Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Right so 2 bowlers need to take the responsibility as well.....Sayers in, Lyon to Captain?
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:06 pm

RustyCage wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:Call me stupid, but who is makes up the leadership group apart from Smith and Warner?

Starc and Hazelwood

I cannot fathom either of those two being involved.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:17 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:Right so 2 bowlers need to take the responsibility as well.....Sayers in, Lyon to Captain?

I think Lyon is part of the leadership group too - certainly after 70 odd tests he is a senior player.

That's why I think CAs response so far is the best it can be given the circumstances.

Found out:

1. Whose idea it was,
2. who was part of the decision making process,
3. who knew about it and didn't take action to stop it (off field staff)
4. what were the factors that contributed to the decisions madeat lunch (moot point because no matter how you slice and dice it nothing that has happened in the last four weeks (Dave/Candice/SBW/De Cock fiasco, Rababda, sledging, microphones etc) can be used to justify this action).
5. What evidence the ICC has (corroborate information)

Then take action (fines/bans/stripping of positions).

ATM it's hard to see Smith remaining as captain, and Bancroft playing the next test.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Its not the worst ball tampering offence.
Anyone remember Afridi?
It is, however, the worst case of attempted cheating ever.
Worlds dumbest criminals here we come.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:33 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Magellan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Agreed, he isn’t young, but his spot in the team is the most fragile. When the leadership group and coach tell you to do something, you’d feel obliged

Indeed. Easy to say he should've told the leadership group he didn't want to be involved, but that's not the culture of Australian sporting teams - you do what the captain tell you to do (viz. the underarm incident), particularly when your position in the team is vulnerable.

This is what makes the tactic such a weak and cowardly act - Smith should've done it himself if he thought it was such as great idea, rather than pick on the weakest link.

Spot on my Explorer friend. Instructing your player to cheat is abhorrent and he has carefully picked his target here. He knew Bancroft would fall into line if it gave him a firmer grip on a Test spot.

Michael Clarke summed it up well overnight when said that a captain shouldn't make a player do something he's not prepared to do himself.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:08 pm

And so it begins.. Put your sticky tape out.

Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Just read Brett Geeves article...a little surprised at his wet lettuce leaf approach considering he went harder at Boof over something thats isnt even in the same ball park as this
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:52 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just read Brett Geeves article...a little surprised at his wet lettuce leaf approach considering he went harder at Boof over something thats isnt even in the same ball park as this

Got a link?
I can’t find it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1920119141333216&id=121538134524668

Cheers.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:06 pm

It's interesting what's happened over the last few year's on this forum, the dislike for the characters in the Australian test team has reached an all time high. Most of us think there's some real wankers in there. Not a new thing but it's hard to find many people who like Smith or Warner in here.

Not long ago these blokes threatened to boycott the Ashes if they didn't get a pay rise.

Then little Davey hears some nasty things said about his Mrs and wants to settle it out in the car park

Now the captain oversees blatant cheating.

I've read some pretty serious comments regarding the punishment of this Test team and I can't say I feel any of them are an over reaction. If the leaders knew about it or sanctioned it I'd be happy to never see them play for the country again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby locky801 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Left with that empty feeling, been a huge cricket supporter of the Australian side since i was about 5, how can some people be so stupid and go down this path. we as a nation and a sporting nation are bigger than this type of behaviour. We have always graciously accepted defeat, not tried to cheat our way back into a game or series.

Everyone saying SMITH and co have to go, those involved wont have a say in the matter, even if the ACB doesn't take substantial positive action, which i am sure they will, wait until the ICC get their claws in.

One feels we may have probably seen the last of a few players ever playing the game again and if that's the case rightly so.

There is no use in continuing this test or series, send them all home now, keeping them there is going to cause substantial problems on and ff the field.

I feel for those not involved but one would think the entire side would have been privvy to what was occurring
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3648 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Booney wrote:It's interesting what's happened over the last few year's on this forum, the dislike for the characters in the Australian test team has reached an all time high. Most of us think there's some real wankers in there. Not a new thing but it's hard to find many people who like Smith or Warner in here.

Not long ago these blokes threatened to boycott the Ashes if they didn't get a pay rise.

Then little Davey hears some nasty things said about his Mrs and wants to settle it out in the car park

Now the captain oversees blatant cheating.

I've read some pretty serious comments regarding the punishment of this Test team and I can't say I feel any of them are an over reaction. If the leaders knew about it or sanctioned it I'd be happy to never see them play for the country again.

I have never supported Warner no matter how good, bad or indifferent his performances on the field. I have regarded him as poison from day 1 and nothing has changed. Australian cricket is better of without him.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby MW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Interestingly the common suspension for ball tampering has been 1-2 games.
Does Bancroft get given the same type of sentence?
Does Smith get sacked by CA even if he is not charged by the ICC?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:06 pm

MW wrote:Interestingly the common suspension for ball tampering has been 1-2 games.

Yes. Weight of public opinion, past players including captains, respected media performers ie Robert Craddock and Peter Lalor, will all go towards the unravelling of our leadership group.

Even though other countries have been found guilty of ball tampering - Faf has been done twice and is still Captain - this will not be tolerated in Australia. Smith will lose the captaincy but continue playing. Similarly Warner will not have any leadership role but will continue to play.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby MW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:09 pm

I think its the right way to go
I hear Starc and Hazelwood are in the leadership group also...i hope it wasnt their idea...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 pm

If players do get suspended and Sayers or anyone else ends up making their debut next Test what a letdown it will be. You bust a gut to earn a spot in the Test team and you are picked largely because some filth has besmirched the game and has been banned. It would be a horrible environment to debut in.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:13 pm

MW wrote:I think its the right way to go
I hear Starc and Hazelwood are in the leadership group also...i hope it wasnt their idea...

I would be dead set flabbergasted if any of the bowlers were involved.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Grenville wrote:If players do get suspended and Sayers or anyone else ends up making their debut next Test what a letdown it will be. You bust a gut to earn a spot in the Test team and you are picked largely because some filth has besmirched the game and has been banned. It would be a horrible environment to debut in.

Take your chance however you get it. On face value Bancroft will miss at least the next Test, but i'm not so sure anyone else will. We will have a change of Captain though.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:14 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
MW wrote:Interestingly the common suspension for ball tampering has been 1-2 games.

Yes. Weight of public opinion, past players including captains, respected media performers ie Robert Craddock and Peter Lalor, will all go towards the unravelling of our leadership group.

Even though other countries have been found guilty of ball tampering - Faf has been done twice and is still Captain - this will not be tolerated in Australia. Smith will lose the captaincy but continue playing. Similarly Warner will not have any leadership role but will continue to play.

Smith needs to grow some balls for once and stand down as captain until CA and the ICC investigate the situation entirely and hand down their findings.
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket