The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 am

UK Fan wrote:
jo172 wrote:John, criticising others for not contributing to the debate when both you and UK Fan have refused to engage with a couple of pretty simple concepts in:
- World Series Cricket occurring despite a "governing body"
- the possibility of people being able to organise private leagues (despite the obvious logistic difficulties; and
- the anti-competitive conduct provisions in Competition and Consumer Law Act.

Did Aussie cricketers sign a 15 year commitment to the acb before World Series cricket started ??

If not irrelevant.

The afl arent a private league

Irrelevant

Who is going to take us for being anti competitive ??the afl port or crows

Good luck with that

So you've abandoned your view as to what governing body means?

It would seem so.

Just say it Fonzie!

jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:35 am

johntheclaret wrote:
morell wrote:
RB wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Did Aussie cricketers sign a 15 year commitment to the acb before World Series cricket started ??

If not irrelevant.

The afl arent a private league

Irrelevant

Who is going to take us for being anti competitive ??the afl port or crows

Good luck with that

Of course the AFL are a private league. It might get an enormous amount of exposure, and attract mass audiences, but it's still a private league. It has the right to determine its membership and do anything it damn well likes, within the law.

I agree that it's a moot point given that contractual agreements between the AFL, its clubs and the SANFL (or SAFC etc.) probably provide for this situation, but I find it utterly bewildering that grown adults don't understand that the SANFL has no real governing authority over football in this state. OK sure, due to its size, finance, history, and affiliations it has some de facto power over the administration of footy in SA, but to suggest that the AFL needs the SANFL's permission to schedule games here (except obviously on land owned by the SANFL), otherwise than where required under a contract, is ludicrous.

I think people on here know my thoughts about the AFL reserves sides, and I would be personally happy to see the back of the cancers ASAP, with or without compensation, but when someone makes stupid remarks I'm gonna call them out for what they are...

100% spot on

UK Fan and johntheclaret read this then read it again.

Having read it and, as instructed, read it again, RB is simply confirming what I have been saying all along,
A) agrees re: “contractural agreements between the AFL, it’s Clubs and the SANFL (SAFC) probably provide for this situation”
B) agrees re: “OK sure, due to it’s size, finance, history and affiliations it has some power over the administration of footy in SA”

C) please show anywhere where I have said the AFL needs SANFL permission to schedule AFL games. See point A)
I think maybe you need to go back read through the last couple of pages without you black and white striped afl glasses on ;)

Your “100% Spot On” comment at leasts shows signs we are finally getting through.

But for the pages where you both pretended the words "governing body" conferred some kind of mystical power.

Do you accept there's a distinction between bilateral contracts entered into between the SANFL and AFL Clubs and the concept of a "governing body" having total control of a sport?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 am

jo172 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
morell wrote:
RB wrote:Of course the AFL are a private league. It might get an enormous amount of exposure, and attract mass audiences, but it's still a private league. It has the right to determine its membership and do anything it damn well likes, within the law.

I agree that it's a moot point given that contractual agreements between the AFL, its clubs and the SANFL (or SAFC etc.) probably provide for this situation, but I find it utterly bewildering that grown adults don't understand that the SANFL has no real governing authority over football in this state. OK sure, due to its size, finance, history, and affiliations it has some de facto power over the administration of footy in SA, but to suggest that the AFL needs the SANFL's permission to schedule games here (except obviously on land owned by the SANFL), otherwise than where required under a contract, is ludicrous.

I think people on here know my thoughts about the AFL reserves sides, and I would be personally happy to see the back of the cancers ASAP, with or without compensation, but when someone makes stupid remarks I'm gonna call them out for what they are...

100% spot on

Having read it and, as instructed, read it again, RB is simply confirming what I have been saying all along,
A) agrees re: “contractural agreements between the AFL, it’s Clubs and the SANFL (SAFC) probably provide for this situation”
B) agrees re: “OK sure, due to it’s size, finance, history and affiliations it has some power over the administration of footy in SA”

C) please show anywhere where I have said the AFL needs SANFL permission to schedule AFL games. See point A)
I think maybe you need to go back read through the last couple of pages without you black and white striped afl glasses on ;)

Your “100% Spot On” comment at leasts shows signs we are finally getting through.

But for the pages where you both pretended the words "governing body" conferred some kind of mystical power.

Do you accept there's a distinction between bilateral contracts entered into between the SANFL and AFL Clubs and the concept of a "governing body" having total control of a sport?

Please don’t dramatise. Mystical Powers..... puhleeease ;) :)
I do t think I’ve ever inferred they had mystical powers or even ‘total’ control. You have to stop putting words into my mou.... posts.
And by the way, if the SAFC didn’t had some level of authority as the governing body why would the AFL need to enter into some ‘bilateral contracts’ with them in the first place.

I think this pond is all fished out now Jo.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 am

johntheclaret wrote:
jo172 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
morell wrote:100% spot on

Please don’t dramatise. Mystical Powers..... puhleeease ;) :)
I do t think I’ve ever inferred they had mystical powers or even ‘total’ control. You have to stop putting words into my mou.... posts.
And by the way, if the SAFC didn’t had some level of authority as the governing body why would the AFL need to enter into some ‘bilateral contracts’ with them in the first place.

I think this pond is all fished out now Jo.

No one is denying the authority of the SAFC to administer the SANFL hence why the AFC and PAFC needed to enter into the agreements to play in that competition.

People are denying the authority of the SAFC to tell people whether they are allowed to play football in this state (absent some other contractual agreement).

And I didn't put the words in your mouth, you posted it at page 388 of this thread.

johntheclaret wrote:
jo172 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Region.............................................................Governing body........................................Major competition(s)
Australian Capital Territory.........................AFL NSW/ACT.............................................North East Australian Football League / AFL Canberra
New South Wales New South Wales..........AFL/NSW/ACT............................................ North East Australian Football League / Sydney AFL
Northern Territory Northern Territory......AFL Northern Territory..........................…Northern Territory Football League
Queensland Queensland............................AFL Queensland........................................Queensland Australian Football League
South Australia South Australia.................South Australian Football Commission..South Australian National Football League
Tasmania Tasmania.....................................AFL Tasmania............................................Tasmanian Football League
Victoria (Australia) Victoria..........................AFL Victoria................................................Victorian Football League
Western Australia Western Australia........West Australian Football Commission....West Australian Football League

John, what is the basis of your assertion that the description "governing body" provides an exclusive right to sanction the playing of football?

Do you accept the Australian Cricket Board of Control was the governing body of Australian cricket during World Series Cricket?

Governing by its very nature retires the consent of the governed

Pull out your school dictionary and look up the word govern

Do you accept that you didn't understand what the word "govern" meant?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 am

Repeat: get out your school dictionary and look it up mate.
I feel like I’m in that film Groundhog Day :)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 am

johntheclaret wrote:Repeat: get out your school dictionary and look it up mate.

So it's not that you "didn't" know it's that you "don't" know.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am

Ned! Ned Ryerson!!
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 am

Spargo wrote:

Ned! Ned Ryerson!!

Just like that step, this discussion’s definitely been a doozy.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby morell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm

therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:Agreed Port should of left when going into the AFL but the SANFL didn't want to lose it's biggest commodity.
Interesting if they had have left if we would still hear the same froff about Port not being Port

.... And kill off the Magpies?
I've met plenty of Port fans that stuck by the black and white. They're the biggest sufferers in this whole saga IMO. The final tragedy being that now the Power might truly leave, they'll possibly sacrifice the Magpies in order to do it.
P.S WTF is Morrel doing back on this thread? Didn't he do the old "I'm too good for this and I ain't never coming back" spiel about one hundred pages ago?
Yes.

And no, I was being respectful and giving back the thread. Damned if you do and damned if you don't with you lot.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby marbles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 pm

jo172 wrote:
Do you accept that you didn't understand what the word "govern" meant?

*government
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:17 pm

therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:Agreed Port should of left when going into the AFL but the SANFL didn't want to lose it's biggest commodity.
Interesting if they had have left if we would still hear the same froff about Port not being Port

I've met plenty of Port fans that stuck by the black and white. They're the biggest sufferers in this whole saga IMO. The final tragedy being that now the Power might truly leave, they'll possibly sacrifice the Magpies in order to do it.
P.S WTF is Morrel doing back on this thread? Didn't he do the old "I'm too good for this and I ain't never coming back" spiel about one hundred pages ago?

Nah don’t worry about the real Magpies fans TRB, apparently they have plenty of Power fans now and don’t need them.

Re:Morrell ........ We wish!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby morell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 pm

"Real" Magpies fans.

I wonder. What's the qualification for being a "Real" Magpie's fan?
morell
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 pm

morell wrote:"Real" Magpies fans.

My thoughts on a real magpie fan is one that doesn’t throw their unquestioned support behind the very entity that has divided their club. Rather, they’re entitled to be a bit salty at them. The port magpies brand has been damaged by the afl arm of their club, this is not up for debate, and a real magpies fan won’t like it.
They’ve had an identity crisis at port since the power came into being - from distancing themselves from the magpies in the beginning to the ‘never tear us apart’ scheme at the moment, the power still aren’t universally accepted as the ‘real’ port adelaide. A real magpies fan, for mine, sees and acknowledges all this. I’m not saying they don’t have an interest in the power, but they don’t blindly just get on board.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby morell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

My thoughts on a real magpie fan is one that doesn’t throw their unquestioned support behind the very entity that has divided their club. Rather, they’re entitled to be a bit salty at them. The port magpies brand has been damaged by the afl arm of their club, this is not up for debate, and a real magpies fan won’t like it.
They’ve had an identity crisis at port since the power came into being - from distancing themselves from the magpies in the beginning to the ‘never tear us apart’ scheme at the moment, the power still aren’t universally accepted as the ‘real’ port adelaide. A real magpies fan, for mine, sees and acknowledges all this. I’m not saying they don’t have an interest in the power, but they don’t blindly just get on board.
What a load of drivel.

"doesn’t throw their unquestioned support behind the very entity that has divided their club" - there is no entity, there is no divide. It is one club, always has been, always will be. The fact there are few that can't let go, and it is just a few, doesn't change that. Port Adelaide moved to the AFL - if anything a real Port fan accepts that the Club needed a bigger pond to swim in, gets on board and *supports* the club with their time, money and emotion.

"The port magpies brand has been damaged by the afl arm of their club," - absolute rot. We're playing on the biggest stage in front of tens of thousands of people. We've won the greatest prize football can offer. We have tens of thousands of members. We have revenue one could've only dreamed of. We're the only traditional non Victorian club to have ever moved into the AFL. Port Adelaide's legacy has been further enhanced, magnified and added to. To deny that is to deny history. Indeed, the Port Adelaide story is extraordinary to everyone but the bitter and twisted fans of the SANFL.

"the power still aren’t universally accepted as the ‘real’ port adelaide" - crazy people will be crazy but there is only one club. Its a *tiny* minority that think otherwise, and they are abjectly and universally wrong.
morell
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Wow. So the Magpie fans are abjectly and universally wrong?

Kidding yourself
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby morell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Wow. So the Magpie fans are abjectly and universally wrong?

Kidding yourself
Wow. So *the club itself* is wrong and a few stubborn fools are right?

Kidding yourself.

I can't be any clearer that this - Magpies "fans" that think the SANFL team is the real Port and the Power are interlopers would constitute about 1% of the Port Adelaide Football Club community. If that. It's just that the tiny minority happen to congregate on safooty a bit and probably amongst the few that still go to SANFL games.

The remaining 99% would be on board with the One Club and the AFL - with various degrees of fervour, sure, but this really is a non-argument.
morell
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm

morell wrote:
kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

What a load of drivel.

"doesn’t throw their unquestioned support behind the very entity that has divided their club" - there is no entity, there is no divide. It is one club, always has been, always will be. The fact there are few that can't let go, and it is just a few, doesn't change that. Port Adelaide moved to the AFL - if anything a real Port fan accepts that the Club needed a bigger pond to swim in, gets on board and *supports* the club with their time, money and emotion.

"The port magpies brand has been damaged by the afl arm of their club," - absolute rot. We're playing on the biggest stage in front of tens of thousands of people. We've won the greatest prize football can offer. We have tens of thousands of members. We have revenue one could've only dreamed of. We're the only traditional non Victorian club to have ever moved into the AFL. Port Adelaide's legacy has been further enhanced, magnified and added to. To deny that is to deny history. Indeed, the Port Adelaide story is extraordinary to everyone but the bitter and twisted fans of the SANFL.

"the power still aren’t universally accepted as the ‘real’ port adelaide" - crazy people will be crazy but there is only one club. Its a *tiny* minority that think otherwise, and they are abjectly and universally wrong.

"doesn’t throw their unquestioned support behind the very entity that has divided their club" - there is no entity, there is no divide. It is one club, always has been, always will be. The fact there are few that can't let go, and it is just a few, doesn't change that. Port Adelaide moved to the AFL - if anything a real Port fan accepts that the Club needed a bigger pond to swim in, gets on board and *supports* the club with their time, money and emotion. Port have had more than one identity crisis in the last twenty years. From the power being at pains to distance themselves from the magpies in the beginning, to the ‘never tear us apart’ scheme now. It’s even gone as far as players, past and present, publicly condemning the seperate entities of the club. Do you conveniently brush over this stuff? Russell Ebert, until told to pull his head in, was outspoken on the issue. And we’d better not bring up Summerton’s backflip.

"The port magpies brand has been damaged by the afl arm of their club," - absolute rot. We're playing on the biggest stage in front of tens of thousands of people. We've won the greatest prize football can offer. We have tens of thousands of members. We have revenue one could've only dreamed of. We're the only traditional non Victorian club to have ever moved into the AFL. Port Adelaide's legacy has been further enhanced, magnified and added to. To deny that is to deny history. Indeed, the Port Adelaide story is extraordinary to everyone but the bitter and twisted fans of the SANFL. you keep saying ‘we’. Always referring to the power. This is a conversation about real magpies supporters. The magpies don’t play in front of big crowds anymore. You can’t honestly tell me that real magpies supporters took pleasure in the one year the power succeeded, while the magpies missed finals? And you speak of enhancing port’s legacy - while it’s a well-told joke, how funny do you think real magpie supporters found branded material over seats because there weren’t enough people invested in the club?

"the power still aren’t universally accepted as the ‘real’ port adelaide" - crazy people will be crazy but there is only one club. Its a *tiny* minority that think otherwise, and they are abjectly and universally wrong.[/quote] you often argue as if in the minority, but never more so than here
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:34 am

Come from Collingwood I’d guess ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

Everyone can relax or not it's really up to you but the AFL have said there will be no reserves comp in 2019.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rising Power » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 am

amber_fluid wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

Nah don’t worry about the real Magpies fans TRB, apparently they have plenty of Power fans now and don’t need them.

Re:Morrell ........ We wish!

Brian Cunningham must be a raving lunatic then, when he gives his version of events as the first PAFC CEO in the AFL, 29:00 to 34:00 marks - https://www.spreaker.com/user/portfanra ... esktop_app
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL