Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Spargo wrote:“Big club” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cute isn’t it mate :lol:

Comedy value.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm

whufc wrote:
morell wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Do any of us actually know the contract the afl teams signed when joining the SANFL?

It’s not hard to imagine there was a clause in there about a national reserves competition, or something similar.

Then we could all be arguing about nothing?

Port and Crows signed a contract to play in the SANFL until 2028, with an annual review and only the SANFL can cancel the contract so they cannot move without making arrangements/agreement with the SANFL.

I can't believe no one has asked why Tanunda played PNU at Port Wakefield!

This is true, but there would be nothing stopping Port fielding our academy side in the SANFL and our Reserves in the new AFL Ressies comp.

Spoke to someone at the SANFL and the apparently the contract is clear in that it states reserves team must play in the SANFL. Under definition it states reserves side as must being the players who were on the AFL list and not selected therefore they would need to play those blokes in the SANFL.
Please don't ruin the fantasy of Port's 3rds rolling through a bunch of puny SANFL clubs.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Spargo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Comedy value.

Says the Norf and Bays fan! Hahahah that's comedic value. Even if you merged those clubs you still wouldn't be our size.

#puny
morell
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 pm

morell wrote:
Spargo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Comedy value.

Says the Norf and Bays fan! Hahahah that's comedic value. Even if you merged those clubs you still wouldn't be our size.

#puny

Nothing to do with who I follow, nice attempted deflection. Point proven.
If you think you are a big club in the AFL, you’re more delusional than all those people you claim “have no idea” on this forum.
#wannabe

Spargo
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Never said we were a big club in the AFL, just a big club, which in the context of safooty.net and this discussion, we are.

We're a national club in a national competition with significant resources and budget. I'd be confident, if we wanted to, in being able to field three teams. AFL, AFL Reserves and our C Grade in the SANFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 pm

You’ll be looking for an AFL bail out(again) in no time if you field 3 teams plus a SANFL reserves side.
Let’s get real about this.
Last edited by amber_fluid on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2225 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby RB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 pm

UK Fan wrote:
jo172 wrote:John, criticising others for not contributing to the debate when both you and UK Fan have refused to engage with a couple of pretty simple concepts in:
- World Series Cricket occurring despite a "governing body"
- the possibility of people being able to organise private leagues (despite the obvious logistic difficulties; and
- the anti-competitive conduct provisions in Competition and Consumer Law Act.

Did Aussie cricketers sign a 15 year commitment to the acb before World Series cricket started ??

If not irrelevant.

The afl arent a private league

Irrelevant

Who is going to take us for being anti competitive ??the afl port or crows

Good luck with that

Of course the AFL are a private league. It might get an enormous amount of exposure, and attract mass audiences, but it's still a private league. It has the right to determine its membership and do anything it damn well likes, within the law.

I agree that it's a moot point given that contractual agreements between the AFL, its clubs and the SANFL (or SAFC etc.) probably provide for this situation, but I find it utterly bewildering that grown adults don't understand that the SANFL has no real governing authority over football in this state. OK sure, due to its size, finance, history, and affiliations it has some de facto power over the administration of footy in SA, but to suggest that the AFL needs the SANFL's permission to schedule games here (except obviously on land owned by the SANFL), otherwise than where required under a contract, is ludicrous.

I think people on here know my thoughts about the AFL reserves sides, and I would be personally happy to see the back of the cancers ASAP, with or without compensation, but when someone makes stupid remarks I'm gonna call them out for what they are...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 pm

morell wrote:Never said we were a big club in the AFL, just a big club, which in the context of safooty.net and this discussion, we are.

We're a national club in a national competition with significant resources and budget. I'd be confident, if we wanted to, in being able to field three teams. AFL, AFL Reserves and our C Grade in the SANFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

You quite possibly could. Not sure what’s so funny. We’re arguing semantics, however ridiculing a poster & their opinion based on the club(s) they follow is sooooooo pathetic. Stick to arguing/debating the point.
Hope for your sake your “big” club has a big season.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 pm

morell wrote:
whufc wrote:
morell wrote:
Dutchy wrote:[quote="bennymacca"]Do any of us actually know the contract the afl teams signed when joining the SANFL?

It’s not hard to imagine there was a clause in there about a national reserves competition, or something similar.

Then we could all be arguing about nothing?

Port and Crows signed a contract to play in the SANFL until 2028, with an annual review and only the SANFL can cancel the contract so they cannot move without making arrangements/agreement with the SANFL.

I can't believe no one has asked why Tanunda played PNU at Port Wakefield!

This is true, but there would be nothing stopping Port fielding our academy side in the SANFL and our Reserves in the new AFL Ressies comp.

Spoke to someone at the SANFL and the apparently the contract is clear in that it states reserves team must play in the SANFL. Under definition it states reserves side as must being the players who were on the AFL list and not selected therefore they would need to play those blokes in the SANFL.
Please don't ruin the fantasy of Port's 3rds rolling through a bunch of puny SANFL clubs.[/quote]
Your 2nds haven’t been able to get the job done yet ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Jim05 wrote:Your 2nds haven’t been able to get the job done yet ;)
Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember the days where you blokes used to compete with Port's first grade!

Now our seconds havent quite managed to win an SANFL GF despite making two and you're gloating. Deary me. 8)
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:43 pm

RB wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
jo172 wrote:John, criticising others for not contributing to the debate when both you and UK Fan have refused to engage with a couple of pretty simple concepts in:
- the possibility of people being able to organise private leagues (despite the obvious logistic difficulties; and

Did Aussie cricketers sign a 15 year commitment to the acb before World Series cricket started ??

If not irrelevant.

Irrelevant

Good luck with that

Of course the AFL are a private league. It might get an enormous amount of exposure, and attract mass audiences, but it's still a private league. It has the right to determine its membership and do anything it damn well likes, within the law.

I agree that it's a moot point given that contractual agreements between the AFL, its clubs and the SANFL (or SAFC etc.) probably provide for this situation, but I find it utterly bewildering that grown adults don't understand that the SANFL has no real governing authority over football in this state. OK sure, due to its size, finance, history, and affiliations it has some de facto power over the administration of footy in SA, but to suggest that the AFL needs the SANFL's permission to schedule games here (except obviously on land owned by the SANFL), otherwise than where required under a contract, is ludicrous.

I think people on here know my thoughts about the AFL reserves sides, and I would be personally happy to see the back of the cancers ASAP, with or without compensation, but when someone makes stupid remarks I'm gonna call them out for what they are...

100% spot on

UK Fan and johntheclaret read this then read it again.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Full statement from Port:

Full credit to Magpiespower on BigFooty
morell
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 pm

All class.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 pm

morell wrote:
Now our seconds havent quite managed to win an SANFL GF despite making two and you're gloating. Deary me. 8)

Port fans now bragging about getting close to winning premierships, things that bad eh? :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:22 pm

morell wrote:
Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember the days where you blokes used to compete with Port's first grade!

Give us a $14m salary cap and I’m sure we would give you a run :)
All jokes aside you had outgrown the SANFL and the club had to go into the AFL to move forward.
A clean break from the SANFL back then would of been so much better for all parties
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

Give us a $14m salary cap and I’m sure we would give you a run :)
All jokes aside you had outgrown the SANFL and the club had to go into the AFL to move forward.
A clean break from the SANFL back then would of been so much better for all parties

Nah I am just stirring too, I do agree.

There would be a touch of sadness but I think it would be best for all.
morell
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Agreed Port should of left when going into the AFL but the SANFL didn't want to lose it's biggest commodity.
Interesting if they had have left if we would still hear the same froff about Port not being Port
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 am

LMA wrote:Agreed Port should of left when going into the AFL but the SANFL didn't want to lose it's biggest commodity.
Interesting if they had have left if we would still hear the same froff about Port not being Port

.... And kill off the Magpies?
I've met plenty of Port fans that stuck by the black and white. They're the biggest sufferers in this whole saga IMO. The final tragedy being that now the Power might truly leave, they'll possibly sacrifice the Magpies in order to do it.
P.S WTF is Morrel doing back on this thread? Didn't he do the old "I'm too good for this and I ain't never coming back" spiel about one hundred pages ago?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 am

morell wrote:
RB wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

If not irrelevant.

Irrelevant

Good luck with that

100% spot on

UK Fan and johntheclaret read this then read it again.

Having read it and, as instructed, read it again, RB is simply confirming what I have been saying all along,
A) agrees re: “contractural agreements between the AFL, it’s Clubs and the SANFL (SAFC) probably provide for this situation”
B) agrees re: “OK sure, due to it’s size, finance, history and affiliations it has some power over the administration of footy in SA”

C) please show anywhere where I have said the AFL needs SANFL permission to schedule AFL games. See point A)
I think maybe you need to go back read through the last couple of pages without you black and white striped afl glasses on ;)

Your “100% Spot On” comment at leasts shows signs we are finally getting through.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 am

morell wrote:

Ah yes, long time ago but 71 and 72 will always be two of my favourite seasons. ;)
It’s a shame what happened to the original Port Adelaide. Gone but not forgotten.

I know, and understand, that Collingwood is a much bigger and more important club in the AFL hierarchy, but it will be a real shame when the AFL Reserves finally come to fruition and the only professional Magpies in the league will be Victorian.

Why are they called the Power by the way. Surely there are enough native Black and White birds to go around. Maybe the Port Adelaide Peewee’s or maybe more appropriately the Port Adelaide Butcherbirds, to reflect their recent SANFL exploits.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL