Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby afc9798 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Dutchy wrote:What benefit do South get out of having the GF apart from some extra bar takings post games? All food and beverage outlets are run by the clubs aren't they?

Not sure how the financial governance works between Jimmy Deane's and the SAFC proper, but JD's does dome pretty good trade of its own on SFL GF day regardless of the drink and food outlets run by the clubs.

But I agree with some other posts. Not saying its a good or bad thing but the SFL has largely returned to its traditional roots and this presents the league and clubs with an opportunity to look at changes to how GF Day is run and venue options.

I assume this year is a final 5 and a return to the pre-2002 format of 1 final on each of the Saturday and Sunday in the first 2 weeks, followed by Saturday Prelim and Saturday GF?

AFC9798 - One of the main reasons the minor grades presentation are held behind the clubrooms at SAFC is because a 5 game GF Day makes it time impossible to use the oval for presentations. Port Noarlunga was even worse with the use of the small grass area near the play equipment.

Yes, I realise why they do it, it just makes more sense to do it next to the grandstand or on the grass hill. A bit more dignified.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby vics01 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:57 pm

vics01 wrote:
SB
South Adelaide upping the rent for the SFL office from 2k to 10k PA :shock:

Must be very tight at Lovelock drive?

This move has made some clubs ask is our core business at SA or find other office space and including playing of GF at OUR clubs ?

Have to find someway to fund the PC footy comp I suppose, after all it doesn't contribute anything.

LGIL
Footy computer games?

Actually not a bad idea at least people pay to play and watch computer games, unlike the AWFL and other rubbish
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm

The C Grade & Sunday comp Grand Final being moved back to Sunday is back on the agenda for discussion too.

SFL are suggesting GF be held on the Sunday after Sat comp Preliminary Final.
I expect this will be a popular change and will be accepted by the club involved in Sunday competition.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby beer tent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Great Southern have all there presentations on the ground and they don't run over
beer tent

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 pm

beer tent wrote:Great Southern have all there presentations on the ground and they don't run over
They only have 4 games

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm

beer tent wrote:Great Southern have all there presentations on the ground and they don't run over

GSFL GF Day is only 4 games and the Junior Colts commence 45 minutes earlier than they do in the minor round to enable them to progressively fit the extra time needed to get the next game started until the A grade game commences. So they start at 9.05 instead of 9.50 which isn't too bad but can't be done in a 5 game GF day.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Down the Hill wrote:

GSFL GF Day is only 4 games and the Junior Colts commence 45 minutes earlier than they do in the minor round to enable them to progressively fit the extra time needed to get the next game started until the A grade game commences. So they start at 9.05 instead of 9.50 which isn't too bad but can't be done in a 5 game GF day.
Unless we extend the day

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Unless we extend the day

Night A grade Grand Final [emoji6]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm

heater31 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Unless we extend the day

Night A grade Grand Final [emoji6]
Not ideal, reduce the celebrations for the winners.

No I meant extending the gaps between the games by 10 minutes, starting the A-Grade 40 minutes later.

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Hasbeen » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:What benefit do South get out of having the GF apart from some extra bar takings post games? All food and beverage outlets are run by the clubs aren't they?

After questioning why the beer was so expensive one GF I was told the SFL clubs have to buy the alcohol from South at greatly Inflated prices compared to Dan Murphy's across the road. So South are getting a decent cut from every Beer, Cider and Spirit sold by the clubs on Grand Final Day.
Hasbeen
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby oldman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:08 am

Emus in massive trouble. No money in the bank, lost over half their senior squad from last year and a coach that nobody has been impressed with the way he goes about it. Could be the worst decision in a very long time that really brings them to their knees.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Demon fan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 am

oldman wrote:Emus in massive trouble. No money in the bank, lost over half their senior squad from last year and a coach that nobody has been impressed with the way he goes about it. Could be the worst decision in a very long time that really brings them to their knees.

Looks like a few 17.5's are on the move as well, Have they appointed a B grade coach yet?
The president isn't respected, lots of rumours going around.
Are they in denial and think everything is going well, or is someone currently not involved going to step in and right the ship?
Time will tell it will either be sunshine and rainbows or very dark days.
Demon fan
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby ol man emu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Demon fan wrote:
oldman wrote:Emus in massive trouble. No money in the bank, lost over half their senior squad from last year and a coach that nobody has been impressed with the way he goes about it. Could be the worst decision in a very long time that really brings them to their knees.

Looks like a few 17.5's are on the move as well, Have they appointed a B grade coach yet?
Are they in denial and think everything is going well, or is someone currently not involved going to step in and right the ship?

Oldman.
Could not be further from the truth regarding money in the bank.
The Morphett Vale Football Club is in the best financial position we have been in for a very long time.
We are not rich but all bills are paid and we have a bit of change in the bank, which is very good for us this time of the year.
You are correct that we have lost a number of players to cashed up clubs, paying ridiculous amounts of money.
We don't pay that sort of money and have been a breeding ground for cashed up clubs for a long time.
We are very happy with the coach, we appointed Dave to get our culture back to where it used to be because it has been slipping for a
few years.
The players that have stayed are really enjoying the training sessions and they will be fit and ready to go.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

Demon Fan.
Very disappointed to lose 4 under 17.5 but that is life. Reserves coach has been appointed and president has the respect at the
Morphett Vale Football Club.
We are not in denial we know where we are at, we definitely are in rebuild mode.
We have a great bunch of kids busting there guts to play for the Morphett Vale jumper.
We have some good senior players who also want to play for Morphett Vale and not money.
We have a few players returning who didn't play last year, also playing for the jumper.

Definitely not all doom and gloom at the Morphett Vale Football Club.
We are a grass roots football club that promotes junior footballers.
Who knows what the season will bring regarding win loss.
I'm exited bring on 2018.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Postby beer tent » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Regarding grand final day don't you guys have only 4 games now like the GSFL
beer tent

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 pm

beer tent wrote:Regarding grand final day don't you guys have only 4 games now like the GSFL
No. 5 matches
U13s U15s U17.5s Bs & A Grade

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Postby oldman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm

ol man emu wrote:
Demon fan wrote:

Oldman.
Could not be further from the truth regarding money in the bank.
The Morphett Vale Football Club is in the best financial position we have been in for a very long time.
We are not rich but all bills are paid and we have a bit of change in the bank, which is very good for us this time of the year.
You are correct that we have lost a number of players to cashed up clubs, paying ridiculous amounts of money.
We don't pay that sort of money and have been a breeding ground for cashed up clubs for a long time.
We are very happy with the coach, we appointed Dave to get our culture back to where it used to be because it has been slipping for a
few years.
The players that have stayed are really enjoying the training sessions and they will be fit and ready to go.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

Demon Fan.
Very disappointed to lose 4 under 17.5 but that is life. Reserves coach has been appointed and president has the respect at the
Morphett Vale Football Club.
We are not in denial we know where we are at, we definitely are in rebuild mode.
We have a great bunch of kids busting there guts to play for the Morphett Vale jumper.
We have some good senior players who also want to play for Morphett Vale and not money.
We have a few players returning who didn't play last year, also playing for the jumper.

Definitely not all doom and gloom at the Morphett Vale Football Club.
We are a grass roots football club that promotes junior footballers.
Who knows what the season will bring regarding win loss.
I'm exited bring on 2018.

I get my info from people who know. Plenty of past players and long time members and supporters are staggered with some decisions made in the last few months. This is why the exodus of Morphett Vale players has been so great this offseason. I feel that the club which was so dominant in the early 2000s is now back to where it was before the Potts and Hill era. As for saying other clubs are offering ridiculous amounts of money this maybe true but its a known fact that the Emus were paying a select few huge amounts in previous years. When this club was winning flags for fun they built over a couple of years but they had the right man steering the ship with a brilliant track record. Could you please fill me in on what Dave Murdoch's coaching record is like........ Not great I believe.
oldman
Under 16s

Been liked: 62 times

Postby spot on » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 am

I see another Emus player has lodged a clearance to Macclesfield, Rhys Reynolds, Dennis Iljesan must be a good recruiter, that's 5 now (including himself).
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby beer tent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Thought there was a rule brought in that you can only take maximum of 3 players from one club
beer tent

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:51 pm

beer tent wrote:Thought there was a rule brought in that you can only take maximum of 3 players from one club
I believe that is for clubs within the SFL only unfortunately

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Great to see it announced that every team has a full suite of juniors ensuring the junior draw matches the senior draw for the first time since when?

5 games on a Saturday at each venue, great opportunity strengthen the league even further.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL