The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Love Laird's passion for the league.

I think he should seriously consider getting involved at SANFL headquarters once he decides to step away from coaching.

He would make a great SANFL President.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Love Laird's passion for the league.

I think he should seriously consider getting involved at SANFL headquarters once he decides to step away from coaching.

LOL, no chance the private school boys clubs would allow that, Roy doesn't wear the right tie!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Love Laird's passion for the league.

Pfft he’s not a YES man so he’d never get on the board.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

The same reason Gary Metcalf wasn’t “allowed” on the SANFL board - they were shit scared of him too.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Absolutely no chance someone who puts the SANFL clubs and their needs first will ever get on the SANFL board.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Grenville » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

whufc wrote:Absolutely no chance someone who puts the SANFL clubs and their needs first will ever get on the SANFL board.

Gillon wouldn't allow it for starters. They much rather crooks like Olsen or sycophants like Chris Davies.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:23 pm

I loves that Rowey mentions it at 5.55pm.....and at the start calls Roy....Rory...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:28 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I loves that Rowey mentions it at 5.55pm.....and at the start calls Roy....Rory...

He mentioned it around 440 also
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 pm

MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I loves that Rowey mentions it at 5.55pm.....and at the start calls Roy....Rory...

He mentioned it around 440 also
Oops. A rare time for me to working...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Rowey stands up for the SANFL comp & it’s integrity but has been “silenced” since he said the AFL reserves need to leave the comp.
Bickley, lol, he’s just a Crows happy clapper.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Spargo wrote:Rowey stands up for the SANFL comp & it’s integrity but has been “silenced” since he said the AFL reserves need to leave the comp.
Bickley, lol, he’s just a Crows happy clapper.

Bickley....everytime this argument comes around he just thinks that the AFL reserves are the saviours of the SANFL....might see if I can get through.....
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby darley16 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

Love that Roy Laird, great coach and representative of his club and is voicing what we the "great unheard" are thinking and saying but can't be heard in the AFL obsessed media or by a belligerent and gutless SANFL administration.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 am

One comment of Laird's surprises me a little, for some who thinks as he does,

Our Clubs must think outside the square in promoting and building new revenue streams

Does he not think the clubs are, have and will always be doing that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

Rory Lard for president
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am

Booney wrote:One comment of Laird's surprises me a little, for some who thinks as he does,

Our Clubs must think outside the square in promoting and building new revenue streams

I'm sure the clubs think they are.
I think all organisations must continue to do this, even if they think they are.
Progress is better than perfection.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby wild dog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:One comment of Laird's surprises me a little, for some who thinks as he does,

I think all organisations must continue to do this, even if they think they are.

He mentioned in his letter "Laird over the top comments" thus he is aware that perception exists. He is acknowledging his detractors repeated sentiment that "we will fix this all up if we think outside the square and find new revenue streams" i.e. he is trying to find some common ground in his thoughtful correspondence. The trouble is his detractors - the elite schooled interbred halfwits who label themselves corporate, political or community leaders - are dismissing the bleeding obvious. If we did think outside of the square, we would be independent of the AFL and make the SANFL a genuine alternative to the current over controlled, corporatised myopic competition that the AFL is.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 pm

wild dog wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

He mentioned in his letter "Laird over the top comments" thus he is aware that perception exists. He is acknowledging his detractors repeated sentiment that "we will fix this all up if we think outside the square and find new revenue streams" i.e. he is trying to find some common ground in his thoughtful correspondence. The trouble is his detractors - the elite schooled interbred halfwits who label themselves corporate, political or community leaders - are dismissing the bleeding obvious. If we did think outside of the square, we would be independent of the AFL and make the SANFL a genuine alternative to the current over controlled, corporatised myopic competition that the AFL is.

There's one income stream that works for all sporting codes, sponsorship, but that relies on exposure and with the lack of exposure our competition gets on television and radio means sponsors are walking away in droves.

Maybe getting some actual dedicated media coverage of the competition is the "outside the square" stuff Roy is referring too?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 pm

What, like radio?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Hazydog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

SANFL says AFL mid-year draft and trade period will hurt local leagues

Warren Partland, The Advertiser

Norwood chief executive James Fantasia has vehemently spoken out against a mid-season AFL draft and claims the negative impact on the game far outweighs any positives for its introduction.

Fantasia said no one begrudged a player’s good fortune in getting an opportunity on the national stage, but he is adamant strong state leagues are critical for the health of the game.

And he is worried a team could miss out on a premiership because of a mid-season decision by an AFL club.

While Fantasia said the Redlegs were bitterly opposed to including state league players in a mid-season draft, he has backed player trades between AFL clubs.

“A mid-season draft could have such a negative affect on a team which equates to financial stability,” Fantasia said. “The impact on what happens at (SANFL) club level is so much greater than the positives for an AFL club.

“This is not about trying to block a career pathway. When a player gets drafted at the end of the year they go with the club’s blessing. But we get an opportunity to replace the player.

“We cannot just worry about under 18 football and the AFL and have a void between them.

“What is critical for the betterment of the game is to have strong state leagues and diminishing them will impact on the game long term.”

The return of a mid-season draft has again raised its head and could be implemented as early as June in a huge blow for state leagues.

Fantasia is well versed to discuss the subject, having had lengthy stints in the AFL in recruiting and management roles.

“It could derail a club’s season,” he said. “Imagine Central District last year losing Nick Holman mid-season and the impact that would have had.”

The Bulldogs lost Tony Lynn to Carlton when a mid-season draft existed in 1994, two years following his club best and fairest award win and the season after being best on ground for South Australia against Western Australia.

Bulldogs chief executive Kris Grant said the loss of Lynn midway through the season deflated enthusiasm at the club.

“There needs to be more consideration for competitions below the AFL and losing one of your best players in the middle of the season has a massive impact, as we know only too well,” he said.

“There are other factors not being considered. The player could be someone we have found a job for, which is not easy.

“All of a sudden the player is gone and that would be frustrating for the employer who could be lost to the club.”

The SANFL, concerned with any change which could disrupt clubs’ lists during the season, has yet to discuss a mid-season draft with the AFL.

“There is a great deal of investment in resource, time and energy, by volunteers, members, players, coaches and staff, that goes into building a list and positioning for success,’’ SANFL general manager football Adam Kelly said.

“While SANFL clubs are invested in both on field success and providing a pathway to the AFL, we would be opposed to disruption during the season.”
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Maybe a break away league!

He makes an excellent point about kids that get delisted from the AFL system and the issues that come along with that, you would think the AFLPA would love the SANFL to be a strong 2nd tier comp without AFL influence so it could cater for those spat out of the back of the system and also provide a stable environment for them to either get back to the AFL or integrate back into "normal" society.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL