Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Great to see it announced that every team has a full suite of juniors ensuring the junior draw matches the senior draw for the first time since when?

5 games on a Saturday at each venue, great opportunity strengthen the league even further.
I have the feeling it might have been 1986

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Great initiative by Christies to develop their I League Team. Great forward thinking and great community initiative. Well done to all involved.
For those not aware, here's a link. I hope this is the first of many.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf-rRhIl23L/
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Demon fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm

spot on wrote:I see another Emus player has lodged a clearance to Macclesfield, Rhys Reynolds, Dennis Iljesan must be a good recruiter, that's 5 now (including himself).

Add another to the list, im going to guess the mass exodus isnt money related.
Demon fan
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby scottroo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 pm

33 outs!!!
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

scottroo wrote:33 outs!!!

Settle down scottroo. The clearance list can be misleading without taking a closer look. I counted at least 10 which were either SANFL or SFL clearance/permit. All players who are in SANFL club squads from U18 and above now need a clearance to the SANFL club and then they get a Permit back to their local club if they are still likely to play games for their local club. Plus the SANFL U16 lads still get put on permits to play in the SANFL U16 comp which also show up on the clearance page. And the SFL ones would have been permits for those lads that played in the game v GSFL down at Strath a couple of weeks back. Having said that, 20 plus outs is still considerable.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby spot on » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

Down the Hill wrote:

Settle down scottroo. The clearance list can be misleading without taking a closer look. I counted at least 10 which were either SANFL or SFL clearance/permit. All players who are in SANFL club squads from U18 and above now need a clearance to the SANFL club and then they get a Permit back to their local club if they are still likely to play games for their local club. Plus the SANFL U16 lads still get put on permits to play in the SANFL U16 comp which also show up on the clearance page. And the SFL ones would have been permits for those lads that played in the game v GSFL down at Strath a couple of weeks back. Having said that, 20 plus outs is still considerable.

5 of them are girls also.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Front & Centre » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am

Dutchy wrote:Great to see it announced that every team has a full suite of juniors ensuring the junior draw matches the senior draw for the first time since when?

5 games on a Saturday at each venue, great opportunity strengthen the league even further.

Agree Dutchy
As much as we all criticise the SFL they need to be congratulated on this
It is what the SFL has been built on and what we have all wanted
Bring on round 1
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am

Down the Hill wrote:

Come on DTH, this is SAFooty.net - don't put facts in the way of rumour and innuendo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jet-airport » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Front & Centre wrote:

Agree Dutchy
As much as we all criticise the SFL they need to be congratulated on this
It is what the SFL has been built on and what we have all wanted
Bring on round 1

I wouldn't be so sure gents, its one thing to nominate a full quota of 5 sides 5 weeks out from round 1, its another to fill them week in week out for 16 weeks.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Come on DTH, this is SAFooty.net - don't put facts in the way of rumour and innuendo.

Morphett Vale have clearly had a tough off-season but some people are seemingly taking some joy out of it and I just wanted to put the whole clearance and transfer page into perspective. For the same reason as stated above, the "transfer out" list is even longer for Flagstaff Hill, Happy Valley and Reynella. Still some negatives about whether all clubs will be able to sustain the full set of 5 Saturday teams but you can only go with what teams have committed to at this point in time so things are looking positive. The only concern will be 2 or 3 clubs dominating the junior grades in the immediate future and what impact this will have on player retention at the other clubs.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby afc9798 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Morphett Vale have clearly had a tough off-season but some people are seemingly taking some joy out of it and I just wanted to put the whole clearance and transfer page into perspective. For the same reason as stated above, the "transfer out" list is even longer for Flagstaff Hill, Happy Valley and Reynella. Still some negatives about whether all clubs will be able to sustain the full set of 5 Saturday teams but you can only go with what teams have committed to at this point in time so things are looking positive. The only concern will be 2 or 3 clubs dominating the junior grades in the immediate future and what impact this will have on player retention at the other clubs.

There are 13 player movements from Happy Valley, outside of SANFL team transfers, SFL representation and temp permits to make up numbers, and no regular A grade player among those 13 from what I can see listed. The list looks long because all of our junior girls have transferred to the SANFL junior program this season (36 of them).

But the point you make is correct in that a lot of people take joy in tearing down a club. We have learnt all too well over the past few seasons and seen many reveling in our situation at senior level. Strong clubs make for a sound competition, so I personally take no joy out of seeing any club going through tough times. I'm sure Morphett Vale will turn it around quickly.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

What are SFL clubs doing for trials? heard Shoes and playing Hahndorf.

Flaggies head to McLaren this week for 15's 17's an a 6 quarter senior trial followed full grades against Goody Saints and Blackwood.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:What are SFL clubs doing for trials? heard Shoes and playing Hahndorf.

Flaggies head to McLaren this week for 15's 17's an a 6 quarter senior trial followed full grades against Goody Saints and Blackwood.

MVale this wend then Willunga then Hahndorf .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:What are SFL clubs doing for trials? heard Shoes and playing Hahndorf.

Kangarilla then Langhorne Creek. Both at HVFC I think.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby jet-airport » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

afc9798 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

How is the new coach going at Valley's AFC?
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby afc9798 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 am

jet-airport wrote:
afc9798 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

How is the new coach going at Valley's AFC?

From everything I've heard it's been a very positive move. I'm not part of the hierarchy, so not sure what they think, but have not heard anything negative from anyone involved. Usually you hear a lot more when people are unhappy. Season proper will obviously be the test!
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Anyone heard from Aldinga?

Must be some concerns considering they lost its best player Boreham to Edwardstown. If Harman gets injured could be a long season with only wins last season against Marion and Lonsdale and one against Happy Valley but can't see them repeating that with Happy Valley on the up?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby retiredhack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm

I see on the SFL Facebook page they posted the C Grade program. Having a look from the 2017 teams it appears no second Reynella team and no Morphett Vale and also Hackham now have 2 teams... Cove have no C grade side either, i am sure they have had one in recent times too
retiredhack
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby One-percenters » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Anyone heard from Aldinga?

Must be some concerns considering they lost its best player Boreham to Edwardstown. If Harman gets injured could be a long season with only wins last season against Marion and Lonsdale and one against Happy Valley but can't see them repeating that with Happy Valley on the up?

Have heard a rumour that Harman may not be playing either
One-percenters
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby lion heart » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Anyone heard from Aldinga?

Harman is a way better player than Boreham and I heard he will be playing up in Roxby again this year. Not good news for the Sharks.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale