SANFL competition review

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL competition review

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 am

oldfella wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:With Adelaide & Port's reserve teams leaving the SANFL could this open the door for 2 other clubs to enter the competition?

NO WAY in my personal opinion

The sponsorshipdollars for sanfl clubs has shrunk significantly and the league needs to be a maximun of 8 teams --- more teams will not bring in additional supporters

The NT Thunder might look at coming down here
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

Aerie wrote:Bring in the AFL Reserves comp to be played as curtain raisers to AFL games. No Saturday afternoon AFL footy to be played in SA.

Leave elite junior pathway programs to the AFL. SANFL underage teams to filter back to local junior competitions (i.e. Eagles play in metro west, South play in Southern League etc.) Scrap all zones and salary caps - although a percentage of player salary could be taxed to support all football in the state.

Have a Greater Adelaide Regional SANFL competition made up of two divisions with promotion and relegation (league and reserves for each division). One club drops down and one club gets promoted each season. Played Saturday afternoon.

Initially:
SANFL Div 1 - 10 teams which consist of 8 SANFL teams and 2 Adelaide Footy League Teams
SANFL Div 2 - 10 teams which consist of next 10 best Adelaide Footy League Teams

Have all other leagues complete their season by end of August.

2 Grand Finalists of Adelaide Footy League plus winners of Hills Div 1, Adelaide Plains League, BLG League, RMF League, GSF League and Southern League play in an 8 team, 3 week knockout comp (during September at same time as SANFL Finals) to determine who gets promoted to SANFL Div 2 the following season. Bottom placed SANFL Div 2 team drops back to local league.

So essentially the TS Hill Cup is opened up to hundreds of clubs in the Greater Adelaide Region if they're good enough and a safety blanket is afforded to all clubs in the form of lower divisions or leagues if they can't keep up with demands. No more unrealistic expectations about keeping up with professional standards.

Not a bad concept, very soccer like.
One major problem would be that most suburban clubs don't have the infrastructure to be able to charge an entry fee
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:05 pm

SANFL is dead or a dying horse

Ignite grassroots football and realign state footy pathways so theres 1 premier league

All clubs in in div 1 ammos have a chance to go up each year if they win the flag and sanfl wooden spooner gets relegated

Sfl merges with ammos

1 comp city

As the dude said above rather than seeing an sanfl die, employ new clubs and a new system and reignite state footy
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 pm

You should have seen the flak i copped in the other thread for suggesting that if an AFL reserves comp comes in the SANFL would become more like the top of the ammos rather than the bottom of the professional/semi-professional tier.

But I think the above posters are right, its what will happen.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 pm

It would truly then be the Adelaide Footy League

Although if port power go to afl reserves youd imagine port magpies could still continue in the sanfl

Its just a matter if whether they want to have 9 teams with a bye

The only difference with sanfl teams and ammo teams is a bigger salary cap, pokies and a fence around the oval #entryfee

But in essence its already known that top players are avoiding sanfl to go to country footy

Creating a premier league div 1 ammos will have to endorse fences around their facilites. Its been done before aka SAFA days and the southern league already endorse entry fee so its not impossible

Although goodwood oval i doubt would be permitted perimeter fencing as an example

The other option is to scrap gate fees and rely on sponsorship and membership

Bring sanfl clubs back to the pack and equalize salary cap for sanfl & div 1 ammo clubs

OR

If Sanfl seek to expand they could take on a 2nd division and attract new clubs who can facilitate fenced perimeters
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby GMcG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 am

bennymacca wrote:You should have seen the flak i copped in the other thread for suggesting that if an AFL reserves comp comes in the SANFL would become more like the top of the ammos rather than the bottom of the professional/semi-professional tier.

But I think the above posters are right, its what will happen.

and?
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Locky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 pm

johntheclaret wrote:My only fear is that the powers that be at SANFL headoffice fail to get off their arses and do something to promote their league when the Reserves finally go. After all they’ve done **** all to promote it whilst the Reserves have been in.

It will be a great opportunity to promote the SANFL as a real alternative to the AFL. It just needs some creativity, commitment and a bit of elbow grease.

23 rounds over 24 weeks. 1 home, 1 away, 1 neutral carnival game

1 mid season bye
GF 1st week October
Big Easter weekend carnival

It’s all been said before

If the SANFL withers away it will be because of the apathetic leadership, not the AFL

Members from all SANFL clubs should be getting together and lobbying their boards for change to pressure the SANFL commission to be more proactive for the SANFL. I know this won’t / can’t happen and that’s a shame as we need something to shake the clubs and the SANFL leadership out of the lethargy that has become endemic of the SANFL

Exactly what he said, spot on JTC. =D> (excepting not sure about all the neutral games). Last chance for the SANFL.
Locky

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:11 am

Locky wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:My only fear is that the powers that be at SANFL headoffice fail to get off their arses and do something to promote their league when the Reserves finally go. After all they’ve done **** all to promote it whilst the Reserves have been in.

It will be a great opportunity to promote the SANFL as a real alternative to the AFL. It just needs some creativity, commitment and a bit of elbow grease.

23 rounds over 24 weeks. 1 home, 1 away, 1 neutral carnival game

1 mid season bye
GF 1st week October
Big Easter weekend carnival

It’s all been said before

If the SANFL withers away it will be because of the apathetic leadership, not the AFL

Members from all SANFL clubs should be getting together and lobbying their boards for change to pressure the SANFL commission to be more proactive for the SANFL. I know this won’t / can’t happen and that’s a shame as we need something to shake the clubs and the SANFL leadership out of the lethargy that has become endemic of the SANFL

Exactly what he said, spot on JTC. =D> (excepting not sure about all the neutral games). Last chance for the SANFL.
apart from my shit maths. Should read 21 rounds over 22 weeks derr :D Must have been including Port
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL