2018 AFL Ladder predictions

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Ladder predictions

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
morell wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:#keyboardwarriorsonfiretoday

#BattleCryOfTheNuffNuff

Are you saying that I'm a nuff nuff? You don't even know me. You've hurt my feelings. I'm gonna go hide somewhere a cry to my mummy.
No, I am saying "keyboard warrior" is the battle cry that is often used by people that cannot use written communication to construct an argument.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Unbelievable scenes.

Haha really?

I think quite a few of you mix up conviction with emotion.

As in, I strongly believe in what I'm saying, but I'm not upset or angry. I have this kind of conversation all the time!!
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:09 pm

As an aside.

The chances of Port winning their next final, using a two variable Bayes Theorem, is 47%.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 pm

morell wrote:You just said, in a round about way:

"People attack you, as an individual, for you highlighting the flaws in their content"

Even if it's my perception, that's what is happening. I don't think anyone is a bad person or doesn't understand all matter of subjects, but if they say something I think is stupid, I'll point it out.!

Think you're forgetting though, that not everyone is a deep analytical thinker, or have the same level of education as others, or exposure to various data/situations etc etc. You're treating it as though you're the baseline, and everyone should be on the same page, anyone below your capabilities is an idiot.

It's not that you're simply "highlighting flaws in their content", you straight out beat them down and make them feel/look like absolute nuffys.

It's not even restricted to actual data related stats - remember the fiasco last year with what was suitable for people to wear to the footy? Same thing.

You're welcome to point out if you think people are saying something stupid, but don't be upset when those people take offence.

I personally enjoy some of the content you (and benny) post, I find it insightful and partly useful, however, I don't think i'm a dumb person by any means but I do occasionally get lost reading them because it's written at a high level and generally need to read three of four times to fully get my head around it, so it annoys me when you critique someone who maybe doesn't understand or has differing views.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby MW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 pm

morell wrote:As an aside.

The chances of Port winning their next final, using a two variable Bayes Theorem, is 47%.

In what year? 8) 8)
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Besides, basing your arguments purely on statistical analysis is surely flawed in itself anyway - data and stats can be manipulated to produce the result you like... depending on what you're looking for.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 pm

The Bedge wrote:Besides, basing your arguments purely on statistical analysis is surely flawed in itself anyway - data and stats can be manipulated to produce the result you like... depending on what you're looking for.

That is one thing Morell has pointed out and what started a lot of these 'discussions'
MW
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:You just said, in a round about way:

"People attack you, as an individual, for you highlighting the flaws in their content"

Even if it's my perception, that's what is happening. I don't think anyone is a bad person or doesn't understand all matter of subjects, but if they say something I think is stupid, I'll point it out.!

Think you're forgetting though, that not everyone is a deep analytical thinker, or have the same level of education as others, or exposure to various data/situations etc etc. You're treating it as though you're the baseline, and everyone should be on the same page, anyone below your capabilities is an idiot.

It's not that you're simply "highlighting flaws in their content", you straight out beat them down and make them feel/look like absolute nuffys.
I don't tend to do that unless pushed. Then yeah, I will tend to do that. Keep in mind that this started with a very friendly pointing out the flaw of someones logic in using a cherry picked dataset.

Do I think that person is stupid? No. Do I think I'm smarter than that person? Maybe with data, but not overall by any stretch.

The Bedge wrote: even restricted to actual data related stats - remember the fiasco last year with what was suitable for people to wear to the footy? Same thing.
Oh c'mon man, that was obviously tongue in cheek. I was being self depreciative.

The Bedge wrote:You're welcome to point out if you think people are saying something stupid, but don't be upset when those people take offence.
I'm not upset at all man. I get that I am acerbic, but ignorance isn't something that should just be forgiven or tolerated. We should all strive to know more, learn more.

The Bedge wrote: enjoy some of the content you (and benny) post, I find it insightful and partly useful, however, I don't think i'm a dumb person by any means but I do occasionally get lost reading them because it's written at a high level and generally need to read three of four times to fully get my head around it, so it annoys me when you critique someone who maybe doesn't understand or has differing views.
ahhh but you see the difference is..

If you don't understand something, you say exactly that, and often ask for clarification. That's fine and I'd never attack anyone who says that. Which is why we get along fine. I've often asked for clarification from you too.

The point is, many people on here instead of asking for clarification or saying they don't understand, go the other direction and become critical.
That's what I rail against.
morell
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm

SA footy members this afternoon....
Attachments
beer snacks.jpg
beer snacks.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
beer computers.jpg
beer computers.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 pm

If debate and the seeking of truth is seen as entertainment and worthy of drinks and snacks, then I think that's much healthier than the willful ignorance and malaise of a community.

So, you're welcome. :)

Maybe next time, instead of "morell GTFO you nerd data sucks opinion rules" perhaps a "hmm I don't get what you're saying" would work better.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 pm

And then I'll *try* and understand that not everything has to be analysed.

Urgh.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

MW wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Besides, basing your arguments purely on statistical analysis is surely flawed in itself anyway - data and stats can be manipulated to produce the result you like... depending on what you're looking for.

That is one thing Morell has pointed out and what started a lot of these 'discussions'
Oh Em Dubbs, if you were a Port fan you'd be my favourite poster.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm

morell wrote:And then I'll *try* and understand that not everything has to be analysed.

Urgh.

and this concludes The Bedge's therapy session for today.. well done all, I think we have made some really positive progress! :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm

morell wrote:
MW wrote:

Oh Em Dubbs, if you were a Port fan you'd be my favourite poster.

I liked a daysofourlives post during the week and now this... :shock: :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:11 pm

MW wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Oh Em Dubbs, if you were a Port fan you'd be my favourite poster.

I liked a daysofourlives post during the week and now this... :shock: :lol:

And both have given you great nick names over time :D
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby MW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

what did daisy call me?
MW
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 pm

MW wrote:what did daisy call me?

Dickhead. ;) :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm

MW wrote:I liked a daysofourlives post during the week and now this... :shock: :lol:

I had you hanging on the peg board with them all along.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:And then I'll *try* and understand that not everything has to be analysed.

Urgh.

and this concludes The Bedge's therapy session for today.. well done all, I think we have made some really positive progress! :D

See, when it comes to understanding humans and in particular how to pass on knowledge... I have a lot of development to do

Just ask the missus!

"It's not just how you say it, but when!". Apparently.

I think my nature on here is perhaps related to me being in tune with this shit in real life.

Ragging on plebs, sorry, posters, on safooty is my outlet, in other words.
Last edited by morell on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morell
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 pm

MW wrote:what did daisy call me?

an oversized self beater ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives