Save the Tigers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Save the Tigers

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am

Dutchy wrote:They are learning form Port to hide the truth of your financial position

The truth comes at a cost.... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:They are learning form Port to hide the truth of your financial position

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Pseudo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 am

scott wrote:22 games over 23 weeks would be fantastic with a mid-season bye, but can't help but feel the 18 games is here to stay for financial reasons.

More than financial reasons. With a ten team competition, 18 games means that each team plays the others exactly twice. This irons out any advantage/penalty incurred by one team having to play better-resourced teams of professionals more/less than the other teams. One more reason to kick out the eastern-league rubbish; it removes constraints on the fixturing.

Of course if the sovereign clubs were canny, they'd see four extra games a season as a chance to make money, not spend it...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby am Bays » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am

Booney wrote:

The notes provided with the financial report show a starker reality compared to the above quoted media report.

We are well and truly still stuck between a rock and a hard place but with the profit and paying down of some of our loans the pressure has been relieved slightly.

Still a way to go yet.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:BY ANDREW CAPEL

GLENELG Football Club — on its knees and fighting for its SANFL survival two years ago — has taken a major step towards securing its financial future by recording a massive operating profit for 2017.

The Tigers’ surplus of $681,739 smashed their 2016 profit of $14,278.

Prior to that Glenelg had endured four consecutive operating losses totalling more than $1 million.

The result is a tremendous boost to the club, which in 2016 launched a debt demolition campaign, titled “Save The Tigers’’, after revealing it was $3.4 million in debt.

Much of this was due to borrowing $2.4 million from the council in 2002 to build a function centre at its Brighton Road headquarters.

Members and supporters rallied behind the stricken club and last year the Tigers — in the SANFL since 1921 — struck a significant deal with Holdfast Bay Council to have some of the interest on its council loan written off or waived with plans to turn the ground into a major sporting and community hub.

This included knocking down the H.Y. Sparks grandstand, which had its roof blown off in a storm in December, 2016, and having a grass mound with seating on the western side of the ground.

This is due for completion next month.

As part of a financial restructuring at Glenelg, 50 per cent of the function centre floor space has been leased to the ACH Group.

President Nick Chigwidden hailed the Tigers’ strong financial result but warned there was still plenty of hard work ahead for the club, putting the extraordinary financial turnaround down to some one-off payments.

These included an interest saving of $188,685 from council, a $163,025 payroll tax refund and $412,000 from the SANFL Land Investment Fund while the club reduced its expenditure by $166,650.

“From where the club has been this is an outstanding result,’’ Chigwidden said.

“In 12 months we have been able to reduce our liabilities a lot, whether it’s loans to council, the bank or our trading creditors, to get back to a very manageable stage where we can now run the business strategically more than reactionary.

“However we understand that without the continued support of the council and the one-off payments the long term sustainability of the club would be jeopardised so we have to continue to work diligently in all areas of the club to make sure we continue to move forward.’’

So a near $60k loss then if you take out the 3 extra-ordinary one off payments. Don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but that would make them about $75k worse off than the previous year.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 am

JK wrote:Those one off payments total about $80k more than the recorded profit so looks tough to repeat. Also, how'd they manage the Payroll Tax refund?

Regardless, excellent news, need the Bays (like all clubs) to hang around and be healthy.

I thought that. Not sure what the payroll tax is in Aust but here Employer Tax (that’s the only tax the club could get a refund on, not any tax paid by the players), is around 14%. To get a refund of $166k would mean they must have overstated wages by $1.18m :shock: :?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby JK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
JK wrote:Those one off payments total about $80k more than the recorded profit so looks tough to repeat. Also, how'd they manage the Payroll Tax refund?

Regardless, excellent news, need the Bays (like all clubs) to hang around and be healthy.

I thought that. Not sure what the payroll tax is in Aust but here Employer Tax (that’s the only tax the club could get a refund on, not any tax paid by the players), is around 14%. To get a refund of $166k would mean they must have overstated wages by $1.18m :shock: :?

%4.25 on anything over $50k I believe mate, but don't hold me too it. Feel dirty even discussing the most ludicrous tax there is.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm

johntheclaret wrote:

I would have thought GFC was NFP so exempt
https://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/taxes-a ... exemptions
I'm going to ask someone who would know
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Probably not a 'non-profit organisations having as their sole or dominant purpose a charitable purpose.'

Then again, North Adelaide probably fits the bill as we've been donating victories to other clubs for ages in a seemingly charitable way. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Magellan wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Probably not a 'non-profit organisations having as their sole or dominant purpose a charitable purpose.'

Then again, North Adelaide probably fits the bill as we've been donating victories to other clubs for ages in a seemingly charitable way. ;)

Well, I can see any tax provision (whether positive or negative) in the accounts other than gaming tax which is applicable

I'll find out tomorrow
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Pseudo wrote:
scott wrote:22 games over 23 weeks would be fantastic with a mid-season bye, but can't help but feel the 18 games is here to stay for financial reasons.

More than financial reasons. With a ten team competition, 18 games means that each team plays the others exactly twice. This irons out any advantage/penalty incurred by one team having to play better-resourced teams of professionals more/less than the other teams. One more reason to kick out the eastern-league rubbish; it removes constraints on the fixturing.

Of course if the sovereign clubs were canny, they'd see four extra games a season as a chance to make money, not spend it...

Does not iron out playing an afl team when they may or may not be strong or weaker because on injuries. Only way to stop this is to have a ceiling on the number afl contracted players (Usually being paid individually more than the total salary cap of a true sanfl club)
But of course the sanfl IS TOO FENIN WEAK to do ANYTHING like that. WAFL have had the guts to do it , take note
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL