The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:53% of the TPP and losing is not unusual in SA electoral history.
Playford engineered it so the city was represented by 11 seats and the rural areas were represented by 26 seats even though less than a third of the population lived in the country areas.......sounds fair. :roll:

**** me, I didn’t realise there were 90 year olds on here
I wasn’t even old enough to vote in the Playford era

The skin on the custard is more than safe.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 pm

jo172 wrote:And a Liberal Premier ended that system in the greatest example of political self-sacrifice since, well, ever.

Nah try the Queensland Upper house members who all voted themselves out of a job in 1921....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 pm

am Bays wrote:
jo172 wrote:And a Liberal Premier ended that system in the greatest example of political self-sacrifice since, well, ever.

Nah try the Queensland Upper house members who all voted themselves out of a job in 1921....

Fair call albeit Steele runs an admirable second there
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 pm

It was a great example by Steele Hall, who so despised and was despised by the other members of, not the Liberal party, but the Liberal Country League that he formed yet another party, the Liberal Movement.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 pm

DOC wrote:It was a great example by Steele Hall, who so despised and was despised by the other members of, not the Liberal party, but the Liberal Country League that he formed yet another party, the Liberal Movement.

Indeed, Marshall has not quite gotten enough credit for being the first leader in 40 years to bring discipline to the parliamentary SA Libs in 40 years
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby RB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm

jo172 wrote:
DOC wrote:
jo172 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:53% of the TPP and losing is not unusual in SA electoral history.
Playford engineered it so the city was represented by 11 seats and the rural areas were represented by 26 seats even though less than a third of the population lived in the country areas.......sounds fair. :roll:

And a Liberal Premier ended that system in the greatest example of political self-sacrifice since, well, ever.

The Constitution was amended to try and ensure that the Party which won 2PP would form government.

Just because it has happened in the past does not mean it's a good thing.

What constitution would that be?

The South Australian one: http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdb/au/legis/sa/consol_act/ca1934188/

An ALP/Green/Advance SA coalition removed the provision as the final act of the parliament prior to the election.

I suspect the matter will come before the Full Court over the next 12 months and the repeal of the electoral fairness provision to be found ultra vires

Why do you suspect the repeal is ultra vires? Ultra vires what?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 pm

RB wrote:
jo172 wrote:
DOC wrote:
jo172 wrote:
And a Liberal Premier ended that system in the greatest example of political self-sacrifice since, well, ever.

The Constitution was amended to try and ensure that the Party which won 2PP would form government.

Just because it has happened in the past does not mean it's a good thing.

What constitution would that be?

The South Australian one: http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdb/au/legis/sa/consol_act/ca1934188/

An ALP/Green/Advance SA coalition removed the provision as the final act of the parliament prior to the election.

I suspect the matter will come before the Full Court over the next 12 months and the repeal of the electoral fairness provision to be found ultra vires

Why do you suspect the repeal is ultra vires? Ultra vires what?

The question is untried, but I suspect the Full Court will find a provision of the constitution in place via referendum cannot be repealed by mere vote of parliament without referendum.

If they find something other it's very dangerous territory.

The more interesting question is come tomorrow the idea of a 2PP vote is likely redundant. In most seats it will likely not come down to a straight 2PP between the Libs and ALP. I suspect the court will find that problem is for the voters at referendum
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Newspoll and ReachTEL: Liberal 34, Labor 31 in SA.

A late poll from South Australia shows only that whoever ends up governing will do so from an historically low primary vote.

In quick succession, we have had final statewide polls from Newspoll (for The Australian) and ReachTEL (for Sky News), and they are of one mind in having the Liberals leading Labor on the primary vote by 34% to 31%, and very nearly in accord with support for SA Best, which Newspoll has at 17% and ReachTEL has at 16%. Newspoll has the Greens on 8%; no figure is available from ReachTEL. In Newspoll’s case, the Liberals are up two on the poll a fortnight ago, Labor and the Greens are up one each, and SA Best is down four. Sky News also related that the ReachTEL poll had Labor leading 52-48 in a forced preference of undecided voters, although it’s hard to say what use that figure is exactly.

https://www.pollbludger.net/2018/03/16/ ... australia/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:36 am

I think we’ll see a different voting pattern on the final washup
Why? Because personally I’ve said Labor or Greens in every poll
Anecdotal it may be, but I reckon a lot of people are sick of 4 polls per week
PS: I can’t remember whether I voted pro or con nuclear / renewables / refugees

Have a good day tomorrow people because, either way, it’s a new day next week!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby morell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am

Should've checked the new boundaries, rocked up and could now vote for Annabel Digance! She's been awesome for us in the Inner South, attended countless functions at Mitchell Park. Genuine person, even messaged me privately after she saw my gruesome injury at a game last year. First time I've ever voted Labor.

Greens in the legislative assembly though.

The Liberal advertising was foul. Couldn't see one thing that they stood for other than "opposing Labor".
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am

am Bays wrote:

Reckon Peter Beattie and Howard circa 1995 would be up there too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:28 am

am Bays wrote:

Steele Hall's end of the 'Playmander' (or whatever it was called) in the late 1960s was indeed a very ballsy call, and helped put Dunstan into power in 1970.

Say what you like about Queensland, but there's something to be said for a unicameral parliament, at least at the state level.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:58 am

morell wrote:Should've checked the new boundaries, rocked up and could now vote for Annabel Digance! She's been awesome for us in the Inner South, attended countless functions at Mitchell Park. Genuine person, even messaged me privately after she saw my gruesome injury at a game last year. First time I've ever voted Labor.

The Liberal advertising was foul. Couldn't see one thing that they stood for other than "opposing Labor".

I envy you having someone you genuinely believe in, I'm in Playford, no-one is appealing at all.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Grenville wrote:
morell wrote:Should've checked the new boundaries, rocked up and could now vote for Annabel Digance! She's been awesome for us in the Inner South, attended countless functions at Mitchell Park. Genuine person, even messaged me privately after she saw my gruesome injury at a game last year. First time I've ever voted Labor.

I envy you having someone you genuinely believe in, I'm in Playford, no-one is appealing at all.

Yep, it was slim pickings indeed.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:33 pm

The missus just went down to vote at a place that is taking Florey and Playford votes and saw Jack Snelling there handing out paraphernalia for the Florey candidate. That prick could only harm their chances.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby jo172 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Out of curiosity have you ever asked her about the can you trust Habib? Disgrace?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Gozu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Loved the pamphlet I got for Labor's Jon Gee in Taylor alongside the statement of who of the three leaders has asked you to vote Labor a big tick under Weatherill's mug, another tick under Marshall's pic and a cross under Xenophon :lol:
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Gozu wrote:Loved the pamphlet I got for Labor's Jon Gee in Taylor alongside the statement of who of the three leaders has asked you to vote Labor a big tick under Weatherill's mug, another tick under Marshall's pic and a cross under Xenophon :lol:

Gold. Marshall will never live that down, those ads are awesome.
He's the first Liberal leader in this state I didn't vote for, I have no idea who could, just a bumbling fool.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby morell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:39 pm

jo172 wrote:

Out of curiosity have you ever asked her about the can you trust Habib? Disgrace?
Political correctness gone mad
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:41 pm

morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Political correctness gone mad

Her opinion or yours?

I honestly think it was racist dog whistling worthy of Fox News
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics