The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:its a perfect location. because its in the city where everything else is.

thats why it was so successful, and why it has been copied by other events. its not just a race, its the concerts, the nightlife afterwards, etc etc
Sure, but then there's a fair degree of market canabalism going on with other festivities.

If it's to stay in the city, then re-time it. There's this massive aversion to doing anything in Adelaide in winter, supposedly to avoid bad weather and AFL, but geez there's a bunch of very quiet sunny weekends in that time where a boutique car race might work really well.

Plenty of opportunities to move it onelce the Bend is up and running, then that could boost regional economies and spread the benefits.

i would like to see research as to whether it actually does cannibalise other events like the fringe or festival etc

a) they are likely different demographics
b) for people that are interested in both and from interstate, one or the other might not be enough incentive to visit adelaide, but having more than one thing to do could be enough to make the trip

Figures I've found range from 11,000 to 13,000 interstate visitors come for the 500. I would expect many, many of them would enter the Garden and Fringe events while they're here. Will or does this stop Adelaide people from going to the Garden or Fringe?

Bahahahahahaha hahahahhaha :lol:
What would prevent those 13k visitors coming in June to boost business during that time? And as per jo and my post above, if you think the Clipsal doesn't prevent people from entering the city, you're off your chops.

You might not like the City except in March, but thousands upon thousands do. Its where a lot of people recreate, shop and do all sorts of stuff. Myself included. I don't do any of that in March.

There no doubt market cannibalism is there, its just determining to what degree and whether shifting it would improve it.
Last edited by morell on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:52 pm

morell wrote:You really are a bit of a battler, aren't ya?

Battler, as in fighter?

Battler, as in you think I'm not so clever and you're a condescending prick?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:You really are a bit of a battler, aren't ya?

Battler, as in fighter?

Battler, as in you think I'm not so clever and you're a condescending prick?

Thats rich.

Hahahahah bahahahah :lol:

:roll:

But yes, that was condescending, I edited my post accordingly.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 pm

morell wrote:But yes, that was condescending, I edited my post accordingly.

morell book.JPG
morell book.JPG (25.41 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Morell you are more than welcome to go into the city in the other months of the year
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cracka » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:its a perfect location. because its in the city where everything else is.

thats why it was so successful, and why it has been copied by other events. its not just a race, its the concerts, the nightlife afterwards, etc etc
Sure, but then there's a fair degree of market canabalism going on with other festivities.

If it's to stay in the city, then re-time it. There's this massive aversion to doing anything in Adelaide in winter, supposedly to avoid bad weather and AFL, but geez there's a bunch of very quiet sunny weekends in that time where a boutique car race might work really well.

Plenty of opportunities to move it onelce the Bend is up and running, then that could boost regional economies and spread the benefits.

Why not move the fringe to the winter
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:Morell you are more than welcome to go into the city in the other months of the year
Its not a once off event Benny haha

My missus lives in Medindie and works on Rundle Street, I am in there 3 or 4 times a week.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:22 pm

cracka wrote:
morell wrote:

Why not move the fringe to the winter
As it goes for longer and is mostly outside, I'd say its success is more dependent on good weather than a car race. There is also a fair festival startup in early Spring - OzAsia, Tasting Australia and the wine palaver kicks into gear over the colder months.

There's nothing for the bogans other than footy though!
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:23 pm

morell wrote:My missus lives in Medindie.

Medindie + Mitchell Park.. really is like one of those feel good Disney movies where the guy from the wrong side of the tracks gets the princess :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:29 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:My missus lives in Medindie.

Medindie + Mitchell Park.. really is like one of those feel good Disney movies where the guy from the wrong side of the tracks gets the princess :lol:

Yeahhhh it's often hilarious how different our worlds are.

I go from one event hobnobbing with quite well to do people and talking high falutin rubbish.. to watching Nat throw up in a cigarette bin and eating it for a dare. :lol:

We do get into a bit of trouble sometimes as her family are all very conservative Lutherans and have made a healthy life for themselves ... I quite clearly am not that. They have some opinions and ways of life that are mind blowing to me, and vice versa.

Variety is the spice of life, I suppose.
Last edited by morell on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:29 pm

And the port supporter starts calling people bogans :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:And the port supporter starts calling people bogans :)

Nothing wrong with bogans! Awesome people. Mostly.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Morell you are more than welcome to go into the city in the other months of the year

My missus lives in Medindie and works on Rundle Street, I am in there 3 or 4 times a week.

So you like the city, it's just not when there's lots of people in there?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Great article, on this topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... on-culture

But what happens to Adelaide when the party’s over? After the curtains close, so does the economy. Outside of Mad March, South Australia threatens to top the league table no one wants to be on: that of worst-performing state.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Out of curiosity to those that have a grasp of motorsport that exceeds mine (so i imagine all of you).

Is there a particular prestige to having the first round of the season? Or is it all a bit of much of muchness?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Booney wrote:So you like the city, it's just not when there's lots of people in there?

That's how I feel.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:

I love the City, yes. Gouger Street, the Central Markets, Leigh Street, Rundle Street, The East End. Up to O'Connell Street. North Terrace is spectacular. All the new bars and restaurants. It's ******* mint man, It's honestly booming.

I don't mind it when it's busy, but in March, there is too much, and the infrastructure hasn't caught up yet, so enjoying all of the aforementioned becomes too difficult and many people then choose to stay away. Not to mention the race literally eats up a lot of that infrastructure - parking, traffic routes etc - exacerbating the problem.

If it was timed a bit better or moved, it would be more efficient and we'd get a more consistent revenue.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 pm

jo172 wrote:Out of curiosity to those that have a grasp of motorsport that exceeds mine (so i imagine all of you).

Is there a particular prestige to having the first round of the season? Or is it all a bit of much of muchness?

There's certainly notoriety with the season opener so far as we're the first to see the new cars, the drivers who have moved teams, the livery on the track etc that aside, the way South Australia represents value for money as well as the way we run our major events ( TDU, Test cricket etc ) means the 500 truly does rival Bathurst on the bucketlist of rev heads around the country and the concerts make 3 of the 4 days a 12 hour event for under $100 a day and that is, in every sense, value for money.
Last edited by Booney on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 pm

morell wrote:
Booney wrote:
morell wrote:

I love the City, yes. Gouger Street, the Central Markets, Leigh Street, Rundle Street, The East End. Up to O'Connell Street. North Terrace is spectacular. All the new bars and restaurants. It's ******* mint man, It's honestly booming.

I don't mind it when it's busy, but in March, there is too much, and the infrastructure hasn't caught up yet, so enjoying all of the aforementioned becomes too difficult and many people then choose to stay away. Not to mention the race literally eats up a lot of that infrastructure - parking, traffic routes etc - exacerbating the problem.

If it was timed a bit better or moved, it would be more efficient and we'd get a more consistent revenue.

I can't think of anywhere else to hold it and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it goes for 4 days only, doesn't it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Booney wrote:I can't think of anywhere else to hold it and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it goes for 4 days only, doesn't it?
I always thought an Adelaide Hills event would be awesome, but I'm not a car racing fan.

4 days for the event, a week-ish either side for the setup. It's a pain if you're a frequent visitor to the City. I used to work in Kent Town, we literally had to take leave.

The other thing I heard that I liked is hold it every 4 years in the City and really make it a big deal. Not a bad idea.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics