Adelaide Crows 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2018

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

training base and clubrooms arent the same thing either. could easily just put some cash into memorial drive - lets just assume they build a stadium with a roof there for basketball and netball and tennis which would be perfect for after match functions - and still keep the training base at west lakes
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:A building doesnt make a club, its ridiculous to suggest that it does

having said that, the crows definitely need a space for after game drinks, to better engage with the fans.

Without a club room / club house it's not really a club, more like a football team or football franchise not really football club.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

I’d be interested to know many people go back to their clubs after a night game. Surely not too many
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Brodlach wrote:I’d be interested to know many people go back to their clubs after a night game. Surely not too many

Back in the 2000's Centrals clubrooms use to be packed after night games (when we had them there), that then filtered into the local pubs as the night went on

Was a brilliant club atmosphere
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Local footy is a bit different but I agree with you

Port have a clubroom, is it busy after a game?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:31 am

Booney wrote:
Ronnie wrote:A football club without club rooms is the real issue. I assume they are biding their time for a move when they are able to do so.

Well if you don't, you're not, IMHO.

Please. Pubs are money eaters and don't make money. How much money would the port pub make? Clubs are investing in China for example to try and make money.

While we are rent free at West Lakes, have one of the best training facilities in the country i doubt we will move anywhere.

When we did have the shed, as a kid it was great to go back there. I like the idea of replicating that somehow at Memorial Drive if that gets redeveloped, the SMA won't like that though.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am

The SMA may take control of memorial drive if it gets developed, who knows
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am

hawks21 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Ronnie wrote:A football club without club rooms is the real issue. I assume they are biding their time for a move when they are able to do so.

Please. Pubs are money eaters and don't make money. How much money would the port pub make? Clubs are investing in China for example to try and make money.

While we are rent free at West Lakes, have one of the best training facilities in the country i doubt we will move anywhere.

When we did have the shed, as a kid it was great to go back there. I like the idea of replicating that somehow at Memorial Drive if that gets redeveloped, the SMA won't like that though.

At a guess I'd say the Port Club would make a tidy profit, quite busy, the meals are great and popular at times I've been there or mates that have provided feedback.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am

Brodlach wrote:Local footy is a bit different but I agree with you

There's certainly people there after a day game for meals at night, I get on/off at the Alberton station and day games certainly have bigger numbers before and after on the train, twilight games they do a pretty good lunch trade and night games the post match function is in the Magarey Room in the Riverbank Stand, Barry Curtin MC's, a coach talks, a couple of players speak and the "event" wraps up about 1.5-2 hours after the game ends, so about 11:30ish.

Supporter groups use Alberton Oval for away game functions and watch the game, the "Outer Army" had a quiz night there Friday night, every Thursday night "Talking Footy" has two guests, either coaches or players or both and often you need to book a couple of weeks in advance if you want a table at 6pm Thursday night for the 7pm interviews ( again, Barry Curtin MC ). The Thursday night's are a great chance to talk to the players and coaches.

It's a point of difference that Port and Adelaide people will never agree on, but we've all been part of clubs and the best part of being involved at a club is the social scene attached to it, whether it's hard wicket 7th grade or AFL football, the chance to mingle with like minded people and create friendships is what clubs are all about.

Being in a "club" gives you a sense of belonging and you feel like you're a part of a greater cause, at any level.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 am

bennymacca wrote:The SMA may take control of memorial drive if it gets developed, who knows

I believe the Game Day Village will be back in 2018 with the Port Club leaving the infrastructure there for Adelaide to use as well, if they wish. You blokes will love it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
Booney wrote:

At a guess I'd say the Port Club would make a tidy profit, quite busy, the meals are great and popular at times I've been there or mates that have provided feedback.

I have heard similar good things about the Port Club from mates. They also have some players interviewed regularly which is a great idea.

As for having a 'club rooms' - its a non issue for me. It comes back to how well the club engages with its supporters. I wouldn't probably get to a club facility even if there was one.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am

Booney wrote:

There's certainly people there after a day game for meals at night, I get on/off at the Alberton station and day games certainly have bigger numbers before and after on the train, twilight games they do a pretty good lunch trade and night games the post match function is in the Magarey Room in the Riverbank Stand, Barry Curtin MC's, a coach talks, a couple of players speak and the "event" wraps up about 1.5-2 hours after the game ends, so about 11:30ish.

Supporter groups use Alberton Oval for away game functions and watch the game, the "Outer Army" had a quiz night there Friday night, every Thursday night "Talking Footy" has two guests, either coaches or players or both and often you need to book a couple of weeks in advance if you want a table at 6pm Thursday night for the 7pm interviews ( again, Barry Curtin MC ). The Thursday night's are a great chance to talk to the players and coaches.

It's a point of difference that Port and Adelaide people will never agree on, but we've all been part of clubs and the best part of being involved at a club is the social scene attached to it, whether it's hard wicket 7th grade or AFL football, the chance to mingle with like minded people and create friendships is what clubs are all about.

Being in a "club" gives you a sense of belonging and you feel like you're a part of a greater cause, at any level.

All of this is excellent, and mandatory for a amateur or semi-professional club

For an AFL club? It is still good, and I would like to see the crows have something like this - particularly as you say for after match and away games, but I dont think it is absolutely essential - for me that interaction with like minded people happens at the game itself
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

Footy Smart wrote:I have heard similar good things about the Port Club from mates. They also have some players interviewed regularly which is a great idea.

As for having a 'club rooms' - its a non issue for me. It comes back to how well the club engages with its supporters. I wouldn't probably get to a club facility even if there was one.

Question is though, would you at least like the opportunity to?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

Can you imagine the lunch time trade an Adelaide club would do on pension day? Make a killing. :lol:

Actually, probably be handy to have a defib on hand.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am

Booney wrote:

I was expecting someone to think I was trolling

I agree a club is important, I enjoy having a beer at my local club and at Westies, actually makes you feel a part of the club

Port has had their clubhouse for nearly a 100 years so they certainly have an advantage to them now with an built up existing patronage. I’m not sure if Adelaide had a clubhouse now it would be an advantage to the Crows with the number of clubs/pubs in the city. Remember this would need to be a 365 day business not just 11 home games a year.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

Brodlach wrote:
I was expecting someone to think I was trolling

I agree a club is important, I enjoy having a beer at my local club and at Westies, actually makes you feel a part of the club

Port has had their clubhouse for nearly a 100 years so they certainly have an advantage to them now with an built up existing patronage. I’m not sure if Adelaide had a clubhouse now it would be an advantage to the Crows with the number of clubs/pubs in the city. Remember this would need to be a 365 day business not just 11 home games a year.

That's the kicker and it seems as though the Adelaide hierarchy think the fans are only interested in the 11 home games being the basis for an event or gathering when I think most of them see that as the bonus that would come with having a 365 day a year venue.

I also don't think it needs to be in the city and big enough to hold 15,000 people. While West Lakes is out of the way for many people that is your home and there's no denying a large portion of the Adelaide supporter base is in the Western suburbs, has grey hair and would love somewhere for a $10 schnitzel after their Tuesday round at Grange.

But people will travel, I know regular Alberton Oval attendees who live in the outer northern suburbs but never miss a night at the club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 am

who owns checksides?

the sanfl?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

All of this is excellent, and mandatory for a amateur or semi-professional club

For an AFL club? It is still good, and I would like to see the crows have something like this - particularly as you say for after match and away games, but I dont think it is absolutely essential - for me that interaction with like minded people happens at the game itself

While i agree on most of your post Booney and think it's great that the club provides access to the players etc each week, i think the AFL has evolved away from the every day punter, as a whole. During the week, how many people do to these nights get and what demographic are they? Majority old Magpie supporters that live in the area?

Id be more than happy with an old shed like set up for before and after games, not overly fussed with the mid week stuff as i don't have personally time to attend. The Crows Social Media and media (MMM/5AA etc) interaction and access is pretty good and gives me plenty of player information and interviews.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

Port suck on the tit of their valued community for $7m a year via the pokies.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am

hawks21 wrote:During the week, how many people do to these nights get and what demographic are they? Majority old Magpie supporters that live in the area?

There's a regular group of about 15-20 that would be there week in, week out, without fail, and I'll have to choose my words carefully but I think the carers use it as an opportunity to have a night out with their clients.

The cheer squad/supporter groups have a couple of large tables booked from week to week and then you'd have 20-30 others who might like the players who are speaking. For instance the night Boak and Wines were on was booked out well in advance.

I don't know the breakdown of locals v people outside the area, but if the car park is an indication plenty of people travel to get there.

hawks21 wrote: i think the AFL has evolved away from the every day punter, as a whole.

It certainly was a little while ago, clubs soon worked out though that they were asking for more and more money from punters at the merchandise stands and when your membership renewal arrived and they had to re-engage with the everyday fan. All clubs have changed their thinking on this, engage people more, they feel more a part of the club, they're more inclined to invest, not just emotionally.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL