Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: AFLX

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Theres some premiership players in the squads, much better players were selected than I expected. The clubs seem to be giving it more respect than the SANFL clubs gave fast footy.
I'm looking forward to it but reserve the right to be bored of it within a few minutes.

I've been watching it for years with under 6's etc and clubs host 9 a side comps every season, pouring some glitter on it and chucking an x in the name doesn't really do a lot for me, I'm sure even you will agree after watching it for a bit.

Na, bad call ;)

Are you saying I'm more receptive of new things and wiling to give them a go more than most?
Thank you.

Bahahahaha :lol: :lol:

The only positive I can see out of this is you get more work which = more $$$$ in your pocket, other than that I'd rather watch paint dry, even worse I'd rather watch NAFC circ 2017 again :shock:
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 pm

carey wrote:As with AFLW I have zero interest in this at all.

#closetAFLWfan

;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:17 pm

At the very least it’s better than what’s usually played at Hindmarsh Stadium
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm

It's dead set rubbish. Takes away the excitement of a goal as a viewer for me.

It's ironic that the Women's field is far bigger than it needs to be and then they play a game on a postage stamp with the blokes.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Old Red » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 pm

How embarrassing for Gilligan. SANFLs version IMHO is the better of two evils
Old Red
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Not a bad concept this AFLX. As long as none of the key players play, it could work. Much better than the big bash rubbish
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Not a bad concept this AFLX. As long as none of the key players play, it could work. Much better than the big bash rubbish

Why is it better than the Big Bash?
Comparing apples to oranges.
Why wouldnt you want the key players playing it?
Id love to see Buddy having a crack from 75 metres, or Danger and Gazz going at it.

For a sporting forum, we seem to knock a lot on here.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Brodlach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Got redemption already ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

February premiers. Is it a good thing now?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Moe wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Not a bad concept this AFLX. As long as none of the key players play, it could work. Much better than the big bash rubbish

Why is it better than the Big Bash?
Comparing apples to oranges.
Why wouldnt you want the key players playing it?
Id love to see Buddy having a crack from 75 metres, or Danger and Gazz going at it.

For a sporting forum, we seem to knock a lot on here.

Simple, I don’t like big bash
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

AFLX

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:01 pm

2x 20 min halves would be better.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would

Was probably just as interesting as any other preseason game. And I can see it overtaking afl nines as the social game etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Thought I might be able to get out early but it turned out a lot busier than expected. Busier than any A League match Ive worked there and even sold more food than the Foo Fighters concert which had 25k at it, Quite a carnival atmosphere, I think they're trying to mimic rugby 7s more than the Big Bash.

With onky 24 hours till the next Grand Final is played will Adelaide be the shortest reigning premiers of all time? I hope their fans are making the most of it! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 pm

If i heard them refer to a goal as a Zooper one more time...ffs
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am

Watched 5 minutes of it and wow what a load a crap AFLX is. Its basically AFL9's with tackling and stupid Zooper Goals. Also AFL9's and the SANFL version is the fwds have to wear a wristband or a different colour sleeve for fwds.

Im not sure if i read it but did it take 18months for the AFL to develop this garbage. Whoever was responsible they should be sacked.

Bring back the State of Origin.

People can bag the AFLW's game for their skills and lack of goals but atleast the girls have a fair crack and go hard at it. Unlike the AFLX bruise free footy.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

Wedgie wrote:Thought I might be able to get out early but it turned out a lot busier than expected. Busier than any A League match Ive worked there and even sold more food than the Foo Fighters concert which had 25k at it, Quite a carnival atmosphere, I think they're trying to mimic rugby 7s more than the Big Bash.

With onky 24 hours till the next Grand Final is played will Adelaide be the shortest reigning premiers of all time? I hope their fans are making the most of it! :lol:

Booked in for a tattoo this afternoon :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 am

The always entertaining Richard Hinds from the ABC's view of AFLX:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-16/aflx-not-an-exciting-new-format-of-a-beloved-sport-richard-hinds/9452570

AFLX is the first attempted use of Victoria's voluntary euthanasia laws

It turns out AFLX is not an exciting new format of a beloved sport ''that will take the world by storm''.
Nor is it the AFL's version of T20 — or even, for that matter, of French cricket.
AFLX is the first attempted use of Victoria's new voluntary euthanasia laws.

What is AFLX?
• The game is played on a rectangular field (100-120m x 60-70m)
• Each side has 10 players - seven on the field, three on the interchange
• Two 10-minute halves will be contested
• A super goal is worth 10 points
• A ruck ball up will be used

If you wanted to kill AFL stone-dead surely you would turn it into this hollow, unappealing, pressure-free, atmosphere-deficient, oval-in-a-rectangle hole yawn-fest.

AFLX is a nothing of a game. One that combines neither the best aspects of Australian Rules, nor those of any other sport, but rather dilutes them so greatly that even the leather-lunged commentary box spruikers struggled to maintain their well-paid enthusiasm.

That said, it would be churlish not to list the highlights of AFLX's debut in Adelaide on Thursday night. So, in order, here they are:

1. The final siren.
Otherwise from just the second game of AFLX, it became apparent this ill-conceived and hopefully short-lived experiment has only one thing in common with the real game — Collingwood can't make the finals.

We were promised AFLX was the format that would make the game accessible to a vast international audience that, deprived of the game they play in Wangaratta, has only the meagre talents of Cristiano Ronaldo or Tom Brady to occupy their footballing hours.

AFLX would not only raise awareness of Aussie Rules in these heathen lands, it would allow said heathens to play this modified version of a game that had not yet heard of on their rectangular fields and in their local parks.

Crocodile Dundee 2, uranium, Air Supply and now AFLX. Can Australia do any more for humankind?
But as night one in Adelaide quickly demonstrated, AFLX will not ''take AFL to the world''.

It will take a version of the game that mostly entails players running up and down the field in something closely approximating a bog standard low pressure training drill to New Zealand for an experimental trial ... if it lasts that long.

Of course, a bog standard low-pressure training drill has the added attraction of a red-faced coach standing in the middle of the ground screaming obscenities as well as the considerable consolation the players would soon do something more entertaining, like spray each other with water bottles.
We can't say we weren't warned. AFL club fitness staff had told us they weren't too concerned about injuries because players did something similar to AFLX during most training sessions.

Which begs the question: Who at AFL thought a virtual training drill would be an attractive, prime-time TV sport when usually only diehard fans, autograph hounds and dog walkers turn up to watch this hamstring stretching?

The smaller rectangular ground would be, we were told, perfect for the seven-a-side game, allowing a free-flowing demonstration of the game's great skills and hard-running aerobic athletes. (Oh, and the use of ''soccer'' grounds was definitely not a land grab for facilities currently being used by football. Oh no!)

Instead, the reduced dimensions and team sizes merely created a tedious demonstration of how meaningless any football code becomes when the essential battle for possession and territory is removed — or, in the case of AFLX, the territory itself is removed.

In that regard, you might as well play AFLX on a ping-pong table and make it ''ideal for indoor use'' too, so ludicrously quick was the transition from (notional) defence to attack.

A basketball guard dribbling up the floor without pressure is one thing. An AFL defender eating up half the playing field while attracting as much interest from the opposition as a sausage roll at a Vegan picnic is an abandonment of the game's greatest fundamental.

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury was torched on social media after tweeting before the first AFLX game: ''Who's looking forward to footy being back on the screens tonight?''

It turns out Pendlebury's great sin was not to forget the AFLW had started two weeks ago. It was to suggest that AFLX in any way, shape or form deserved the title ''footy''.

The reflexive condemnation of Pendlebury's faux pas was over the top. However, AFLW players can feel justifiably miffed that the game's charisma-free new cousin was allowed to rob their second season of some media oxygen.

It was hard enough for AFLW to come straight after the conclusion of the Australian Open tennis. It did not need the AFL introducing a ''game'' that robbed it of attention and — even worse — inspired the patronising assertion that ''this could be a great game for women to play''.

This was just one of the pre-packaged claims uttered by the TV spruikers whose enthusiasm for AFLX was only slightly less transparent than that of the North Korean cheerleaders for ice hockey and luge. Particularly when a player attempted to score a long range goal cynically named for a ubiquitous iced confection.

''Great game for the kids'', ''Will be the ideal game to be played in the park'' and — yes — ''A great advertisement for the game overseas'' were the kinds of inanities perpetrated on those who watched to the anticlimactic end.

Surely only happy cricket executives will have lasted that long. They will have been reassured the AFL, despite its slavishly devoted media, cannot dominate every inch of the disputed late summer months, let alone every inch of Australian sporting turf. At least not with this soulless dross.
About the best that can be said of AFLX is that it will soon become another quirky addition to the AFL's history alongside Angry Anderson in a Batmobile, Warwick Capper's singing career and Richmond winning a premiership.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 am

I may be considered Xist, but it was footy with all the good parts removed. Long kicks, high marks, big bumps and tackles all but missing.
They have actually taken the X factor out of Aussie rules.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I may be considered Xist, but it was footy with all the good parts removed. Long kicks, high marks, big bumps and tackles all but missing.
They have actually taken the X factor out of Aussie rules.

More Ex-AFL that the other way around, one might say.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Feenix » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:32 am

I went to Hindmarsh to check it out. It was terrible, there was nothing to get Xcited about. All I was thinking was this would be a good training drill for local footy teams to practice their short kicking.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL