The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 pm

MW wrote:You want me to research your own opinions for you? That's lazy...

Is this good enough for you.

https://au.linkedin.com/company/south-a ... all-league
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Lazy. You’ve sat back and said I don’t believe you and produced nothing to refute but your own useless opinion.

Which if there is one thing you have proven today is you don’t get it. It’s been quoted by multiple posters.

Crows fans and what they think they are entitled to.

Self absorbed clueless.....
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Is there a suggestion that the SANFL has a monopoly on playing/authorising Australian rules football in South Australia?

Anyone suggesting that is insane.

If I get 36 mates together and go to an oval I need no authorisation. Ditto if I get 200 more and form my own league.

Obviously I don't have the logistic capacity to do this, the AFL bloody does though.

How do you all think World Series Cricket occurred?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Even if the SANFL purported to have the powers UK Fan asserts they'd almost certainly be invalid per the anti competitive conduct provisions in the Competition And Consumer Law Act
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:17 pm

jo172 wrote:Even if the SANFL purported to have the powers UK Fan asserts they'd almost certainly be invalid per the anti competitive conduct provisions in the Competition And Consumer Law Act

If ???

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

jo172 wrote:Is there a suggestion that the SANFL has a monopoly on playing/authorising Australian rules football in South Australia?

If I get 36 mates together and go to an oval I need no authorisation. Ditto if I get 200 more and form my own league.

Obviously I don't have the logistic capacity to do this, the AFL bloody does though.

Do you know what a governing body means ???

Why didn’t the afl just start a team in 1987 like they wanted to then ??? Sanfl wouldn’t allow it maybe and their hands were tied possibly
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm

So you really think the SANFL authorise the AFL clubs to play games in SA and it has nothing to do with the AFL?

Is the AFL not a governing body too?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby MW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 pm

UK Fan wrote:

Lazy. You’ve sat back and said I don’t believe you and produced nothing to refute but your own useless opinion.

Which if there is one thing you have proven today is you don’t get it. It’s been quoted by multiple posters.

Crows fans and what they think they are entitled to.

Self absorbed clueless.....

I said i don't acknowledge wiki articles as evidence.
Clueless
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:26 pm

UK Fan wrote:
jo172 wrote:Is there a suggestion that the SANFL has a monopoly on playing/authorising Australian rules football in South Australia?

Do you know what a governing body means ???

Yes, it doesn't mean they own the intellectual property in the sport and the exclusive right to play it.

Do you accept as a basic premise that the Australian Cricket Board of Control was the governing body of Australian Cricket at the time of World Series Cricket?

As a more fundamental basis absent the consent of the person's purporting to be governed how does a governing body goverm?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

UK Fan, to put it at a bit of a simpler level (which I suspect may be necessary) tomorrow Payneham! Norwood Union and Tanunda are playing a trial match at Port Wakefield.

I can assure you that this has been solely organised between the two clubs and neither the SANFL nor any affiliated leagues permission has been sought or granted.

Is your view that one or all of the parties mentioned above is in breach of the SANFL'S right as "governing body" capable of injunctive remedy?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Groucho » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Booney wrote:I guess I just think be careful what you wish for.

Rucci is that you? :lol:
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:36 am

Booney wrote:I asked my lad.

9 AFL games, 1 in Melbourne, 2 SANFL games, although he says he can't remember one as we got on it in the bowling club.

Here’s a good example for everyone because Booney is correct, the issue is the younger generation and their interest in the SANFL.
There’s 3 of us that live together in my household, all early -mid 20’s. I went to 4 games I think last year, one of the others came to 1, the other none. We all play and love footy. We live and breathe it. If I went to our local footy club today and asked our playing group the question, you might get 1 or 2 other blokes that went to a game last year discounting the GF. Honestly it might literally be only one other bloke from the footy club that went during the year. Plenty of opportunities to go on a Sunday to watch, but care factor is not very high on the younger guys. Forgetting myself, most other 15-30/35 year olds would rathar watch a Gold Coast Brisbane game last year on a Sunday than going to watch a SANFL game. They would rathar follow their SuperCoach or dreamteam scores than watch a SANFL game. The interest is all about the AFL. A lot of that can be blamed maybe on the media coverage, some not knowing a thing about the SANFL. Basically, I’ve grown up with my father and grandfather loving the Maggies and I remember going to watch as many games as possible if the Power were away when younger and following them each week with great interest. I’m saddened that the Magpies will never be the same. I also understand the growth of our club and where we are at now as the PAFC and how bright our future is off the field. I can tell you, once the AFL reserves comes in, whenever that may be, the SANFL will be on its last legs. Our generation and the one below us will only be interested in the AFL and reserves comp. as much it pains me, the SANFL would last another 5-10 years in my eyes once the reserves come in. It would end up turning into a development league like the TAC cup as guys would much rathar go play for coin in the ammos or country footy and not having to worry about training more than once a week.

If some of this doesn’t make sense, I apologise as I’m severely hungover and not double checking why I’ve typed!
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 am

According to the Education department design guidelines yes........it says to consult the SANFL in regards to designing football ovals.

Also refers to SACA for cricket.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby RB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:44 pm

The Education Department might have a policy where the SANFL should be consulted on designing football ovals, but that doesn't mean that the SANFL has to sanction any game of Australian Rules Football played in South Australia.

Amazing that people think there is some law whereby the SANFL has to agree to a game of football being played...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby jo172 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm

heater31 wrote:

According to the Education department design guidelines yes........it says to consult the SANFL in regards to designing football ovals.

Also refers to SACA for cricket.

Think if I had the land/resources available to me you don't think I can build a footy oval without getting anything more than Development Act approval
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Wow, some people are really intent on sending this discussion off track.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm

MW wrote:Allow me to summarise
AFL should be out of the SANFL, but SANFL should be compensated for it, and then paid ongoing fees for AFL reserves to play in SA

Seems perfectly reasonable. Thanks for the offer ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:So you really think the SANFL authorise the AFL clubs to play games in SA and it has nothing to do with the AFL?

Is the AFL not a governing body too?

You are asking if the AFL isn’t a governing body.

I’m not sure it is a governing body, but if it is, it is likely to be the governing body for Victoria via the VFL, and maybe the other states where Australian Rules footy didnt really have a strong presence prior to the creation of the expansion teams. Even then, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t already a governing body in Queensland and NSW, that would have accepted absorption into the AFL to facilitate the new expansion teams.

SA and WA already had a well established Australian Rules Football league structure with a well established governing body. I’d be surprised if the SANFL commission, despite being spineless and sycophantic, has given its governing powers over to the AFL.

If the AFL had presidence over the SANFL, they wouldn’t have had to make all those bullshit promises to ‘persuade’ the SANFL to approve the two Reserves teams playing in the SANFL in the first place.

On that basis UKF is probably right, in that the AFL would need clearance from SANFL to play a Reserves league is SA. I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t get approval. For a start off the matches would require registered referees, whom, you would have to assume have their registrations held by the SANFL.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:08 pm

jo172 wrote:UK Fan, to put it at a bit of a simpler level (which I suspect may be necessary) tomorrow Payneham! Norwood Union and Tanunda are playing a trial match at Port Wakefield.

I can assure you that this has been solely organised between the two clubs and neither the SANFL nor any affiliated leagues permission has been sought or granted.

Is your view that one or all of the parties mentioned above is in breach of the SANFL'S right as "governing body" capable of injunctive remedy?

You are missing the fact that both Paynham and Tanunda are probably registered clubs affiliated to a registered league that is affiliated to the registered governing body.

You are also confusing the role of the governing body with the freedom a registered club / league has to organise its own matches,

Why do you think all clubs in all leagues in SA playing Australian Rules Football play by the same rules, (unless the SANFL is trialling a rule change).

And of course, if a bunch of blokes get together on a park for a kick about, then they don’t have to be registered. But if that same bunch of blokes decide they want to start a team and join a league with 200 other blokes, then they will have to register and accept the rules of the governing body.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm

The SANFL obviously have jurisdiction over the SANFL, independent of the AFL, which is why the AFL needed permission to field the reserves teams in the SANFL.

But the SANFL have no jurisdiction over the Crows or the Power anymore, they sold those licences. So if they wanted to play in an AFL reserves comp, ran by the AFL and not the SANFL, i doubt they would have anything to do with it. Just like they have nothing to do with the Crows playing in the AFL now.

johntheclaret wrote:Why do you think all clubs in all leagues in SA playing Australian Rules Football play by the same rules, (unless the SANFL is trialling a rule change).

you have proven the point that the SANFL is a different entity than the AFL, so would have no say in AFL games
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL