Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

That's the difficulty she faces. I'm sure in every A Grade game over the weekend there would have been a shocker or two. But if she makes an error it's because she's a girl and shouldn't be umpiring at that level. Will be scrutinsed more heavily than her peers. The payoff for being fast-tracked I guess.

Interestingly, I'm sure she played more cricket than most umpires have.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:That's the difficulty she faces. I'm sure in every A Grade game over the weekend there would have been a shocker or two. But if she makes an error it's because she's a girl and shouldn't be umpiring at that level. Will be scrutinsed more heavily than her peers. The payoff for being fast-tracked I guess.

We have had her the last two games and she has done a really good job, definitely better than some going around in 1st Grade!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Bulls forever wrote:Question for you TC, if Uni had 3 state players available, could / would they have fielded a team of Zero South Australians. Would be an interesting reunion in 10 years. Not my idea of a club, but obviously others disagree.

Uni a very good team but from the outside would appear a bit soul-less to a degree. Individuals who are using Uni as a temporary home/stepping stone. How many will be there in 2 years even? Compare that to their teams from the 90s and even 00s when Kimber, Williamson, Moule, Roberts etc were there for years and years and almost part of the furniture. Different vibe now.

Don't know what alternative they have though?

I did notice that two fringe A Graders from last year who had worked therir way through the grades at Uni headed off to ATCA this year. Not sure why but you'd think being shunted down the pecking order by a bunch of ringers would be part of it.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:That's the difficulty she faces. I'm sure in every A Grade game over the weekend there would have been a shocker or two. But if she makes an error it's because she's a girl and shouldn't be umpiring at that level. Will be scrutinsed more heavily than her peers. The payoff for being fast-tracked I guess.

We have had her the last two games and she has done a really good job, definitely better than some going around in 1st Grade!

Yeah I've been impressed with what I've seen. Heard from a WT bloke that a caught behind not given by the other umpire (who is actually a good umpire as well) was the most contentious decision from their game
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

195 Tea Tree Gully*
160 University
155 Sturt*
140 Adelaide

110 East Torrens
110 Glenelg
105 Woodville

*bye to come

Top four set? Or some juicy decks to finish the season and some 30 point games??!!

Woodville vs Adelaide and Sturt vs East Torrens two interesting games this week.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Yeah I've been impressed with what I've seen. Heard from a WT bloke that a caught behind not given by the other umpire (who is actually a good umpire as well) was the most contentious decision from their game

Yes, that was a shocker. Jake Brown caught behind for one. Regulation dismissal. Nobody could believe it. Browny admitted after that he smashed it. One of those game changing decisions, but sums up our season really. But that's cricket! (Umpire admitted after he got it wrong).
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:195 Tea Tree Gully*
160 University
155 Sturt*
140 Adelaide

110 East Torrens
110 Glenelg
105 Woodville

*bye to come

Top four set? Or some juicy decks to finish the season and some 30 point games??!!

Woodville vs Adelaide and Sturt vs East Torrens two interesting games this week.

Adelaide and Sturt win and last round irrelevant.

BUT, Sturt lose and then they have the Bye in last round, they will be very nervous. You watch some "fake" outright results where a team will get 30 points and leap frog them into finals.

Exactly why SACA made the final round a One day game years ago, going to end in tears for someone!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Bulls forever wrote:H31, as you are a respected poster, I suggest you update your information before throwing mud. An attack on our club is an attack on our leadership group and it has not been taken lying down. Suffice to say that a certain Pt Adel captain and coach have made their mistake and apologies have been made to our club captain.

Would suggest your leadership group start making efforts to improve the alleged perception that now hangs over your First Grade. My sources are about as close as you can get to the action and if TTG have nothing to hide then there should be no issues when inspections and observations take place. In my experience being polite and courteous to Umpires actually helps you in a game of cricket, being hostile towards them only increases your chances of 50/50 calls and stinkers going against you.....each to their own.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Thread finally delivering!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Myth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Love it! Love the passion. Without knowing exactly what has gone on as I don’t have the facts and like many I have just heard rumours and gossip.
I will say this- it seems like it’s an officiating problem. In first class cricket and high level cricket you get warned once to throw the ball up and not in the dirt as you can often see at the ground and on tv. It needs to be put a lot on the umpires and the officials. But with the standard of those officiating games of cricket and the weak governing body in SACA I wouldn’t expect anything different.
It’s not so much Tea Tree Gully’s problem as it is the poor state and standard of umpires that need to stop it from getting this far.
The Myth

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 am

Suffice to say that a certain Pt Adel captain and coach have made their mistake and apologies have been made to our club captain.

Well there it is, no issue?

Eagles your nonsensical rants are humorous if nothing else
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby The Myth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Not sure how you can say all that Eagles. Teams from the finals last year in Port and Glenelg have been smashed by injuries this season but have still made short form Semi’s and in Port’s case a one day final.
Kensington may have been disappointing but are very young. I think you should just admit you’ve had a stinker and move on.
The Myth

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

The Myth wrote:Not sure how you can say all that Eagles. Teams from the finals last year in Port and Glenelg have been smashed by injuries this season but have still made short form Semi’s and in Port’s case a one day final.
Kensington may have been disappointing but are very young. I think you should just admit you’ve had a stinker and move on.

Was not referring to Port and Glenelg. If you actually look at it, we have "been smashed" with injuries more than them. Anyway, not going to change your views, we know where we sit and as with two years ago when we got valuable game time in to young kids, will hold us in good stead for next year and will improve very quickly yet again. Definitely not a stinker when you look at the facts.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Port v Uni an interesting match up.

Have a few of the Uni UK guys headed home? Obviously Winter unavailable now and probably flown over to South Africa shortly...

Benton has had a few injury troubles? Saw he only bowled two overs today for Futures. Was that Hoffman who made a comeback in the Bs last round? Would be a handy in. Timely hundred for Cooper last game as far as his Shield career is concerned. Port may have thought they'd be getting him back prior to that.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Myth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I saw that as well with Hoffman last game. Would be a great in if he could play. Very interesting game on Sunday.
Port rely heavily on Weeks and Umpherston with the bat and Uni seem to all bat behind Wakim and Kerber.
Two really good one day teams as have seem a bit of them both in this format when they played against us the last few seasons. Don’t think these teams like each other that much so should be a very spicy encounter
The Myth

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm

There was a massive furore over a pitch last season from memory. Can't remember the details. Should be entertaining!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:There was a massive furore over a pitch last season from memory. Can't remember the details. Should be entertaining!

Uni needed to win outright to make finals, prepared a green deck for Winter to dominate on and bowled Port out for very small total, Port were spewing at the time!

Also had issue in their 20/20 Semi when Uni bowled deliberately slow as Port were batting in the dark by the end and just loss, they were pretty angry with this also.

Will be interesting day Saturday, as one team will be in the field for maybe 96 overs, while the other team will be nice and fresh for Sunday!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I hear a Port Adelaide player has announced his time at the club is complete.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Myth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Would have to be Sayers or Weeks from a playing point of view?
The Myth

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

The Myth wrote:Would have to be Sayers or Weeks from a playing point of view?

Heard Sayers was retiring. Was going to retire at end of last year, think he thought they may be Premiership chance this season so went on one more year. Weeks about to get contract extension as coach for few more years, whether he plays as much is up in the air. Certainly batting as well as he has for years, but his body is struggling and fielding major problem, especially when no slips required (he then comes off the field).
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps