Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:55 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:On the above I really liked Hansie Cronje as a player and captain. He was a scapegoat for what went on world wide in that era and into this day do feel for him somewhat. Also rated Alan Donald very highly (Donald in my opinion was heavily involved with match fixing in that 99 WC Semi Final however I strongly suspect).

I've always been told that I look like Pete Sampras and Hansie Cronle, a few years ago there was a flashback game on the the TV during a rain interruption and my son pointed and said "dad, you're on the TV!" He legitimately thought it was me.

I admired his grit and determination and was very disappointed with the findings.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 am

Cronje was a handy test bat at best, but was a decent captain before he was on the take. Only averaged 36 with 6 hundreds in 68 tests. Didn't like the short stuff and his aggressive strokeplay at times was more down to an attitude of hit or be hit. He averaged a very credible 38 in ODI's and we all watched a lot more 50 over cricket back then and sometimes our memories of a batsman's true ability are clouded by the coloured clothes stuff. Michael Bevan probably still makes the greatest ODI Team of all-time but didn't like anything bouncing above his waist hence why he failed as a test bat.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am

Down the Hill wrote:Cronje was a handy test bat at best, but was a decent captain before he was on the take. Only averaged 36 with 6 hundreds in 68 tests. Didn't like the short stuff and his aggressive strokeplay at times was more down to an attitude of hit or be hit. He averaged a very credible 38 in ODI's and we all watched a lot more 50 over cricket back then and sometimes our memories of a batsman's true ability are clouded by the coloured clothes stuff. Michael Bevan probably still makes the greatest ODI Team of all-time but didn't like anything bouncing above his waist hence why he failed as a test bat.

And struck at 74, put himself and his average ahead of his team many a time, managed to save the day a couple of times and that's what the general public remember.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Cronje was a handy test bat at best, but was a decent captain before he was on the take. Only averaged 36 with 6 hundreds in 68 tests. Didn't like the short stuff and his aggressive strokeplay at times was more down to an attitude of hit or be hit. He averaged a very credible 38 in ODI's and we all watched a lot more 50 over cricket back then and sometimes our memories of a batsman's true ability are clouded by the coloured clothes stuff. Michael Bevan probably still makes the greatest ODI Team of all-time but didn't like anything bouncing above his waist hence why he failed as a test bat.

And struck at 74, put himself and his average ahead of his team many a time, managed to save the day a couple of times and that's what the general public remember.

I couldn't stand Bevan, the protection of his average was clearly evident and smacks of selfishness...

Though I'm and England fan and I'm sure he hurt us on more than one occassion, bastard. :)
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Computer Crashed wrote:Warner is knob, end of story, agree with you all.
I'm sick of him.
Sledge him all you like just don't mention his mum, wife & children.....

I agree with that except when you act like a self righteous flog day in and day out..........you lose any rights you have with sledging.
This day was always going to come.......shit I’m surprised no one has mentioned it previously.

Maybe Warner might pull his head in now and shut the **** up for once.

Regardless of what was said, even if it was personal, Warner being restrained as he had to be by team mates was a very ordinary look and we can reasonably assume if he wasn't held back it would have got physical. Shows his mentality.

Show's his maturity. Or lack of. Who on here would seriously get into a physical altercation with someone if they made a comment about your mum or wife / girl friend? Come on we're living in the 21st century. I remember when I was 13 and if someone told me a "Mumma Joke" it was on at lunch time. Now a days it's like who can come up with the funniest "Mumma" joke or something else that's vile and disgusting but makes everyone laugh. I reckon taking the piss out of the opposition is the first way to get their minds of the game. Have a laugh and let it go.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I disagree, he played a role batting at 5 or 6 that saw one end held together while the tail added valuable runs at times.

His skill wasn't just on display when we chased down runs late, he often held an end up ( going at 74 ) while valuable runs were added at the other end when we batted first allowing us to build a total to bowl at.

Me, I think he's a little harshly judged.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I disagree, he played a role batting at 5 or 6 that saw one end held together while the tail added valuable runs at times.

His skill wasn't just on display when we chased down runs late, he often held an end up ( going at 74 ) while valuable runs were added at the other end when we batted first allowing us to build a total to bowl at.

Agree.

I reckon he also had to protect the tail a fair bit as well. He didn't have the luxury of blokes like Cummins and Starc coming in at 8 and 9. The guys I remember then were the likes of Warne, Gillespie (good tail batsmen in tests not so much ODI) Kasprowichz, Andy Bichel who didn't offer a whole lot with the bat. 5/190-200 could easily have been 220-230 all out.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Bevan was a good player but you’d take Mike Hussey at No. 6 any day of the week over Bevan.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

K
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby northerner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:49 am

My take on warner v dekock...
Warners over-reaction was unhinged and out of proportion.
DeKock lied about what was said and backed away from his role.
Both got what they deserved.

Otis Gibson is spot on when he talks of "where is the line?" According to warners logic.. calling someone an effen sook aint personal but dont mention the missus... some one else mt think part a is personal and pt b is fine.

Reminds me a great Eddie Brandis (Zimbabwe) sledge to Pidge.
PIDGE... Why are you so fat Eddie?
BRANDIS... Cos everytime I make love with ur missus she gives me a cookie.

All of the Aussie fielders ensuing laughter added to Pidges discomforture...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Has been raining at Pt Elizabeth. Smith won the toss and we are batting.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Appears to be a brave call to bat first.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm

0/11
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 pm

northerner wrote:My take on warner v dekock...
Warners over-reaction was unhinged and out of proportion.
DeKock lied about what was said and backed away from his role.
Both got what they deserved.

Otis Gibson is spot on when he talks of "where is the line?" According to warners logic.. calling someone an effen sook aint personal but dont mention the missus... some one else mt think part a is personal and pt b is fine.

Reminds me a great Eddie Brandis (Zimbabwe) sledge to Pidge.
PIDGE... Why are you so fat Eddie?
BRANDIS... Cos everytime I make love with ur missus she gives me a cookie.

All of the Aussie fielders ensuing laughter added to Pidges discomforture...

Eddo, and I'm pretty sure he used the word f**k.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Morkel dropped for Ngidi
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Morkel dropped for Ngidi
Interesting decision to drop him after the one match but understandable. Says alot when it's his last series, playing test matches are earnt not giving, doesn't matter who it is.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Kiss of death here... Aussies batting well 0/40.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Lol.
Warner hits a 4 through point so Faf pulls first slip and sends him to deep point. And the very next ball is duly nicked through the vacant slip
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:Lol.
Warner hits a 4 through point so Faf pulls first slip and sends him to deep point. And the very next ball is duly nicked through the vacant slip
*Third
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Didn’t the scoring accelerate from nowhere
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket