speak on the radio this morning.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:We are in the midst of a new era. An era of equality and diversity in the AFL. Some may agree with the inclusion of women in the AFL and talk about whether or not the level of skill is adequate enough to win ratings. I'll be honest to say that I haven't watched anymore than 10 minutes of a woman's game as it doesn't really get my attention ( when it comes to the standard of the game) than it does with the men's game. But with everything that is going on in the world. Everything is about giving everyone a go.

I'd prefer women's footy to be exclusive to women only though, I was horrified at the decision yesterday and even more so when I heard him speak on the radio this morning.

My statement above was a mixture of truth and sarcasm. I think the AFL is trying way too hard to make every body happy. I'm all for women playing in their own league. And it doesn't bother me if the women playing are straight or gay. What bother's me with all this equality and acceptance crap. Is that people can say they want to be recognized as something and expect major organisations (in this case the AFL) to be accommodating to their needs. Which is total shite. What ever his name is. He needs to go back to the Ammo's and play his footy with the men as that is what he is. The world is way too accommodating to political correctness for the sake of all these conservative groups who cry at the sound of in-equality.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

so you reckon its more about the AFL caving to the equality movement and not at all about the dollar signs they see by having more airtime devoted to footy in a traditionally dead time of year?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Absolutely the AFL has caved to political correctness, but then it hasn't.

They've basically gone half pregnant, you can play women's footy but not in the AFLW competition. In essence, shut up, we've let you play but not with us.

Whilst I am and was all for SSM, the fact the AFL went "YES" for a day shows they're constantly worried about not alienating minority groups.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Is post op?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:Absolutely the AFL has caved to political correctness, but then it hasn't.

They've basically gone half pregnant, you can play women's footy but not in the AFLW competition. In essence, shut up, we've let you play but not with us.

Whilst I am and was all for SSM, the fact the AFL went "YES" for a day shows they're constantly worried about not alienating minority groups.

It's just a really bad situation we are all in. We have to watch what we say. How we say anything about anyone. We have to refer to people in new gender abiding terms as not to offend anyone. I say that is absolute crap. If you're born with a penis then you are a male. If you are born with a vagina, then you are a female. None of this X,F,G,R,E,T GENDER crap. And for the AFL to contribute to the issue by coming out in support of "YES". They have opened the door for any future backlash if they aren't seen as supporting anyone from any gender wanting to play in the AFL system.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:Absolutely the AFL has caved to political correctness, but then it hasn't.

I think it was safeguarding themselves so Hannah can't be a late inclusion to the AFLW this season.

They will probably sit back and monitor the backlash from this decision before going all in next season, they've backed themselves into a corner on this one I feel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Is post op?

I'm not sure what bits are still about but is 6"3, 100kg's with an Adam's apple, was playing handball at Olympic level for Australia in 2015.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL