Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
H Ward wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:I don't know why the League didn't force them up a grade anyway.

Uni have D1 & D1res sides, someone new to the club or coming back from injury or whatever reason who do they play for in 2017- D7, D7res or C1?
In 2017 we had C grade standard players playing in multiple grades, 2018 will see our C graders playing in C1 -just like the other Div 1 clubs.

We hope this will help our overall selection structure.
D1 & D1res, select themselves.
C1 will be the next best players rather than split over 7/7res & C1. Then the remaining C grades would follow to a degree.

As a lot of the bigger clubs we are in a position with our "C Grades" where mates are playing with mates, that is 100% why they are playing.
They don't have ambition to play higher or develop themselves, they just want to play footy with their mate, brother, cousin, brother in law or whatever.
Some guys could play higher, but then some of their mates aren't probably up to the grade they are in already. If you promote one or drop the other you may end up with neither playing.

My experience over a long time in the leauge is that most clubs in the lower grades (D7--> C6) have 2 or 3 (maybe more) players that could easily play D1res standard footy without looking out of place.
In most cases they have either done it previously and for work/family/study/enjoyment or other reasons can't commit to training & playing at that level.

Aside all that a lot of Uni players are also Uni Students that have part time work so either need to play an early game to get to work after playing, or a late game to play after working a morning shift.
Then there's young country lads that need to play early so they can get home to the country for a mates 21st, sisters wedding or Dad's 60th.
-there's always circumstances where guys are available/unavailable or conditionally available.

I can guarantee there is or was no great conspiracy to win a C5 flag, and if there was wouldn't we have played those same blokes the following weeks in the higher grades (C1 & D1res) who were also playing in Grand Finals. Or alternatively not been so strong in C1 or D1res??
Selection for 7 teams is very rarely easy & often continues on thru Friday &into early Saturday morning just to get teams onto the park, let alone "Stack" them.

Everyone have a great 2018, play hard & fair with no injurys.

I-) Huh? First post as well
Got to be the real thing. Only a uni student could carp on for that long................

Most would spell "injuries" correctly though I would've thought,........money well spent.

Not if they're doing an education degree........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby S Demon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Cheers to Johnno and the Elizabeth lads for the trial game this morning
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby retiredhack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

Any other C grade sides lining up in trials?

Have to have some keen lads and solid early depth to have enough for C Grade players to trial
retiredhack
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby BenchedEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Executive Member wrote:
S Demon wrote:Is that right that Elizabeth's C grade play at 12.15pm in C5 and their D grade play at 2.15pm in C6 after them in Round 3??

Is that just an error?

It would be an error most likely

I believe those at Aldi Arena are still going thru the manual changes that the draw throws up

It should be noted that if you see something out of the ordinary please flick it thru to Tony Sullivan so he can add it to the list, as the League requires as many eyes as possible to look at it

One of the joys of the C Grade comps and how much more time is involved to try and get the draw to align perfectly for every club

Pretty disappointed the league dumped our 1st ever D grade side to accommodate TTG. I worked my ass off to get a full team raring to go and would be very competitive only for league to pull it away from us without even a phone call.
I know they are discussing tonight and i hope they put us back in.. but if they dont ive got 25+ blokes with no team to play in.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby The Informer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Mate relax TTG are in Div 7
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
H Ward wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:I don't know why the League didn't force them up a grade anyway.

Uni have D1 & D1res sides, someone new to the club or coming back from injury or whatever reason who do they play for in 2017- D7, D7res or C1?
In 2017 we had C grade standard players playing in multiple grades, 2018 will see our C graders playing in C1 -just like the other Div 1 clubs.

We hope this will help our overall selection structure.
D1 & D1res, select themselves.
C1 will be the next best players rather than split over 7/7res & C1. Then the remaining C grades would follow to a degree.

As a lot of the bigger clubs we are in a position with our "C Grades" where mates are playing with mates, that is 100% why they are playing.
They don't have ambition to play higher or develop themselves, they just want to play footy with their mate, brother, cousin, brother in law or whatever.
Some guys could play higher, but then some of their mates aren't probably up to the grade they are in already. If you promote one or drop the other you may end up with neither playing.

My experience over a long time in the leauge is that most clubs in the lower grades (D7--> C6) have 2 or 3 (maybe more) players that could easily play D1res standard footy without looking out of place.
In most cases they have either done it previously and for work/family/study/enjoyment or other reasons can't commit to training & playing at that level.

Aside all that a lot of Uni players are also Uni Students that have part time work so either need to play an early game to get to work after playing, or a late game to play after working a morning shift.
Then there's young country lads that need to play early so they can get home to the country for a mates 21st, sisters wedding or Dad's 60th.
-there's always circumstances where guys are available/unavailable or conditionally available.

I can guarantee there is or was no great conspiracy to win a C5 flag, and if there was wouldn't we have played those same blokes the following weeks in the higher grades (C1 & D1res) who were also playing in Grand Finals. Or alternatively not been so strong in C1 or D1res??
Selection for 7 teams is very rarely easy & often continues on thru Friday &into early Saturday morning just to get teams onto the park, let alone "Stack" them.

Everyone have a great 2018, play hard & fair with no injurys.

I-) Huh? First post as well
Got to be the real thing. Only a uni student could carp on for that long................

so adelaide uni's 5th team, who have played in the last "5" C1 grand finals, will now be reinforced/replaced by all the players from their thirds team?

lets hope their 3rds side are better than their 5ths side, thats a lot of pressure/expectation to live up to :D would hate to see them NOT make the 2018 GF

and meanwhile their amazing 5ths are being dumped down to where?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Believe me Marbles, Uni's C5 side last year were far from their "6th" team.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 pm

valleys07 wrote:Believe me Marbles, Uni's C5 side last year were far from their "6th" team.

=))
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby BenchedEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 pm

The_Informer wrote:Mate relax TTG are in Div 7

not according to current draw.
http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info. ... -114-0-0-0
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby BenchedEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 pm

S Demon wrote:Cheers to Johnno and the Elizabeth lads for the trial game this morning

i made it for the last half, the boys got a lot out of the game and im sure ur lads did too. Best of luck for 2018
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 am

BenchedEagle wrote:
The_Informer wrote:Mate relax TTG are in Div 7

not according to current draw.
http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info. ... -114-0-0-0

But TTG don't appear in the current C1 draw. I believe they have now gone back to the original Div 7 proposal of the TTG C & D grade playing Div 7 & 7R which means the TTG showing in C6 can revert to Elizabeth if you guys genuinely can field a 4th team. Which is a great effort for a Div 6 club and should ensure you can go at least one better than last year.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby The Informer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am

There was a league meeting last light and after that the Div 7 clubs meet with the league, TTG never wanted to leave Div 7 and the Div 7 clubs voted for them to stay in 7, the draw will be changed for 7 to reflect this. Only one Div 7 club voted not to have TTG in 7
The Informer
Reserves

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

The_Informer wrote:There was a league meeting last light and after that the Div 7 clubs meet with the league, TTG never wanted to leave Div 7 and the Div 7 clubs voted for them to stay in 7, the draw will be changed for 7 to reflect this. Only one Div 7 club voted not to have TTG in 7

Probably the Crabs, so they can finish 7th rather than 8th.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby marbles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm

The_Informer wrote:There was a league meeting last light and after that the Div 7 clubs meet with the league, TTG never wanted to leave Div 7 and the Div 7 clubs voted for them to stay in 7, the draw will be changed for 7 to reflect this. Only one Div 7 club voted not to have TTG in 7

and thats all the goss you have from the meeting?

nothing about greenacres or north pines or mitchell park/flinders uni mergers or who got laid on the weekend?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby The Informer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm

No wasn't them but a club close by
The Informer
Reserves

Postby K.Durant » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 am

S Demon wrote:
H Ward wrote:

You did exceptionally well in 2017. You managed to have 25 players in C5 who could easily play D1R standard. You even beat your B grade during the week off in the finals. If you have a similar squad this year, I don't envy the other C4 teams... :shock:

Beware everything that you read in the Substandard - a newsletter known for its high levels of satire. If the B@stards had beaten the D1R, let alone the C1 side from last year I would have wet my pants and demanded a pay rise. Very much looking forward to the challenge on offer in C3.

Also can everyone play nice with H.Ward? Spelling has never been his strong point.
K.Durant
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BenchedEagle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 am

Very disapointing to see 2 forfeits in C6 this week. Hopefully it was just too far for Edwardstown to come to Elizabeth and Mawson Lakes took a strategic forfeit against top side Old Iggies.. or are both sides done for the year?
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

BenchedEagle wrote:Very disapointing to see 2 forfeits in C6 this week. Hopefully it was just too far for Edwardstown to come to Elizabeth and Mawson Lakes took a strategic forfeit against top side Old Iggies.. or are both sides done for the year?

From experience if you're struggling on field and it gets to the stage of a forfeit in round 3 life doesn't tend to get any easier as the year goes on.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sass! » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:43 am

jo172 wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:Very disapointing to see 2 forfeits in C6 this week. Hopefully it was just too far for Edwardstown to come to Elizabeth and Mawson Lakes took a strategic forfeit against top side Old Iggies.. or are both sides done for the year?

From experience if you're struggling on field and it gets to the stage of a forfeit in round 3 life doesn't tend to get any easier as the year goes on.

Yeah, its a hard one.. Round 1 last week we had aroun 20-25 out across the top 3 grades which really impacts filling our D grade... we like to think we will have the numbers to compete all year but when it starts meaning playing with no bench or C Grade players having to double up to help out the D's later that day (or under 18's who play on the Sunday) it gets to the point where sometimes hard calls need to be made.

That call can often mean that your bottom 10-15 players either wont get a game each week or will play bugger all game time.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby S Demon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 am

Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Yeah, its a hard one.. Round 1 last week we had aroun 20-25 out across the top 3 grades which really impacts filling our D grade... we like to think we will have the numbers to compete all year but when it starts meaning playing with no bench or C Grade players having to double up to help out the D's later that day (or under 18's who play on the Sunday) it gets to the point where sometimes hard calls need to be made.

That call can often mean that your bottom 10-15 players either wont get a game each week or will play bugger all game time.

We had a number of people suggest that we get a D grade up and running as it was looking likely that up to 20-25 blokes would miss out on playing in the early rounds. So far we've just scraped up 24-25 each week with no one missing out, which would have meant an early forfeit for our D grade. And even that was only because a few new players came out. You really need at least an extra 40 players just in your D grade squad in my opinion to make it sustainable throughout the year

I know Edwardstown had a number of blokes play C grade at 10.15am and double up in the D grade at 2.15pm in Round 1, which I thought was a bit of a worry that early in the season
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League