Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:02 pm

morell wrote:Polec is an important part of our squad people. Provides a point of difference and when on song can cut sides to ribbons.

Keep telling yourself that :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:14 pm

morell wrote:
carey wrote:#closetportfan
#notsoclosetmorellfan

Bahahaha
Settle down lads you only beat the 2018 wooden spooners.

Now for a top 8 side eh?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby morell » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote:Polec is an important part of our squad people. Provides a point of difference and when on song can cut sides to ribbons.

I don't need to tell myself anything. It's the truth.

You can't have a team of inside ball winners and no outside run. Or players with the ability to change angles of ball movement. Especially in the modern AFL where the zones are so tight and well orchestrated. Polec does both those things for Port - he's no superstar, but he plays his role.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:29 pm

morell wrote:
Spargo wrote:

You can't have a team of inside ball winners and no outside run. Or players with the ability to change angles of ball movement. Especially in the modern AFL where the zones are so tight and well orchestrated. Polec does both those things for Port - he's no superstar, but he plays his role.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 pm

A big shout out to the 3 servos near me keeping their prices at 119 cents a litre this weekend despite others in the North and South putting theirs up to 149.
I Lol'd every time I went past them. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Wedgie wrote:A big shout out to the 3 servos near me keeping their prices at 119 cents a litre this weekend despite others in the North and South putting theirs up to 149.

How they tastin’ boss?

Spargo
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:A big shout out to the 3 servos near me keeping their prices at 119 cents a litre this weekend despite others in the North and South putting theirs up to 149.

How they tastin’ boss?

I’m guessing the Servo’s were down the Port?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:18 am

As expected. Midfield +10 in clearances even though Fremantle were +31 on hitouts,Port +13 I50, +15 marks I50 and 30 scoring shots to 15.

Hardly a guide given Fremantle will be bottom half dozen but we got what we wanted out of the game. Better ball use inside 50, Motlop and Watts bagging 5 between them and the likes of Marshall, Dixon and Wingard enjoying the extra targets to free them up. Boak very good as the high half forward and I like him in that role.

Only sour note is Ryder, could be anywhere from 1 to 12 weeks, I'm hearing 4-6 minimum. I think they'll bring in Frampton to play, as Clarkson says, that one soldier out, one soldier in system. Westhoff was clearly BOG on Saturday so I'd like to leave him playing as he did and Howard will be needed in defence as the tall key defender. I'd rather work on developing a ruckman than sacrificing a backman into another role.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby stan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 am

Interesting states there Boon. I think with Ryder out you need a genuine ruckmen in that role so as not to upset your team balance. I think this is a good week to blood a new ruckmen as you are up against Sinclair rather than say coming up against a Gawn or Jacobs.

I think Freo will be around the 8 -10 mark. I think any side with Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy and Neale through the middle will be competitive.

Still not sure about Port though.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:58 am

stan wrote:Interesting states there Boon. I think with Ryder out you need a genuine ruckmen in that role so as not to upset your team balance. I think this is a good week to blood a new ruckmen as you are up against Sinclair rather than say coming up against a Gawn or Jacobs.

I think Freo will be around the 8 -10 mark. I think any side with Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy and Neale through the middle will be competitive.

Would be very surprised if Freo aren’t bottom 4
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am

stan wrote:Interesting states there Boon. I think with Ryder out you need a genuine ruckmen in that role so as not to upset your team balance. I think this is a good week to blood a new ruckmen as you are up against Sinclair rather than say coming up against a Gawn or Jacobs.

They'll struggle to score, they've got limited F50 options, especially in the key posts. McCarthy is 193cm/83kg , Taberner 197/89, Kersten 191/92.

None of those three are real big blokes who will clunk marks, sure they'll bring the ball to the ground in contests for the little blokes ( as Howard's 22 spoils show ) from time to time but they're all lead up targets.

9 goals from 9 goal kickers means they're lacking a focal point, or two.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 am

Booney wrote:

They'll struggle to score, they've got limited F50 options, especially in the key posts. McCarthy is 193cm/83kg , Taberner 197/89, Kersten 191/92.

None of those three are real big blokes who will clunk marks, sure they'll bring the ball to the ground in contests for the little blokes ( as Howard's 22 spoils show ) from time to time but they're all lead up targets.

And with a Lyon coached side you are never going to get much more than 10-12 goals out of them. Teams like Port have the firepower to dismantle them
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mots02 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:12 am

Booney wrote:

Agree Freo look light on up front but thought they looked out-muscled and stretched for height across most of the ground. Didn't have anyone with the size or strength to go with the Port talls up forward either. Sydney this week will give a better indication of where Port sit.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:23 am

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

And morell is right, every side has lightly built outside runners who aren't there to bust the contested ball out.

You think Fremantle's Bradley Hill ( former Hawk ) or Geelong's Jordan Murdoch or Hawthorn's Isaac Smith are rough and tumble inside mids? No, they're not and don't pretend to be.

Hill averages 2 tackles per game, 4 contested and 15 uncontested possessions per game across his career.
Murdoch 3 tackles, 4 contested, 9 uncontested.
Smith 3 tackles, 5 CP and 15 UP.
Polec 3 tackles, 6 CP and 12 UP.

They all play a role, clue yourselves up. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:
#notsoclosetmorellfan

Bahahaha

Now for a top 8 side eh?

Fremantle were top 8 at start of the round as they go alphabetical order at the start of every year.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:11 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:
#notsoclosetmorellfan

Bahahaha

Now for a top 8 side eh?

Fremantle were top 8 at start of the round as they go alphabetical order at the start of every year.

I've heard of clutching at straws but........................
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Better off Jacobs than Sinclair I reckon.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm

RILEY BONNER has been rewarded for his outstanding performance against Fremantle in the season-opener, with the Round 1 NAB Rising Star nomination.

Bonner collected 31 disposals in a best-on-ground performance against the Dockers, in Port Adelaide’s 50-point victory at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening.

Port selected the silky left-footer with their first pick in the 2015 National Draft – pick 37 overall.

The 21-year-old made his debut against Gold Coast in Round 23, 2016 and then only managed three senior games last season.

But a big pre-season and strong performances in the JLT Community Series saw him named in the back pocket to face the Dockers.

He had a career-high 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 contested possessions at a disposal efficiency of 80.6 per cent.

Bonner is the club's second consecutive round 1 rising star nominee, after Sam Powell-Pepper was nominated against Sydney in 2017.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 pm

PORT ADELAIDE ruckman Paddy Ryder has been cleared of major damage to his Achilles tendon but still faces around a month on the sidelines as he recovers from tendonitis.

The club’s Head of High Performance, Ian McKeown, says Ryder felt discomfort early in the third quarter of Saturday’s 50-point win over Fremantle at Adelaide Oval.

“Paddy has been managing issues in that area for several years now so we got ice on it immediately and, as you saw, he took no further part in the game,” McKeown said.

“Given his history, we’ll be conservative be with his rehabilitation.”

Jared Polec reported soreness in his adductor following the weekend’s game. He’ll be assessed during the week to determine his fitness to face Sydney at the SCG on Easter Sunday.

Young midfielders Willem Drew and Cam Hewett will resume running next week as they recover from sore spots in their foot and shin respectively.

Veteran defender Matthew Broadbent will begin running the following week after having surgery on his ankle in mid-February

Injury List

Jared Polec – adductor (assess)

Paddy Ryder – Achilles tendon (5-6 weeks)

Jasper Pittard – hamstring (3-4 weeks)

Matthew Broadbent – ankle (TBC)

Willem Drew – foot (TBC)

Cameron Hewett – shin (TBC)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Booney wrote:RILEY BONNER has been rewarded for his outstanding performance against Fremantle in the season-opener, with the Round 1 NAB Rising Star nomination.

Bonner collected 31 disposals in a best-on-ground performance against the Dockers, in Port Adelaide’s 50-point victory at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening.

Port selected the silky left-footer with their first pick in the 2015 National Draft – pick 37 overall.

The 21-year-old made his debut against Gold Coast in Round 23, 2016 and then only managed three senior games last season.

But a big pre-season and strong performances in the JLT Community Series saw him named in the back pocket to face the Dockers.

He had a career-high 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 contested possessions at a disposal efficiency of 80.6 per cent.

Bonner is the club's second consecutive round 1 rising star nominee, after Sam Powell-Pepper was nominated against Sydney in 2017.

I think you blokes have got another ripper there Boon.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL