The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 am

The AFL was always going to introduce a reserves competition as some stage it was just a matter of when.

I'm excited that the SANFL will no longer have the AFL teams involved in the competition.

I think this is a great opportunity for the SANFL to once again market itself as its own league without AFL involvement and could potentially bring disgruntled supporters back to clubs.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby RB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am

UK Fan wrote:Sanfl has two choices:

One : not allow afl reserves games to be played in sa

Two: ask for 1 million a year for afl reserves to be played in Sa

Up to you Gill

Don't see why anyone would be opposed to them playing reserves games in SA? So longer as the intruders **** off from the SANFL, I couldn't care less where or when they played.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby beef » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 am

Panther Pack wrote:The AFL was always going to introduce a reserves competition as some stage it was just a matter of when.

I'm excited that the SANFL will no longer have the AFL teams involved in the competition.

I think this is a great opportunity for the SANFL to once again market itself as its own league without AFL involvement and could potentially bring disgruntled supporters back to clubs.

Its the next generation that will kill off the SANFL. No one under 25 really follows it now unless they know someone playing. No port or crows will mean no interest from kids and now they can see their reserve players before the league game they have no reason to look at the sanfl. Where are top up players coming from or if they increase list size. Standard will drop then even less interest from younger fans
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

beef wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:The AFL was always going to introduce a reserves competition as some stage it was just a matter of when.

Its the next generation that will kill off the SANFL. No one under 25 really follows it now unless they know someone playing. No port or crows will mean no interest from kids and now they can see their reserve players before the league game they have no reason to look at the sanfl. Where are top up players coming from or if they increase list size. Standard will drop then even less interest from younger fans

True point about the lack of kids' interest, although Port and Crows kids are not flocking to watch the up and coming players in the SANFL. This is ultimately a policy question for the SANFL and clubs to work out how and where to position itself. It's probably it's most challenging task going forward.

The SANFL comp may dissolve, weaken, or even die in time. So be it, better to die on its feet than live in its knees.

You know, there could even be spot available for Carlton to join the SANFL if they continue their perpetual lapse into irrelevance. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby beef » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 am

Magellan wrote:
beef wrote:

True point about the lack of kids' interest, although Port and Crows kids are not flocking to watch the up and coming players in the SANFL. This is ultimately a policy question for the SANFL and clubs to work out how and where to position itself. It's probably it's most challenging task going forward.

The SANFL comp may dissolve, weaken, or even die in time. So be it, better to die on its feet than live in its knees.

You know, there could even be spot available for Carlton to join the SANFL if they continue their perpetual lapse into irrelevance. ;)

Only if i can read 400 pages of no Carlton in the SANFL
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 am

beef wrote:

Really it is like any football club most people get involved if they have family or friends either playing or supporting the club. This is what happens at country clubs and amateur clubs. SANFL clubs need to offer great family membership packages that way people continue to bring their children along.
This is also why I don't believe the SANFL should get rid of the reserves comp as every reserve player has family or friends that come along to the ground.
One disadvantage to interstate recruits is they don't bring anyone through the gate as generally they don't know anyone in SA, where a local lad will have his family and friends come and watch him.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am

beef wrote:
Magellan wrote:
beef wrote:

Only if i can read 400 pages of no Carlton in the SANFL

Start the thread, you've got some work ahead of you, but anything's possible. Time to get typing!

Anyway, Carlton would still be scarred form their last foray in SANFL circles when they coughed up a Championship of Australia to North Adelaide. On that basis, clearly not up to snuff to join the comp. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 am

Perhaps SANFL clubs will increase their participation in school visits etc. On top of the wonderful auskick promos they do.

Anyone hear Ruccis dummy spit at Roy's open letter on wednesday arvo??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:19 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Anyone hear Ruccis dummy spit at Roy's open letter on wednesday arvo??

Well, I heard a sound that resembled a slow, wet fart - was that it?
Magellan
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Anyone hear Ruccis dummy spit at Roy's open letter on wednesday arvo??

Is that the bit about "Centrals need to stop being part of the problem?".
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:26 am

Kahuna wrote:

Is that the bit about "Centrals need to stop being part of the problem?".
Something along the lines of
'We know what the problems are Roy, we need solutions blah blah blah....and all i hear from Centrals is whinge, whinge, whinge

But Centrals to their credit (with South) voted against it....they can whinge as much as they like.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 am

RB wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Sanfl has two choices:

One : not allow afl reserves games to be played in sa

Two: ask for 1 million a year for afl reserves to be played in Sa

Up to you Gill

Don't see why anyone would be opposed to them playing reserves games in SA? So longer as the intruders **** off from the SANFL, I couldn't care less where or when they played.

What’s in it for us ???? They leave we lose a $400k Grant each year as a start.

Apart from potentially taking away sponsors/fans who attend safooty now.

if they want to break a 15 year contract 4 years in. Make us a deal/compensation package worth OUR while or crows/power your Reserves can play all games interstate.
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby MW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 am

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am

What makes you think the SANFL would have any say UK Fan? The sanfl don’t own anything that an AFL reserves team would need to operate.

The games would be played as curtain raisers
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby VALE PARK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am

How great will it be 21 games in 21 weeks of rounds.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am

bennymacca wrote:What makes you think the SANFL would have any say UK Fan? The sanfl don’t own anything that an AFL reserves team would need to operate.

Just when I thought I was understanding their plight, they come out with statements like that Benny! :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 am

MW wrote:
bennymacca wrote:What makes you think the SANFL would have any say UK Fan? The sanfl don’t own anything that an AFL reserves team would need to operate.

Just when I thought I was understanding their plight, they come out with statements like that Benny! :lol:

To be fair the rest of them shouldn’t be tarred with the UK fan brush
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 pm

The fact the sanfl is the controlling Body of all football within sa.

You want to start a brand new football league and play games within sa. You will need the controlling body of sa footballs approval.

Der!!!!!

Why do you think the sanfl had to vote the afl clubs into our league. Why didn’t the afl just state this is what is happening.

No authority maybe !!

Whose going to provide umpires. Afl going to fly them interstate for a curtain raiser ??
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Not all Benny. Have heard initially looking at about 50/50 at this stage. Port obviously would play at Alberton but the Crows would need to possibly rent a ground. Wouldn’t be surprised if they look at Norwood once the new clubrooms are done as their Women are pretty much based out of there otherwise Thebby?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Not all Benny. Have heard initially looking at about 50/50 at this stage. Port obviously would play at Alberton but the Crows would need to possibly rent a ground. Wouldn’t be surprised if they look at Norwood once the new clubrooms are done as their Women are pretty much based out of there otherwise Thebby?

Correct.

They are going to play a curtain raiser in China are they ???

All of them will be curtain raisers. Seriously finger on the pulse much

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL