3%
Trinity OS
5%
West Croydon
22%

Total votes : 95

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 6 - 2018

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am

Old_mate21 wrote:clubs pay players for a service for the year, if players aren’t enjoying their time at a club and choose to leave after that year then what is the issue? If clubs pay a player and aren’t happy with them then they move them on. Works both ways.

This post pretty well sums up what is wrong with amateur/community sport these days!

Blokes like you who go around as “hired guns” chasing top dollar year to year, acting like you’re above the game and the level, and treating the game like it owes you something.

Blokes like you don’t give back to the game just take, take, take and leave it in no better state than when you arrived - actually regularly worse.

You ******* greedy, self centred primadonnas - you expect everything handed to you on a platter and on top of that you hold expectations for the clubs to bend over backwards and make your time more enjoyable!?

Get faaaaarked!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Informer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 am

How dear you expect a player to do any hard work at a club they say they love when there is a easier outlet they can follow. To ask them to do this for nothing is living in a dream world!
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Old_mate21 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 am

I can say for a FACT, the only reason I left a club was because I didn’t enjoy it except one time when the club was actually too far once I started a family. Just because you love a club and how things are off field it doesn’t mean everyone else will. Don’t let perception in get in the way of reality.

You have forty to fifty guys in a group and can’t expect them all to get along just because that’s what is ‘right’. Don’t sit there on your high horse commenting about what players are doing to ruin footy when your club is also actively recruiting and paying players. Payer playments have been around for over 20 years

I ask you, will you tell your son to do what makes him happy as he grows older or make him do something that he isn’t enjoying but what is ‘right’
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:45 am

Also Bedge, guess how many clubs I have rang in my career? 0

Guess how many clubs I went to because mates were there, all of them.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 am

Old_mate21 wrote:I can say for a FACT, the only reason I left a club was because I didn’t enjoy it except one time when the club was actually too far once I started a family. Just because you love a club and how things are off field it doesn’t mean everyone else will. Don’t let perception in get in the way of reality.

You have forty to fifty guys in a group and can’t expect them all to get along just because that’s what is ‘right’. Don’t sit there on your high horse commenting about what players are doing to ruin footy when your club is also actively recruiting and paying players. Payer playments have been around for over 20 years

I ask you, will you tell your son to do what makes him happy as he grows older or make him do something that he isn’t enjoying but what is ‘right’

You may well be the exception to the rule for how/why you arrive/leave clubs, but I can tell you it's becoming increasingly more common for players to dictate terms and pick and choose their battles - funny how they tend to "enjoy" the game more when they're in a side that's dominating.. how many of these guys train the house down regularly, attend club functions and invest back in the club? How many play because they genuinely love the game compared to receiving a pay packet or almost certain flag?

Yep Ingle Farm certainly is active in its recruiting and does try to offer very minimal incentives towards paying players - why? Because in this day and age, to bury your head in the sand and hope players come for the love, or stick through from juniors would be detrimental to your clubs development and would fall along way behind.

Loyalty is dead in footy, but doesn't mean we cant lament about it, and it doesn't make life any easier.

Player payments are far worse than ever before - everyone thinks they're entitled to something, even if they haven't earned it, and someone, somewhere will give them what they want.

Some conversations I've experienced over the summer to prove my point:

1) Ingle Farm Jnr, over 150 Jnr games, nearly 100 snr games, walks into meeting with a prepared letter of terms "I want $xx k or i'm leaving... xxx has offered me $xxx k " - He's gone.
2) U18 player at another club, played bit of B grade, contacts club, first comment "How much you gonna pay me?" - Didn't sign him.
3) A player from a club sits down, offer presented "Thanks for your offer, xx has offered me $xx a game and i'm waiting for xx to get back to me with their offer, I want $xx a game, but that's for making an offer." Didn't sign him.
4) Player trains, asked if he's interested in playing "I'll let ya know, waiting to see what offers I get from a couple other clubs first." - Didn't sign him.

It's hard for Ingle Farm also, because we are competing with Pooraka, Greenacres, Gepps Cross who have reasonable coin in very close proximity, then there is also Mawson Lakes and Para Hills within a stones throw, and Brahma Lodge, Modbury, TTG, Golden Grove not much further away.
Last edited by The Bedge on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

Old_mate21 wrote:Guess how many clubs I went to because mates were there, all of them.

So you financial incentive held no bearing over your decisions to play at Fitzroy and OSB?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:19 am

Old_mate21 wrote:I ask you, will you tell your son to do what makes him happy as he grows older or make him do something that he isn’t enjoying but what is ‘right’

Both. Of course in the first instance i'll tell him do what makes him happy, but if he makes a commitment in life whether that's sport, work, family then yes, he needs to see things through to a certain extent - not pack his bags and quit when things get hard and aren't enjoyable.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 am

The Bedge wrote:
Old_mate21 wrote:I ask you, will you tell your son to do what makes him happy as he grows older or make him do something that he isn’t enjoying but what is ‘right’

Both. Of course in the first instance i'll tell him do what makes him happy, but if he makes a commitment in life whether that's sport, work, family then yes, he needs to see things through to a certain extent - not pack his bags and quit when things get hard and aren't enjoyable.

Hows your numbers looking for a C Grade Bedge ?
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am

The Ash Man wrote:Hows your numbers looking for a C Grade Bedge ?

Probably better than A/B :lol:

Last count had almost 60 registered, and on paper appears we will have 3x full squads to begin the season - depth is a concern though, but we will still field 3x sides.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Old_mate21 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am

Alright let’s look at facts, I’ll give you an insight into why a player may make a decision.

Fitzroy 2015 I had played country footy for 10 years, my daughter was two I wanted to be closer to her and we just built a house at St Clair. I sat down with Fitzroy as I had good friends there. The club offered me $400 a game not once did I mention a number that is what they let me make sure you understand they as in the club offered me that.

OSB 2016 I was going to retire after how things transpired at Fitzroy. I met with Paul at ingle Farm because YOU contacted me and set up a meeting. I sat with Paul and said if I play I will play there and for free. Unfortunately this period also saw the breakdown of my marriage and that is when OSB rang me through a mate who was playing there, I met with them and they offered me $500 a game which was much needed at the time of the separation. I played the year there and the following year as well for much much less whilst also joining the committee.

It’s amazing to think that things outside of football may impact on a persons decision but hey that’s none of my business because what would I know. You guys have it all sorted and players are are always the problem. Maybe that is part of the problem clubs don’t take any ownership of the issues and that’s why clubs end up in trouble. Hopefully that’s honest enough for you Bedge.

So you will tell your son to stick to his commitment and see out his contract? Isn’t that what players do?
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am

Old_mate21 wrote:Alright let’s look at facts, I’ll give you an insight into why a player may make a decision.

Fitzroy 2015 I had played country footy for 10 years, my daughter was two I wanted to be closer to her and we just built a house at St Clair. I sat down with Fitzroy as I had good friends there. The club offered me $400 a game not once did I mention a number that is what they let me make sure you understand they as in the club offered me that.

OSB 2016 I was going to retire after how things transpired at Fitzroy. I met with Paul at ingle Farm because YOU contacted me and set up a meeting. I sat with Paul and said if I play I will play there and for free. Unfortunately this period also saw the breakdown of my marriage and that is when OSB rang me through a mate who was playing there, I met with them and they offered me $500 a game which was much needed at the time of the separation. I played the year there and the following year as well for much much less whilst also joining the committee.

It’s amazing to think that things outside of football may impact on a persons decision but hey that’s none of my business because what would I know. You guys have it all sorted and players are are always the problem. Maybe that is part of the problem clubs don’t take any ownership of the issues and that’s why clubs end up in trouble. Hopefully that’s honest enough for you Bedge.

So you will tell your son to stick to his commitment and see out his contract? Isn’t that what players do?

Wow! Can I ask, dis you get paid weekly or a lump sum at the end of the season?

I admire your straight shooting.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

I have always been paid weekly, some clubs obviously are different but everyone I have been to did it this way.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

Mate, that's you, and they're your facts. I'll admit some individuals probably have very legitimate reasons for their decisions - but not everyone is the same as you either, and if you think there isn't a large percentage of players running around with the sole purpose of getting the best $$ they can or winning a cheap flag, then you're incredibly naïve.

As a coach/footy department/club we are constantly reviewing and addressing issues and trying to find ways and means to make the place more appealing and inviting to players, and make them feel more welcome - don't think that clubs do not try to take ownership - the hours I would spend a week on contacting players, checking up that they're doing ok, being there if they want to chat about something, addressing their concerns etc would rival the hours I spend at work.

None the less, rightly or wrongly, clubs and people are still entitled to feel frustrated and disappointed when events transpire - like Greenacres dropping a division then losing their best half a dozen players to the club across the road.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Pag » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

Old_mate21 wrote:Alright let’s look at facts, I’ll give you an insight into why a player may make a decision.

Are you playing at Kilburn this year mate?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am

p.s. I still love ya Old Mate ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am

Love the insight and how candid you are both speaking
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am

Legitimately had no idea that kind of per game money was flowing through the lower divs. Mind blown.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Informer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

400 a game in Div 6, right there is whats wrong with amateur footy these days
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Old_mate21 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 am

I could go through my whole career and tell you why I left clubs. Not once because of money. The year I went to Fitzroy I was on double that the year before.
Never once did I say this doesn’t happen that people chase the best dollar they can get, but also you may not know the reasons they need that money. Also what about the clubs who say something to recruit a player which turns out to be a lie? Where did Greenacres recruit those players from? Maybe clubs should ring up a potential players previous club just to let them know they are trying to take their player. Oh that’s right the clubs will look after their own interest but how dare a player. Clubs will lie to their own supporter base about payments to keep them happy but hey expect transparency from everyone else.

Yeah Pag have gone back to Kilburn this year for $0 too Bedge just in case you were wondering.

I still love you too mate.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby Nichdanmatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am

$400 a game for this level is absolutely ridiculous,problem is i am hearing there are several clubs in this div paying that,cannot believe it.
Nichdanmatt
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: West Croydon

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League