Trinity OS
5%
West Croydon
22%

Total votes : 95

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 6 - 2018

Postby morell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:35 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:Adelaide Lutheran exploiting some curious recruitment techniques, messaging a bunch of MPFC players out of the blue on Facebook.

What's so curious about that?
You'd message someone you've never met, has no connection to the club whatsoever, randomly in an attempt to recruit them?

What's the likely success rate of that? Just makes you silly IMO.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:44 pm

morell wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:Adelaide Lutheran exploiting some curious recruitment techniques, messaging a bunch of MPFC players out of the blue on Facebook.

You'd message someone you've never met, has no connection to the club whatsoever, randomly in an attempt to recruit them?

Absolutely I would and I have - better than sitting on my hands waiting for players to come flocking to my club off their own back. Granted I generally have a connection with most people I contact, but if I come across players that I believe would be a valuable asset, i'll have no hesitation making contact with them.

Success rate? Slightly better than waiting for my own phone to ring from interested players.
Makes me silly? Meh, water off a ducks back, if i snag a couple of quality players out of it it's a win, if not, no harm done.. worst case it's a nice little ego stroke for the player getting contacted unknowingly, and the connection is made - wont be such a shock the following year..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:44 pm

morell wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

The Barney Stinson.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Absolutely I would and I have - better than sitting on my hands waiting for players to come flocking to my club off their own back. Granted I generally have a connection with most people I contact, but if I come across players that I believe would be a valuable asset, i'll have no hesitation making contact with them.

Success rate? Slightly better than waiting for my own phone to ring from interested players.
Makes me silly? Meh, water off a ducks back, if i snag a couple of quality players out of it it's a win, if not, no harm done.. worst case it's a nice little ego stroke for the player getting contacted unknowingly, and the connection is made - wont be such a shock the following year..
Such is modern amateur footy, I suppose.

Just another reason why I'm nearly done with it.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm

morell wrote:Such is modern amateur footy, I suppose.

Well what are Mitchell Parks methods to recruit/retain? Do you rely solely on mates bringing mates or juniors coming through? What do you think coaches do when they come onboard?

The days are gone where people in the clubs catchment area exclusively play for that club, or generations of families stay at the same club.

Maybe your views and methodology are outdated and part of the reason MPFC is currently sitting in D7 with 8 blokes on the track each night.

Out of curiosity, what are your views on say representative sides? What about cricket or the likes if you're assembling a squad, particularly under age side (eg U21), plenty of guys you may not know, but if you're a coach it's your job to make a connection and try to find the best players you can - do you think it's silly in that instance as well? :?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby eric » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Talk to ten, sign one.. winning..
You do the maths
eric

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: South Whyalla

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:53 pm

eric wrote:Talk to ten, sign one.. winning..
You do the maths

Sounds like a regularly Saturday night for me as a young buck hitting the clubs :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Executive Member wrote:
Arch44 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Executive Member wrote:wont be Steeley, he is more than happy doing the B Grade, well that's what I heard up here on the news in Rockhampton :D

Get your people to call my people and book an appointment.. make me an offer I cant refuse. 8) :lol:

Reckon I said to you last year at some stage you will be the next Lodge coach :lol:

got it confirmed that you got the gig, $400 a game is all it will cost you ;)

Reckon Ryan Mckee might have it, if not wants it.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Well what are Mitchell Parks methods to recruit/retain? Do you rely solely on mates bringing mates or juniors coming through? What do you think coaches do when they come onboard?

The days are gone where people in the clubs catchment area exclusively play for that club, or generations of families stay at the same club.

Maybe your views and methodology are outdated and part of the reason MPFC is currently sitting in D7 with 8 blokes on the track each night.

Out of curiosity, what are your views on say representative sides? What about cricket or the likes if you're assembling a squad, particularly under age side (eg U21), plenty of guys you may not know, but if you're a coach it's your job to make a connection and try to find the best players you can - do you think it's silly in that instance as well? :?

8 blokes on the track at pre season, thats normally doesn't happen till at least half way through the season with there current coach .... all talk
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Well what are Mitchell Parks methods to recruit/retain?
We're not talking about retaining existing players. We're talking about looking someone up on social media and messaging them out of the blue when they have absolutely no connection to that club.

Look if that's your modus operandi, then all the luck to you. I personally think it's distasteful and its symbolic of the shitty culture Community football is in.

The Bedge wrote:Do you rely solely on mates bringing mates or juniors coming through?
Well contrary to popular thought I am not Mitchell Park and Mitchell Park isn't me, but yeah, I am old school, I like the connection to community, family and legacy that those methods bring.

The Bedge wrote:What do you think coaches do when they come onboard?
Exactly that, and I don't like it /Pauline

I would go as far as saying - any coach that moves clubs or resigns is restricted from clearing any players from their previous employer to their new club for 3 years.

That sort of logic exists in the corporate world, would love a rule like that here. Maybe that would reduce the "churn" that we're currently going through.

The Bedge wrote:The days are gone where people in the clubs catchment area exclusively play for that club, or generations of families stay at the same club.
You're probably right. That makes me very sad.

The Bedge wrote:Maybe your views and methodology are outdated and part of the reason MPFC is currently sitting in D7 with 8 blokes on the track each night.
As opposed to your views and methodology seeing Ingle Farm reach the pinnacle of football at the bottom of D5?

Maybe Mitchell Park's more community based approach has kept us alive, when many others would have failed by now?

The Bedge wrote:Out of curiosity, what are your views on say representative sides? What about cricket or the likes if you're assembling a squad, particularly under age side (eg U21), plenty of guys you may not know, but if you're a coach it's your job to make a connection and try to find the best players you can - do you think it's silly in that instance as well? :?
Completely different scenarios you galah :lol:
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am

morell wrote:Exactly that, and I don't like it /Pauline

I would go as far as saying - any coach that moves clubs or resigns is restricted from clearing any players from their previous employer to their new club for 3 years.:

So you don’t think coaches should approach players they DONT know, and be restricted from approaching players they DO know!?! :?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am

For what it's worth philosophically scattergun recruiting/churn doesn't have good results of late.

Count the number of ROCS/PAOC blokes from the last two D1 Premiership sides who both went to those Colleges and had played there for a number of years. Similarly Goodwood the year before that.

Churning is a way to keep your head above water, doesn't allow you to develop.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 am

jo172 wrote:For what it's worth philosophically scattergun recruiting/churn doesn't have good results of late.

Count the number of ROCS/PAOC blokes from the last two D1 Premiership sides who both went to those Colleges and had played there for a number of years. Similarly Goodwood the year before that.

Yes, agreed - but in the instances of say Mitchell Park, Adel Lutheran, Houghton, Ingle Farm who don’t have strong or consistent juniors/feeder programs it becomes somewhat more of a necessity until they can be established.
Last edited by The Bedge on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:28 am

The Bedge wrote:
eric wrote:Talk to ten, sign one.. winning..
You do the maths

Sounds like a regularly Saturday night for me as a young buck hitting the clubs :lol:

Bragger.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am

The Bedge wrote:
jo172 wrote:For what it's worth philosophically scattergun recruiting/churn doesn't have good results of late.

Yes, agreed - but in the instances of say Mitchell Park, Adel Lutheran, Houghton, Ingle Farm who don’t have strong or consistent juniors/feeder programs it becomes more of a necessity until they can be established.

Bedge how many junior sides does Ingle Farm FC have?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 am

morell wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Do you rely solely on mates bringing mates or juniors coming through?
Well contrary to popular thought I am not Mitchell Park and Mitchell Park isn't me, but yeah, I am old school, I like the connection to community, family and legacy that those methods bring.

Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:01 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
morell wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I remember those.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I remember those.

This bloke.. missed the joke.. again! :roll: :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am

The Bedge wrote:

Dude seriously you obviously can't see that all my posts on here are basically either sarcasm or just joining the group and dribbling crap. I understood the joke.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Dude seriously you obviously can't see that all my posts on here are basically either sarcasm or just joining the group and dribbling crap. I understood the joke.

b4e.gif
b4e.gif (627.5 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League