Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Went to Kaffanabar on Peel St before Ed Sheeran last night, heard good things.

Guy behind the bar informed me that they aren't usually busy on Wednesdays nights and as such only usually have one chef on. Obviously it was relatively busy when we walked in at 6pm on concert night, and he informed us they couldn't get another chef to come in so the wait for food may be a while. No probs, appreciated the heads up. Ordered a Serbian pilsener while we waited.

$10 burgers were a great promo, got 2x Kaffana burgers with pork/beef patty on turkish roll, with tomato, bacon, lettuce, havarti cheese, onion and 'kaffana' sauce. The half beef/pork patty was a bit heavier than what you'd expect at other burger establishments but worked a treat! (and cooked a bit more well than usual burger joints but still juicy) Havarti melted perfectly, and the kaffana sauce was amazing. Plenty of grilled onion which I love. Chips (not fries) were really fluffy with a bit of a crunch. Up there with the best burgers I've had in the city (alongside B&B and Burger Boss).

2x burgers with chips, plus 2 pilseners and a coke for about $40. Steal. Will be back ASAP.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Pag wrote:Went to Kaffanabar on Peel St before Ed Sheeran last night, heard good things.

Guy behind the bar informed me that they aren't usually busy on Wednesdays nights and as such only usually have one chef on. Obviously it was relatively busy when we walked in at 6pm on concert night, and he informed us they couldn't get another chef to come in so the wait for food may be a while. No probs, appreciated the heads up. Ordered a Serbian pilsener while we waited.

$10 burgers were a great promo, got 2x Kaffana burgers with pork/beef patty on turkish roll, with tomato, bacon, lettuce, havarti cheese, onion and 'kaffana' sauce. The half beef/pork patty was a bit heavier than what you'd expect at other burger establishments but worked a treat! (and cooked a bit more well than but still juicy) Havarti melted perfectly, and the kaffana sauce was amazing. Plenty of grilled onion which I love. Chips (not fries) were really fluffy with a bit of a crunch. Up there with the best burgers I've had in the city (alongside B&B and Burger Boss).

2x burgers with chips, plus 2 pilseners and a coke for about $40. Steal. Will be back ASAP.

Good review **** ( 4 stars )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:42 pm

So now we are reviewing the review and giving the review a rating???
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So now we are reviewing the review and giving the review a rating???

You may,if you find it helpful and informative. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Pag wrote:Went to Kaffanabar on Peel St before Ed Sheeran last night, heard good things.

$10 burgers were a great promo, got 2x Kaffana burgers with pork/beef patty on turkish roll, with tomato, bacon, lettuce, havarti cheese, onion and 'kaffana' sauce. The half beef/pork patty was a bit heavier than what you'd expect at other burger establishments but worked a treat! (and cooked a bit more well than usual burger joints but still juicy) Havarti melted perfectly, and the kaffana sauce was amazing. Plenty of grilled onion which I love. Chips (not fries) were really fluffy with a bit of a crunch. Up there with the best burgers I've had in the city (alongside B&B and Burger Boss).

I saw an apology post on their Facebook page last night.

Good way to do business. Be accountable, and admit shortcomings. A lot of business's won't admit they had bad service or served bad food.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Boony's at Pt Noarlunga for wedding anniversary

Shared the crumbed mushrooms for entree.....had them before and delicious. $16

We had the Seafood platter for 2. Again we have had this previously....and again it didnt let us down. Absolutely delightful. $60.

Lemon lime and bitters and a swell lager for drinks.

Given the food was so delicious and we were more than content and we have some dessert which we have brought back and yet to be eaten.

$103.30

Simply awesome place.
Staff welcome you like old friends.

Love it.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby JK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 am

Easter away with the family and friends at Berri meant I finally got the chance to checkout the Mallee Fowl .. My God was it worth the wait, so on Sunday evening we trundled off!!

The place itself is awesome with memorabilia hanging left, right and centre. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly and in keeping with a really Aussie outback kinda setting (would fit in well in a Mad Max scene).

Food - Simply awesome .. Shared some Spring Rolls for entree, which were great.

The 4 kids had Nuggets and Chips (nothing gourmet about it obviously, but it shows the diverse range of meals on offer).

I had the Reef and Beef - A 300gm Scotchy with Garlic Pepper Sauce with about half a dozen prawns on top (came with Salad and chips too) and was outstanding!

The missus had a steak in some kinda Thai sauce that she loved, mate had Butter Chicken (he and his missus spend a lot of time in Asia, so he eats curries all the time and rated this very highly), other mate had a Red Curry he asked for with extra spice and it was seriously the hottest curry Ive ever tasted. Other meals included Atlantic Salad and a marinated Chicken that both girls raved about.

6 main meals + 4 x Kids meals + Entree + approx 6 soft drinks + approx 14 x beer/wine = $311 .. Everything was well priced, especially the drinks. Can't find a single bad thing to report about this place and can't wait to get back there.

Rating 9/10

Thursday night we all rolled down to the Berri Hotel for dinner. Had a more than decent Beef Schnit with Pepper sauce which was excellent. Have seen bigger Schnitz getting around, but it was plenty enough for me. Missus had a Lamb Salad and virtually licked the bowl clean (always get distracted when that happens) and everyone else seemed more than happy with their pub fare. Drinks decently priced, footy was on, and we had a great view of the River, Highly recommend.

Ventured to the Woolshed near Renmark on the Saturday too which I'd have been happy to review, but it was bursting at the seems and I was the DD .. I did sample the Hard Lemonade which I really enjoyed, but have the Quick Eze handy and their Pale Ale, which was top notch!

Drove home Monday morning and decided to keep going rather than the usual stop at the Truro Bakery. Coming in through the Port we tried for the Admiral or Lighthouse but couldn't get parking anywhere remotely close enough, so decided we'd hit the Newmarket. The minute we got out of the car we could hear loud, aggressive profanities being thrown around, followed by some dude swinging haymakers so I told the Bride to march the lids back to the car (they were happy they ended up with Maccas instead). Had to laugh, spent 5 days in the Riverland without a cross word being said and 5 sec's in the Port (at Midday on a Monday no less) and we're already watching a drunken blue - Ahh it's good to be home :lol: :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:53 am

The Mallee Fowl's an absolute ripper - had some great meals there over the years and it doesn't sound like its dropped off.

Last time I was there, my farmer mate got a severe telling off for playing with the rabbit traps they used as table decorations. lol
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 am

Dogwatcher wrote:The Mallee Fowl's an absolute ripper - had some great meals there over the years and it doesn't sound like its dropped off.

Last time I was there, my farmer mate got a severe telling off for playing with the rabbit traps they used as table decorations. lol

Haha .. No it hasn't dropped off bud, seriously loved it there and everytime Im in the Riverland in future I'll be heading back there for sure
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm

JK wrote:Easter away with the family and friends at Berri meant I finally got the chance to checkout the Mallee Fowl .. My God was it worth the wait, so on Sunday evening we trundled off!!

The place itself is awesome with memorabilia hanging left, right and centre. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly and in keeping with a really Aussie outback kinda setting (would fit in well in a Mad Max scene).

Food - Simply awesome .. Shared some Spring Rolls for entree, which were great.

The 4 kids had Nuggets and Chips (nothing gourmet about it obviously, but it shows the diverse range of meals on offer).

I had the Reef and Beef - A 300gm Scotchy with Garlic Pepper Sauce with about half a dozen prawns on top (came with Salad and chips too) and was outstanding!

The missus had a steak in some kinda Thai sauce that she loved, mate had Butter Chicken (he and his missus spend a lot of time in Asia, so he eats curries all the time and rated this very highly), other mate had a Red Curry he asked for with extra spice and it was seriously the hottest curry Ive ever tasted. Other meals included Atlantic Salad and a marinated Chicken that both girls raved about.

6 main meals + 4 x Kids meals + Entree + approx 6 soft drinks + approx 14 x beer/wine = $311 .. Everything was well priced, especially the drinks. Can't find a single bad thing to report about this place and can't wait to get back there.

Rating 9/10

Thursday night we all rolled down to the Berri Hotel for dinner. Had a more than decent Beef Schnit with Pepper sauce which was excellent. Have seen bigger Schnitz getting around, but it was plenty enough for me. Missus had a Lamb Salad and virtually licked the bowl clean (always get distracted when that happens) and everyone else seemed more than happy with their pub fare. Drinks decently priced, footy was on, and we had a great view of the River, Highly recommend.

Ventured to the Woolshed near Renmark on the Saturday too which I'd have been happy to review, but it was bursting at the seems and I was the DD .. I did sample the Hard Lemonade which I really enjoyed, but have the Quick Eze handy and their Pale Ale, which was top notch!

Drove home Monday morning and decided to keep going rather than the usual stop at the Truro Bakery. Coming in through the Port we tried for the Admiral or Lighthouse but couldn't get parking anywhere remotely close enough, so decided we'd hit the Newmarket. The minute we got out of the car we could hear loud, aggressive profanities being thrown around, followed by some dude swinging haymakers so I told the Bride to march the lids back to the car (they were happy they ended up with Maccas instead). Had to laugh, spent 5 days in the Riverland without a cross word being said and 5 sec's in the Port (at Midday on a Monday no less) and we're already watching a drunken blue - Ahh it's good to be home :lol: :lol:

The crosswords on an away trip is a must.

Do you ever sto pat the Waikerie Bakery?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:13 pm

JK wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:The Mallee Fowl's an absolute ripper - had some great meals there over the years and it doesn't sound like its dropped off.

Haha .. No it hasn't dropped off bud, seriously loved it there and everytime Im in the Riverland in future I'll be heading back there for sure

The new owner is a good bloke. They have a courtesy bus too and will pick you up from your house and drive you home.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
JK wrote:

The new owner is a good bloke. They have a courtesy bus too and will pick you up from your house and drive you home.

That is awesome, do you think Mawson Lakes might be off limits?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
JK wrote:

The Bus was just dropping off a group when we got there, will remember that if as I expect we hear back there next Easter.

LM - Last coupla feed from the Waikerie Bakery were ordinary so we bypass nowadays
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Pag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm

JK wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
JK wrote:

The Bus was just dropping off a group when we got there, will remember that if as I expect we hear back there next Easter.

LM - Last coupla feed from the Waikerie Bakery were ordinary so we bypass nowadays

The one on the highway or the one in town?
Pag
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Pag wrote:
JK wrote:

On the highway, they do a pretty good peppered steak pie!

JK: I know what you mean, we've rated them poorly the last two visits, we had people try to push in and they were about to get served until we piped up, it's like a cow paddock on a busy day but it's not that hard to pay attention to who's been there a while.

The last time they didn't write Mrs Mc's roll requests down and stuffed that up resulting in me having to hear about it til halfway to Blanchetown, drinks are dear AF too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm

The one in town I used to go to a bit about 20 year ago and IIRC it was always OK
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 pm

I've always found the Waikerie Bakery hit and miss.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I've always found the Waikerie Bakery hit and miss.

Yeah, it's getting disappointing as I'd prefer to only make one stop on route to Mildura and Waikerie is pretty much half way.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I've always found the Waikerie Bakery hit and miss.

Yeah, it's getting disappointing as I'd prefer to only make one stop on route to Mildura and Waikerie is pretty much half way.

That bakery is shit house.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Pag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:
JK wrote:

On the highway, they do a pretty good peppered steak pie!

JK: I know what you mean, we've rated them poorly the last two visits, we had people try to push in and they were about to get served until we piped up, it's like a cow paddock on a busy day but it's not that hard to pay attention to who's been there a while.

The last time they didn't write Mrs Mc's roll requests down and stuffed that up resulting in me having to hear about it til halfway to Blanchetown, drinks are dear AF too.

The five minute drive into town to the proper Waikerie Bakery is definitely worth it.
Pag
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion