The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

by bennymacca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Gozu wrote: Who knows? Who cares?

i think its pretty clear what you get with Xenophon - you are speaking as if he is a complete unknown and hasnt been in politics for a decade

whether you like it or not is a separate matter

bulldogproud wrote:I lost respect for Nick a few years ago when I told him how I thought we could best reduce problem pokie gambling. I told him that if we were to reduce the machines down to 5 lines at a time (rather than the 40 or 50 that some have now), get rid of the 'Free Games' features and make all machines 1c only machines,, that would greatly reduce the amount of time people spent on machines. His response to me was 'oh, but that would greatly reduce govt revenue... can't have that'. I told him I thought that was the whole point!!
Unfortunately, Nick is all huff and no puff... he never really wanted to see problem gambling reduced, and yet this was the cause he was first elected for!

his whole policy stance for years has been reducing maximum bets - so no idea what you are on about there
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by Booney » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Gozu wrote: Who knows? Who cares?

i think its pretty clear what you get with Xenophon - you are speaking as if he is a complete unknown and hasnt been in politics for a decade

whether you like it or not is a separate matter

bulldogproud wrote:I lost respect for Nick a few years ago when I told him how I thought we could best reduce problem pokie gambling. I told him that if we were to reduce the machines down to 5 lines at a time (rather than the 40 or 50 that some have now), get rid of the 'Free Games' features and make all machines 1c only machines,, that would greatly reduce the amount of time people spent on machines. His response to me was 'oh, but that would greatly reduce govt revenue... can't have that'. I told him I thought that was the whole point!!
Unfortunately, Nick is all huff and no puff... he never really wanted to see problem gambling reduced, and yet this was the cause he was first elected for!

his whole policy stance for years has been reducing maximum bets - so no idea what you are on about there

BDP is talking about reducing maximum bets.

At the moment you can bet up to $5 per spin. BPD is proposing 5c maximum spins.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

by bulldogproud » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm

He is totally against the idea of removing 'free games' from machines. Take it from me, a problem gambler tends to stay on machines to get the 'free games feature' up. Nick doesn't want anything done to that. He is also against having the number of lines reduced on machines. All he wants is to have bets limited below $5 a go. Take it from me, very few problem gamblers play $5 a go. Those who are addicted tend to play, for instance, 50 lines at 1 cent per line. However, they stay there for hour after hour after hour. These are the ones who really need help. In their eyes, addicts can't afford to spend $5 a spin but will get rid of a lot more over many, many, many spins.
Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

by bennymacca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

its on his website that he wants to reduce maximum bets to $1 and $120 an hour.

Targeted gambling reform is required. We have the world’s highest per capita gambling losses and level of problem gambling. Our governments are totally out-of-touch with the overwhelming community desire to rein in the damage caused.

Examples of what needs to be done:

With pokies being the biggest cause of problem gambling, the immediate implementation of the Productivity Commission’s recommendation for $1 maximum bets per spin and $120 in hourly losses (compared to $10 per spin and $1200 an hour) is required
Challenge the major parties to conduct a referendum on implementing $1 maximum bet reforms.
Ensure the Productivity Commission regularly updates its gambling research
End micro-betting on sports events, which can lead to corruption and match fixing in sports
Remove ATMs from venues with poker machines
Reinstate ban on EFTPOS access in SA poker machine rooms
Overhaul outdated online gambling laws, to take into account the impact of emerging technologies
End sports betting ads during games
The Commonwealth needs to develop an approach to wean state governments off their $5billion a year of gambling taxes
bennymacca
Coach

by bulldogproud » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:its on his website that he wants to reduce maximum bets to $1 and $120 an hour.

Targeted gambling reform is required. We have the world’s highest per capita gambling losses and level of problem gambling. Our governments are totally out-of-touch with the overwhelming community desire to rein in the damage caused.

With pokies being the biggest cause of problem gambling, the immediate implementation of the Productivity Commission’s recommendation for $1 maximum bets per spin and $120 in hourly losses (compared to $10 per spin and $1200 an hour) is required
Challenge the major parties to conduct a referendum on implementing $1 maximum bet reforms.
End micro-betting on sports events, which can lead to corruption and match fixing in sports
Overhaul outdated online gambling laws, to take into account the impact of emerging technologies
The Commonwealth needs to develop an approach to wean state governments off their $5billion a year of gambling taxes

Those measures will only do a little though to target the addicts though. They will sit at a machine for hour after hour after hour. Limiting losses to $120 an hour will still see them go through many hundreds of dollars a session.
Also, most addicts will play 50 lines on a 1 cent machine at a time (thus, already being below the $1 bet level).
Removing ATMs will just mean that the addict will drive his car from one pub to the next, visiting an ATM along the way. Similarly, the EFTPOS proposal won't do much at all to addicts either.
The best solution, one which Nick won't listen to as he doesn't want to see govt revenue from pokie machines drop by much is to get rid of the 'Free Games' Feature and limit the lines to a maximum of 5. This will have the most impact on those who play machines for hour after hour after hour. These are the ones with the mental health issues, the ones who really need the help.
Cheers,
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Gozu wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Nick X taking defamation action against Marshall

He accused Xenophon of having integrity?

From my perspective as an friend to some former ALP state pollies I went to school with, a member of the Liberal Party, and an old acquaintance of Nick X, I get the impression that only major party total loyalists (or those of minor parties jealous of his capacity to attract middle ground support) want to attack Nick X.

I could understand you having that perspective, he's a former Lib after all. Speaking as someone who isn't a member of a major party (or minor party for that matter) I've always thought of Xenophon as low hanging fruit really an ambulance chaser and rank populist who is a bit of a political weather vane.

He's certainly an interesting phenomenon in regards to brand management I'll give him that. Even my elderly father is threatening to vote for him despite being a lifelong Labor voter. What are you voting for? Who knows? Who cares? But somehow he's convinced a lot of people he's not one of 'them' and that's good enough. Vote for a politician who isn't a 'politician'? He's as cunning as a shithouse rat.

**** me. I'm racking my brain to think whether this is the first time I've ever agreed with you
Well, other than about the Human Centipede
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

by bennymacca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
bennymacca wrote:its on his website that he wants to reduce maximum bets to $1 and $120 an hour.

Those measures will only do a little though to target the addicts though. They will sit at a machine for hour after hour after hour. Limiting losses to $120 an hour will still see them go through many hundreds of dollars a session.
Also, most addicts will play 50 lines on a 1 cent machine at a time (thus, already being below the $1 bet level).
Removing ATMs will just mean that the addict will drive his car from one pub to the next, visiting an ATM along the way. Similarly, the EFTPOS proposal won't do much at all to addicts either.
The best solution, one which Nick won't listen to as he doesn't want to see govt revenue from pokie machines drop by much is to get rid of the 'Free Games' Feature and limit the lines to a maximum of 5. This will have the most impact on those who play machines for hour after hour after hour. These are the ones with the mental health issues, the ones who really need the help.
Cheers,

Im not arguing that this method may also work - just with your original assertion that he never really wanted to ban or reduce pokies, which is clearly not true. Whether or not he agreed with your method for doing so is a different argument
bennymacca
Coach

by cracka » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Gozu wrote:What are you voting for? Who knows? Who cares?

That's the most worrying part of that equation.

Well, the worrying part is people voting X just because he's not ALP or Lib, that's it.

Same with people continually voting for Libs or Labor just because they are Libs & Labor.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

by bulldogproud » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers,

Im not arguing that this method may also work - just with your original assertion that he never really wanted to ban or reduce pokies, which is clearly not true. Whether or not he agreed with your method for doing so is a different argument

Nick has said that his number one reason for going into politics was to assist 'problem gamblers'. Where I have a problem with Nick is that he has never ever suggested any policy that will really help these 'problem gamblers' or 'addicts' significantly.

The true 'problem gambler' is not a person who will bet $5 on one roll. Rather, they will play maximum lines on a lower-value machine (1c or 2c). Their goal for playing the machines is not so much to win money (as, deep down, addicts know that that is not going to happen), but to enjoy the 'psychological or sensory benefits' that come from the machine (the so-called bells and whistles). Will Nick's proposals have much impact on these? Let's have a look:

1. Reducing the amount that can be wagered on a single bet to $1. Impact: Nil
Pretty much all problem gamblers already wager under that amount. They will play the maximum amount of lines (commonly 50 on a lower value machine). This would equate to either 50c a wager or $1.00 a wager.

2. Removing ATMs from Pokie premises. Impact: At best, very limited.
A 'problem gambler' can walk into a pokie room with, say, $300 and still blow the lot without needing an ATM. This amount would give them quite a few hours play on low-value machines. The problem is that they will do this three or four times a week. Four times a week still equates to a loss of $62,400 a year!!
Also, if they want to lose more, they can easily go to an ATM outside the venue (pretty much one on every street corner nowadays).

3. Banning EFTPOS facilities: Same as (2), very limited impact.

4. Reducing the amount that can be lost per hour to $120. Impact: Marginal at best
Losing $120 an hour can still equate to the $300 a night very easily. Additionally, on the low-value machine, it is VERY hard to lose $120 an hour. Remember, this is LOSSES per hour, not wagers per hour.

5. Reducing the number of pokies per venue. Impact: Very little
Pokie machine venues are rarely completely full. Additionally, if one is, just travel 1km to the next venue. The size of reduction Nick is interested in would have very little impact.

Now, what does motivate 'problem gamblers'? It is a bit like 'Pavlov's Dog'. The constant reinforcement of what pokie machine players see as small 'wins' (which are actually still losses), accompanied by the music and images that tell them they are a winner act as 'stimuli' just like the bell that motivated Pavlov's dog. They will be motivated by these occurrences and their key aim is to spin up the 'free games' or 'feature'.

How do we reduce the 'Pavlov's Dog' effect? Reduce the stimuli.
Firstly, get rid of the major stimuli that keeps pokie players at the machine hour after hour: the 'free games' or 'feature'.
Secondly, greatly reduce the 'constant positive reinforcement stimuli' of the 'wins'. It goes without saying that if you reduce the number of lines from 50 down to 5 that the stimuli will only occur one-tenth as often. This lack of stimuli will 'bore' the players, taking their motivation away.

Nick has never really seemed to be interested in reducing the attraction for 'problem gamblers' and, yet, this was what he stated was his motivation for going into parliament. He, in fact, told me that my proposed measures would have 'TOO STRONG' an impact on problem gamblers and reduce hotel revenue and government taxation. He does not want to see this happen. Surely, though, this goes 100% against his stated reason for being in politics??? Is he really wanting to reduce 'problem gambling' or is he just using the issue to further his own cause?

I will let you be the judge of that.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by tipper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Nick has said that his number one reason for going into politics was to assist 'problem gamblers'. Where I have a problem with Nick is that he has never ever suggested any policy that will really help these 'problem gamblers' or 'addicts' significantly.

The true 'problem gambler' is not a person who will bet $5 on one roll. Rather, they will play maximum lines on a lower-value machine (1c or 2c). Their goal for playing the machines is not so much to win money (as, deep down, addicts know that that is not going to happen), but to enjoy the 'psychological or sensory benefits' that come from the machine (the so-called bells and whistles). Will Nick's proposals have much impact on these? Let's have a look:

1. Reducing the amount that can be wagered on a single bet to $1. Impact: Nil
Pretty much all problem gamblers already wager under that amount. They will play the maximum amount of lines (commonly 50 on a lower value machine). This would equate to either 50c a wager or $1.00 a wager.

2. Removing ATMs from Pokie premises. Impact: At best, very limited.
A 'problem gambler' can walk into a pokie room with, say, $300 and still blow the lot without needing an ATM. This amount would give them quite a few hours play on low-value machines. The problem is that they will do this three or four times a week. Four times a week still equates to a loss of $62,400 a year!!
Also, if they want to lose more, they can easily go to an ATM outside the venue (pretty much one on every street corner nowadays).

3. Banning EFTPOS facilities: Same as (2), very limited impact.

4. Reducing the amount that can be lost per hour to $120. Impact: Marginal at best
Losing $120 an hour can still equate to the $300 a night very easily. Additionally, on the low-value machine, it is VERY hard to lose $120 an hour. Remember, this is LOSSES per hour, not wagers per hour.

5. Reducing the number of pokies per venue. Impact: Very little
Pokie machine venues are rarely completely full. Additionally, if one is, just travel 1km to the next venue. The size of reduction Nick is interested in would have very little impact.

Now, what does motivate 'problem gamblers'? It is a bit like 'Pavlov's Dog'. The constant reinforcement of what pokie machine players see as small 'wins' (which are actually still losses), accompanied by the music and images that tell them they are a winner act as 'stimuli' just like the bell that motivated Pavlov's dog. They will be motivated by these occurrences and their key aim is to spin up the 'free games' or 'feature'.

Firstly, get rid of the major stimuli that keeps pokie players at the machine hour after hour: the 'free games' or 'feature'.
Secondly, greatly reduce the 'constant positive reinforcement stimuli' of the 'wins'. It goes without saying that if you reduce the number of lines from 50 down to 5 that the stimuli will only occur one-tenth as often. This lack of stimuli will 'bore' the players, taking their motivation away.

Nick has never really seemed to be interested in reducing the attraction for 'problem gamblers' and, yet, this was what he stated was his motivation for going into parliament. He, in fact, told me that my proposed measures would have 'TOO STRONG' an impact on problem gamblers and reduce hotel revenue and government taxation. He does not want to see this happen. Surely, though, this goes 100% against his stated reason for being in politics??? Is he really wanting to reduce 'problem gambling' or is he just using the issue to further his own cause?

I will let you be the judge of that.

Cheers

exactly this.

in short, he is no different to any other politition, he wants to be seen to be doing something, without doing anything that will cost the government money, or more importantly, cost him votes
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

by Psyber » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am

There is no doubt Nick X has mutated into a politician from his early start when, as a working Barrister, he had tried to run a campaign for people who had received lump sum compensation payments and were being kept drunk on free booze and pointed at the pokies by certain hotels until they were skinned. I had back then referred several patients to him over those issues. Clearly he has learned it is futile and that the process is too entrenched to be stopped.

What he has mutated into is an alternative to the two major parties, which have disappointed many voters, and an alternative not as far to the unrealistic left as the Greens.

I agree with "bulldogproud" here:
(Random Interval Reinforcement is an extremely potent conditioning process.)

EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

by bennymacca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 am

my opinion is that as adults we should be allowed to play pokies if we so choose. i personally have no interest in them, but there are plenty of people that play them that arent addicted.

what i do think needs to be strengthened is the mechanisms by which people can get help if they are having issues.

a simple and effective measure would have been the pre-set limits that gillard, wilkie and xenophon tried to push through. This would have given people the freedom to play if they wanted to, and the ability to set limits for themselves.

and you can see why the pubs and clubs so vehemently opposed it, they knew this would cut most of the revenue they made.

I also have a problem with how widespread they are. in most other countries in the world, our pubs would be categorised as casinos.

i would rather they are confined to casinos.
bennymacca
Coach

by bulldogproud » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am

bennymacca wrote:my opinion is that as adults we should be allowed to play pokies if we so choose. i personally have no interest in them, but there are plenty of people that play them that arent addicted.

what i do think needs to be strengthened is the mechanisms by which people can get help if they are having issues.

a simple and effective measure would have been the pre-set limits that gillard, wilkie and xenophon tried to push through. This would have given people the freedom to play if they wanted to, and the ability to set limits for themselves.

and you can see why the pubs and clubs so vehemently opposed it, they knew this would cut most of the revenue they made.

I also have a problem with how widespread they are. in most other countries in the world, our pubs would be categorised as casinos.

i would rather they are confined to casinos.

Agreed, although I would have been happy to see them in sporting and community clubs as well, just not hotels where the revenue gained is for private, not community, purposes.
My suggestions given above still enable people to play the pokies, just to not so easily get addicted to them.
The problem with pre-set limits is that they are just for individual machines (or, at their broadest) for individual venues. There is nothing to stop a player from changing machines and/or venues, meaning that the impact can be just as much on the 'problem gambler'.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by bennymacca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

Changing venues still gives that player a circuit breaker that staying at the same venue doesn’t.
bennymacca
Coach

by bulldogproud » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:52 am

bennymacca wrote:Changing venues still gives that player a circuit breaker that staying at the same venue doesn’t.

True, which could give the standard player of pokies a chance to think about what they are doing. It is less likely to have an impact on the 'problem gambler' or 'addict' though.
It would at least be a step in the right direction though.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

Interesting reading BP
I have never used them and don't understand why people do
Good insight
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

by Magellan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Interesting reading BP
Good insight

Yes, very much so. Cheers BP.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

by bulldogproud » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am

Good insight

Sadly, I have an addictive nature and one of these addictions has been to these pokies. The one good thing about it is that it has enabled me to personally see what attracts 'problem gamblers' to these machines.
I wish my addictions were to healthy things such as the gym *grins*
Thankfully, though, my key addiction is now to reading .... read 117 books last year. Oh, and definitely addicted to the Central District Football Club and the West Torrens Cricket Club *grins*
Thanks and cheers.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

by mickey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Good insight

Sadly, I have an addictive nature and one of these addictions has been to these pokies. The one good thing about it is that it has enabled me to personally see what attracts 'problem gamblers' to these machines.
I wish my addictions were to healthy things such as the gym *grins*
Thankfully, though, my key addiction is now to reading .... read 117 books last year. Oh, and definitely addicted to the Central District Football Club and the West Torrens Cricket Club *grins*
Thanks and cheers.
Definitely need to seek help with those last 2 you mentioned!

Out of curiosity, what is it about the pokies that got you hooked? The flashing lights and sounds that's usually mentioned, ease of access, a big win early? Don't have to answer if you don't want to
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

by bulldogproud » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm

mickey wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Good insight

I wish my addictions were to healthy things such as the gym *grins*'re
Thanks and cheers.
Definitely need to seek help with those last 2 you mentioned!

Out of curiosity, what is it about the pokies that got you hooked? The flashing lights and sounds that's usually mentioned, ease of access, a big win early? Don't have to answer if you don't want to

I have constantly been troubled by lack of self-confidence, anxiety and depression throughout my life. I think I have always had a need to be told that I am 'loveable'. I think the constant 'positive reinforcements' I receive from the machines are the key to my addiction. This is why I believe that we need to really work on eliminating these from machines. I know many addicts who are extremely similar to me in their motivation - the 'free games' etc.

I would also add that the images on the screen do also have an impact. Poker machine manufacturers sure know how to design machines to 'suck us problem gamblers in'.

I know that it is not the thought of winning and getting rich that influences me. I sort of wish that you could pay, say, $50 to play the machines for two hours as games, with no wins actually being 'real'.

I also know that I tend to blow a lot more when I am depressed or over-tired.

Tried to wean myself off the terrible addictions of Centrals and WTDCC for years but nothing works *grins*

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics