Your poison of choice?

Anything!

Re: Your poison of choice?

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Cans have several aspects that differ to bottles :

Generally the mouth of a can is wider meaning you open your mouth wider meaning you get an enhanced flavour as you use more of your olfactory sensory neurons. :-B It's why many of the hoppy craft beers use the wide mouth cans.

Cans limit the amount of light hitting the beer ( An ol mate neighbour told me years ago never trust beer in clear bottles, he's right )
They have an internal coating now that eliminates the metallic taste of old. They get cold quicker and they're cheaper to make, cheaper to transport and are fully recyclable.[/quote]

Does U Brew It still have their canning machine?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:I always pour them into a good quality glass when I’m drinking st home. Helps a lot as a lot of the flavour and aroma is in the head

Also eliminates some of the carbonation that causes the bloating.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to drinking beers at home, I've got an ale glass, a pilsner glass, a lager glass....all slightly differing in shape and size.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Yeah mate, but in 2 1/2 years of brewing there once a month I've never seen or heard of anyone using it. Cans are something like 40c each to buy! :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Yeah mate, but in 2 1/2 years of brewing there once a month I've never seen or heard of anyone using it. Cans are something like 40c each to buy! :shock:
Bugger. At least you can reuse bottles...even if sanitising is a pain.
Cans would be a good if you were doing the grog for wedding, parties anything etc with own labels on them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Does anyone else think that pints knock you around more than cans or bottles?

Would there be a reason for it?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Fair point about bottles Bonney, I actually have been meaning to ask people on here why there's so many clear bottles these days as the coloured bottles (mainly brown) were made to keep harmful light out.
Anyway I'm at the pub enjoying a pale ATM as its next to my missus Doctor and she wanted me to drive her there.
Had two freebies so far, I think the bar staff miss me.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone else think that pints knock you around more than cans or bottles?

There's little doubt you can knock down beer in a glass quicker than you can from a can or bottle. Might just be you knock down 3 or 4 pints in quick succession when you're at the pub?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Cans would be a good if you were doing the grog for wedding, parties anything etc with own labels on them.

Sanitizing is pretty easy, all I do at home is rinse the bottle thoroughly ( a half fill, drain, full fill and shake, drain, full fill and drain ) and run my thumb and finger around the mouth of the bottle to clean away any sediment from under the cap.

U Brew It have 2 trees that we stack the bottles on to sanitize and rinse when we get there to bottle. ( Next Saturday at noon ).
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone else think that pints knock you around more than cans or bottles?

Opposite for me. Could knock down 20 pints and feel fine the next day.
Can beer did used to hit me harder the next day due to the preservatives/acid in them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Sanitizing is pretty easy, all I do at home is rinse the bottle thoroughly ( a half fill, drain, full fill and shake, drain, full fill and drain ) and run my thumb and finger around the mouth of the bottle to clean away any sediment from under the cap.

U Brew It have 2 trees that we stack the bottles on to sanitize and rinse when we get there to bottle. ( Next Saturday at noon ).
Bottles or the PET plastic bottles??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Same as Wedgie. Drink as many pints as I want but bottles go straight to my head
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bottles or the PET plastic bottles??

355ml brown glass.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Can beer did used to hit me harder the next day due to the preservatives/acid in them.

Since I've been doing my brews ( which are preservative free ) I simply must take a heart burn tablet with me if I'm going to a pub for a show or to a gig where I'm drinking mass produced beers. The preservative free stuff, fine, mass produced, fire!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:I always pour them into a good quality glass when I’m drinking st home. Helps a lot as a lot of the flavour and aroma is in the head

You talking about the beer?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Since I've been doing my brews ( which are preservative free ) I simply must take a heart burn tablet with me if I'm going to a pub for a show or to a gig where I'm drinking mass produced beers. The preservative free stuff, fine, mass produced, fire!

I get that after about 21 pints and a spicy feed. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Booney wrote:

There's little doubt you can knock down beer in a glass quicker than you can from a can or bottle. Might just be you knock down 3 or 4 pints in quick succession when you're at the pub?

That and a pint has more beer in it (425ml or 600ml imperial) to a can/bottle (345ml-375ml)
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:

It's not the next day for me, it's at the time.

I can sit at home and pretty much polish off a box from bottles, some days I'm a bit glassy eyed and obnoxious after 7 or 8 pints.

I only ever feel seedy the following day if I've changed drinks during the session, even if it's changing from one beer to another I notice I'm not as spritely.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

That and a pint has more beer in it (425ml or 600ml imperial) to a can/bottle (345ml-375ml)

But if you pour a stubby or a can into a pint, it fills it up because of the head.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

It's not the next day for me, it's at the time.

I can sit at home and pretty much polish off a box from bottles, some days I'm a bit glassy eyed and obnoxious after 7 or 8 pints.

I only ever feel seedy the following day if I've changed drinks during the session, even if it's changing from one beer to another I notice I'm not as spritely.

Hard for me to compare as I usually only drink at the pub, the only time in recent years I've drank bottles were at shindigs such as SANFL finals, SANFL catch ups, AFL Grand Finals at mates, OzSpurs bus trip, etc and I reckon I've been ticking after about 4 or 5 bottles. Depends on a lot of things such as food eaten, etc and especially how regular you drink. I'm actually feeling a bit of fuzziness now after 3 pints where a month ago I'd probably need 12 for that. Maybe it was the Chilli beer beforehand :lol:
I've actually found since I gave up smoking 4 months ago that I get pissed quicker too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:Hard for me to compare as I usually only drink at the pub, the only time in recent years I've drank bottles were at shindigs such as SANFL finals, SANFL catch ups, AFL Grand Finals at mates, OzSpurs bus trip, etc and I reckon I've been ticking after about 4 or 5 bottles. Depends on a lot of things such as food eaten, etc and especially how regular you drink. I'm actually feeling a bit of fuzziness now after 3 pints where a month ago I'd probably need 12 for that. Maybe it was the Chilli beer beforehand :lol:
I've actually found since I gave up smoking 4 months ago that I get pissed quicker too.

Because you're drinking quicker by not interrupting it with the ciggies.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion