3%
Trinity OS
5%
West Croydon
22%

Total votes : 95

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 6 - 2018

Postby Danky$$ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

I would let them go, brooks has said he isn’t gonna return he’s just gonna sit the year out. I know kilburn had Bruno olaughlin, Luke and cliff Wilson sign contracts for the 2018 season late last year but then they decided to head elsewhere and kilburn cleared them straight away. It’s local footy mate let the kid have fun not sit a year out.
Danky$$
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Danky$$ wrote:I would let them go, brooks has said he isn’t gonna return he’s just gonna sit the year out. I know kilburn had Bruno olaughlin, Luke and cliff Wilson sign contracts for the 2018 season late last year but then they decided to head elsewhere and kilburn cleared them straight away. It’s local footy mate let the kid have fun not sit a year out.

Brooksy has zero connection to the club and will likely never ever return to the club again. I have never once asked brooksy to sit out the year and have always been honest about his desire to see out his contract and then make a decision about 2019. If he choses to sit out in 2018 then thats his decision.

Unfortunately its not local football anymore but a business. I wish it was different and yearn for the old days but players continue to demand money for their services and therefore almost become employees. The employer needs to be protected too.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Old_mate21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm

If I was club coach, I would look at how a decision is going to impact the club moving forward. I’m unsure how holding players to a contract will encourage others to sign in following seasons. As a club you want to get people on board as early as possible not sure this does it. You say it’s like an employment now, employees are able to walk away from a job just as an employer has the right to fire them. Take your coaches hat off and put your players hat on, if you were approached by a club to play there would look at their history? Of course you do just like they look at yours.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Q. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:
Danky$$ wrote:I would let them go, brooks has said he isn’t gonna return he’s just gonna sit the year out. I know kilburn had Bruno olaughlin, Luke and cliff Wilson sign contracts for the 2018 season late last year but then they decided to head elsewhere and kilburn cleared them straight away. It’s local footy mate let the kid have fun not sit a year out.

Brooksy has zero connection to the club and will likely never ever return to the club again. I have never once asked brooksy to sit out the year and have always been honest about his desire to see out his contract and then make a decision about 2019. If he choses to sit out in 2018 then thats his decision.

Unfortunately its not local football anymore but a business. I wish it was different and yearn for the old days but players continue to demand money for their services and therefore almost become employees. The employer needs to be protected too.
Has he given his four weeks notice?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Gotta be careful when the shoe is on the other foot. There will be a day that a good player on a contract wants to join your club also.

Also if a guy that you are paying $200 a week can’t get a kick you as a club can’t move them on fast enough. I don’t know the situation but you can’t be as black and white as that considering the most professional organisation in the land are prepared to trade contracted players.

I do understand the principle, however I can’t see a good outcome. What if the bloke said “Yes I’ll play” and then played terrible. It’s no win for anyone.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:14 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Gotta be careful when the shoe is on the other foot. There will be a day that a good player on a contract wants to join your club also.

Also if a guy that you are paying $200 a week can’t get a kick you as a club can’t move them on fast enough. I don’t know the situation but you can’t be as black and white as that considering the most professional organisation in the land are prepared to trade contracted players.

I do understand the principle, however I can’t see a good outcome. What if the bloke said “Yes I’ll play” and then played terrible. It’s no win for anyone.

I 100% agree with the first statement and i would respect the opposition club for not clearing him to our club. While i would like player x, i understand that he made a decision earlier and we would be tied by that decision.

On the second part, we are talking about a proven commodity. Our captain for the last two years and a difference maker in division 6. There are other ways to stop paying a player you have agreed to pay extra dollars too and thats called the reserves. Be will soon make the decision to move on.
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Postby Old_mate21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

But if he has signed a contract you wouldn’t let him move on anyway?
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:But if he has signed a contract you wouldn’t let him move on anyway?

We are not talking about your average footballer in this scenario. Each scenario would be treated differently. We are talking about 3 quality A grade footballers in Brooksy, Wrighty and Steele. These guys are proven at this level and would be in the top 10 of any team.

No one is asking these guys to not play football in 2018. I am just asking that these guys honour the contract they agrees to early and play the year at Brahma Lodge. If after this year they decide not to stay then i will be the first to thank them for their service and wish them the best of luck.
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Postby Old_mate21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm

You are asking them to play for you or sit out football. They are the only two options in this scenario. Also when they signed those contracts you weren’t the coach at the time were you? You are asking them to play for your side even though they never signed to play for your side. Players go to clubs because of their connections to people first and foremost, then it will be money discussed and ideally they enjoy their time and stay at the club. If as a player you signed to play somewhere because of your relationship with a coach, if said coach left would you stay or leave?
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby ramming23 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Wilbur wrote:Going to be a long year for 9 clubs in Div 6, no one will get close to West Croydon.

Cemented themselves as flag favourites yesterday after easily accounting for he Div 5 flag favourites (Lockleys).

Don’t base too much off a trial game. Lockleys were apparently quite a few of their key players down and West Croydon were almost full strength
ramming23
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:You are asking them to play for you or sit out football. They are the only two options in this scenario. Also when they signed those contracts you weren’t the coach at the time were you? You are asking them to play for your side even though they never signed to play for your side. Players go to clubs because of their connections to people first and foremost, then it will be money discussed and ideally they enjoy their time and stay at the club. If as a player you signed to play somewhere because of your relationship with a coach, if said coach left would you stay or leave?

I am pretty sure you dont sign a contract with a coach but with a club.

At the end of the day we will never agree on this because i will always put the club first and you will always be about whats best for me.
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Postby Groover » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 am

Moral of the story, don’t sign anything unless you are willing to hold up your end of the bargain.
Unforeseen circumstances do arise, but I’m sure if these guys had an inkling that they may have been looking to go elsewhere then they should have known the consequences of signing up to the club they did.
Clubs need some protection too, otherwise u will have blokes running around continually signing up for the best offer.

Only fix to this I see is ALL clubs agree to stop paying players (but this will never happen). It would hurt a lot of clubs for a few years but eventually football would weed out the need for this behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am

So you think players don’t follow coaches or mates to clubs? Are you really that ignorant? Who got Nathan to your club? The club has no financial commitment to the player, been offered financial compensation for the players but still refuses. As a player would you want those guys to return to your team if you knew they were hellbent on leaving? As a supporter of your club would you A) want your club to hold a player to their contract and they don’t play and you get nothing or B) receive compensation for someone who doesn’t want to be at your club? You keep pushing the the clubs needs first but I am pretty sure you are pushing the needs of your first year as coach and the committees pride above the needs of the whole club.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am

lovetotalkfooty wrote:
Old_mate21 wrote:But if he has signed a contract you wouldn’t let him move on anyway?

We are not talking about your average footballer in this scenario. Each scenario would be treated differently. We are talking about 3 quality A grade footballers in Brooksy, Wrighty and Steele. These guys are proven at this level and would be in the top 10 of any team.

No one is asking these guys to not play football in 2018. I am just asking that these guys honour the contract they agrees to early and play the year at Brahma Lodge. If after this year they decide not to stay then i will be the first to thank them for their service and wish them the best of luck.

But the playing conditions aren't the same as what they were when they signed? their employer changed their boss, surely that needs to be taken into consideration?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 am

lovetotalkfooty wrote:
Old_mate21 wrote:You are asking them to play for you or sit out football. They are the only two options in this scenario. Also when they signed those contracts you weren’t the coach at the time were you? You are asking them to play for your side even though they never signed to play for your side. Players go to clubs because of their connections to people first and foremost, then it will be money discussed and ideally they enjoy their time and stay at the club. If as a player you signed to play somewhere because of your relationship with a coach, if said coach left would you stay or leave?

I am pretty sure you dont sign a contract with a coach but with a club.

At the end of the day we will never agree on this because i will always put the club first and you will always be about whats best for me.

Just read all this and as an outsider, well done to Brahma for sticking to their guns. See it too many times, players sign contract then go elsewhere for next best offer. About time more clubs stood up to this sort of player behaviour. Keep sticking to your guns there as you are fully entitled to.
Also, what is this about the new club offering Brahma compensation? Hopefully the CFL are reading this as that is a clear breach to offer incentive for clubs to clear players and needs to be penalised if true.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Groover » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 am

Maybe the club trying to sign these lads should have realised they were already contracted and turned them away instead of crying foul when they don’t get cleared...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

If this is the type of culture your club has then I can understand why there is always such a high player turnover. Eventually the club will have to realise that the problem can’t be with all the players and will need to accept responsibility for their own misgivings.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:19 am

Old_mate21 wrote:If this is the type of culture your club has then I can understand why there is always such a high player turnover. Eventually the club will have to realise that the problem can’t be with all the players and will need to accept responsibility for their own misgivings.

Taking the actual club out of the equation and looking at it from a blank canvas, it would be frustrating for them to be proactive and have their budgets and points etc. worked out early only to have it thrown into turmoil a few weeks out for the season opener.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 am

turk186 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
turk186 wrote: Very disappointed to hear these bloke moving on as the club bent over to help all of them at one time or another including financially... I hoped they would stay which meant the new blokes that have since joined would have given better numbers around the club along with a fair amount of ability.
I guess its easier to follow rather than be at the front of the line where you can't hide.
Wheats would not be in that category, top bloke, pretty fair footballer... wish him all the best.

I wonder about the wisdom of "bending over to help people" despite their track records.
Some people are not built for the loyalty that is expected of them when clubs support them in this way.
Support the right people, make the right decisions on these instances and you won't be disappointed like this.
People just don't stay at a club for the reasons you've suggested.

I don't disagree with the sentiment but how do you "pick" the right person(s) to support from amongst a large group consisting of as it turns out mainly wankers

I think you know, through their history, that certain players are 'floaters' and have a record of leaving clubs or not completing their commitments to clubs or the support provided to them.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Pag » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am

I can understand the sentiment from the Lodge here but ultimately if these guys choose to sit out of footy you are actually getting no benefit whatsoever. Take whatever 'compensation' is being offered (their year worth of subs would seem appropriate, so he's deemed financial and can clear on that ground), move them on and allow your club to move on.

You cannot force a guy to drive to your ground after work to train, and you cannot force him to get out of bed and put your jumper on every Saturday, why not get something (instead of nothing) for him?
Last edited by Pag on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League