2018 Broadcast Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2018 Broadcast Coverage

Postby therisingblues » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
norwood8 wrote:. Even the NPL (top level of soccer in the state) has radio coverage.

Thats the staggering thing, other sports and even other country leagues are expanding into radio coverage and free live streaming, all while the SANFL remove radio coverage and charge for streaming!

You'd almost think that someone was intentionally trying to kill the league off.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Reddeer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
norwood8 wrote:. Even the NPL (top level of soccer in the state) has radio coverage.

Thats the staggering thing, other sports and even other country leagues are expanding into radio coverage and free live streaming, all while the SANFL remove radio coverage and charge for streaming!

You'd almost think that someone was intentionally trying to kill the league off.

Yep, olsen been doing ever since they put him in charge
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:53 pm

It certainly looks that way.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am

Late February and still nothing regarding the digital pass or if there will be any coverage for the season ahead, for those getting club memberships for 2018 is there any mention of the digital pass as an option for 2018?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 am

Dutchy wrote:Late February and still nothing regarding the digital pass or if there will be any coverage for the season ahead, for those getting club memberships for 2018 is there any mention of the digital pass as an option for 2018?

Souths website does, but it talks about the 2017 finals.

Couldn't see anything on North's membership package about it at all.

Norwoods, like South, references the 2017 season.

West Adelaide, no response to "digital pass" search, WWT the same...

The SANFL Website's "Digital Pass" search unearths the $7.99 2017 SANFL finals series....what a ******* joke.

I'm not looking at any more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:40 am

Yeah I had a look at Glenelg and Sturt's and could see no mention of it, suffice to say I'm pretty confident last year was an abject failure otherwise we would have heard all about it by now.

Only way they can head from here is to make it free and promote the league.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 am

Dutchy wrote:Only way they can head from here is to make it free and promote the league.

I’m trying to work out which of these two things the league will want to do least...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Spargo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Only way they can head from here is to make it free and promote the league.

I’m trying to work out which of these two things the league will want to do least...

Work out an algorithm to pick this weeks X Lotto numbers, will be easier.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby norwood8 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Spargo wrote:The other thing is, when you’re at the game watching your club play & want to know the scores “around the grounds” the only way now (with no radio coverage) is through the SANFL app - which crashes/freezes most f#cking weeks!
It really is so sad yet so, so laughable.

That's my experience.

Yep, me too!

I swear the app gets worse every year, absolute junk. I actually find it is quicker to check on here for the live scores of other games.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Maybe that's why there's nothing coming up about the Digital Pass, the SANFL know the app is shit and they're not bothering until it's developed properly?

*Waves to SANFL*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:Yeah I had a look at Glenelg and Sturt's and could see no mention of it, suffice to say I'm pretty confident last year was an abject failure otherwise we would have heard all about it by now.

Only way they can head from here is to make it free and promote the league.

True.
But I think what is more realistic, considering the direction the league is taking, is that any discussion about the game outside of the oval, will require both the speaker and listener to contribute to a John Olsen inspired "SANFL broadcasting tax". Likewise, forums like this one will incur the same tax, and would be for subscribers only.
This will encourage more people to actually attend games because otherwise there will be no way to know what happened there!
I think I am really getting the hang of the new SANFL philosphy, and all I see are doors, opening everywhere!!!
;)
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

No-one cares, everyone's given up.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:No-one cares, everyone's given up.

Righto, last one out please shut the door.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby wild dog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm

I tried to replicate the radio; bluetooth speaker via the phone in the shed - of course the phone goes to sleep and once you lose connection with the SANFL it takes a few goes to reconnect. You then need another app (wakelock) to stop the CPU sleeping, which then drains the battery so you need to plug into the mains. Same with the speaker. Its a logistical act just to listen to a game of SANFL footy in your shed or garden. My plan for this year is hardwiring some crappy speakers for the outside to the PC.

While I am whinging, at quarter and half time there is a 30 second repetitive loop about Mcdonalds that is the audio equivalent of the test pattern. I think the semi professional / volunteer commentator has its charms, but give me the Smithfield Crash ad any day please.

After the halycon broadcasting days of the SANFL, reminiscing about the volunteer radio of Life FM and RPH. A debacle.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Don't for one minute think the callers are volunteers....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:49 am

Some great comment their Wild Dog.
You nailed it.
Sadly the SANFL just don't get it,over and over.
Eventually you will give up right.
Like all the others have,
not listen not turn up and follow something else.
This broadcast issue is any easy fix
compared to the financial downturn with a possible reduction of pokies revenue for footy junior and senior post election.
Last man out turn off the lights!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am

Everyone moaned like f$¥k about RPH and to some extent about Life FM.
Crap game callers, crap quality, high diddle diddle, Smithfield crash clangers and the wild man of Borneo, DB and his sausage rolls and guess the name of the player with the ball.

Sure do miss them though warts and all. At least they had a connection to the everyday fan. They were calling what was happening here and now (well for me about 12 seconds behind the now) but if you were out and about or were at another game, or just listening in the garden shed, they brought the SANFL alive and into whatever you were doing. It was real and you could relate to it.

The digital pass doesn’t have that connection for me. Not just because of my crap internet but mainly because it is a catch up type of thing. It’s like match of the day or a replay of the Melbourne Cup on the 10 o’clock News. Even if you don’t know the winner, the kudos just isn’t there.

When North was on the Radio I had a routine. Up at 5:00am, on a Sunday more often than not, write out today’s teams in their likely positions and research the opposition to guess who would likely match up on who. You had to visualise where the ball was during the game, you got to know the opposition as well as you own fringe players, the youngsters given a chance at league level, players coming back from injury an so on.

It was a real connection between the fan and the league. It was live and it was now. Even when your team was losing, you still listened in, in case they made the miracle come back, like North did against Sturt and the Eagles in 2007.

Now I don’t bother getting up at 5:00am anymore. I can watch a scattered Digital Pass game anytime I want, should I have the time and the inclination. I don’t connect with fellow Roosters from around the globe or fans from other clubs like Jimmy, TRB, Jane, Loyalist and many others who all had the same common connection. I don’t connect with the Aussie Roosters who weren’t at the game for whatever reason. I don’t connect with them because they aren’t there anymore. The one thing that brought fans together on this forum and, for me, on the Roost was the Radio. Game day live.

I know there are many other factors that have impacted on the average SANFL fan, but the loss of live Radio coverage and the great job both Life and RPH did in bringing games to the fans, has had a much deeper effect on the fans and their connection to their club and the league as a whole than the powers that be could ever realise.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby locky801 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 am

johntheclaret wrote:Everyone moaned like f$¥k about RPH and to some extent about Life FM.
Crap game callers, crap quality, high diddle diddle, Smithfield crash clangers and the wild man of Borneo, DB and his sausage rolls and guess the name of the player with the ball.

Sure do miss them though warts and all. At least they had a connection to the everyday fan. They were calling what was happening here and now (well for me about 12 seconds behind the now) but if you were out and about or were at another game, or just listening in the garden shed, they brought the SANFL alive and into whatever you were doing. It was real and you could relate to it.

The digital pass doesn’t have that connection for me. Not just because of my crap internet but mainly because it is a catch up type of thing. It’s like match of the day or a replay of the Melbourne Cup on the 10 o’clock News. Even if you don’t know the winner, the kudos just isn’t there.

When North was on the Radio I had a routine. Up at 5:00am, on a Sunday more often than not, write out today’s teams in their likely positions and research the opposition to guess who would likely match up on who. You had to visualise where the ball was during the game, you got to know the opposition as well as you own fringe players, the youngsters given a chance at league level, players coming back from injury an so on.

It was a real connection between the fan and the league. It was live and it was now. Even when your team was losing, you still listened in, in case they made the miracle come back, like North did against Sturt and the Eagles in 2007.

Now I don’t bother getting up at 5:00am anymore. I can watch a scattered Digital Pass game anytime I want, should I have the time and the inclination. I don’t connect with fellow Roosters from around the globe or fans from other clubs like Jimmy, TRB, Jane, Loyalist and many others who all had the same common connection. I don’t connect with the Aussie Roosters who weren’t at the game for whatever reason. I don’t connect with them because they aren’t there anymore. The one thing that brought fans together on this forum and, for me, on the Roost was the Radio. Game day live.

I know there are many other factors that have impacted on the average SANFL fan, but the loss of live Radio coverage and the great job both Life and RPH did in bringing games to the fans, has had a much deeper effect on the fans and their connection to their club and the league as a whole than the powers that be could ever realise.

=D> =D> =D> :prayer: :partyman:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Really well put, JTC.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby PhilH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm

I hate February / March (at least after the Super Bowl and Adelaide Bite Baseball finish)

Things that you would think would be done pretty quickly during a season seem to take forever over summer.

You can see the destination (Rd 1) but time seems to slow up in getting there, like a bad dream.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL