Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Postby Boosh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 am

jo172 wrote:For what it's worth it's a pity we don't still have the D8/8R grade (understand that the push to triple headers knocked it over).

As someone whose played in C and D Grade Comps having gone through years both winless and undefeated the two seasons I played in 8 and 8R were the most evenly balanced Comps I've played in in 10 years of lower grade footy.

Certainly had its advantages but I know North Haven wouldn't have 4 sides if we still had to be in Div 8, I am sure others would have the reverse issue where if Div. 8 existed they would have 4 tams but for whatever reason it didn't work for us.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 am

Boosh wrote:
jo172 wrote:For what it's worth it's a pity we don't still have the D8/8R grade (understand that the push to triple headers knocked it over).

As someone whose played in C and D Grade Comps having gone through years both winless and undefeated the two seasons I played in 8 and 8R were the most evenly balanced Comps I've played in in 10 years of lower grade footy.

Certainly had its advantages but I know North Haven wouldn't have 4 sides if we still had to be in Div 8, I am sure others would have the reverse issue where if Div. 8 existed they would have 4 tams but for whatever reason it didn't work for us.

Given that the other clubs who would populate a D8 are all D1/D2 i accept that North Haven, Elizabeth and Edwardstown's C Grades would likely be getting the rough end of the pineapple.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby scottroo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 am

Townies must of had a huge influx of players to be able to run 4 senior sides and an under 18s
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

scottroo wrote:Townies must of had a huge influx of players to be able to run 4 senior sides and an under 18s

Quite a few of our recruits are C/D players plus a few coming back from a season off. We did have 33 under 18's last year and 10 or so have stepped up to seniors which is great. We also had a dozen odd under 16's who will take the step up to 18's this year. Good numbers on the track all round so it's all positive.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby S Demon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them in Round 3??

Is that just an error?
Last edited by S Demon on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:12 pm

S Demon wrote:Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them??

Is that just an error? Surely their D grade isn't in C5 and their C grade in C6?

That happened once or twice with our C/D Grade last year in C1/C6
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm

jo172 wrote:
S Demon wrote:Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them??

Is that just an error? Surely their D grade isn't in C5 and their C grade in C6?

What happens if you're short of players in the D grade? Can the C's help out after their game as its still technically in the C grade comp?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby TEX07 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

S Demon wrote:
jo172 wrote:

What happens if you're short of players in the D grade? Can the C's help out after their game as its still technically in the C grade comp?

Would maybe be due to triple headers? We have a heap of D grade C6 games at 2:15 and C grade at 10:15 in C2 - this is likely due to triple headers. Helps us with support staff mostly. Pretty sure that players can double up after playing the C grade and then D grade but it would be unlikely to happen for us unless numbers were desperate - can see how sides could exploit it I suppose but its a risk if they get injured maybe
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby S Demon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 pm

TEX07 wrote:
S Demon wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Would maybe be due to triple headers? We have a heap of D grade C6 games at 2:15 and C grade at 10:15 in C2 - this is likely due to triple headers. Helps us with support staff mostly. Pretty sure that players can double up after playing the C grade and then D grade but it would be unlikely to happen for us unless numbers were desperate - can see how sides could exploit it I suppose but its a risk if they get injured maybe

Nah it's just their C grade and D grade playing at home that week (R8). C's at 12.15pm, D's at 2.15pm. I'm not complaining, 2.15pm games suck once you get used to playing at 10.15am every week!
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Executive Member » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

S Demon wrote:
jo172 wrote:

yep they can play but for finals qualification purposes, only the highest grade is counted
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby scottroo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Pretty sure you can’t play a lower grade once you’ve played in the higher gradeon the same weekend.
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Executive Member » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:14 pm

S Demon wrote:Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them in Round 3??

Is that just an error?

It would be an error most likely

I believe those at Aldi Arena are still going thru the manual changes that the draw throws up

It should be noted that if you see something out of the ordinary please flick it thru to Tony Sullivan so he can add it to the list, as the League requires as many eyes as possible to look at it

One of the joys of the C Grade comps and how much more time is involved to try and get the draw to align perfectly for every club
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:55 pm

scottroo wrote:Pretty sure you can’t play a lower grade once you’ve played in the higher gradeon the same weekend.

Yes you can that rule was removed over 10 years ago.

Your club used to do it all the time.

Your B Grade would come and fill in for your C Grade side against our E Grade

Only rule now is that you must be fully dressed and on the bench or playing before the 1/2 time siren as per Rules & Regs
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby BenchedEagle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 am

S Demon wrote:Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them in Round 3??

Is that just an error?

With the amount of numbers we have our D grade will never be short! lol

That round is the only time we dont play quadruple headers at home, Hope Valley are having work done on their oval during Rd 3 i believe??

Once draw is more solid, we will be approaching either C5 or C6 oppo to negotiate the gametime, to either a slightly earlier start or a 4:30 twilight game on Argana #2.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby H Ward » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 am

Bluedemon wrote:I don't know why the League didn't force them up a grade anyway.

Uni have D1 & D1res sides, someone new to the club or coming back from injury or whatever reason who do they play for in 2017- D7, D7res or C1?
In 2017 we had C grade standard players playing in multiple grades, 2018 will see our C graders playing in C1 -just like the other Div 1 clubs.

We hope this will help our overall selection structure.
D1 & D1res, select themselves.
C1 will be the next best players rather than split over 7/7res & C1. Then the remaining C grades would follow to a degree.

As a lot of the bigger clubs we are in a position with our "C Grades" where mates are playing with mates, that is 100% why they are playing.
They don't have ambition to play higher or develop themselves, they just want to play footy with their mate, brother, cousin, brother in law or whatever.
Some guys could play higher, but then some of their mates aren't probably up to the grade they are in already. If you promote one or drop the other you may end up with neither playing.

My experience over a long time in the leauge is that most clubs in the lower grades (D7--> C6) have 2 or 3 (maybe more) players that could easily play D1res standard footy without looking out of place.
In most cases they have either done it previously and for work/family/study/enjoyment or other reasons can't commit to training & playing at that level.

Aside all that a lot of Uni players are also Uni Students that have part time work so either need to play an early game to get to work after playing, or a late game to play after working a morning shift.
Then there's young country lads that need to play early so they can get home to the country for a mates 21st, sisters wedding or Dad's 60th.
-there's always circumstances where guys are available/unavailable or conditionally available.

I can guarantee there is or was no great conspiracy to win a C5 flag, and if there was wouldn't we have played those same blokes the following weeks in the higher grades (C1 & D1res) who were also playing in Grand Finals. Or alternatively not been so strong in C1 or D1res??
Selection for 7 teams is very rarely easy & often continues on thru Friday &into early Saturday morning just to get teams onto the park, let alone "Stack" them.

Everyone have a great 2018, play hard & fair with no injurys.
H Ward
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Executive Member » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:58 am

H Ward wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:I don't know why the League didn't force them up a grade anyway.

Uni have D1 & D1res sides, someone new to the club or coming back from injury or whatever reason who do they play for in 2017- D7, D7res or C1?
In 2017 we had C grade standard players playing in multiple grades, 2018 will see our C graders playing in C1 -just like the other Div 1 clubs.

C1 will be the next best players rather than split over 7/7res & C1. Then the remaining C grades would follow to a degree.

As a lot of the bigger clubs we are in a position with our "C Grades" where mates are playing with mates, that is 100% why they are playing.
They don't have ambition to play higher or develop themselves, they just want to play footy with their mate, brother, cousin, brother in law or whatever.
Some guys could play higher, but then some of their mates aren't probably up to the grade they are in already. If you promote one or drop the other you may end up with neither playing.

My experience over a long time in the leauge is that most clubs in the lower grades (D7--> C6) have 2 or 3 (maybe more) players that could easily play D1res standard footy without looking out of place.
In most cases they have either done it previously and for work/family/study/enjoyment or other reasons can't commit to training & playing at that level.

Aside all that a lot of Uni players are also Uni Students that have part time work so either need to play an early game to get to work after playing, or a late game to play after working a morning shift.
Then there's young country lads that need to play early so they can get home to the country for a mates 21st, sisters wedding or Dad's 60th.
-there's always circumstances where guys are available/unavailable or conditionally available.

I can guarantee there is or was no great conspiracy to win a C5 flag, and if there was wouldn't we have played those same blokes the following weeks in the higher grades (C1 & D1res) who were also playing in Grand Finals. Or alternatively not been so strong in C1 or D1res??
Selection for 7 teams is very rarely easy & often continues on thru Friday &into early Saturday morning just to get teams onto the park, let alone "Stack" them.

The great Bobby Neil defence :lol:
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Executive Member wrote:
H Ward wrote:

The great Bobby Neil defence :lol:

I think it's called "Adelaide University Exceptionalism"
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 pm

H Ward wrote:

I-) Huh? First post as well
Got to be the real thing. Only a uni student could carp on for that long................
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby S Demon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm

H Ward wrote:

You did exceptionally well in 2017. You managed to have 25 players in C5 who could easily play D1R standard. You even beat your B grade during the week off in the finals. If you have a similar squad this year, I don't envy the other C4 teams... :shock:
Last edited by S Demon on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
H Ward wrote:

I-) Huh? First post as well
Got to be the real thing. Only a uni student could carp on for that long................

Most would spell "injuries" correctly though I would've thought,........money well spent.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League