SANFL competition review

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL competition review

Postby PhilH » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 pm

SANFL to review state league competition and pathways

WARREN PARTLAND, The Advertiser
March 14, 2018 4:28pm

The rapidly changing landscape of Australian rules football has prompted the SANFL to have an extensive review of the state league.

While the boundaries of the review have yet to be determined, a committee comprising representatives of the clubs and football commission will be established to take responsibility for the undertaking.

The SANFL is seeking submissions from the clubs on what they want considered and there is no time frame for the review to be concluded before any recommendations are revealed.

With the escalating growth of women’s football, more emphasis on junior programs and business models changing substantially for clubs, the SANFL believes a review of competitions and pathways is a must.

And the need for such an initiative was emphasised by a similar venture by the WAFL last year.

SANFL general manager football Adam Kelly said the review would be extensive and will involve months of work, not weeks.

“In recent years, especially with the advent of women’s football and female pathways, there has been a lot happening,” Kelly said. “We have been trying to keep pace with changes in football and have probably not had a period of time where we can have somebody have a look at what has been business as usual.

“Most SANFL clubs have a women’s team and are running under 14 and under 17 female talent shields. They are doing development work for juniors from 13 through to 18 so there is a lot happening which was not happening three or four years ago.

“There have been a lot of changes, but we have not taken time to sit back and look at what is the clubs’ point of view, what do the competitions and pathways need to be, are they resourced effectively, and is there another way we can be doing this.

“We have got this opportunity in front of us now while the clubs have got all these questions they want answered about the future of the competition and pathways, we can do the review and set us up for the future.”

Kelly noted some of the resources vital to the clubs, especially gaming revenue, had dipped yet they were still trying to fund programs to the same level and that was causing a massive strain.

He said part of the review would be to discuss what football was going to look like in the future given the commission had been able to address debt reduction.

“We definitely see no reason to be negative about our future.”
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Re: SANFL competition review

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Summary:

We're going to keep ignoring the SANFL and promote the women's league which no-one watches.

Genius. :roll:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 pm

I got this in reply to a question I asked about broadcasting by email recently.
You can listen to matches live on digital radio or purchase a norwood digital pass which will allow you to watch all games live.
Kind Regards,
Tom Hurley
Football Operations Manager

Pity I can't get digital radio in my car - or at home unless I plug into a rooftop antenna - I'm on the wrong side of a hill!
And of course I can't use the digital pass if I'm not home - not enough data on my phone plan and not worth upgrading that for.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby southee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Usually yearly BS spilled out by the SANFL on "how things will change"and "we will listen to you".....stock standard stuff really. :?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 pm

SANFL to review state league competition and pathways
While the boundaries of the review have yet to be determined, a committee comprising representatives of the clubs and football commission will be established to take responsibility for the undertaking.

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 pm

PhilH wrote:The SANFL is seeking submissions from the clubs on what they want considered and there is no time frame for the review to be concluded before any recommendations are revealed.

I look forward to my club continuing its tradition of making submissions on the future of SANFL football and its place in it without a skerrick of consultation with its membership base.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby o five » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Magellan wrote:
PhilH wrote:The SANFL is seeking submissions from the clubs on what they want considered and there is no time frame for the review to be concluded before any recommendations are revealed.

I look forward to my club continuing its tradition of making submissions on the future of SANFL football and its place in it without a skerrick of consultation with its membership base.

And then to announce there will be a meeting to discuss the findings of the review with the members and that 99% of it is confidential :roll:
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

SANFL competition review

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Sounding more and more like the AFL reserves comp will be running next year so hopefully this is the last season of putting up with them in the SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby BZB27 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Damian Barrett just said on the footy show that next year will see an 18 team reserves comp so looks like its a go.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:Sounding more and more like the AFL reserves comp will be running next year so hopefully this is the last season of putting up with them in the SANFL

Jim, are you suggesting there is hope?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 pm

BZB27 wrote:Damian Barrett just said on the footy show that next year will see an 18 team reserves comp so looks like its a go.

There will also be mid-season drafting. Whilst it might exclude state league clubs, I'll bet it doesn't stay that way
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby beef » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 am

Jim05 wrote:Sounding more and more like the AFL reserves comp will be running next year so hopefully this is the last season of putting up with them in the SANFL

Then everyone will whinge when every good sanfl player is taken as a top up player for afl reserves sides. But everyone will be happy because integrity will be back but quality will be worse and the afl reserves will now be considered the 2nd best comp and it will be even harder to recruit.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am

beef wrote:But everyone will be happy because integrity will be back

Yes. I think most of us close to the SANFL just want the integrity of the comp restored above all else.

beef wrote:but quality will be worse and the afl reserves will now be considered the 2nd best comp and it will be even harder to recruit.

The mid-season draft is likely to have this kind of effect, but I'm not sure how an AFL reserves comp running parallel to the senior comp will be able to coax players when those teams will only play players who are on that clubs' list - unless of course there's a top up player system imposed as you suggest. Time on this point will tell.

A more integral SANFL that got it's shit together (hard to fathom,yes, I know) could arrest the drain by adopting a policy of attracting back former SANFL and discarded AFL players better than it does now, because whilst a stand-alone reserves comp may take more players, the AFL will also chew up and spit out players with football talent just as fast, and they'll need and want to have somewhere decent to play.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am

I think we should start a ‘Never Ending AFL in the SANFL Whinge Thread” thread in readiness
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 am

A competition that has integrity plus its own interpretation of the rules. Not just the interpretation from AFL House.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby the joker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

If Port and Crows leave the SANFL after this year, what will it mean for the sanfl? A 8 team comp, that will be pilfered from for the AFL reserves comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 am

the joker wrote:If Port and Crows leave the SANFL after this year, what will it mean for the sanfl? A 8 team comp, that will be pilfered from for the AFL reserves comp.

Doesn't each AFL club already have a reserves team, and a sufficient depth to fill it? I'm not sure where the extra 'pilfering' will come from, short of top-ups and whatever mid-season draft system is imposed.

If true, it means the end of what should be known in time as the SANFL's 'black years.' It will provide for an integral comp, which is what everyone who gives a shit about the SANFL wants more than anything else.
Magellan
Coach

Postby the joker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

Magellan wrote:
the joker wrote:If Port and Crows leave the SANFL after this year, what will it mean for the sanfl? A 8 team comp, that will be pilfered from for the AFL reserves comp.

Doesn't each AFL club already have a reserves team, and a sufficient depth to fill it? I'm not sure where the extra 'pilfering' will come from, short of top-ups and whatever mid-season draft system is imposed.

If true, it means the end of what should be known in time as the SANFL's 'black years.' It will provide for an integral comp, which is what everyone who gives a shit about the SANFL wants more than anything else.
not all Victorian clubs have a reserves side. And crows and port have recruited their reserves from country and The SAAFL, but now they will look to recruit the 20 to 25 year old from the SANFL.

the joker
Assistant Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 am

the joker wrote:
Magellan wrote:

not all Victorian clubs have a reserves side. And crows and port have recruited their reserves from country and The SAAFL, but now they will look to recruit the 20 to 25 year old from the SANFL.

True, but the SANFL's not the only state league in Australia, though.
Magellan
Coach

Postby the joker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 am

Magellan wrote:
the joker wrote:
Magellan wrote:

True, but the SANFL's not the only state league in Australia, though.
yeah understand that. Going to be an interesting few months and years for the state league

the joker
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL