The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 am

jo172 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/steven-marshall-casts-early-vote-citing-busy-election-day/9518968

When I saw Marshall had voted early today, I was annoyed. I like the buzz of the polling booth on election day and It's not that difficult to vote. So many reasons for people choosing to pre-poll are BS. It also delays the results in many electorates and, in a close election, the overall decision.

The more I thought about it, though, the more it appeared a savvy political move. From my understanding, pre-polling mostly favours the Libs. By pre-polling, he's encouraging more people to do the same and vote early. What that does is legitimises pre-poll voting to people and is two less weeks for the electors to change their mind about who they're voting for.

If you think about how well the ALP campaigned in the final week of the last election, which resulted in Marshall succumbing to the pressure and telling people to "vote Labor", it's a very smart move. Furthermore, I suspect there are a couple of very big ALP announcements to come as we head into the final days, if people vote early it negates that voting sugar fix.
Marshall's voting today legitimises changing the status quo and voting early. It will be interesting to see if it has an impact.

I like voting pre-poll. Lines on election day are ******.

Also leaves Saturday free for day-drinking.

My postal vote arrived yesterday. Easy as, and I can concentrate on Day on the Green on the 17th.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

morell wrote:
cracka wrote:And you wonder why people think you are an elitist leftard.
What's wrong with talk back radio, I find 5aa very unbiased & take all parties to task. Pretty sure they do their homework on policies, probably even more than you.
I don't wonder at all. It's because people buy into the the tribalism and pick a side. Anyone who isn't on that side, is a "leftard" or "rightard". Which is beyond stupid, considering left and right are arbitrary terms and we're originally used to delineate which wing of the French parliament you sat on during the Revolution.

But I digress.

There is nothing wrong with talk back radio. Read what I posted. I said people get their information from talk back radio, as one source, and if that's all you did, without also doing your own research, then you'd be part of the Idiocracy. That's why I liked Psybers post. He didn't just get an opinion from a media personality or read a shitty article. He did his own research and made up his own arguments.

I listen to 5aa in the mornings. They try and limit their bias, and I don't mind them, but they're still just dudes with an opinion. It would be like basing ones thoughts on how Port are going to go based just on Booney posts. Or mind.

tl;dr - do you own research, read policy and form your own independent opinions independent of tribalism

Its nothing to do with tribalism, its the condescending & demeaning way you talk about & to forum users, just have to read a few pages of the AFL ladder predictions thread. Leftards are not just people who are on the left side of politics.
Reading policy, going to party rallies or even listening to a politician talk, would be one of the most biased things out.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby morell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 pm

It has everything to do with tribalism.

We're arguing different points, so there isn't any reason to continue other than to mention, if you find any of the above condescending, then really, that's your problem not mine. Not one thing was directed at any individual other than complimenting Psyber.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37 pm

morell wrote:It has everything to do with tribalism.

We're arguing different points, so there isn't any reason to continue other than to mention, if you find any of the above condescending, then really, that's your problem not mine. Not one thing was directed at any individual other than complimenting Psyber.

Referring to people as being part of the idiocracy is not condescending. My mistake then.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 pm

cracka wrote:

Referring to people as being part of the idiocracy is not condescending. My mistake then.

Have you been referred to as a "battler" as yet? Now that's condescending.

:D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:

I'm often referred to as a bogan. But I embrace that
cracka
Veteran

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm

cracka wrote:
Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:

I'm often referred to as a bogan. But I embrace that

Me too! I am what I am. Western suburbs boy, live in the Port, I'm a bogan. Probably a "CUB", to be honest.

However, having some random sanctimoniously refer to me as a battler isn't something I wear with a badge of honor.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/steven-marshall-casts-early-vote-citing-busy-election-day/9518968

When I saw Marshall had voted early today, I was annoyed. I like the buzz of the polling booth on election day and It's not that difficult to vote. So many reasons for people choosing to pre-poll are BS. It also delays the results in many electorates and, in a close election, the overall decision.

The more I thought about it, though, the more it appeared a savvy political move. From my understanding, pre-polling mostly favours the Libs. By pre-polling, he's encouraging more people to do the same and vote early. What that does is legitimises pre-poll voting to people and is two less weeks for the electors to change their mind about who they're voting for.

If you think about how well the ALP campaigned in the final week of the last election, which resulted in Marshall succumbing to the pressure and telling people to "vote Labor", it's a very smart move. Furthermore, I suspect there are a couple of very big ALP announcements to come as we head into the final days, if people vote early it negates that voting sugar fix.
Marshall's voting today legitimises changing the status quo and voting early. It will be interesting to see if it has an impact.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... ys-result/
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Listen to all this rubbish from centralist battlers.....i love it!
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby tipper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:I'm often referred to as a bogan. But I embrace that

Me too! I am what I am. Western suburbs boy, live in the Port, I'm a bogan. Probably a "CUB", to be honest.

However, having some random sanctimoniously refer to me as a battler isn't something I wear with a badge of honor.

i usually refer to myself as a bogan. its best when someone tries to talk me out of that title and i hit them with all the evidence... :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby cracka » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:I'm often referred to as a bogan. But I embrace that

i usually refer to myself as a bogan. its best when someone tries to talk me out of that title and i hit them with all the evidence... :lol:

Our footy club had one of those bogan bingo nights & some friends asked each other what should they wear. Someone suggested just wear what cracka normally wears. Just coz I sometimes wear thongs with jeans & a black t shirt in winter, doesn't make me a.... oh hang on. :D
cracka
Veteran

Postby morell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

cracka wrote:

Correct, it's not, especially when it's a critique of society in general, rather than an individual. All good these things happen.

Of course sarcasm is condescending, though.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:

Not nearly as condescending as "bahahahaha hahahaha" after building a false argument, though.

;)
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Listen to all this rubbish from centralist battlers.....i love it!
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy

Tribalism example #3,762.
morell
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Sky News People's Forum with Jay Weatherill, Steven Marshall and Nick Xenophon live from Grand Central at Central District Football Club Wednesday 14th March at 7:30pm.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/03/airdat ... laide.html

I thought Weatherill was clearly the stand out on the ABC one Monday night.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Gozu wrote:Sky News People's Forum with Jay Weatherill, Steven Marshall and Nick Xenophon live from Grand Central at Central District Football Club Wednesday 14th March at 7:30pm.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/03/airdat ... laide.html

I thought Weatherill was clearly the stand out on the ABC one Monday night.

Yes, best con-artist of the three! ;)
I met him recently at a function - pleasant enough with an agreeable nature to talk to, but you don't know what is going on inside...
(I'm not a big fan of Marshall either. Rather similar type but not as good at the self-presentation.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Booney wrote: Me too! I am what I am. Western suburbs boy, live in the Port, I'm a bogan. Probably a "CUB", to be honest.

Interesting... In the 50s and 60s, ALP orientated people like my father and his friends wore the "battler" tag with pride.

Me: born in Bowden, then lived in Croydon, went to Brompton Primary, Croydon Primary, Woodville High, but in the 80s I learned to accept my Yuppiness and embrace drinking latte - probably partly because "Yuppies" were the abused underdog then, and I tend to drift to the Devil's Advocate position when people get aggressive...

I guess I was always a challenger - I was a Norwood supporter all the way through Woody High even when "Chicken" Hayes was coaching the school footy team, which included Bruce Nyland and Eric Freeman.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am

Battler isn't a term I enjoy being bandied about.

And don't you dare refer to my community as being resilient, like so many politicians and members of the media do. I hate that word.
It suggests that we're battlers and that's all we'll ever be. It says we should put up with whatever we are fed, that our politicians can give us lip service and that we can be happy with being in a non-marginal electorate and that we don't need support to make this community better, because our resilience will get us through. It tells us that there's honour in being resilient. It doesn't say we're ambitious, driven to succeed or able to better than what's expected of us.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am

^ Nice rant.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am

Dogwatcher wrote:^ Nice rant.

At least you're not trying to confect an image
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times